View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #17
LaProfessora
enthusiast

Re: Book Announcement: Real Poker Psychology by Mason Malmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi Everyone:

I'm currently writing a new poker book called Real Poker Psychology and this will be the first book I've been an author on since 2004. We expect to release it around the end of the year.

Also, since I'm a mathematician and know little about psychology, this should make me uniquely qualified to write this book.

Here's the Table of Contents.

Best wishes,
Mason

Introduction

Part One: Them Fluctuations
...Introduction
...Variance
...A Mathematical Model of “Tilt” — Cause and Cure
...More on Tilt
...Another Note on Tilt
...A Note on Steaming
...Poker is Counterintuitive
...Rushes
...Running Bad and How to Handle It
...A Little More on Fluctuations
...Luck Versus Skill
...A Band-aid or a Cure

Part Two: How’s Your Poker Game?
...Introduction
...Play Your A Game — Why Wouldn’t You?
...Handling Pressure
...Being Unaware
...Craving Action
...The Maniac
...Evaluating Yourself and Your Opponents
...How to Become a Great Player
...Is It Better To Be Lucky or Good?
...10,000 Hours
...Low-Limit Hold ’em and Players Who Are Unaware
...Poker Magic
...Psychological Strength
...Mental Toughness
...Selecting the Best Game
...Thinking Fast
...What’s Not Important
...Why You Lose
...Being a Tournament Star

Part Three: Image
...Introduction
...Where Did My Image Go?
...Appropriate Image
...When Is a Dynamic Image Good?
...It’s How You Are Perceived
...Weak Tight Opponents
...What Your Opponent Thinks

Part Four: At the Tables
...Introduction
...No-Limit Hold ’em: Is it Too Irritating?
...Some Losing Concepts
...Suggestions for Professional Players
...Too Many Bad Players
...Why Do the Best Players Sometimes Go Broke?
...Why There Are So Few Great Players
...It’s Not What You Eat
...Danny Robinson

Part Five: Tells
...Introduction
...The Value of Tells and Positive Reinforcement
...Visual Cues

Part Six: Other Topics
...Introduction
...Observations
...Staying Broke
...That’s What She Said
...The World’s Worst Player
...The Worst Plays in History
...Throwing Money
...Bankroll Management
...What Happened to the Superstars?
...Jackpot Games
...How Many Winners are There?
...Fight or Flight
...Apathy
...Self-Confidence
...When Running Bad, Some Players Take Shots at You

Part Seven: Silly Ideas
...Introduction
...Self-Weighting Hand Histories
...Having the Best Hand
...Recent Erroneous Concepts

Conclusion
Mason,

I’m just back from my tennis lesson and find myself so refreshed and energized from the 2 hours of court time. Of course, it could just be the wheat grass juice shot that has contributed to my clear thinking today, but be that as it may, I have been contemplating your upcoming, sure to be the first of its kind, poker psychology book. I have a few suggestions that I believe can help you take it over the top!

I admire your willingness to attempt writing a comprehensive book on poker psychology. It is difficult to imagine how someone without a scintilla of experience or knowledge in the field would even know where to start, but once I saw your table of contents, I was truly astounded.

Upon further reflection, I feel I must point out that you’ve missed a few keystone topics. As this is to be the book of real poker psychology, I don’t want you to miss a thing. So in no particular order, let me fire off a few suggestions for you to consider.
• Four mistaken goals of behavior: Attention, Power, Revenge, and Inadequacy (see especially the works of Rudolf Dreikurs and Alfred Adler for more on this)
• Understanding the effects of the various personality disorders that can impede success (i.e. narcissism, borderline personality, schizo-affective disorder)
• Coping with FOMO (fear of missing out) – a rapidly growing affliction particularly correlated with the increase in environmental noise
• Knowing your mental limits but going beyond them anyway
• Your complete guide to the three decision-making philosophies (especially with regards to current research on Bayes’ Theorem and it’s lack of functional utility at the poker table)
• Owning up to an overblown ego especially when it is due to overcompensation (see the works of Sigmund Freud for a thorough review)
• Utilizing compensation behaviors to cover up an inferiority complex (Alfred Adler originated the concept and Karen Horney expanded upon it at great length)
There are even more areas that you could surely cover in your book. As soon as I have given it some more thought, I will update the thread.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Tricia Cardner

P.S. I will be looking forward to reading this in it's entirety and I'll be looking closely at your fully annotated and correctly cited bibliography that I am sure will adhere to current APA standards.
LaProfessora is offline   Reply With Quote