View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
SpewingIsMyMove
veteran

re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Yes, you should be concerned about seasonal flu. You always should
And no, COVID-19 has not yet reached levels yet to cause panic

But, by the time it does, it will be too late for us to do anything. COVID-19 is scary because it has a higher mortality rate than flu (estimated right now at 2%), the vaccine is 18 months away, it spreads before it is symptomatic, has a respectably high Ro value (estimated at between 2.5 and 4.5), and there is no herd immunity.

Keep in mind, H1N1 infect 60 million Americans. If that were to happen with COVID-19, you would likely see hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of American fatalities.

So yes, while COVID-19 is far from the 'shelter in place' and 'break out your Wateland wanderer Leather jacket' stage, we are far past the 'this is just some foreign thing that can't affect us' stage. With at least multiple states reporting community spread of the virus in the US, we are past containment.

Maybe not now, but I would bet that in about 4 weeks, a poker room is going to be a very bad place to be in. If you do play, you should wash hands very often, be very careful about touching your eyes and mouth. Hand sanitize religiously. Masks are not considered effective (though respirators like the 3M 8511 are).

My stance may be considered a little on the jumpy side, but I would rather err on the side of caution.
SpewingIsMyMove is offline   Reply With Quote