Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #726
_UM
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,988
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

That episode was the worst of any, and by far the worst this season. For me anyways.

Is there really any doubt that the kid is out of his mind and a pyromaniac?
_UM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #727
DC11GTR
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DC11GTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 13,808
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

I kind of agree. Took me 2 batches of 20 minutes and then finally finished it off.
DC11GTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #728
riverfish1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
riverfish1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,030
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
me and rat agree on something, must be true

i liked this episode way more than you guys - no capone, van alden, or chalky, and that is good, because these characters are peripheral to the story as it's being told now. for how much i criticize the show, i've realized that it is too ambitious, and has too many characters that need to be served. it's like it saw what the wire did and said 'i want that', forgetting that the wire took 3 seasons to build up its world and characters sufficiently to go all out, and that the wire had a mediocre 5th season.

nucky and esther's meeting was real good. i liked harrow's plot, they found something for him to do. jimmy's mom was super creepy.

also no rothstein and gyp was a plus. rothstein's performance is excellent but up until this season he felt like another character on the periphery.
Capone, Van Alden, and Chalky may be peripheral characters, but imo they're also the most interesting characters. I want to see more of them and less of Jimmy's mom being super creepy and weird. Margaret is fine since she's clearly important to the show, but I don't see how Jimmy's mom isn't considered a peripheral character at this point. Her importance in the first 2 sesasons was how she related to/coached/had a ****ed up relationship with Jimmy (who was clearly one of the 2 main characters). Now that Jimmy's gone, she should be too.
riverfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #729
ludacris
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ludacris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hamsterdam. Got dem WMD's.
Posts: 12,277
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

God damnit I miss Jimmy. Is it weird to miss a TV character?
ludacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #730
NDfan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NDfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,012
^lol no
NDfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #731
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Everything not involving Gaston Means or Esther Randolph in this episode was pretty awful. There is no reason for Gretchen Mol to still be a regular on this show.

Outside of general badassery there is no real reason for Harrow to be a regular on this show either.
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #732
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfish1 View Post
Capone, Van Alden, and Chalky may be peripheral characters, but imo they're also the most interesting characters. I want to see more of them and less of Jimmy's mom being super creepy and weird. Margaret is fine since she's clearly important to the show, but I don't see how Jimmy's mom isn't considered a peripheral character at this point. Her importance in the first 2 sesasons was how she related to/coached/had a ****ed up relationship with Jimmy (who was clearly one of the 2 main characters). Now that Jimmy's gone, she should be too.
i agree with this, i don't think she has much of a place on the show either. but wow do i disagree about capone, i think his character is about the least interesting on the show. van alden's character was interesting, he still kind of is, and i think obviously that we will see him become some sort of enforcer in chicago, but that whole arc seems very contrived.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #733
sharpyetblunt
Pooh-Bah
 
sharpyetblunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 3,608
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Dull episode. Moving of chess pieces and what not. Not really a fan of the Nucky vs government plotline which i assume will be the focus of the rest of the season.
sharpyetblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #734
riverfish1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
riverfish1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,030
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
i agree with this, i don't think she has much of a place on the show either. but wow do i disagree about capone, i think his character is about the least interesting on the show. van alden's character was interesting, he still kind of is, and i think obviously that we will see him become some sort of enforcer in chicago, but that whole arc seems very contrived.
kind of surprised that you see capone as uninteresting, but to each his own. Van Alden's character does seem kind of contrived, but I still enjoy seeing his evolution from hyper religious strict rule following fed to organized crime enforcer.
riverfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #735
traz
Werewolf Super*
 
traz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sleeping on stacks
Posts: 33,259
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfish1 View Post
kind of surprised that you see capone as uninteresting, but to each his own. Van Alden's character does seem kind of contrived, but I still enjoy seeing his evolution from hyper religious strict rule following fed to organized crime enforcer.
I didn't have a problem with the Van Alden plot before....back when I thought it was going to be about money.

But the whole FBI agent/wife/murder thing is just horrible and worst of all, unnecessary. They could have just ridden the broke angle which would have made a whole lot more sense.
traz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #736
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfish1 View Post
kind of surprised that you see capone as uninteresting, but to each his own. Van Alden's character does seem kind of contrived, but I still enjoy seeing his evolution from hyper religious strict rule following fed to organized crime enforcer.
what does capone have to do with this show? what relation does he have to nucky or atlantic city? barely any. if the character's name were al simpson it'd be like 'why do we keep seeing what al simpson is up to?'
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #737
traz
Werewolf Super*
 
traz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sleeping on stacks
Posts: 33,259
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
what does capone have to do with this show? what relation does he have to nucky or atlantic city? barely any. if the character's name were al simpson it'd be like 'why do we keep seeing what al simpson is up to?'
Why do we keep seeing what Richard Harrow is up to? Oh that's right because he's a main character in the show and because he's AWESOME.

Your argument can be modified for anyone and doesn't really say anything.
traz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #738
shakalakashakaboom
adept
 
shakalakashakaboom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,022
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
what does capone have to do with this show? what relation does he have to nucky or atlantic city? barely any. if the character's name were al simpson it'd be like 'why do we keep seeing what al simpson is up to?'
And I think this is a problem with the show trying to be like The Wire, but not pulling it off. Jimmy was kinda sorta the main character in The Wire... if we were forced to pick one. But the show had an extremely decentralized structure, and every once in a while we'd get a pay off when seemingly unrelated characters or events became intertwined, or even just casually passed each other by. The main character was the world, the bureaucracy. BE has a much more clear main character in Nucky, and so peripheral characters getting lots of screen time feels out of place.
shakalakashakaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #739
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by traz View Post
Why do we keep seeing what Richard Harrow is up to? Oh that's right because he's a main character in the show and because he's AWESOME.

Your argument can be modified for anyone and doesn't really say anything.
harrow lives in atlantic city. he worked for nucky. my argument is against ever having included al capone in the show. i've only watched the show once and i know he was involved in some plot machinations in both seasons, but he feels like a peripheral character, but was only included because he's a character people would know. although this thread seems to think everyone knew who nucky johnson was.

i know that winter wants to include all of society here, and harrow represents the veterans of WWI now that jimmy is dead. but yeah, i totally agree that there are too many characters in this show. the seasons should be longer to service all of them, or some of them should be written out.

edit: treme is a show where the seven people who watched it also felt like there were too many characters but it knew where it was going and now it's one of the best shows on TV. i don't think boardwalk empire's writers have that kind of vision though.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #740
shakalakashakaboom
adept
 
shakalakashakaboom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,022
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
treme is a show where the seven people who watched it also felt like there were too many characters but it knew where it was going and now it's one of the best shows on TV.
Amen.

I didn't watch The Wire as it was airing, but I imagine this is how it felt. Everyone is talking about this show or that show, yet no one ever talks about this amazing gem that somehow hides out of sight on HBO.
shakalakashakaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #741
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakalakashakaboom View Post
Amen.

I didn't watch The Wire as it was airing, but I imagine this is how it felt. Everyone is talking about this show or that show, yet no one ever talks about this amazing gem that somehow hides out of sight on HBO.
everyone dismissed it as lame and boring. and season 1 kinda was lame and boring. but now that the world is built up, it's just great to spend 55 minutes a week there. people say that the wire was like a novel on tv, but that was like a crime novel. treme is like a russian novel - it's got everything.

note: i'm still 2 episodes behind on it though :/
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #742
Dominic
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 71,475
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

The wide scope of the show is one of the things I like about it. It's like reading a dense, multi-character novel. i like that there are a lot of characters that come and go.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #743
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
The wide scope of the show is one of the things I like about it. It's like reading a dense, multi-character novel. i like that there are a lot of characters that come and go.
I love the wide scope - I just think that, amazingly, it's too wide. There are a billion characters - it feels like that by trying to service all of them, none of them are serviced as much as I'd like.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #744
brandoncla
Pooh-Bah
 
brandoncla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the Rivahhhhs flow like wine
Posts: 5,731
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
what does capone have to do with this show? what relation does he have to nucky or atlantic city? barely any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
harrow lives in atlantic city. he worked for nucky. my argument is against ever having included al capone in the show. i've only watched the show once and i know he was involved in some plot machinations in both seasons, but he feels like a peripheral character, but was only included because he's a character people would know. although this thread seems to think everyone knew who nucky johnson was.
I think if you physically watched the show more than one time you might understand his connection, and be of a different opinion. The 1st season was pretty critical to understanding why. You should watch that.
brandoncla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #745
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncla View Post
I think if you physically watched the show more than one time you might understand his connection, and be of a different opinion. The 1st season was pretty critical to understanding why. You should watch that.
Yeah I just re-read the plot summary. Like I said, I still think Capone was put in because he's a 'name' and that could get people excited during the pilot (I think I was excited, tbh). Or I could be way off and he becomes vital again, I don't know.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #746
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 36,556
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Good points smiglet.

Capones importance will be determines by how many seasons the show goes for.

Better to put him in early in case it does go for a long run.
Bluegrassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #747
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

capone is one of THE main players in 20s bootlegging. Not putting him in would be a massive oversight on the writers part
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #748
sofocused978
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
sofocused978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,765
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

I'm guess that was Gyp's sister giving him a hard time at the beginning. Thought that was a good scene. The church scene was great. **** it the whole episode was really good imo.
sofocused978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #749
shaft88
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
shaft88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,553
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Does anyone else watch the episodes on HBOGO with the interactive features on? I find this really helpful for following plotlines.
shaft88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #750
Conz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Conz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,918
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofocused978 View Post
I'm guess that was Gyp's sister giving him a hard time at the beginning. Thought that was a good scene. The church scene was great. **** it the whole episode was really good imo.
i loved it. well, i hated everytime they came back to Gillian, but accepted it because they managed to "kill" that relationship pretty quickly.

Gyp's family was comedy. That old soldier is comedy. Tommy was comedy. Buscemi cg juggling and Margaret singing was a good scene. Emily is adorable and i still think she's a great actress for her age. Richard is just a great character, and his new girl is cute. Liked pretty much everything, and loved how it all revolved around Easter dinner.

Last edited by Conz; 10-28-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Conz is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive