Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Online No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em online cash games of all stakes, including pot-limit and cap games.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #501
McAvoy
banned
 
McAvoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Apostle of Hope
Posts: 46,476
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

quick question,

how can I filter HUD so that it only displays hands from a current level? I have one villain who was a nit at 10nl but is now a TAG at 25nl but his nit stats are showing.
McAvoy is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #502
Bostik
old hand
 
Bostik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Outside the Bell Curve
Posts: 1,694
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAvoy View Post
My sex life disagrees wholeheartedly with that stance.
Yes, the exception to the rule.

Personally I prefer to have both quality AND quantity in my sex life. Lucky for me, my wife shares the opinion.
Bostik is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #503
entertainme
The Poker Mom
 
entertainme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,444
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptVimes View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Now is even worse cause I'm not playing at all due to work and won't again until after 4/15.
I really really don't envy you tax guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptVimes View Post
The way I think about it is that there several things in my life that are more important than poker. Family being first and foremost.
I do agree, and I really don't put any pressure on myself, money / level wise. After thinking about it, my current angst is over having all these learning tools available to me, and not feeling I have the time to devote to them.

For many years I've spent way too many hours at my desk every week. I'm really working at changing that and having a life in the evenings with my family. I am doing better in that regard, so I guess I have to be thankful for that over everything else.

In fact, I was just asking myself if something catastrophic happened would I regret the hours I've invested in poker? Unfortunately, the answer might be yes.

It's really not that important in the scope of everything else in my life. Sometimes it's just hard to remember that.
entertainme is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #504
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

somebody want to change account with me?

I most be honoust, I have been running bad for 30K hands now..
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #505
pele02
Pooh-Bah
 
pele02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Folding the nuts to a raise
Posts: 4,531
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAvoy View Post
quick question,

how can I filter HUD so that it only displays hands from a current level? I have one villain who was a nit at 10nl but is now a TAG at 25nl but his nit stats are showing.
In PT there is a check box which says something like "Only display stats from current level", it in the HUD configuration. Don't know how to do it in HEM.
pele02 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #506
Equus asinus
veteran
 
Equus asinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,842
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by entertainme View Post
For many years I've spent way too many hours at my desk every week. I'm really working at changing that and having a life in the evenings with my family. I am doing better in that regard, so I guess I have to be thankful for that over everything else.
+1 I am actually making it a goal to work less hard at work and be less dedicated. The corporate world transformed me very quickly from from young and gung ho to bitter and burnt out.
Equus asinus is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #507
McAvoy
banned
 
McAvoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Apostle of Hope
Posts: 46,476
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

thx pele
McAvoy is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #508
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Sorry to spew some of my thoughts here, but I am just getting really sick of it.

When I have the nuts, the donkey has exactly the same hand,
when I get aces, It's folded 6 times when I bet, the 7th time I get a call and for sure I lose against an unbelievable two pair or the 30/20 is all of a sudden in the top of his range with a set

Played 4000 hands today, and I can honoustly tell you I am at the point that I really never would expected somebody can run so bad for so long..

It's been going on for months now.. sometimes I get a small heater which makes me feel like it's finally changing, but one day later it's all gone again just because it get sucked out like crazy..
runner runner flush, runner runner straight, etc etc

I understand variance is "just a part of this game" but I am getting pretty sick of running so badly, I am almost at a point it really isn't fun to play anymore

is that the goal of a downswing? So I become a robot player?
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #509
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDataKid View Post
Sorry to spew some of my thoughts here, but I am just getting really sick of it.

When I have the nuts, the donkey has exactly the same hand,
when I get aces, It's folded 6 times when I bet, the 7th time I get a call and for sure I lose against an unbelievable two pair or the 30/20 is all of a sudden in the top of his range with a set

Played 4000 hands today, and I can honoustly tell you I am at the point that I really never would expected somebody can run so bad for so long..

It's been going on for months now.. sometimes I get a small heater which makes me feel like it's finally changing, but one day later it's all gone again just because it get sucked out like crazy..
runner runner flush, runner runner straight, etc etc

I understand variance is "just a part of this game" but I am getting pretty sick of running so badly, I am almost at a point it really isn't fun to play anymore

is that the goal of a downswing? So I become a robot player?
How much of a downswing? I'm on a 12 buy in downswing over about 23k hands.....its standard, just gotta keep playing through it. How many tables do u play?
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #510
notontilt09
chopping down Ivey
 
notontilt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Live Pro???????
Posts: 5,764
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

so apparently sometime during my 21st bday party last night, i ventured off into my room and played jason01473892472 some 50nl HU.

I have no recollection of this. Somehow I only lost 1/2 BI... here are some usefull HH's.


Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 30350
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN/SB: $96.25
Hero (BB): $52.60

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with K K
BTN/SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $4.75, BTN/SB calls $3.25

Flop: ($9.50) Q K Q (2 players)
Hero bets $2, BTN/SB calls $2

Turn: ($13.50) J (2 players)
Hero bets $7, BTN/SB calls $7

River: ($27.50) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $38.85 all in, BTN/SB calls $38.85

Final Pot: $105.20
BTN/SB mucks 9 A
Hero shows K K (a full house, Kings full of Queens)
Hero wins $104.70
(Rake: $0.50)




Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 30351
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: $169.95
Hero (BTN/SB): $51.35

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN/SB with 5 J
Hero raises to $51.35 all in, BB calls $50.85

Flop: ($102.70) 5 T T (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: ($102.70) 8 (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($102.70) K (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $102.70
BB shows A 7 (a pair of Tens)
Hero shows 5 J (two pair, Tens and Fives)
Hero wins $102.20
(Rake: $0.50)



Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 30353
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN/SB: $173.65
Hero (BB): $97.00

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 5 5
BTN/SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $2.50, BTN/SB calls $1

Flop: ($5.00) T 2 2 (2 players)
Hero bets $3.50, BTN/SB calls $3.50

Turn: ($12.00) A (2 players)
Hero bets $3, BTN/SB calls $3

River: ($18.00) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.50, BTN/SB raises to $14, Hero calls $13.50

Final Pot: $46.00
BTN/SB shows 8 5 (a pair of Deuces)
Hero shows 5 5 (two pair, Fives and Deuces)
Hero wins $45.50
(Rake: $0.50)


Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 30354
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN/SB: $118.60
Hero (BB): $102.20

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 6 A
BTN/SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $102.20 all in, BTN/SB calls $100.70

Flop: ($204.40) 2 5 8 (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: ($204.40) A (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($204.40) 9 (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $204.40
BTN/SB shows A J (a pair of Aces - Jack kicker)
Hero shows 6 A (a pair of Aces)
BTN/SB wins $203.90
(Rake: $0.50)



Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 30355
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: $50.00
Hero (BTN/SB): $50.25

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN/SB with K 4
Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $5, Hero raises to $50.25 all in, BB calls $45 all in

Flop: ($100.00) 8 Q T (2 players - 2 are all in)

Turn: ($100.00) 5 (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: ($100.00) 9 (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: $100.00
BB shows 8 8 (three of a kind, Eights)
Hero mucks K 4
BB wins $99.50
(Rake: $0.50)
notontilt09 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #511
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Well, it's come to a point where I really believe this is normal and I don't even count the "how many BIs anymore", not doable , and this is how I am going to run the rest for my life,
cleaned my database a few times (PC crash and such) so I can't really tell how much of a downswing I am having..
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #512
Conan776
Pooh-Bah
 
Conan776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of the Great Blue Hill
Posts: 3,703
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzor View Post
The Kool Aid I'm drinking can be briefly explained here.
You know gold is just a shiny rock right?

Quote:
Social security seems like a bad idea now because it always was a bad idea.
Hmmm. So you'd much rather see elderly people homeless and in poverty? After working hard their whole lives? That's not much of a motivator for younger workers to keep grinding, DUCY?
Conan776 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #513
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

One thing you gotta understand is grinding poker is a major long term grind. 30k hands isn't really a big enough sample to see how you would end up long term. Like you could be running ****ty for 30k hands, then the next 30k hands you could run like god and completely run it back up. One thing you could do is seek some coaching and see if they can find any leaks and get them plugged, but aside from that if you're committed to trying to build your bankroll then you just need to grind through the hard times and enjoy the good times.
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #514
SammyG-SD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SammyG-SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Original Bacon MVP
Posts: 12,600
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPixel View Post
Looks good, there's no better strategy in the long run though. Simpler way of looking at it:

EV of 1 spin is $2.
EV of 2 spins is 0.1 x $4 + 0.2 x $3 (win $3 or $4) + 0.7 x $2 (take another spin if not) = $2.4
EV of 3 spins is 0.1 x $4 + 0.2 x $3 (win $3 or $4) + 0.7 x $2.4 (take another 2 spins if not) = $2.68 hence free monies!!!
This would be full credit, but its actually spin 3 is worth $2 (because that is the EV and you would have to take that spin as its no choice, and I think that is what you meant)
Spin 2 is 2.4 and Spin 1 is $2.68

Here is what it looks like

Spin 3 worth $2


Spin 2 and 3 have a combine value of 4*(.1) + 3*(.2) + 2*(.3) +2*(.4)= $2.40 (since if you spin $1, you go to Spin 3 which has an expectation of $2.)

Spin 1 has a value of $4*(.1) + $3*(.2) + $ 2.4*(.3) + $2.4*(.4) = $2.68

So if you play this game 1000 times you make $118.

This is an interesting problem (for a math geek), because it demonstrates how a single event +EV (which by definition you can't do better than), is affective by a decision theory if the single +EV are tied together. If you just look at the +EV of a single spin and base your strategy on that you don't maximize full profits.

Now EV by itself is only valid when its a single player vs. nature in a repeatable decision. Game theory needs to be use when its player vs. player(s), but it gets really complicated when we start having more than two options.

Lets do the batter vs. pitcher game.

So a batter is facing a pitcher that has two pitches Fastball and Curveball.

If the Batter is expecting Fastball and gets a Fastball he hits .300
if he is expecting Fastball and gets a Curveball he hits .200
If he is expecting Curve and gets Fastball he hits .100
If he is expecting Curve and gets Curve he hits .500

What is the EV of his at bat?
SammyG-SD is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #515
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds0699 View Post
One thing you gotta understand is grinding poker is a major long term grind. 30k hands isn't really a big enough sample to see how you would end up long term. Like you could be running ****ty for 30k hands, then the next 30k hands you could run like god and completely run it back up. One thing you could do is seek some coaching and see if they can find any leaks and get them plugged, but aside from that if you're committed to trying to build your bankroll then you just need to grind through the hard times and enjoy the good times.
Thanks for the advice and without trying to be arrogant: I know all of this

I am just saying I am pretty much sick of running bad for almost 4 months in a row now, its way more then 30K hands, only this week I played 25K hands, and I am running bad for atleast 3 months now

you do the calculation
Still thanks for being the only one giving a damn lol
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #516
richbrown360
Pooh-Bah
 
richbrown360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In Thailand
Posts: 4,571
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Fark! I'm 25 in 6 hours!
richbrown360 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #517
kflip
old hand
 
kflip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Subspace
Posts: 1,353
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrown360 View Post
Fark! I'm 25 in 6 hours!
Woo-haah, have a nice party!!!
kflip is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #518
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDataKid View Post
Thanks for the advice and without trying to be arrogant: I know all of this

I am just saying I am pretty much sick of running bad for almost 4 months in a row now, its way more then 30K hands, only this week I played 25K hands, and I am running bad for atleast 3 months now

you do the calculation
Still thanks for being the only one giving a damn lol
Meh, we all get frustrated. I like breaks Hope it turns for ya soon.
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #519
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Ty sir, i hope it to!
well, atleast we got rakeback
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #520
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Couple of questions for you guys.

1) I feel comfortable playing 100-150 BB's deep, but once I get up to 200+ BB's deep I don't really feel comfortable playing that big of a stack. Is it crazy to get up and find a new table when I get 200+ BB's deep? Or is that very -ev?

2) How long of a session do you guys think is optimal? I generally play several 500 - 1000 hand sessions each day, would it generally be better if I played like 2 sessions of 2000 hands? Overall thoughts on length of sessions would be awesome. (Note I play 4-6 tables of $50NL FR)
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #521
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Learn to feel comfortable with playing for 200BB, if a huge fish has 150BB and you have 200BB, you should be glad getting it in where your hand is big enough for the situation

the answer to question 2 is uh villian depended lol, I normally play 3 hours in the morning, 3 hours at night,
When I am stuck I keep playing, one of my leaks atm which i will break this weekend
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #522
pele02
Pooh-Bah
 
pele02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Folding the nuts to a raise
Posts: 4,531
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds0699 View Post
Couple of questions for you guys.

1) I feel comfortable playing 100-150 BB's deep, but once I get up to 200+ BB's deep I don't really feel comfortable playing that big of a stack. Is it crazy to get up and find a new table when I get 200+ BB's deep? Or is that very -ev?

2) How long of a session do you guys think is optimal? I generally play several 500 - 1000 hand sessions each day, would it generally be better if I played like 2 sessions of 2000 hands? Overall thoughts on length of sessions would be awesome. (Note I play 4-6 tables of $50NL FR)
1. Don't know b/c I have never had a 200bb stack at a table

2. I like playing more short sessions than a few long ones. Helps me play my A game the whole session.
pele02 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #523
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

funny thing:
Those points you have to get for stox:
Yesterday I played 3K hands, today I played 4k, and I am @ 62% of my points..(8-tabling)

So, it's a grind, but you'll get trough it.
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #524
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDataKid View Post
Learn to feel comfortable with playing for 200BB, if a huge fish has 150BB and you have 200BB, you should be glad getting it in where your hand is big enough for the situation

the answer to question 2 is uh villian depended lol, I normally play 3 hours in the morning, 3 hours at night,
When I am stuck I keep playing, one of my leaks atm which i will break this weekend
Ya I do need to learn to play 200+ BB stacks more effectively, just haven't played that deep enough to feel comfortable. I actually set a stop loss of 2 buy ins per session, so if I lose 2 buy ins in a session then I stop and take a break for at least an hour. That helps me maintain my focus and avoid tilting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele02 View Post
1. Don't know b/c I have never had a 200bb stack at a table

2. I like playing more short sessions than a few long ones. Helps me play my A game the whole session.
Ya I agree for the most part on the shorter sessions, I actually do the shorter sessions regardless of how much I'm winning/losing so I think that during good winning sessions I may be passing up +EV situations/sessions by keeping the sessions short?
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #525
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

having a stop loss is something I am going to try from now on, I think it's a good way to maintain focus

Quote:
Ya I agree for the most part on the shorter sessions, I actually do the shorter sessions regardless of how much I'm winning/losing so I think that during good winning sessions I may be passing up EV by keeping the sessions short?
Well,

I don't know about this. I had a very swingy session today, and the thing is: you really can't thell when you are going to start running bad.
I started my session where I had KK vs AA and set vs in the first 50 hands I played, so that started great, then I had some small pots etc etc, the break even crap, after that I won 2 BIs + another 2.. and was running a bit better,
after those I started to get set vs set and AK vs 2 pair against fish again ..

So I don't really think it's -EV to stop playing because you are running good. It's something you do to maintain focus and keep playing right.
I played a bit to long today but I am in some sort of grind-mode atm where I just want to keep grinding and grinding,
but yeah
maybe I really should stick to my plan to play 3 hours in the morning and 3 at night, way better i guess
TheDataKid is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive