View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 03:07 AM   #185
MissileDog
a good little dog

Re: Flower, Cinnamon Stick, & Sabo

News of Sabo's 2015
Dog Day Championship

Last evening, the Cubs won 5-0 in front of the Pups in PNC Park (Pirates, 2-6, elim). This moves the Cubs into undisputed first place, half a game out in front of a nine team peloton. The next dog game is Oakland's Bark in the Park, tomorrow at 7:05 pdt.

As I blogged, and like the earlier D'backs game, I gave serious consideration to taking Sabo to this game too. In fact, I would have made it a multi-game road-trip, and left for Oakland straight from the 66ers game. My reasoning was this: I wanna eventually take Sabo to both a Giants and an A's game. They each only do one dog day a year. They weren't nice enough to schedule them a coupla days apart this year, and it's unlikely they ever will. So it's going to be two trips. I've never been to AT&T Park, which is called the jewel of MLB. The Giants always sell out, I might not even be able to get a ticket next year... and the Giants aren't getting any cheaper.

OTOH, Sabo's never been to either stadium. I haven't been to the Oakland Mausoleum since the Flower era. That was before they built Mt. Davis (that monstrosity in CF), so it'd effectively be a 'new' stadium for me too. One way or the other, the Mausoleum ain't going to be around much longer. It's a night game... and the A's don't charge absurd prices like the Giants.

snopes.com says M.Twain didn't write this

Even if Twain didn't actually write "The coldest winter I've ever spent was a summer in San Francisco", there's a reason the saying is said. Still, it could just as easily be brutally hot at a day game at AT&T, and the dog seats are the CF bleachers... no where near any shade. Everything being equal I'd prefer a night game.

Years ago, while a was taking a few classes at Cal, Uncle B stopped by. It was a nice and sunny in Berkeley, around noon in late July. He said: "Let's go see the game tonight over at the 'Stick". I asked: "What are you wearing?" He replied with something about shorts, or whatever. I borrowed the heaviest jacket I could find, and brought my own heavy jacket. We froze our butts off. We got great seats from a scalper, right behind home. Around the 7th inning, after the fog rolled in, we literally couldn't see the centerfield fence. There's no way the home plate ump could either. I wonder what they'd do today with the replay camera situation?

Anyways... even though Sabo won't be there, it's a pivotal game in the dog game season. If the A's (0-1, elim) win, the visiting Astros are eliminated. If the Astros (1-0) win, they'd tie the Cubs (2-0) for first, and eliminate the Mariners (2-1), Mets (2-2), Orioles (0-0), and the defending champion White Sox (0-0).

MissileDog is offline   Reply With Quote