Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #326
Shiiitplayer86
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 45
Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKesic View Post
Thanks. I worked hard on it.

I PM'd you

I use a lot of different software for poker. When it comes to studying, I've mainly used equilab + my own EV Calculate Excel Sheet to make my own ranges. The most important thing is to think about poker spots a lot during the day (in depth). I've also used solvers over the years (mainly to figure out the optimal flop sizings). The best one I'd say is PIO. You have to know how to use it correctly, though, or you might hurt your game more than help it. Most of the profit in poker comes from exploiting players afterall and you can't really learn that with solvers.
Thanks mate!
Shiiitplayer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 PM   #327
ZKesic
old hand
 
ZKesic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 1,577
A quick update

February 2021:



Bankroll is at 36.2k

It was a low volume month. I noticed that in the last 6 months my win rate has actually been better from the BB (-13bb/100) than from the SB (-15bb/100). I'm not sure what exactly the reason for this is, but I did make some major changes to my BB strategy at around that time.
Spoiler:


I also spent some time coaching poker this month. It was pretty fun.

By the way... I never see anyone in these forums talk about timing tells. They are definitely very important at micros, I think. Especially vs fish.
    $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 3 Players

    SB: $23.11 (115.6 bb)
    Hero (BB): $23.71 (118.6 bb)
    BTN: $21.74 (108.7 bb)

    Preflop: Hero is BB with 6 5
    BTN raises to $0.50, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.30

    Flop: ($1.50) J Q 3 (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks, BTN checks

    Turn: ($1.50) 3 (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $0.75, BTN folds, SB calls $0.75

    River: ($3) 7 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks

    Spoiler:

    Same goes for the small single raised pots. They are very common spots that affect one's win rate quite a bit, but no one ever talks about them.
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

      SB: $20 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $18.09 (90.5 bb)
      MP: $21.97 (109.9 bb)
      CO: $20 (100 bb)
      BTN: $32.06 (160.3 bb)

      Preflop: Hero is BB with J 9
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30

      Flop: ($1.10) 3 8 T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.77, Hero calls $0.77

      Turn: ($2.64) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

      River: ($2.64) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.71, CO folds

      Spoiler:

      From now on I'll try to mainly post hands like these. I actually find them more interesting. If someone wants to discuss them, feel free to comment.

      The volume goal for the next month is 70k+ hands.
      ZKesic is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 04:57 AM   #328
      FutureInsights
      Pooh-Bah
       
      FutureInsights's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Feb 2010
      Location: Computer Desk Potato
      Posts: 3,849
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Why are you playing the small stakes? Upping to 100bb play?

      Hand 1: Dude must have been asleep.
      FutureInsights is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #329
      J.E.C
      enthusiast
       
      Join Date: May 2012
      Posts: 95
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      I agree with you timing tells are slightly underated and can be very useful but you'll never convince me you found a tell so strong that hand 1 isn't a b/f everytime
      J.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #330
      Brokenstars
      Carpal \'Tunnel
       
      Brokenstars's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jul 2012
      Posts: 14,210
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      What changes did you make in the BB?
      Brokenstars is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #331
      ZKesic
      old hand
       
      ZKesic's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jan 2014
      Location: Slovenia
      Posts: 1,577
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FutureInsights View Post
      Why are you playing the small stakes? Upping to 100bb play?

      Hand 1: Dude must have been asleep.
      I'll probably start moving up soon. I've been playing 100bb deep for around 50% of the challenge and my WR is almost the same either way, so I don't think it matters too much.

      You mean he was a nit? Yup.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by J.E.C View Post
      I agree with you timing tells are slightly underated and can be very useful but you'll never convince me you found a tell so strong that hand 1 isn't a b/f everytime
      Villain was the kind of player I'd expect to bet the turn with most Qx and always fold the river with Jx (standard micro nit). On top of that I had a turn timing tell on him that he was on a draw + he tanked the river, which made me believe he was thinking about donk betting (so a flush or a potential bluff). This together made me want to check it back. I'm not 100% sure if the read was strong enough to make this play, which is in part why I'm posting the hand here. I'm willing to discuss it. It's possible that I just got a bit lucky that he actually had it in the hand.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Brokenstars View Post
      What changes did you make in the BB?
      I'd say that I'm exploiting different kinds of regs in my pool way better now, mainly by raising flops and turns way more than in the past, based on their tendencies. My flop and turn check-raise stats are 18% and 16% right now. Vs some regs I'm doing it even more and vs others way less, with different parts of my range. As examples you can look at the A5o and A9o hands I posted last month. Both were exploitative.
      ZKesic is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #332
      Brokenstars
      Carpal \'Tunnel
       
      Brokenstars's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jul 2012
      Posts: 14,210
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      mine is 15 and 10
      Brokenstars is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #333
      BestToEverDoIt?
      centurion
       
      BestToEverDoIt?'s Avatar
       
      Join Date: Dec 2020
      Location: Probably not
      Posts: 134
      Re: A quick update

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ZKesic View Post
      February 2021:

      It was a low volume month. I noticed that in the last 6 months my win rate has actually been better from the BB (-13bb/100) than from the SB (-15bb/100). I'm not sure what exactly the reason for this is, but I did make some major changes to my BB strategy at around that time.
      Spoiler:

      That seems like a crazy low loss rate to have from the BB, must be at least in part a function of your short-stacking.

      -

      GL ZKesic, I've followed this thread for a while and it's really cool to see how you've carved out your little niche.


      Edit - Just seen Broken's post, clearly I'm doing something wrong!
      BestToEverDoIt? is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #334
      ZKesic
      old hand
       
      ZKesic's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jan 2014
      Location: Slovenia
      Posts: 1,577
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Brokenstars View Post
      mine is 15 and 10
      This seems perfect for 100b deep vs competent regs. A lot of the regs in my pool, however, cbet and stab way too much. They also don't 3bet the flops enough, so it makes sense for my numbers to be a bit higher, I think.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by BestToEverDoIt? View Post
      That seems like a crazy low loss rate to have from the BB, must be at least in part a function of your short-stacking.

      -

      GL ZKesic, I've followed this thread for a while and it's really cool to see how you've carved out your little niche.


      Edit - Just seen Broken's post, clearly I'm doing something wrong!
      The short stacking probably has something to do with it for sure! Being deep is advantageous for the IP player after all.

      Thanks for following

      Not necessarily. You should be adjusting to your opponents. The EV of raising and calling is identical for most of your range in theory. For example, if our opponent is barreling the turn like 80% of the time for a big size, it doesn't make much sense for us to really raise the flop with anything, right? It also doesn't make sense for us to call the flop with a hand and then fold the turn. Therefore we should actually be overfolding the flop vs him and never raising.

      Last edited by ZKesic; 03-01-2021 at 04:13 PM.
      ZKesic is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #335
      BestToEverDoIt?
      centurion
       
      BestToEverDoIt?'s Avatar
       
      Join Date: Dec 2020
      Location: Probably not
      Posts: 134
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Ah I was being an idiot, misread Broken's 10 and 15 as his SB and BB loss rates. Think those would be off-the-charts insane even if you are playing against a moronic Yanks a crusher.
      BestToEverDoIt? is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #336
      iburydoscocaroaches
      adept
       
      iburydoscocaroaches's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Dec 2016
      Posts: 1,085
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by whitemares View Post
      Why on earth are you short stacking?
      have a math edge ss.
      iburydoscocaroaches is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #337
      iburydoscocaroaches
      adept
       
      iburydoscocaroaches's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Dec 2016
      Posts: 1,085
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ZKesic View Post
      I believe that it's partially because of my very constant win rate. People have disagreed with me about this in the past, but I believe that win rate and std dev aren't everything when it comes to variance:

      A lot of people that make 3bb/100 after 1mil hands, for example, assume that this was their "true" win rate for every hand in that sample. However, in reality, there might have been periods of time when the games were super soft + they were playing their A game and were actually making ~8bb/100, while in other periods of time the pool changed + the regs started exploiting the guy + he tilted and his true EV was actually -3bb/100. He just considered that a "downswing" though.

      I have never tilted in my life though. Never even felt the emotion. It must be because I don't truly enjoy the game and don't play it for fun. I play to make money. When I hit a downswing I make sure to reduce the number of tables I'm playing and focus on finding out how exactly I can optimally counter the opponents. Sometimes fish even accidentally use a strategy that happens to exploit you.

      I also use a pretty passive strategy (a lot of limping and checking flops) at different stack depths, which probably reduces my variance too.



      I think that my pool is tougher than 50nl cash actually, since these are the highest zoom stakes on the site and there are many good regs stuck here for the same reason as me. There's also no game selection.

      If I played only 800 hands/hr, my win rate would obviously be quite a bit higher than it is. Though, what matters at the end of the day to me is the $/hr. I'd be surprised if you can find anyone that has a higher hourly than me at 20nl/25nl.



      It would be hard to play more than 500 hands/hr at 100nl. At 5bb/100, that would be around $25 per hour, which is still less than what I'm making now.
      You never tilted in your life? The first player in history never tilted in his life. Nice cap. Yes everyone else played poker cause its so fun and not for the money. That must be it haha.
      iburydoscocaroaches is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #338
      ZKesic
      old hand
       
      ZKesic's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jan 2014
      Location: Slovenia
      Posts: 1,577
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      ^ That's an old post, haha.

      I've actually never tilted in my life, believe it or not. Am not sure why. If I run bad I usually just start disliking poker and I take a break/go play some other games that I find more enjoyable. You could say that this is my form of a tilt. It has never happened to me that I'd want to start playing more aggressively because I lost money, though. I don't really understand that connection.

      It's like if someone has a bad day on the stock market and loses money. He then "tilts" and starts buying many more bad stocks to "get the money back". Does this actually happen to people? I really don't know.

      Imagine a game in which you have two buttons: The green one makes you money on average. The red one loses you money on average. Your job is to always figure out which one is green and then click it. That's pretty much what poker is. And even if you click the green button 5 times in a row and always get unlucky, there's still no reason for you to click the red button next time. There's objectively no reason for me to change my strategy bacause of some bad beats.
      ZKesic is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #339
      Brokenstars
      Carpal \'Tunnel
       
      Brokenstars's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jul 2012
      Posts: 14,210
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by BestToEverDoIt? View Post
      Ah I was being an idiot, misread Broken's 10 and 15 as his SB and BB loss rates. Think those would be off-the-charts insane even if you are playing against a moronic Yanks a crusher.
      I'm -17evbb/100 in SB and -25evbb/100 in BB over my last 333k hands which includes hands at lower stakes (I did $100->$10k challenge last year).

      Filtered for 100nl+ they are -19 and -21 (lol??), respectively. (190k hands).
      Brokenstars is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-02-2021, 04:09 AM   #340
      hoodboy
      centurion
       
      Join Date: Mar 2011
      Posts: 152
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      I actually believe OP has never tilted. It takes a very patient person to try to grind out 100k at micros

      In all actuality though, much respect OP, it's inspiring in a way
      hoodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #341
      iburydoscocaroaches
      adept
       
      iburydoscocaroaches's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Dec 2016
      Posts: 1,085
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ZKesic View Post
      Most people my age make around $5-10 per hour in my country, so I'm more than happy with how much I'm making right now.
      I play poker for fun, mainly as a hobby and am definitely not prepared to risk too much money on it.

      Also, once I reach 100k profit, it'll definitely be a world record for 20nl, right?
      This gives me some extra motivation.
      You are either the best troll of all time or bi polar. I just started going through your thread and you are contradicting yourself saying you play for fun, but u don't tilt cause u dont play for fun. Then you say you ran good hu and had this pretty graph going up to 400nl and you just magically crushed everyone without game selection. Yah ok bud. To have a graph like that you have to bum hunt on a hard core level hu. Then you just start at 20nl. You don't have prop bet with anyone or anything. I am not buying your graphs and I am still not sure if you play for fun or not. But everyone tilts. If you got up to 400nl hu and now playing 20nl. You had to tilt some of that money off at some point. Stop the cap dude.
      iburydoscocaroaches is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #342
      iburydoscocaroaches
      adept
       
      iburydoscocaroaches's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Dec 2016
      Posts: 1,085
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by hoodboy View Post
      I actually believe OP has never tilted. It takes a very patient person to try to grind out 100k at micros

      In all actuality though, much respect OP, it's inspiring in a way
      Galfond is like jesus of poker and he even admits to tilting. So when this dude walks on water and turns water to wine I will be a believer.
      iburydoscocaroaches is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-03-2021, 09:23 PM   #343
      iburydoscocaroaches
      adept
       
      iburydoscocaroaches's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Dec 2016
      Posts: 1,085
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ZKesic View Post
      September 2020:



      +$538
      Bankroll is at 32.6k

      The graph is in BB because I played a mix of 20nl and 50nl. I've been trying to maintain the 1000+ hands/hr volume in cash games but it's pretty hard. I've decided to cap it at ~800hands/hr from now on (10-12 tables). This way it's easier to focus and the sessions will be longer.

      I've also started playing some HU sngs for fun. They won't count towards this challenge, though.
      Spoiler:

      Hopefully it goes better than the last time I tried, years back
      Spoiler:


      Some Hands:
      Spoiler:


      I'll play higher volume in November and might even start taking some first 100nl shots if I run well.
      Oh i see why your graphs look pretty its with rake back added into it and in bb. gg well done.
      iburydoscocaroaches is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #344
      Brokenstars
      Carpal \'Tunnel
       
      Brokenstars's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jul 2012
      Posts: 14,210
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      I don't know why you're bashing him? He seems pretty good based on his posts without even looking at his results.
      Brokenstars is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-03-2021, 11:00 PM   #345
      ZKesic
      old hand
       
      ZKesic's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Jan 2014
      Location: Slovenia
      Posts: 1,577
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Damn, my own hater. Always wanted to have one
      JK
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by iburydoscocaroaches View Post
      You are either the best troll of all time or bi polar. I just started going through your thread and you are contradicting yourself saying you play for fun, but u don't tilt cause u dont play for fun. Then you say you ran good hu and had this pretty graph going up to 400nl and you just magically crushed everyone without game selection. Yah ok bud. To have a graph like that you have to bum hunt on a hard core level hu. Then you just start at 20nl. You don't have prop bet with anyone or anything. I am not buying your graphs and I am still not sure if you play for fun or not. But everyone tilts. If you got up to 400nl hu and now playing 20nl. You had to tilt some of that money off at some point. Stop the cap dude.
      ^ Apparently you're misunderstanding a lot of what I said. I didn't contradict myself. I'm also probably as far from bipolar as you can get.
      • Perhaps the words I used in that quote were really a bit off. My main point was that I'm not willing to risk losing a big part of my net worth. I do find poker a bit fun, though, but not as fun as some other games. Therefore, the main reason I play it is to make money. I'm also not very emotionally invested into my results - it's just a ~$25/hr side job to me, which is probably also why I don't tilt. In other words: I do find poker fun, but I don't play it to have fun.
      • About the HU thing: I did actually play up to 600nl at that point, but only for around a month. I explained everything in the story. All of my hands were played vs regs, but I never claimed that I was actually that good. I was running like a god all the way to 400nl and then lost 1.5k in one session. After that I went back to cash games. You might want to reread the story, as I think you might've misunderstood some parts.

        Also, the reason why every single hand was played vs a reg is because that's how HU works. The best 2-3 regs sit at every single table in the lobby 24/7, so you have no choice but to play vs one of them. The only way that you can ever play vs a fish is if you take a table from one of those regs (make them sit out vs you) and then play anyone that sits in. This was the main reason that I ended up moving to cash games (another reason was the really high rake at HU).
      • I've explained in the past why I avoid playing higher stakes. I might be able to beat them, bit it would be mathematically very difficult to make more than $25/hr, unless I play at least 200nl. If I do play that high, however, the variance would be way higher than it is right now. At the end of the day, I'm just happy with how much I'm making right now.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by iburydoscocaroaches View Post
      Oh i see why your graphs look pretty its with rake back added into it and in bb. gg well done.
      I've only posted like two graphs in BB for when I was mixing 50nl and 20nl. The rest are in $.

      Having the rakeback line in the graphs also makes sense I think, since it's the actual amount of money I made. I don't really understand what the issue is.
      ZKesic is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 AM   #346
      whitemares
      Pooh-Bah
       
      Join Date: Nov 2014
      Posts: 4,735
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by iburydoscocaroaches View Post
      Galfond is like jesus of poker and he even admits to tilting. So when this dude walks on water and turns water to wine I will be a believer.
      idk man there's something about these eastern europeans, some of them are like robots. Just cold, emotionless poker playing machines. Maybe decades of living under communism has altered them genetically to be more emotionally resilient

      Having a 1500bi+ roll playing in soft games probably also helps
      whitemares is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #347
      FazendeiroBH
      old hand
       
      FazendeiroBH's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Oct 2014
      Location: Brazil
      Posts: 1,642
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ZKesic View Post
      Damn, my own hater. Always wanted to have one
      JK


      ^ Apparently you're misunderstanding a lot of what I said. I didn't contradict myself. I'm also probably as far from bipolar as you can get.
      • Perhaps the words I used in that quote were really a bit off. My main point was that I'm not willing to risk losing a big part of my net worth. I do find poker a bit fun, though, but not as fun as some other games. Therefore, the main reason I play it is to make money. I'm also not very emotionally invested into my results - it's just a ~$25/hr side job to me, which is probably also why I don't tilt. In other words: I do find poker fun, but I don't play it to have fun.
      • About the HU thing: I did actually play up to 600nl at that point, but only for around a month. I explained everything in the story. All of my hands were played vs regs, but I never claimed that I was actually that good. I was running like a god all the way to 400nl and then lost 1.5k in one session. After that I went back to cash games. You might want to reread the story, as I think you might've misunderstood some parts.

        Also, the reason why every single hand was played vs a reg is because that's how HU works. The best 2-3 regs sit at every single table in the lobby 24/7, so you have no choice but to play vs one of them. The only way that you can ever play vs a fish is if you take a table from one of those regs (make them sit out vs you) and then play anyone that sits in. This was the main reason that I ended up moving to cash games (another reason was the really high rake at HU).
      • I've explained in the past why I avoid playing higher stakes. I might be able to beat them, bit it would be mathematically very difficult to make more than $25/hr, unless I play at least 200nl. If I do play that high, however, the variance would be way higher than it is right now. At the end of the day, I'm just happy with how much I'm making right now.


      I've only posted like two graphs in BB for when I was mixing 50nl and 20nl. The rest are in $.

      Having the rakeback line in the graphs also makes sense I think, since it's the actual amount of money I made. I don't really understand what the issue is.
      Rakeback $ is still $ right? As far as I know both can buy the same things IRL.
      FazendeiroBH is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #348
      wegg
      centurion
       
      wegg's Avatar
       
      Join Date: Sep 2020
      Posts: 147
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Just seems like OP has an extremely healthy relationship with poker or generally is a very healthy individual mentally. I know it's hard to believe because most of this msg board consists of apes pretending to be cavemen (myself included).

      Anyway, gl OP, keep crushing. Really admire your work!
      wegg is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 03-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #349
      HUgrinder2016
      journeyman
       
      Join Date: Apr 2016
      Posts: 203
      Re: $100.000 profit at 20nl

      Dam, OP saying he doesn't tilt, tilted iburydoscocaroaches HARD! no wonder this guy can;t believe its possible for someone to never tilt, when he tilts just at the idea being mentioned and then goes on to bombard OP with hate
      HUgrinder2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

      Reply
            

      Thread Tools
      Display Modes

      Posting Rules
      You may not post new threads
      You may not post replies
      You may not post attachments
      You may not edit your posts

      BB code is On
      Smilies are On
      [IMG] code is On
      HTML code is Off


      Forum Jump


      All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


      Powered by vBulletin®
      Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
      Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive