Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Online No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em online cash games of all stakes, including pot-limit and cap games.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #1551
SammyG-SD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SammyG-SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Original Bacon MVP
Posts: 12,600
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman339 View Post
Exactly!

On a more serious note....had my first concussion like two and half weeks ago from playing basketball. Still don't remember what happened or who did it. Very weird. I never even had a headache after...well....or I just didn't realize I did due to the vicodin, valium, percocet, morphine, and muscle relaxers I was on for the back spasms. It was a week before I could get out of bed without help and another week before I could give up the cane. I'm finally getting around relatively pain free now though. Woohoo!
I think you were fine and just wanted you GF to take care of you.





At least that is what I told her.
SammyG-SD is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #1552
*Split*
See my coaching listing
 
*Split*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: making videos
Posts: 9,261
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtSF View Post
So you're saying aggressive play reduces variance?

Counter intuitive, but you might be right.
increases shortrun variance but decreases longrun variance
*Split* is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #1553
gman339
veteran
 
gman339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Is online poker back yet?
Posts: 3,449
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG-SD View Post
I think you were fine and just wanted you GF to take care of you.

At least that is what I told her.
5-6 days of having to wait on me hand and foot. The girl deserves a medal. Heck.....I'm not pleasant when I am feeling well.
gman339 is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #1554
Cangurino
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cangurino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Circus
Posts: 13,478
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Split* View Post
increases shortrun variance but decreases longrun variance
Hmmm.. could you expand on that? This really sounds counter-intuitive to a naive mathematician like myself.
Cangurino is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #1555
SammyG-SD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SammyG-SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Original Bacon MVP
Posts: 12,600
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangurino View Post
Hmmm.. could you expand on that? This really sounds counter-intuitive to a naive mathematician like myself.
its not actually the longrun variance that decrease, but the perceived effect of variance since your winrate is based more on your play and not the run of cards you get. So your wr stays steadier
SammyG-SD is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #1556
funkyj
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
funkyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: working without a 27b/6
Posts: 6,416
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtSF View Post
TDK, technical issues made me a live-only player for the good part of a year.

Basically my internet went out one day, and I was too lazy to deal with the mess of phone companies and ISPs, call centers and crappy support that I just went to a casino instead.
!
In San Francisco? Where do you play live? What stakes? I've never played live but I'd like to some time (at the smallest live stakes possible). If there are other 2p2ers in the area who would want to make a trip to a B&M casino for low stakes NLHE?

For me the idea of B&M NLHE is like playing blackjack or craps in Vegas: I want to do it for amusement value, not because I think it is +EV.
funkyj is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #1557
funkyj
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
funkyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: working without a 27b/6
Posts: 6,416
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangurino View Post
Hmmm.. could you expand on that? This really sounds counter-intuitive to a naive mathematician like myself.
I think they are still riffing on the mugging joke. Playing bigger pots does not decrease your variance.
funkyj is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #1558
McAvoy
banned
 
McAvoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Apostle of Hope
Posts: 46,476
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman339 View Post
Rescue Me?
Thats it, thx
McAvoy is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #1559
gman339
veteran
 
gman339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Is online poker back yet?
Posts: 3,449
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyj View Post
For me the idea of B&M NLHE is like playing blackjack or craps in Vegas: I want to do it for amusement value, not because I think it is +EV.
I think every online player should play live from time to time. There are a lot of additional aspects to the game that don't come up in online play. I mean the game was played for decades before the internet even existed.
gman339 is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #1560
KurtSF
Lucky Number Seven
 
KurtSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 0EV against everyone ... seriously
Posts: 16,471
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyj View Post
In San Francisco? Where do you play live? What stakes? I've never played live but I'd like to some time (at the smallest live stakes possible). If there are other 2p2ers in the area who would want to make a trip to a B&M casino for low stakes NLHE?

For me the idea of B&M NLHE is like playing blackjack or craps in Vegas: I want to do it for amusement value, not because I think it is +EV.
During the period I had no internet I was a regular at Lucky Chances (you know you're a degenerate when the brush knows your name). But I've played at most of the rooms in the Bay Area, Bay 101 being the notable exception.

I generally play the smallest games in the room. The LCs game is 1-1-2 spread limit - $200 max buy, $200 max bet, $4 bring in - that does a good job of imitating a 1-2 nl game.

I'm pretty busy these days, but other than that its pretty easy to talk me into some pokering.
KurtSF is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #1561
funkyj
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
funkyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: working without a 27b/6
Posts: 6,416
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG-SD View Post
its not actually the longrun variance that decrease, but the perceived effect of variance since your winrate is based more on your play and not the run of cards you get. So your wr stays steadier
Instead of the run of cards affecting your results most, the play of your opponents is the dominant random variable.

If you continue to have a big edge in post flop play and run them over all the time then the cards matter less but the style of your opponents play matters more. If you are LAG and all your opponents are LAG then even your perceived variance will shoot way up because you won't be running over them so much. I.e. if you are better than them your redline's slope will go down and the blue line's slope will go up.

BTW, uDevil's win rate calculator is an awesome tool for getting an idea how huge the effect of variance are and how many hands it takes for WR to begin to dominate variance.

PT3 says my stddev/100 hands is 70ptbb. If you plug this deviation, an abysmal losing rate (e.g. 10ptbb/100) and a confidence interval of 95% (2 stddevs) you will see that a player could play tens of thousands of hands and still be a winner with this win rate!
funkyj is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #1562
funkyj
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
funkyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: working without a 27b/6
Posts: 6,416
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtSF View Post
I generally play the smallest games in the room. The LCs game is 1-1-2 spread limit - $200 max buy, $200 max bet, $4 bring in - that does a good job of imitating a 1-2 nl game.
I'm in the south bay and Bay 101 does spread limit but not pot limit or no limit.

I really don't want to play spread limit. If there is a lot of action pre-flop and on the flop then it would seem that turn and river play become a lot more like limit than no-limit. I'd rather have higher variance and lose money playing a game I know (NLHE, PLHE) than play spread limit.

I view live play (for me) as -EV but I want that to be because I have no experience live, not because I'm playing a new game (spread limit).

If there is some place that spreads NLHE or PLHE and if there are a few other interested locals I'd love to do a trip to a casino together. The prospect isn't interesting enough for me to make a longish trek alone.
funkyj is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #1563
KurtSF
Lucky Number Seven
 
KurtSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 0EV against everyone ... seriously
Posts: 16,471
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Don't rule out spread limit imo.

The game at Lucky Chances has a $200 max bi and a $200 max bet. It plays EXACTLY like nl if you're not deepstacked.

Compare to the 2-3-5 game, which is uncapped bi but also a $200 max bet. That plays like nl preflop and to some extent on the flop, then plays like a big LHE game on the turn and river.

The SL games at Garden City are similar in that the max bet is >= BI. They play a little shorter stacked imo, which can be good or bad, depending.

I have heard the SL game at bay101 is the best game in the bay area, but I've never made it out there.
KurtSF is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #1564
entertainme
The Poker Mom
 
entertainme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,444
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangurino View Post
If anybody posts another 24 spoiler here I'll come after them personally.
+1 I'm giving them the Mom Look. Is it working?

On another note, can anyone tell me how to combine my PS and FT player names in the Cash Games / Reports tab in HEM?
entertainme is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #1565
Autist18
veteran
 
Autist18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Estonia.
Posts: 2,837
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

No HH allowed here, but I thought this was quite amusing.


Full Tilt Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 51337
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN: $17.29
SB: $10.00
BB: $13.56
UTG: $9.92
Hero (MP): $10.00
CO: $10.54

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with 9 A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.35, 3 folds, BB raises to $0.60

It's a position raise. I call it.
Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.25) 9 3 A (2 players)

I just got top two pair on the flop, and I want to keep him in the hand. Against your average guy, I'd set a bear trap, hardly bet at all.
Let him walk into it. But KGB's too smart for that. So, what I've got to do is over-bet the pot, make it look like I'm trying to buy it.

BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70
My guess is Teddy's on a flush draw.

Turn: ($2.65) 9 (2 players)
There's my money card, nine of hearts. I got a full house. Check's good.
BB checks, Hero checks

Now I hope a club falls and Teddy makes his flush.
That way he'll bet strong, and I'll beat him with my nines full over aces.



River: ($2.65) K (2 players)
BB bets $2.65, Autist has requested TIME,

I want him to think that I'm pondering a call, but all I'm really thinking about is Vegas and the ****ing Mirage. "All right, your 2.65 plus I have another 6.05 to raise you. Um... Yeah, I'm gonna go all in, 'cause I don't think you got the spades".
Hero raises to $8.70 all in

BB calls $6.05
"You are right. I don't have spades."

"I know before the cards are even turned over."


Final Pot: $20.05
BB shows A A (a full house, Aces full of Nines)
Hero shows 9 A (a full house, Nines full of Aces)


And you know what? It wasn't a bad beat.
I wasn't unlucky.
I got outplayed. I got outplayed that time.
But I know I'm good enough to sit at that table.

Autist18 is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #1566
mpethybridge
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mpethybridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 86.4% dead, most likely
Posts: 16,997
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autist18 View Post
No HH allowed here, but I thought this was quite amusing.


Full Tilt Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 51337
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN: $17.29
SB: $10.00
BB: $13.56
UTG: $9.92
Hero (MP): $10.00
CO: $10.54

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with 9 A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.35, 3 folds, BB raises to $0.60

It's a position raise. I call it.
Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.25) 9 3 A (2 players)

I just got top two pair on the flop, and I want to keep him in the hand. Against your average guy, I'd set a bear trap, hardly bet at all.
Let him walk into it. But KGB's too smart for that. So, what I've got to do is over-bet the pot, make it look like I'm trying to buy it.

BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70
My guess is Teddy's on a flush draw.

Turn: ($2.65) 9 (2 players)
There's my money card, nine of hearts. I got a full house. Check's good.
BB checks, Hero checks

Now I hope a club falls and Teddy makes his flush.
That way he'll bet strong, and I'll beat him with my nines full over aces.



River: ($2.65) K (2 players)
BB bets $2.65, Autist has requested TIME,

I want him to think that I'm pondering a call, but all I'm really thinking about is Vegas and the ****ing Mirage. "All right, your 2.65 plus I have another 6.05 to raise you. Um... Yeah, I'm gonna go all in, 'cause I don't think you got the spades".
Hero raises to $8.70 all in

BB calls $6.05
"You are right. I don't have spades."

"I know before the cards are even turned over."


Final Pot: $20.05
BB shows A A (a full house, Aces full of Nines)
Hero shows 9 A (a full house, Nines full of Aces)


And you know what? It wasn't a bad beat.
I wasn't unlucky.
I got outplayed. I got outplayed that time.
But I know I'm good enough to sit at that table.

BBV please. Oh, wait...
mpethybridge is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #1567
entertainme
The Poker Mom
 
entertainme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,444
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by entertainme View Post
On another note, can anyone tell me how to combine my PS and FT player names in the Cash Games / Reports tab in HEM?
Ah, I figured it out. Make an alias combining my player names, right? Got it set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autist18 View Post
"I know before the cards are even turned over."
entertainme is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #1568
Conan776
Pooh-Bah
 
Conan776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of the Great Blue Hill
Posts: 3,703
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyj View Post
I think they are still riffing on the mugging joke. Playing bigger pots does not decrease your variance.
Ah so. As Chuang Tzu wrote in Cracking the Safe

Quote:
Who is there, among those called smart,
Who does not spend his time amassing loot
For a bigger robber than himself?
...
A poor man must swing
For stealing a belt buckle
But if a rich man steals a whole state
He is acclaimed
As statesman of the year.
DAH-DNAH-DAH-DA-DNUH
Conan776 is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #1569
KurtSF
Lucky Number Seven
 
KurtSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 0EV against everyone ... seriously
Posts: 16,471
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

OMG Autist that's effing hilarious!
KurtSF is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #1570
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by entertainme View Post
+1 I'm giving them the Mom Look. Is it working?
the mom look always scares the **** out of me, but I am still going to tell you what's going to happen with Jack

Spoiler:
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #1571
Autist18
veteran
 
Autist18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Estonia.
Posts: 2,837
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

I messed up by not editing the "spades" to "clubs", twice.
Autist18 is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #1572
entertainme
The Poker Mom
 
entertainme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,444
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDataKid View Post
the mom look always scares the **** out of me, but I am still going to tell you what's going to happen with Jack

Spoiler:
You're off the hook. I can live with it in spoiler boxes. Want some cookies?
entertainme is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #1573
TheDataKid
Pooh-Bah
 
TheDataKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I am such a sexy motherfukkaa
Posts: 3,866
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Yes, please hihi
TheDataKid is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #1574
xxrod17xx
Pooh-Bah
 
xxrod17xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seasoning Micro Steaks
Posts: 3,763
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autist18 View Post
No HH allowed here, but I thought this was quite amusing.


Full Tilt Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 51337
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN: $17.29
SB: $10.00
BB: $13.56
UTG: $9.92
Hero (MP): $10.00
CO: $10.54

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with 9 A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.35, 3 folds, BB raises to $0.60

It's a position raise. I call it.
Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.25) 9 3 A (2 players)

I just got top two pair on the flop, and I want to keep him in the hand. Against your average guy, I'd set a bear trap, hardly bet at all.
Let him walk into it. But KGB's too smart for that. So, what I've got to do is over-bet the pot, make it look like I'm trying to buy it.

BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70
My guess is Teddy's on a flush draw.

Turn: ($2.65) 9 (2 players)
There's my money card, nine of hearts. I got a full house. Check's good.
BB checks, Hero checks

Now I hope a club falls and Teddy makes his flush.
That way he'll bet strong, and I'll beat him with my nines full over aces.



River: ($2.65) K (2 players)
BB bets $2.65, Autist has requested TIME,

I want him to think that I'm pondering a call, but all I'm really thinking about is Vegas and the ****ing Mirage. "All right, your 2.65 plus I have another 6.05 to raise you. Um... Yeah, I'm gonna go all in, 'cause I don't think you got the spades".
Hero raises to $8.70 all in

BB calls $6.05


"You are right. I don't have spades."

"I know before the cards are even turned over."


Final Pot: $20.05
BB shows A A (a full house, Aces full of Nines)
Hero shows 9 A (a full house, Nines full of Aces)


And you know what? It wasn't a bad beat.
I wasn't unlucky.
I got outplayed. I got outplayed that time.
But I know I'm good enough to sit at that table.

you are my new hero
xxrod17xx is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #1575
Conan776
Pooh-Bah
 
Conan776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of the Great Blue Hill
Posts: 3,703
Re: *****Official February "greatest place on the interwebs" Chat Thread!*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by entertainme View Post
You're off the hook. I can live with it in spoiler boxes.
Can she resisting pushing the button?



The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will she hold out, folks? Can she hold out?

Spoiler:
Conan776 is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive