Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #2476
Info Shove
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: IG
Posts: 1,290
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Not short term, but I expect it to be worthwhile long term if I can push myself to stream everyday for several months. My work ethic (and fear of not finding good content to stream) has caused that plan to fail miserably but I will get there.

Actually an interesting, serious question, how do you change your work ethic? It sounds so simple to just make that decision, but how do you put it in place and overcome bad habits?

How can a lazy person wake up a different, harder working person, even if he wants to?

I probably should take small steps and fix the urgent areas first (poker volume), but instead I always try to fix everything at once (poker volume, stream volume, eating healthy, working out everyday) and then I fail and I'm like '**** it, I'll try again tomorrow'.
Info Shove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #2477
PokerPlayingGamble
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,262
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

You should get into content creation. It is a pretty easy way to make $10-$15 an hour as a digital nomad and that is just the entry level rate. Basically you write for websites for two cents per word and it is not difficult to pound out five hundred words in an hour imo.
PokerPlayingGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #2478
Fossilkid93
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fossilkid93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Puerto Vallarta
Posts: 12,086
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

I think the best way to do that is set small, achievable goals and not try to make sweeping changes at once.

It's helpful to have a set sleeping pattern, instead of going to bed at 4-6AM and waking up whenever.

Set one thing you want to get done before noon each day and do it. After several weeks of maintaining this pattern, it becomes a habit. Once this is ingrained, start with a new achievable goal.
Fossilkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #2479
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 36,543
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Yep you keep setting unrealistic goals then when you fail you just quit doing anything at all.

Set realistic goals and keep them, and if you do fail don't quit.

5 hours of streaming a week, 2 hours of poker a day. If you do more than that then great.
Bluegrassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:59 AM   #2480
BossMalate
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Makati, Philippines
Posts: 14
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

stream this.... https://ibb.co/fNvaUy
BossMalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:46 AM   #2481
gotgot123
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,827
Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

2 hours of poker a day in his (apparent) financial sitiuation is some of the most pathetic goals ever.

What on earth are you doing in for time if you can’t reach 5h a day. Not like this guy goes out to hang out with friends or goes drinking on a reg basis
gotgot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:27 AM   #2482
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 36,543
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

That's not really the point. By setting goals like this you're giving yourself a realistic thing you can accomplish each day. Once he's played 2 hours it's then that much easier to just continue on 3 more hours and hit 5 hours. By setting a 5 hour a day goal what will inevitably happen is he has a day where he could play 2 hours, but not 5, and he ends up not playing at all because he can't hit his goal anyways.

An extreme example of this is for people trying to get into the habit of going to the gym. It's often recommended that the goal is literally to just step foot in the gym every day. Very few people will walk inside the gym, say "I hit my goal!" and then walk out. Almost everyone then actually does some type of work out because they've already come that far.
Bluegrassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #2483
Info Shove
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: IG
Posts: 1,290
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassplayer View Post
Yep you keep setting unrealistic goals then when you fail you just quit doing anything at all.

Set realistic goals and keep them, and if you do fail don't quit.

5 hours of streaming a week, 2 hours of poker a day. If you do more than that then great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassplayer View Post
That's not really the point. By setting goals like this you're giving yourself a realistic thing you can accomplish each day. Once he's played 2 hours it's then that much easier to just continue on 3 more hours and hit 5 hours. By setting a 5 hour a day goal what will inevitably happen is he has a day where he could play 2 hours, but not 5, and he ends up not playing at all because he can't hit his goal anyways.

An extreme example of this is for people trying to get into the habit of going to the gym. It's often recommended that the goal is literally to just step foot in the gym every day. Very few people will walk inside the gym, say "I hit my goal!" and then walk out. Almost everyone then actually does some type of work out because they've already come that far.
Regarding poker, I couldn't agree with this more and I'll apply this plan. Last month I've skipped way too many days and a small daily goal can prevent that.

As for streaming, I'd rather wait till I'm ready to stream everyday. I don't think it's worthwhile to stream once or twice a week. For now I'll focus on other areas in my life (poker and living healthier), then pursue the daily stream goal again.

My sleep schedule is a mess right now and it's pulling my productivity and health down, which in turn makes my sleep even worse. For the past 3 days I've been sleeping around noon or later and waking up like 8-11pm (yes, that's PM). I don't think I've ever woken up before 2pm in the past couple weeks. My diet has been an equally crappy mix of 7-Eleven and ordering pizza.

Currently it's 4:30pm, I woke up at 10pm, and I'm trying to fix this mess by skipping a day of sleep, then going to bed in the early evening.
Info Shove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #2484
gotgot123
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,827
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

can you give us a breakdown what you do on an average day?
gotgot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #2485
lol69
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,366
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

when you start getting sleepy at 2pm, go for a walk somewhere so that you can eat up an hour, get something to eat, then head to a bar somewhere and get drunk. head back home at 8pm.
lol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #2486
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 36,543
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgot123 View Post
can you give us a breakdown what you do on an average day?
He should be waking up soon and can answer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol69 View Post
when you start getting sleepy at 2pm, go for a walk somewhere so that you can eat up an hour, get something to eat, then head to a bar somewhere and get drunk. head back home at 8pm.
pretty much the recipe i use to fix my sleep schedule. I usually dont eat since that puts me to sleep and get coffee instead though.
Bluegrassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #2487
Fossilkid93
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fossilkid93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Puerto Vallarta
Posts: 12,086
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgot123 View Post
can you give us a breakdown what you do on an average night?
He already told us what he does during the day
Fossilkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #2488
LonelyBox
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,252
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilkid93 View Post
He already told us what he does during the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgot123 View Post
can you give us a breakdown what you do on an average [b]night[\b]?


7Eleven
Ordering Pizza
Tinder
Watching **** on YouTube, twitch or other websites
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #2489
FWWM
FOOT FF Fristion '15
 
FWWM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Releasedmöller
Posts: 10,307
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

^That's prolly your schedule LB. Yep just try to stay up as long as possible doing caffeine and all that and it should be fixed in a few days. Unfortunately that's usually not gonna last too long
FWWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #2490
GonZo72
adept
 
GonZo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Romania
Posts: 871
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Shove View Post
For the past 3 days I've been sleeping around noon or later and waking up like 8-11pm (yes, that's PM).
Lol. Welcome to the SEA grinders club.
GonZo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #2491
iLiveInAsia
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 453
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Sounds like you need a change of scenery asap.

Fly to Tokyo for a week. Can be done on $600 or so.

If you have less money fly to Hong Kong. (rainy season right now though)

You can probably stay on $400 for a week.
iLiveInAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #2492
Dace
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 790
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

what can he do on 10$
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #2493
UnBluffable2018
centurion
 
UnBluffable2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 116
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post
what can he do on 10$
A $10 BJ but not much more.
UnBluffable2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #2494
White_Gatsby
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,232
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Shove View Post
Not short term, but I expect it to be worthwhile long term if I can push myself to stream everyday for several months. My work ethic (and fear of not finding good content to stream) has caused that plan to fail miserably but I will get there.

Actually an interesting, serious question, how do you change your work ethic? It sounds so simple to just make that decision, but how do you put it in place and overcome bad habits?

How can a lazy person wake up a different, harder working person, even if he wants to?

I probably should take small steps and fix the urgent areas first (poker volume), but instead I always try to fix everything at once (poker volume, stream volume, eating healthy, working out everyday) and then I fail and I'm like '**** it, I'll try again tomorrow'.
Tony Robbins has a good book on changing habits, creating a new routine, I forget which 1. Google it. Also Bob Proctor has some good info on that, youtube him.

Like you say, it's a question you take for granted but there are several key steps to take and if you don't do them or you don't know how to do them correctly, you end up reverting back to bad habits. Its a systematical approach, it's not hard, I'm sure you can do it too.

Starts with learning a new habit and doing it for x amount of time before it becomes natural to you. Unlearning bad habits, you need to want it and think consciously about change. I couldnt explain it any better than the 2 guys I just mentioned, so just google/youtube those and your subject and you should find what you need.
White_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #2495
Info Shove
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: IG
Posts: 1,290
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

It looks like I've finally found my motivation:




Last edited by Info Shove; 07-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Info Shove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #2496
LaVitaEBella
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 21
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Maybe you can visit Palawan, instead of staying in Manila. You wouldn't want to be stuck in a heavy traffic situation whenever you go out.
LaVitaEBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:15 AM   #2497
Dace
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 790
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

why are u writing a book for ****s sakes, who would wanna read about your 18 months in which u have done nothing. Good luck with the rest though
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #2498
Info Shove
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: IG
Posts: 1,290
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post
why are u writing a book for ****s sakes, who would wanna read about your 18 months in which u have done nothing. Good luck with the rest though
Surely some people considering this blog got 250k views in 18 months. Many people have told me they've read the full thread even after it had reached 1k posts, which is insane to me. It's near impossible to read the whole 2.5k posts now. That's why I want to write an ebook based on this thread to summarize and make it it easy to read the whole story of my first year and a half in the Philippines.

If not for the readers of this blog then for my future self. So many great memories of moving to the Phils at 22.
Info Shove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #2499
KnightShft
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 164
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Good luck making gains eating dinners like that. Plus planning to walk at least 2 hours a day? Just gonna get to a low body fat % with a physique worse than what you have now.
KnightShft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #2500
Info Shove
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: IG
Posts: 1,290
Re: Clueless kid moving to Manila - Never been to Asia before

Never said my goal was to make gains. A lower body fat % is all I want. I'm just trying to sustain my existing muscle mass.
Info Shove is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive