Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Two Plus Two Pokercast Discussions about the Two Plus Two Pokercast featuring interactions with the weekly special guests.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Bunner
grinder
 
Bunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: @PokerCastBunner
Posts: 590
PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Live from the Two Plus Two Studios, September 12th 2011 - Mike McDonald & WCOOP Coverage The feature guest this week on the Two Plus Two PokerCast is the latest Epic Poker League champion Mike "Timex" McDonald. Mike returns to the PokerCast to talk about his second biggest live tournament score, the controversial EPL decision to exclude an amateur player after winning a satellite seat and his return to school. Mike and Adam also recap all the completed action from the 10th annual World Championship of Online Poker connecting with SteveD to get his take on the series so far. Deuces Cracked coach 'Bellatrix' talks about 'Pre-emptive Betting' in this weeks Leggo Poker / Deuces Cracked strategy segment. Mike and Adam preview the 'TV Comedy Madness' Final Four in forum static and of course give away the password for the September 18th Poker Stars VIP Club Invitational for PokerCast listeners.



PokerCast Theme - Demitone Productions Inc. 2007 : Tame the Sun - Male bonding - Endless Now 2011 : Vagabond - Beirut - The Rip Tide 2011 : Make Up - Wiretree - Make Up 2011 :
Bunner is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
inthepub5
banned
 
inthepub5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FU DOJ
Posts: 3,994
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

ZOMG THIRST

Last edited by inthepub5; 09-13-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: feel shame
inthepub5 is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Doc Svenson
journeyman
 
Doc Svenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

2nd yeeaahhhhh
Doc Svenson is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
mmmItIt
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In my head.
Posts: 39
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Bronze
mmmItIt is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Bunner
grinder
 
Bunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: @PokerCastBunner
Posts: 590
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Direct DL http://pokercast.twoplustwo.com/podcast/188.mp3
Bunner is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
smarrigrotta
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 250
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

5th yes!! personal record
smarrigrotta is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
SMUTTTT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SMUTTTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,126
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

sweet
SMUTTTT is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
uberkuber
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,167
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Lucky 7nd!
uberkuber is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
BigZap
journeyman
 
BigZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 211
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

I like how Timex's dad takes a piece of him in the 2+2 marketplace - a few flamed him for his high markup, I guess that is one way to prove your point.

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/18...onald-1074613/
BigZap is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
that_pope
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
that_pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Casino AZ
Posts: 27,216
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

la la la
im so sexy
that_pope is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
retrorevenger
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 209
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

How can you guys complain about Full Tilt's ethics so much and then say there shouldn't be an ethics committee for EPL? It seems to be a very inconsistent stance.
retrorevenger is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Mike Johnson
Former Pokercast Co-Host
 
Mike Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bilzerian's Beard
Posts: 6,865
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorevenger View Post
How can you guys complain about Full Tilt's ethics so much and then say there shouldn't be an ethics committee for EPL? It seems to be a very inconsistent stance.
I can't begin to imagine how you feel a billion dollar corporation and a 250 player poker league can begin to be compared, but do please expound on how they are similar in any way?
Mike Johnson is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
lemmyisgod
adept
 
lemmyisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,133
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

10fffd!!!! (Bunners link nolo counto)

Wanted to thank whomever mentioned Jay Mohr's podcast. I love me some Pokercast but had some extra availability in my listening sched now that I'm up to date with all 187 eps. I listened to 'Mohrstories' podcast and it was hilarious.

I know comedy is big with a lot of PC listeners so I definitely suggest checking it out if you want some non-poker adult-oriented listening in your diet.

JD - feel free to edit me here if this is inappropriate forum toutage.

Last edited by lemmyisgod; 09-13-2011 at 12:06 PM.
lemmyisgod is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
retrorevenger
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 209
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
I can't begin to imagine how you feel a billion dollar corporation and a 250 player poker league can begin to be compared, but do please expound on how they are similar in any way?
Are you saying the EPL isn't big enough to worry about ethics? Everyone should be acting ethically especially with large sums of money involved and there should be things in place to make sure this happens.
retrorevenger is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
Mike Johnson
Former Pokercast Co-Host
 
Mike Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bilzerian's Beard
Posts: 6,865
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorevenger View Post
Are you saying the EPL isn't big enough to worry about ethics? Everyone should be acting ethically especially with large sums of money involved and there should be things in place to make sure this happens.
Size has nothing to do with. The WSOP is 100x bigger than the EPL will ever be and they don't have an ethics committee. You need to differentiate between gambling/poker ethics in general and an 'ethics committee' that meets and discusses players personal life.

What I'm saying is the EPL doesn't need an 'ethics committee'. That's very different than saying a casino shouldn't expect their customers to act ethically. Casinos have always had the power to remove someone from their property/games for any reason they see fit. They don't need a committee made of up players from the league(not casino executives) deciding based on vague, ambiguous guidelines who is and isn't worthy.

If the casino doesn't want you playing for any reason, you don't play. It's always been that way. The WSOP, EPT and other major poker tours all expect their players to be ethical from a gambling and behavior standpoint and will act accordingly if not, but they certainly don't feel it necessary to dig into peoples personal lives to determine if they are worthy of placing a bet.
Mike Johnson is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
bellatrix
Rigged for her pleasure
 
bellatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: bloggin'
Posts: 4,995
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

I'm not quite sure I buy your "women are more risk averse" argument, Mike. It sounds a whole lot like the "women don't have a math gene" (e.g Larry Summer's argument - blergh) and that's why women in science are far underrepresented.

For me it is a chicken/egg problem and mostly cultural. It carries a stigma to be a woman gambling. Much more in a public setting like big buyin tourneys. I know of a lot of women that prefer the anonymity of online poker, exactly because they can hide there.

.
.
.

Plus, they are tourneys, ewwww.
bellatrix is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
retrorevenger
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 209
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
Size has nothing to do with. The WSOP is 100x bigger than the EPL will ever be and they don't have an ethics committee. You need to differentiate between gambling/poker ethics in general and an 'ethics committee' that meets and discusses players personal life.

What I'm saying is the EPL doesn't need an 'ethics committee'. That's very different than saying a casino shouldn't expect their customers to act ethically. Casinos have always had the power to remove someone from their property/games for any reason they see fit. They don't need a committee made of up players from the league(not casino executives) deciding based on vague, ambiguous guidelines who is and isn't worthy.

If the casino doesn't want you playing for any reason, you don't play. It's always been that way. The WSOP, EPT and other major poker tours all expect their players to be ethical from a gambling and behavior standpoint and will act accordingly if not, but they certainly don't feel it necessary to dig into peoples personal lives to determine if they are worthy of placing a bet.
I completely agree size doesn't matter but you did bring up the sizes of FT and EPL not me, which is why I made the comment/asked the question.

I've had a quick scan thru your posts in the NVG thread and I agree with you on all points apart the fact the ethics committee shouldn't exist. If the owners/executives of the EPL want to run a whiter than white league then an ethics committee would be useful. It is clearly very flawed at the moment but if they can solve its problems then there is no reason it shouldn't exist.

If any league or tournament series, WSOP, EPT, EPL, etc, wants to have a rule stating "if you fit these criteria you will only have your buy-in refunded" and it is clearly stated before the tournament starts then an independent (Annie Duke or any other EPL owners/executives should not be part of it) open ethics committee surely has to be better than it being dealt with behind closed doors by sort of security team, at the whim of those with a vested interest. All poker leagues and tournaments series have a team of people to enforce the rules of the tournament. The EPL has decided to do this with the "Epic Poker Standards & Conduct Committee" and if it can be properly implemented I think its preferable than other current methods.
retrorevenger is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
Mike Johnson
Former Pokercast Co-Host
 
Mike Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bilzerian's Beard
Posts: 6,865
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix View Post
I'm not quite sure I buy your "women are more risk averse" argument, Mike. It sounds a whole lot like the "women don't have a math gene" (e.g Larry Summer's argument - blergh) and that's why women in science are far underrepresented.

For me it is a chicken/egg problem and mostly cultural. It carries a stigma to be a woman gambling. Much more in a public setting like big buyin tourneys. I know of a lot of women that prefer the anonymity of online poker, exactly because they can hide there.

.
.
.

Plus, they are tourneys, ewwww.
My theory is simply that women have different and IMO superior priorities in life than men do. Men prioritize things like drinking and gambling. In fact many including myself would probably do that all day every day if we could.

A majority(not all) of women prioritize things like family, kids, building a home etc.. and look at gambling as a fun recreational activity to do occasionally(exceptions to this of course also) but not something to take seriously. Because of this, I think the sheer volume of men who think being good at poker is important will always be greater than the number of women who think the same thing.

I'm certain that if a large percentage of women thought that being good at poker was something important, they could potentially dominate the game. It's not a matter of ability, brains, skill or otherwise, I believe it's just a matter than not nearly as many women think being good at poker is worthwhile.
Mike Johnson is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Berlino
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,203
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Stars would love to grow their presence in the World's second most populous country, India.

Therefore, Victor Ramdin may be very valuable to them, since he is clearly of Indian descent.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about Indian culture to judge if someone from Guyana or the US would have marketing value there, but it is certainly possible.
Berlino is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
bellatrix
Rigged for her pleasure
 
bellatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: bloggin'
Posts: 4,995
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
My theory is simply that women have different and IMO superior priorities in life than men do. Men prioritize things like drinking and gambling. In fact many including myself would probably do that all day every day if we could.

A majority(not all) of women prioritize things like family, kids, building a home etc.. and look at gambling as a fun recreational activity to do occasionally(exceptions to this of course also) but not something to take seriously. Because of this, I think the sheer volume of men who think being good at poker is important will always be greater than the number of women who think the same thing.

I'm certain that if a large percentage of women thought that being good at poker was something important, they could potentially dominate the game. It's not a matter of ability, brains, skill or otherwise, I believe it's just a matter than not nearly as many women think being good at poker is worthwhile.
Yes, but those are cultural and not natural traits. And if you think women don't gamble, you obviously haven't seen slot machines, bingo halls (the majority of people sitting in front of those machines are women). Many of my friends meet regularly. Guess what, they ain't knitting. The play dice, bridge and yes, poker. They just don't do it in an open manner, where egos are displayed like poker. It is the stigma associated with that game in the open.

Also, we're talking 10% here, not a majority, not even a large percentage.
bellatrix is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #21
Mike Johnson
Former Pokercast Co-Host
 
Mike Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bilzerian's Beard
Posts: 6,865
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix View Post
Yes, but those are cultural and not natural traits. And if you think women don't gamble, you obviously haven't seen slot machines, bingo halls (the majority of people sitting in front of those machines are women). Many of my friends meet regularly. Guess what, they ain't knitting. The play dice, bridge and yes, poker. They just don't do it in an open manner, where egos are displayed like poker. It is the stigma associated with that game in the open.

Also, we're talking 10% here, not a majority, not even a large percentage.
They also don't do it for high stakes(aversion to risk) as the best 150 poker players in the world do.

You can't possibly be saying that because 60 year old ladies like playing bingo and penny slots that we are likely to see a flock of 22 year women starting to play 10K poker tournaments. Come on, bella.
Mike Johnson is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
bellatrix
Rigged for her pleasure
 
bellatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: bloggin'
Posts: 4,995
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
They also don't do it for high stakes(aversion to risk) as the best 150 poker players in the world do.

You can't possibly be saying that because 60 year old ladies like playing bingo and penny slots that we are likely to see a flock of 22 year women starting to play 10K poker tournaments. Come on, bella.
No, I actually agree with you that I don't think women are gonna flock to high stakes tourneys. But one can always hope for 10%...

It's mainly semantics and I wanted to emphasize the lack of women in poker is cultural and I personally think it has nothing to do with the gambling aspect, but other aspects where the traits that are thought of typically manly are highlighted more.
bellatrix is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
lemmyisgod
adept
 
lemmyisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,133
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

OMG.............this thread needs some levity

http://animalsbeingdicks.com/page/9

NOTHING beats little kids being flattened by large dogs be it cultural or natural.
lemmyisgod is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Mike Johnson
Former Pokercast Co-Host
 
Mike Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bilzerian's Beard
Posts: 6,865
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod View Post
OMG.............this thread needs some levity
Bellatrix and I always bicker. That way we can hug it out later.
Mike Johnson is offline  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
lemmyisgod
adept
 
lemmyisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,133
Re: PokerCast Episode 188 - Mike "Timex" McDonald & WCOOP Coverage

Is it just me or is it strange that

http://www.kristygazes.com/ STILL says she plays online at Full Tilt Poker!?

I remember reading that she was playing less and managing a successful arbitrage business or something. I'm not sure who would want to invest money with someone who's own personal website is so out of date, out of touch, and suggests a business connection to a multimillion dollar worldwide financial fraud????

Hall-of-Famer!!???
lemmyisgod is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online