Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
President Trump President Trump

03-06-2017 , 12:59 PM
There are good hospitals all over the world, dude. If they aren't directly in the country you're in and you have plenty of money, you just fly a country or two over. It's absolutely true.
03-06-2017 , 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert
The problem with "USA is great if you have lots of money" is yeah, of course it is. But so is everywhere else in the world.
True. For me it boils down to how affordable and available it is to those not earning alot of money.
03-06-2017 , 01:05 PM
In fact, health care in the U.S. is so absurdly inefficient (expensive), millions of Americans every year actually go elsewhere to seek medical treatment. People with money shop around, no matter where they live.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/27...vel/index.html
Quote:
Sandra Giustina is a 61-year-old uninsured American. For three years she saved her money in hopes of affording heart surgery to correct her atrial fibrillation. "They [U.S. hospitals] told me it would be about $175,000, and there was just no way could I come up with that," Giustina said.

So, with a little digging online, she found several high quality hospitals vying for her business, at a fraction of the U.S. cost. Within a month, she was on a plane from her home in Las Vegas, Nevada, to New Delhi, India. Surgeons at Max Hospital fixed her heart for "under $10,000 total, including travel."

Giustina is just one of millions around the world journeying outside their native land for medical treatment, a phenomenon known as "medical tourism." Experts say the trend in global health care has just begun. Next year alone, an estimated 6 million Americans will travel abroad for surgery, according to a 2008 Deloitte study. "Medical care in countries such as India, Thailand and Singapore can cost as little as 10 percent of the cost of comparable care in the United States," the report found.
03-06-2017 , 01:07 PM
I know part of the fun of being from different places is the banter about ignorant and obese Americans vs. poor and filthy Eurotrash, but watching someone's head explode as they find out that not everyone in the world thinks USA#1!!! (and not just because they hate your freedom) never ceases to amaze me.
03-06-2017 , 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert
There are good hospitals all over the world, dude. If they aren't directly in the country you're in and you have plenty of money, you just fly a country or two over. It's absolutely true.
You've convinced me. I'll move to the Congo and if I ever need triple bypass I'll just hop on a plane to the Cleveland clinic.
03-06-2017 , 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesman87
I know part of the fun of being from different places is the banter about ignorant and obese Americans vs. poor and filthy Eurotrash, but watching someone's head explode as they find out that not everyone in the world thinks USA#1!!! (and not just because they hate your freedom) never ceases to amaze me.
Mong literally said he thought nearly everyone in the world would live in America given the chance. How do you fix that kind of stupidity? Mong might not necessarily be lying about his anecdote, but you can find poll after poll where Canadian healthcare is a source of pride. It's like our number two favorite thing after hockey and before tim hortons.

Now that wil finds out more Americans leave the USA for treatment than Canadians I wonder what he will do with that info!?!

Last edited by aoFrantic; 03-06-2017 at 02:00 PM.
03-06-2017 , 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesman87
I know part of the fun of being from different places is the banter about ignorant and obese Americans vs. poor and filthy Eurotrash, but watching someone's head explode as they find out that not everyone in the world thinks USA#1!!! (and not just because they hate your freedom) never ceases to amaze me.
Americans are definately fat no doubt. USA is still number 1!
03-06-2017 , 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466
You've convinced me. I'll move to the Congo and if I ever need triple bypass I'll just hop on a plane to the Cleveland clinic.
They have a lovely facility in Somalia.
03-06-2017 , 02:04 PM
Mong, my parents are wealthy. They have a very nice place despite us living somewhere with very low cost of living. That same place would easily be ~7 million or more in Toronto or Vancouver. About 5 years ago my dad had a major heart operation, receiving a triple bypass and a pacemaker. He spent about a month in hospital. Both of my parents were retired at the time, but not old enough for medicaid5in the USA . In the US system, how do they avoid going broke here? How is that better than the excellent treatment he received for a bump in his taxes while he was working?
03-06-2017 , 02:08 PM
Lol @ 7 million in Vancouver. Hahahahahahahaha.
03-06-2017 , 02:13 PM
Wil, did you not know thats been like huge national news for about a year in Canada? There are parts of Vancouver that have houses worth millions bought exclusively by Chinese businessman to park assets. There are entire neighborhoods that barely anybody lives in. They've created a few laws to try and stifle this. In Toronto, if you even list an asking price you're a fish. Vancouver has the most insane real Estate market in all of North America. Not surprised it's another thing you had no idea about!
03-06-2017 , 02:16 PM
There's a whole wide world that exists outside of the terrifying fake reality Fox Noise is trying to feed you. ^^^^^^^^^^^^
03-06-2017 , 02:18 PM
Like, the housing bubble in Vancouver is starting to burst but for the last 3 to 5 years their real Estate has been the craziest and most overpriced in all of North America. Wil just never does basic research though.
03-06-2017 , 02:19 PM
Oh, I actually know a bit about the Vancouver market and the tax they put down on foreign money to stem the tide. The Vancouver housing market may the most ridiculous on the planet due to the Chinese money flooding it.

What is funny is you saying your parents house would be 7 million there. No offense, but someone could own a very nice house out in the middle of nowhere for 300k and it would be worth an absolute fortune in a city like Vancouver. You could literally buy a house for 1,000 dollars in Detroit and if you could move it to Vancouver you could sell it for 2 million dollars.

If we could just figure out how to move it there, we'd be rich!

Lol @ your argument here. Hilarious. What's even funnier is you assumed I knew nothing about it.
03-06-2017 , 02:21 PM
Great job COMPLETELY missing the point!
03-06-2017 , 02:23 PM
So, your argument is that you don't think 4800 sq feet and 2 acres of land wouldnt be worth 7 mill in Vancouver? I don't get why you pick the dumbest of little fights. Isn't it exhausting? If your takeaway from the Healthcare post was that...what can I say?

This pettiness is genuinely worse than just being uninformed again. I was actually looking up Toronto and Vancouver comparables recently because I, like you am house shopping. I'm just much younger than you.
03-06-2017 , 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466
Lol @ 7 million in Vancouver. Hahahahahahahaha.
Google is your friend. Real estate in those two cities is insane.
03-06-2017 , 02:28 PM
Wil missed the point so bad you guys don't even see where his thought process is at. He thinks you want to sell your house for 7 million.
03-06-2017 , 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic
Mong literally said he thought nearly everyone in the world would live in America given the chance. How do you fix that kind of stupidity? Mong might not necessarily be lying about his anecdote, but you can find poll after poll where Canadian healthcare is a source of pride. It's like our number two favorite thing after hockey and before tim hortons.

Now that wil finds out more Americans leave the USA for treatment than Canadians I wonder what he will do with that info!?!
The NHS in the UK is sacrosanct. It's one of those things where even when you know the right wingers want to erode or dismantle it, they still won't dare say it. I don't think a party could maintain any credibility here if they came out against it. That's how highly it's valued culturally. People like Mong and Wil don't know about anything beyond their superficial USA#1 view of the world within their horizons, and so the idea that any number of people abroad prefer to stay somewhere with those protections is beyond their comprehension.

The friend I was staying with when I visited the US was in a bind because they were at risk of losing their insurance and with their pre-existing conditions weren't certain of finding anything remotely affordable. Meanwhile, being on similar medication, I was thinking about how that costs me ~8 a month, unless I become unemployed, retired, a full-time student, on income support benefits and, if time travel becomes possible, become below the age of 16 again. And how it would still cost me that same 8 if I'd needed ten other medications to go with it. In spite of all the great things the USA has to offer, I wouldn't have traded places.
03-06-2017 , 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic
So, your argument is that you don't think 4800 sq feet and 2 acres of land wouldnt be worth 7 mill in Vancouver? I don't get why you pick the dumbest of little fights. Isn't it exhausting? If your takeaway from the Healthcare post was that...what can I say?

This pettiness is genuinely worse than just being uninformed again. I was actually looking up Toronto and Vancouver comparables recently because I, like you am house shopping. I'm just much younger than you.
Because like with every argument you are being purposefully misleading. Do you think we are stupid people or we don't read about things like real estate values, especially the ones that are on the extreme end of it? What are you going to tell us next, that San Francisco is expensive too?

It's just humorous you say something like "my parents are wealthy, their house would be worth 7 million in Vancouver!". Yeah dude, I could never work another day in my life if I move to Thailand right now. Guess what? Your parents house isn't in Vancouver and I'm not moving to Thailand.
03-06-2017 , 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1973
Google is your friend. Real estate in those two cities is insane.
Yes I know. I am aware. Everyone is aware.
03-06-2017 , 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466
I think this is just yet another example of how vacuous and ridiculous you and aofrantics arguments really are. They are borderline absurd.
Every time you totally miss a clear point someone's made, you make a post like this as an attempt at deflection.

Now as a fan of anecdotes, how about addressing aoFrantic's interesting point about his father's heart operation?

Quote:
Mong, my parents are wealthy. They have a very nice place despite us living somewhere with very low cost of living. That same place would easily be ~7 million or more in Toronto or Vancouver. About 5 years ago my dad had a major heart operation, receiving a triple bypass and a pacemaker. He spent about a month in hospital. Both of my parents were retired at the time, but not old enough for medicaid5in the USA . In the US system, how do they avoid going broke here? How is that better than the excellent treatment he received for a bump in his taxes while he was working?
03-06-2017 , 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrezi
Every time you totally miss a clear point someone's made, you make a post like this as an attempt at deflection.

Now as a fan of anecdotes, how about addressing aoFrantic's interesting point about his father's heart operation?
Oh, I wasn't deflecting. He mentioned his parents wealth in that story for what reason, exactly?
03-06-2017 , 02:53 PM
To show that a heart condition could have crippled them forever financially.

      
m