View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #102
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Something from nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmr View Post
Even if Aaron is unwilling and/or unable to justify his beliefs in a compelling way, that doesn't mean he can't participate in a conversation about other people's beliefs and hold them to a standard he cannot meet. (See, for example, all of his posts ever).
Incidentally, my position has been pretty clear throughout my posting that I don't think that all beliefs are ultimately justifiable in any formal sense. I think we should challenge ourselves towards being clear-minded thinkers, and that probing questions can be helpful for generating discussions and helping us become better thinkers. There are many places where I've openly admitted the limits of what I feel I can reasonably justify to others from a "logic" perspective, and that I believe that "experience" of being human (or the experience of living life, or other similar phrases) is the ultimate driver of our beliefs.

I don't believe that every belief we hold must be formally derived by some sort of syllogism. Nor do I believe that the ability to "syllogize" one's beliefs make them any more reasonable, rational, or logical. In fact, most of the times, the syllogisms are created *after* the belief is established. In that sense, they function more of a tool of self-justification than of intellectual exploration. This is especially true if (as MB is prone to do) one focuses on the conclusion and not the reasoning. In many places, MB has shown that he accepts or rejects arguments on the basis of whether he agrees with the conclusion, and he holds other people to the same, regardless of what they say. (As shown here -- I've never used the Kalam Cosmological argument as a reason to believe in God, but he insists that I'm somehow dependent upon it because I believe in God.)
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote