Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Online No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em online cash games of all stakes, including pot-limit and cap games.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #526
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDataKid View Post
having a stop loss is something I am going to try from now on, I think it's a good way to maintain focus
I very much agree.
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #527
McAvoy
banned
 
McAvoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Apostle of Hope
Posts: 46,476
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds0699 View Post
1) I feel comfortable playing 100-150 BB's deep, but once I get up to 200+ BB's deep I don't really feel comfortable playing that big of a stack. Is it crazy to get up and find a new table when I get 200+ BB's deep? Or is that very -ev?
I often debate this, I play a very aggressive and swongy style, its annoying to build a double stack only to lose it. However if the table is super fishy, I'll stick around. Last night I built my stack up to 320BB until the fish left.

However if its just a loose table and I'm not building up after an orbit or two, I'll leave and find another juicy table.
McAvoy is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #528
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

I think it's impossible to keep avoiding playing 200BB deep, that should mean you are going to leave the table every time you double up?

I dislike this for 2 reasons:
1. I think it's kinda unethical, you win a pot and leave right after it, I don't like it when players do that, I always give people the change to win their stack back (which they most of the time don't get but still)

2. you should only move tables because of the fact it ain't juicy anymore. + It's a great way to get used to the level you are heading for!
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #529
KurtSF
Lucky Number Seven
 
KurtSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 0EV against everyone ... seriously
Posts: 16,471
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus asinus View Post
+1 I am actually making it a goal to work less hard at work and be less dedicated. The corporate world transformed me very quickly from from young and gung ho to bitter and burnt out.
lol I know what you mean. I dropped out after a couple years and became a homeless hippie instead. I'm walking the middle path now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan776 View Post
That's not much of a motivator for younger workers to keep grinding, DUCY?
lol @ anyone <40 ever seeing a dime from social security imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG-SD View Post
Lets do the batter vs. pitcher game.

So a batter is facing a pitcher that has two pitches Fastball and Curveball.

If the Batter is expecting Fastball and gets a Fastball he hits .300
if he is expecting Fastball and gets a Curveball he hits .200
If he is expecting Curve and gets Fastball he hits .100
If he is expecting Curve and gets Curve he hits .500

What is the EV of his at bat?
Oh snap, this is insane complicated. I need a spreadsheet.

And I need to know the % the pitcher throws each pitch for a strike.
KurtSF is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #530
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDataKid View Post
I think it's impossible to keep avoiding playing 200BB deep, that should mean you are going to leave the table every time you double up?

I dislike this for 2 reasons:
1. I think it's kinda unethical, you win a pot and leave right after it, I don't like it when players do that, I always give people the change to win their stack back (which they most of the time don't get but still)

2. you should only move tables because of the fact it ain't juicy anymore. + It's a great way to get used to the level you are heading for!
I disagree with you on #1, who says you have to give them the chance to get their money back? I do kinda agree with you on #2, hence why I'm debating it.
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #531
KurtSF
Lucky Number Seven
 
KurtSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 0EV against everyone ... seriously
Posts: 16,471
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtSF View Post
Oh snap, this is insane complicated. I need a spreadsheet.

And I need to know the % the pitcher throws each pitch for a strike.
Also need to know the hitters BABIP. And his contact %. And the % of time he swings at a pitch that isn't in the strikezone.

Actually, now that I think through it, we're obviously not thinking about this the same way.

Is this a one pitch at bat?????
KurtSF is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #532
McAvoy
banned
 
McAvoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Apostle of Hope
Posts: 46,476
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

I didn't say I leave immediately after. I don't understand why its unethical to rathole though? I personally don't do it but I don't have a problem with the SS'ers who constantly do it. Its part of the game, nothing against the rules in doing so. Its just as unethical as slow playing, which is part of the game, or bluffing for that matter.

If I was a SS'er though, I'd be too cheap to leave immediately, I paid my blinds and I'd want to get every free card I'm entitled to.

But I do agree with your second point. I think I will stick around more to get use to having basically 50nl money on the table. Unless it dries up of course.
McAvoy is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #533
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

I always stay 100 BB's deep at all times, I use the auto top off thing. I just haven't felt comfortable playing 200+ BB stacks, so what I usually do is if I get a 200+ BB stack, I'll stay for another orbit or 2 and end up leaving. However, maybe I should stop doing that, thats why I was asking.
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #534
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

I just don't like to move around because of the fact I have won a stack.

I move tables constantly, I am table select nit, I only play the juicy tables and refuse to play with a lot of regs or shortstackers

But I won't move because I doubled up, okay, saying it's unethical and you should give people a change to win their stack back is silly, I always forget on the internet you can't say stuf like that without making clear you are not really serious.

But I dislike moving because of the fact I just doubled up and I could lose 200BB because somebody has the same $$ as me
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #535
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Fair enough, I appreciate your thoughts ... I wanted to see what others think
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #536
SammyG-SD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SammyG-SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Original Bacon MVP
Posts: 12,600
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtSF View Post
Also need to know the hitters BABIP. And his contact %. And the % of time he swings at a pitch that isn't in the strikezone.

Actually, now that I think through it, we're obviously not thinking about this the same way.

Is this a one pitch at bat?????
just base it on the % I gave you and 1 pitch.
SammyG-SD is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #537
Conan776
Pooh-Bah
 
Conan776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of the Great Blue Hill
Posts: 3,702
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Who's on first??
Conan776 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #538
kflip
old hand
 
kflip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Subspace
Posts: 1,353
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Hey TDK, you can't just say "I'm running bad", only "I've been running bad for x hands/weeks/month". I know it sounds like nit-picking, but keeping that in mind is important imo.
The outcome of every single hand is statistically distributed and independent of any previous hands. You could win the next 10 flips in a row, doesn't matter if you've been running bad in the last x ones.

Yeah it's obvious, but always thinking about it that way helps at least me overcome things like "all-in EV bumps" or a recent unusual concentration of coolers. Avoid getting in a state of mind where you expect to lose, that's actually a form of tilt!
kflip is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #539
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Thank you very much Kflip and you are totally right, I am starting to forget that because it has been going on for a long time..

I don't really know how I feel about it, when I start playing I always feel good/normal. I just say to myself: "well, we will see what it brings", then I start playing and I am feeling good because I play well,
then I am totally card dead and lose 2bi's to coolers and bad beats.
I think in some sort of mixed-feelings about poker at the moment.
I know I will grind it trough, on the other hand I just want it to happen today
I know it's just variance, on the other hand I feel like the poker gods are just picking on me

Ty again, and you are totally right. I have to keep that in mind because I am really starting to forget it
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #540
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Its so awesome when you find a leak and plug it! I found one and I'm fixing it
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #541
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds0699 View Post
Its so awesome when you find a leak and plug it! I found one and I'm fixing it
yeah, it's a shame you didn't discover the chat-thread earlier
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #542
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Ya I lurked on 2+2 for a while before posting. I'm really trying to improve my overall game so I decided to get more active. The leak i found is I'm trying to outplay everyone in every pot, I am working on learning to let some of the more avg spots go and look for more +ev spots to play in instead. Its worked wonders since I have got that in mind, I'm +2 buy ins today in my 1st session
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #543
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

good, it's not about winning pots, it's about winning money
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #544
cds0699
LOSING
 
cds0699's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,028
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

For sure
cds0699 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #545
McAvoy
banned
 
McAvoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Apostle of Hope
Posts: 46,476
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

TDK,

Are you sure alot of it is not in your head. I've got a good friend that is constantly telling me how he gets sucked out on, how he always gets rivered. He's a winning player but all I ever hear is how he constantly run bad.

You'd swear to god he's been on a 1 million k downswing hand.

That being said, I recently read Theory of Poker and I remember something from the introduction, it said that good players will always get sucked out on more than typical players because they are getting the money in good.
McAvoy is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #546
KurtSF
Lucky Number Seven
 
KurtSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 0EV against everyone ... seriously
Posts: 16,471
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG-SD View Post
just base it on the % I gave you and 1 pitch.
Ah, one pitch!

I was building a tree starting the count at 0-0 with the pitcher's probability of throwing a strike/curve on that count, then moving down the tree as the count changes to 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, etc. Heh....

OK, one pitch. Do we have historical information on the mix of pitches this pitcher throws? 50-50, or is this an optimization problem?
KurtSF is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #547
SammyG-SD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SammyG-SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Original Bacon MVP
Posts: 12,600
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtSF View Post
Ah, one pitch!

I was building a tree starting the count at 0-0 with the pitcher's probability of throwing a strike/curve on that count, then moving down the tree as the count changes to 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, etc. Heh....

OK, one pitch. Do we have historical information on the mix of pitches this pitcher throws? 50-50, or is this an optimization problem?
I think you are overthinking it.....try it graphically first.
SammyG-SD is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #548
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

A downswing is always in your head, because you actually have no idea if you start to run normal again, run bad or preparing for a heater.
Just like Kflip says @ the previous page.

I was just getting a bit sick of it, and had to spew it out.

But thanks for the words, I will keep it in mind I am just getting sucked out more then the average player
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #549
pele02
Pooh-Bah
 
pele02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Folding the nuts to a raise
Posts: 4,531
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Got damn fish in a luckbox 2-outer ****!

pele02 is offline  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #550
phidelt799
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Not a verified coach
Posts: 964
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Has anybody noticed that pokrtableratings is getting less and less accurate? They used to be 95% on but now many of my sessions aren't even close to accurate.
phidelt799 is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive