View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #7757
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous

Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Sort of depends on the goal of your boycott, really. As the average citizen I'm sure you realize that you have basically no ability to meaningfully hurt the bottom line of the NFL or WWE or any other number of massive corporations, so doing it on that basis just feels entirely pointless to me. If you generally stay away but will still pop in here and there, the difference felt by that corporation is essentially invisible, so I don't think making occasional exceptions matters at all on that front since the boycott didn't really have that sort of effect to begin with.

The only way, IMO, that it makes sense to boycott those who can't feel it is the moral benefit that you derive from it. If watching football or wrestling makes you squeamish and generally makes you feel worse about yourself, obviously there's a personal benefit to avoidance. And really, there's something to be said for doing the right thing just for the sake of doing the right thing, both in immediately assuaging your ill feelings on that issue and also as a broader practice of keeping your own conscience/morality from deteriorating across a number of other issues as well.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote