Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #3051
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Because like with every argument you are being purposefully misleading. Do you think we are stupid people or we don't read about things like real estate values, especially the ones that are on the extreme end of it? What are you going to tell us next, that San Francisco is expensive too?

It's just humorous you say something like "my parents are wealthy, their house would be worth 7 million in Vancouver!". Yeah dude, I could never work another day in my life if I move to Thailand right now. Guess what? Your parents house isn't in Vancouver and I'm not moving to Thailand.
...You are completely missing the point. How do you always latch onto something completely wrong, miss the point completely and make an ass of yourself in a derail while not responding to the premise? Literally every other person understood the entire post. How does it feel to be continually the only person who doesn't grasp simple arguments?

Here, I'll put it in point form because you and DJT get your outlines the same way

My parents are wealthy, have considerable assets despite living somewhere with very low cost of living
They have never had health problems before
My Dad needed a major heart operation that would have cost nearly 7 figures according to some research on avg costs in USA
They were both retired, but not at an age where they qualified for medicaid being in their 50s.

From my understanding of the pre-ACA system, they'd be ****ed. Post ACA, they're still paying quite a bit a month. Am I wrong? (The operation happened just around when the ACA went into effect, might be slightly off by a year)
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #3052
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,566
Re: President Trump

.... and what exactly did pointing out that his home value is significantly less than vancouver real estate achieve?

what he wanted to say, is if he was rich (which he isn't) and he wasnt insured (which he is) he could have been wiped out

the problem with this story is that if you have a 7 million dollar house to lose its obvious you need all kinds of insurance and people in that position do. if you have a trailer on an acre in saskatchewan with a market value of 100k, it makes far less sense and in that situation people actually do have a lot less insurance

this is just a weird person being weird. the real estate was just added to the story to be misleading
juan valdez is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #3053
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

I'll answer for you, then.

He mentioned his parents massive fortune and their house that is worth about 7 million (if they could just teleport it to the middle of Vancouver, mind you) to make the point that even very wealthy people with assets can't afford surgery in the united States! If they don't have insurance, they go broke and die!

That's actually not the case at all. Firstly, if his parents were in the united States and actually had money, it'd be absurd to think they couldn't afford healthcare, much less if they had assets worth multiple millions of dollars, which would make it even more ridiculous that they wouldn't cough up a couple hundred a month in medical coverage. Secondly, most people are covered by insurance through work, so even if his father wasn't working and didn't qualify his wife may be working and covering the family for health insurance. Thirdly, even if they, for some odd reason, didn't have insurance, if they were worth many millions of dollars they would not going broke. Googling the cost of of triple bypass is somewhere between 75k - 200k. It would, again, be absurd to think they couldn't afford 200k if they had many millions of dollars. Not to mention the fact they could ensure not being in that situation by buying private insurance for, what? 500 a month?


The entire argument is so loltastic it makes my head hurt.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #3054
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Juan, the real estate was added because if you had a $7 million dollar asset, you could finance it. Because we live in Winnipeg, this asset is worth significantly less. How is this so hard for the resident deplorables to understand? In Canada, because we have healthcare from the government, it doesn't scale depending on where you live whereas house prices do. That was kind of the whole point.

Wil, when you googled "triple bypass costs" did you bother to read to the end of the article again? You know, where it said that total costs are generally around $800k, and that is assuming no further complications? My dad was in the hospital two weeks longer than expected and has been back twice. Maybe, just MAYBE read to the end of the article again. Maybe, just maybe get to the point where it says 75% of costs are related to the length of your stay at the hospital. He's been back twice since, also having a pacemaker put in. This would have cost well, well over $1 million in the USA. You are literally arguing that this is a good system. You are also forgetting about the exchange rate, which has been around 1.25-1.3 most of the time for the past decade. So, those $1 million in hospital fees is $1.3 million. Yet, you defend this. It's insane.
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #3055
dynamite22
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 213
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongidig View Post
I've been to Europe twice. It's neat to see the historical sights. There are way too many sketchy people for my taste. The cities are pretty gross and not well taken care of. I get it's an old place. I agree with Will on this one.
What cities and countries have you been to?
dynamite22 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #3056
Bladesman87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,561
Re: President Trump

We could do this the other way and look for stats on leading causes of bankruptcy in the USA and see how high up medical bills or illness comes, but that would involve some serious googling.
Bladesman87 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #3057
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,566
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post
Juan, the real estate was added because if you had a $7 million dollar asset, you could finance it. Because we live in Winnipeg, this asset is worth significantly less. How is this so hard for the resident deplorables to understand? In Canada, because we have healthcare from the government, it doesn't scale depending on where you live whereas house prices do. That was kind of the whole point.
if you have a 7 million dollar asset, you can afford insurance. if you have to pay for a surgery out of pocket, that sucks, but its a small dent in the grand scheme of things for someone with 7 million, advanced age, and failing health

your line of thinking and articulation of ideas are weird. your inability to react and adjust reasonably in response of valid mockery day after day is the worst kind of stubborn
juan valdez is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #3058
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Googling the cost of of triple bypass is somewhere between 75k - 200k. It would, again, be absurd to think they couldn't afford 200k if they had many millions of dollars. Not to mention the fact they could ensure not being in that situation by buying private insurance for, what? 500 a month?

.
http://health.costhelper.com/heart-surgery.html

Heart bypass surgery typically costs about $70,000-$200,000 or more, and heart valve replacement surgery typically costs $80,000-$200,000 or more. According to the United Network for Organ Sharing[3] , the total cost of a heart transplant can reach almost $800,000 or more

Wil never reads the second or third sentence of articles. He didn't read the parts that said 'not including doctor/hospital fees.' He didn't read the part that said the operation is typically only 25% of the whole cost. Poor Wil. Just skimming articles to turbo post, as always.
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #3059
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Two more things that make this funny. The only city outside of the USA I happen to have visited was Vancouver. Multiple times. We have family there, I was just looking at my pictures at the Granville hotel in Granville island and at Edgewater casino. Lol.

Second, prices of surgeries at hospitals are all at insurance-covered prices. If you tell them you are paying out of pocket and ask for different prices many times you may get up to 50% off.

This entire conversation is comical.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #3060
bahbahmickey
temp-banned
 
bahbahmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UTG-3
Posts: 13,319
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post
Mong, my parents are wealthy. They have a very nice place despite us living somewhere with very low cost of living. That same place would easily be ~7 million or more in Toronto or Vancouver.
My parents are very wealthy. They have 5,000 shares of a penny stock, but if one day they woke up and that penny stock magically transformed into GOOG they'd be multi-millionaire. Let me know if you want to hear more of their story.
bahbahmickey is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #3061
Bladesman87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,561
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
if you have a 7 million dollar asset, you can afford insurance. if you have to pay for a surgery out of pocket, that sucks, but its a small dent in the grand scheme of things for someone with 7 million, advanced age, and failing health

your line of thinking and articulation of ideas are weird. your inability to react and adjust reasonably in response of valid mockery day after day is the worst kind of stubborn
Of course your home wasn't necessarily worth that much when you acquired it, but even then is the point here that, hey, you can always give up your home? Because it's part of the narrative that this kind of situation not occurring in countries like Canada is something that natives actually value. Or is your point that medical bills aren't a big deal as long as you have a few million tucked away somewhere? Because no one's disputing that.
Bladesman87 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #3062
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesman87 View Post
We could do this the other way and look for stats on leading causes of bankruptcy in the USA and see how high up medical bills or illness comes, but that would involve some serious googling.
Quote:
Bankruptcies resulting from unpaid medical bills will affect nearly 2 million people this year—making health care the No. 1 cause of such filings, and outpacing bankruptcies due to credit-card bills or unpaid mortgages, according to new data. And even having health insurance doesn't buffer consumers against financial hardship.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100840148

Good job guys, good effort. You clearly have such a great system going on there!

Quote:
Even outside of bankruptcy, about 56 million adults—more than 20 percent of the population between the ages of 19 and 64—will still struggle with health-care-related bills this year, according to NerdWallet Health.

And if you think only Americans without health insurance face financial troubles, think again. NerdWallet estimates nearly 10 million adults with year-round health-insurance coverage will still accumulate medical bills that they can't pay off this year.
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #3063
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post
Juan, the real estate was added because if you had a $7 million dollar asset, you could finance it. Because we live in Winnipeg, this asset is worth significantly less. How is this so hard for the resident deplorables to understand? In Canada, because we have healthcare from the government, it doesn't scale depending on where you live whereas house prices do. That was kind of the whole point.

Wil, when you googled "triple bypass costs" did you bother to read to the end of the article again? You know, where it said that total costs are generally around $800k, and that is assuming no further complications? My dad was in the hospital two weeks longer than expected and has been back twice. Maybe, just MAYBE read to the end of the article again. Maybe, just maybe get to the point where it says 75% of costs are related to the length of your stay at the hospital. He's been back twice since, also having a pacemaker put in. This would have cost well, well over $1 million in the USA. You are literally arguing that this is a good system. You are also forgetting about the exchange rate, which has been around 1.25-1.3 most of the time for the past decade. So, those $1 million in hospital fees is $1.3 million. Yet, you defend this. It's insane.
No. Lol at the difference between triple bypass and a heart transplant.

This just gets better and better
wil318466 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #3064
BroadwaySushy
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: In a basket of deplorables
Posts: 3,237
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Two more things that make this funny. The only city outside of the USA I happen to have visited was Vancouver. Multiple times. We have family there, I was just looking at my pictures at the Granville hotel in Granville island and at Edgewater casino. Lol.

Second, prices of surgeries at hospitals are all at insurance-covered prices. If you tell them you are paying out of pocket and ask for different prices many times you may get up to 50% off.

This entire conversation is comical.
That Edgewater casino sucks though, doesn't it?

It did when I last went there.
BroadwaySushy is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #3065
Bladesman87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,561
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100840148

Good job guys, good effort. You clearly have such a great system going on there!
But think of the quality of the healthcare those guys couldn't afford.
Bladesman87 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #3066
jalfrezi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jalfrezi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long gone, long long gone
Posts: 9,839
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Wil, when you googled "triple bypass costs" did you bother to read to the end of the article again? You know, where it said that total costs are generally around $800k, and that is assuming no further complications?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
No.
LOL
jalfrezi is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #3067
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Two more things that make this funny. The only city outside of the USA I happen to have visited was Vancouver. Multiple times. We have family there, I was just looking at my pictures at the Granville hotel in Granville island and at Edgewater casino. Lol.

Second, prices of surgeries at hospitals are all at insurance-covered prices. If you tell them you are paying out of pocket and ask for different prices many times you may get up to 50% off.

This entire conversation is comical.
So, your point is that if my parents sold their house, withdrew all their stocks they could have paid for something that would have cost only upwards of $800k Canadian even if they got 50% off? How many people do you think can pay cash for an operation that can cost hundreds of thousands?

You know, they got great service and paid nothing, right? The whole point is we don't have to look for a solution because there wasn't a problem to begin with! If they were poor in the USA their lives would have been ruined and they would have been one of the millions affected by bankruptcy.
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #3068
superslug
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 701
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
if you have a 7 million dollar asset, you can afford insurance. if you have to pay for a surgery out of pocket, that sucks, but its a small dent in the grand scheme of things for someone with 7 million, advanced age, and failing health

your line of thinking and articulation of ideas are weird. your inability to react and adjust reasonably in response of valid mockery day after day is the worst kind of stubborn
What about someone whose living just above , on, or below the breadline? Is it a good system for them?
superslug is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #3069
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrezi View Post
LOL
Wil actually bothered to google. He researched, like he usually does. But he again didn't read the second ****ing line again. He saw the cost of the operation, and posted it. It didn't click in his head that the cost of the operation is a fraction of the total cost of any medical bill. You're paying for your stay in the hospital, the doctors fees and those are the majority of any bill you receive. He never reads an entire article. Ever.
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #3070
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
the point is that its ******ed to accumulate deep in to 7 figures net worth and retire with no insurance. its even more ******ed to craft a story about health care that involves you becoming rich via teleportation and then become less rich because the wealth the teleportation generated was not insured

im pointing this out here and now because i just skimmed some of the 7.0 today and it is just full of endless nonsense that would take hours of mockery to give it the mockery it deserves. i decided to keep it current and my patience is a little low after observing so much eye rolling content
You're missing the entire point though. The point of the house being worth more in a larger market is that you could take out another mortage and refinance it to pay for your healthcare costs and not go bankrupt if you had the same property in those cities. How hard is this for the resident deplorables to understand? In a smaller market, or for people who are poorer, this is impossible. They then go bankrupt and their lives are ruined. How hard is this for the resident deplorables, who just yesterday were arguing that turning away the SMS St Louis and interning the Japanese was a good idea, to understand?

I'm really glad bahbah and juan jumped in to make a point about refinancing to avoid bankruptcy and mocked that, but not the great points by Wil and Mong yesterday about turning away Jews and interning the Japanese. You're the best guys.
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #3071
bahbahmickey
temp-banned
 
bahbahmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UTG-3
Posts: 13,319
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post
You know, they got great service and paid nothing, right? The whole point is we don't have to look for a solution because there wasn't a problem to begin with! If they were poor in the USA their lives would have been ruined and they would have been one of the millions affected by bankruptcy.
What do you mean they paid nothing? Who pays for all this health insurance and how did they weasel out of paying part of it?
bahbahmickey is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #3072
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,566
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslug View Post
What about someone whose living just above , on, or below the breadline? Is it a good system for them?
they wouldnt be able to lose their 300k house that could be worth 7 million with the magic of teleportation

are you asking if people should buy health insurance or if it should be provided for them? thats kind of a separate issue that the one we are discussing. here we are talking about people with very little assets striking it rich with teleportation devices and then losing a small portion of that fortune because the person selling them the teleportation device didnt hook them up with insurance
juan valdez is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #3073
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
they wouldnt be able to lose their 300k house that could be worth 7 million with the magic of teleportation

are you asking if people should buy health insurance or if it should be provided for them? thats kind of a separate issue that the one we are discussing. here we are talking about people with very little assets striking it rich with teleportation devices and then losing a small portion of that fortune because the person selling them the teleportation device didnt hook them up with insurance
You have such poor, poor comprehension skills for a dude with "two degrees." Maybe should have tried to take a basic English course for one of them bro.
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #3074
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
"honey, we have many millions of dollars now that you invented that teleportation device."

"Yes, it's great, isn't it?

"Do you think we should maybe get health insurance?"

"HELL NO, are you nuts? That's like 400 a month!"

Lol
Pre ACA, what options were there for people retired with a pre-existing condition?

Care to respond to my citation that 70 million Americans, double the population of Canada will struggle with healthcare bills this year?
aoFrantic is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #3075
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,566
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahbahmickey View Post
What do you mean they paid nothing? Who pays for all this health insurance and how did they weasel out of paying part of it?
we make monthly payments...

whats awesome is making monthly payments for my free health care. whats annoying is making monthly payments for my not free car insurance

imagine if you made monthly payments for free health care but then they took away free health care and you may or may not be making health care payments anymore and then you didnt buy insurance and then everything you worked for could be wiped out if you have a health emergency but you actually wouldnt be wiped out because you can teleport to a place where you own extremely valuable real estate and you could then just pay your medical bills

deep stuff
juan valdez is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive