View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #692
jackwilcox
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: NL10 to NL200 experiment - finding a way to beat each limit

ok, so part 2 is tilt control

a lot of what im going to write is taken from tommy angelo's series on deuces cracked, so for those of you who have listened to it, this probably wont be that useful.

definition: tilt is a factor(s) which stops you from playing your A game/ your best game. you can be playing your B or C game and still be a winning player. you can be playing your A game and still be a losing player. whether you're winning or losing is irrelevant, controlling your tilt is just about controlling the factors that stop you playing your best (A) game possible.

playing your A game starts before you even sit down at the table. its the mindset you're in. if you are well prepared mentally, then you're going to be able to play better than if you arent - obvious. yet a lot of people will still force themselves to play for whatever reason: they need the money, they're bored, etc.

lets go back to the example of an investment business..... you're the manager in charge of deciding whether to invest or not. you have an important meeting tomorrow with a company who are going to pitch their business to you in order to try and get an investment.

what are you going to do tonight?

are you going to go out clubbing and get smashed, then buy a greasy kebab on the way home, so that tomorrow you have a crazy hangover, are on the toilet all day, and generally dont want to listen to someone talking about their forecasted profit over the next 3 years?? no.

what are you going to do tomorrow morning??

are you going to do a load of paperwork at your office which will make you mentally exhausted for the meeting ahead? no.
are you going to order a large domino's pizza and eat it all to yourself so that you're bloated by the time of the meeting? no.
are you going to drink a bottle of jack daniels so that you're off your tits by the time of the meeting and dont know wtf's going on? no.

you're going to chill out, get a good night sleep, keep yourself refreshed, prepare yourself so that you can ask questions and find out all the information you need to about this potential investment.

so if this is how you would run your investment business, why is that a lot of people dont think this way about poker??

i used to play a ton of the time when i really shouldnt - ive had a long day doing work, im tired, hungover, bloated, hungry, thirsty, etc etc. things that are going to affect my performance a lot. im trying to cut down on how often i do these things, and its really just about being professional and recognising that if you want to do well in poker, you really need to get in the right mindset. anything that stops you from playing your A game is costing you money. lets say when your on your A game you make $10 an hour, but when you're on your C game, you lose $1 an hour. if you cut out all the times you played your C game you would automatically be 10% richer.

this is the same thing with quitting. you can be playing your A game for an hour, but then after an hour you lose concentration. this is a form of tilt because you arent playing your A game anymore. staying at the table is costing you money even though you are up for the session - try and look for spells when you lose focus. i know im losing my focus when i check my red line for the session and it has suddenly started to plummet - its clear im making a ton of mistakes so i stop playing.

playing good poker means being in the right mindset. if you arent professional in your approach to the game, then you arent going to be able to play to the best of your ability, and emotions are going over ride your decisions and cloud your judgement.

how about in game tilt? common phrases such as "that guys such an idiot, wtf was he doing?" or "omg thats such a bad beat, this is f**king sick" - are they valid?

dealing with your opposition:

well lets think of what your goal is in poker. it should be to make money. the things that are in the way of you and your goal is the opposition, and you have to find a way of getting around them. it wont happen all the time, naturally sometimes you will run straight into the nuts or whatever, but you have to ignore that and get on with trying to achieve your goal.

how about if you were playing golf, whats your aim then? well, your goal is to get the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible. whats in the way of you achieving that goal? tree's, water, sand can all be in the way, but if you shoot a ball straight into a tree, you arent going to go up to it and shout "wtf are you doing you stupid tree!? omg you're such a f**king ****** for being there!". if u did, you'd look like an idiot. its the same in poker.

if something comes between you and your goal, you just have to get on with it and find a way to get around the obstacle.

dealing with getting outdrawn:

well the 1st thing to do is expell any negative words with what is effectively a change in equity. at every point in a hand there's a chance you're going to lose. it may be a 5% chance or a 50% chance, but theres still a chance. sure, its not good to lose, but when you do you have to accept it as a change in equity and move on. coining phrases such as "bad beat" or "suck out" create a negative thought process in your mind which just leads to making you angry. statistically, any change in equity against you is just as likely to happen in the future in your favour, so factoring short term variance into any form of anger or negativity is just ******ed.

if you are fully bankrolled and a winning player, getting outdrawn shouldnt affect you in terms of your ability to play the game you are in. if it does, look up to the top where i talk about things that affect you playing your A game. maybe if you take a hit to your roll you cant play your A game, in that case you should just quit and come back when you're refreshed.

lets say you get it all in preflop with AA v JTs, you have a roughly 80/20 equity advantage. you can only expect to win 4 out of 5 times.

if you place a bet on a horse and you think he will win 4 out of 5 races, are you going to go crazy when he doesnt win one of them?? no.

going back again to our business example, if you are told theres a 20% chance your investment is going to lose you money, are you actually going to be shouting and screaming when you lose your stake? no, you're going to accept it and move on because it doesnt affect the position of your business to make good future investments.

any time that you get outdrawn, your equity in the hand has changed. thats all.

the secret of controlling tilt is just recognising what affects you from making good decisions and eliminating them. maybe you're under rolled and therefore playing scared money so that if you lose a big pot/ get outdrawn you are really p*ssed. or maybe you work for long hours before you play so that you're mentally tired when you sit down. or maybe you always go out for drinks with mates before you play and therefore are a little bit drunk/ tipsy when playing. whatever it is, you need to work out what causes you to not be able to play your A game and just eliminate it from your preparation/ gameplay.
jackwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote