Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Golf Discuss the game of golf

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #376
ntanygd760
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ntanygd760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,048
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

I would play 2 balls. Go back and re tee one of them and play the ball as it lies for the other but not grounding the club in case it is ruled as lateral and then figure that out after.

A similar thing happened in a group after me in a tourney I was in that delayed play for like 20 minutes, some guy bombed the ball over a lateral hazard into the parking lot and someone saw it was in parking lot not hazard with no listing of the parking lot being OB. No clue what the ruling ended up being but they wasted a lot of time to figure it out.
ntanygd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #377
EddyB66
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
EddyB66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 21,908
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

What's the ruling here:

Course I play has 2 holes where the 150 marker is a white pole sticking out of the ground in the middle of the fairway. It's high enough that your ball could hit it if it landed close enough. I hit a drive that landed about 5 yards behind the pole and it was right in my line of fire to the flag. Do I get a free drop here? If so, where would I drop?

The pole is immovable.
EddyB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #378
scottc25
veteran
 
scottc25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TPA
Posts: 2,421
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyB66 View Post
What's the ruling here:

Course I play has 2 holes where the 150 marker is a white pole sticking out of the ground in the middle of the fairway. It's high enough that your ball could hit it if it landed close enough. I hit a drive that landed about 5 yards behind the pole and it was right in my line of fire to the flag. Do I get a free drop here? If so, where would I drop?

The pole is immovable.
Yes, free drop within one club length from your nearest point of relief.
scottc25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #379
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 16,624
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Don't think that's right. If it's not a temporary obstruction and doesn't affect your stance or swing you gotta play it as it lies.

Everywhere I've ever played with those, you can pull them out and move them. That's weird that they'd be immovable, are they cemented in or something?
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #380
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 16,624
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc25 View Post
Had an interesting thing come up in a tournament today. Par 4 has a not very wide lateral hazard to the left of the fairway. On the other side of the fairway is a little strip of land (think a foot, maybe less) then it mounds up into the backyards of the houses.

My tee shot lands over the lateral hazard (marked with red stakes) and into the small strip of grass. I look around and see no out of bounds stakes. In order to get to the ball I actually would have to walk through peoples yards to get to it.

Natural thing to do would be to look at the local rules printed on the scorecard. The rules sheet given out for the tournament starts like this: 1. All local rules are not to be used.

So I look over the tournament rules sheet and there is nothing to address this.

So do you:

1) Call it out of bounds and re-tee?
2) Call it a lateral water hazard and drop on the right side of the hazard?
3) Play it as it lies as if it was in a lateral hazard?
4) Play it as it lies during the normal course of play?
Don't see how you could call it out of bounds, how would you determine where the OB started?

Are there stakes on both sides of this hazard or just on the side closest to the fairway?
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #381
ntnBO
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,560
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
Don't think that's right. If it's not a temporary obstruction and doesn't affect your stance or swing you gotta play it as it lies.

Everywhere I've ever played with those, you can pull them out and move them. That's weird that they'd be immovable, are they cemented in or something?
Agree. Similar to a sprinkler box, you get relief from stance and swing but not line of flight. Any course that has 150 poles cemented in must have a moron in charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
Don't see how you could call it out of bounds, how would you determine where the OB started?

Are there stakes on both sides of this hazard or just on the side closest to the fairway?
This. All dependent on if there are red stakes on both sides of the hazard. If there are stakes only on the fairway side then your ball is in the hazard and you can proceed accordingly. If there are stakes on both sides of the hazard then your ball is in play and you can proceed accordingly.
ntnBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #382
scottc25
veteran
 
scottc25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TPA
Posts: 2,421
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Hazard stakes just on the inside (closest to the fairway). I will post what I did in the am.
scottc25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #383
scottc25
veteran
 
scottc25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TPA
Posts: 2,421
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

I ended up using #3 above, playing it as if it was in a lateral water hazard. At that point in the round I was at +7 through 12 holes so I had no realistic chance of winning anything.

I think if I was in it I would have done two things:
1) Re-tee and play the hole out and;
2) Drop a ball as if it was a lateral water hazard and play the hole out.

After the round I would have received a ruling as to what score to use.

The lie was really bad but I thought why no try and advance it, which I didn't, as I hit it right back into the lateral hazard. I took a drop and still had 230y to the green. Ended up making a quad.
scottc25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 AM   #384
whosnext
Pooh-Bah
 
whosnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 4,032
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Here's one I have never heard of before. It happened in a friendly game at the local muni. But I wonder what the correct ruling would have been if this, somehow, occurred in an official tournament.

Hole 8, long par 4. One of our foresome, call him Fred, is on the tee. He tees up his ball. He invariably takes two practice swings on every tee. On his second practice swing he must have been standing a little too close to the ball and he just barely grazes the ball! The ball shoots off at a nearly 90-degree angle from the tee, going right over our golf cart.

We all laughed uncontrollably and Fred was as red-faced as anyone I have ever seen. He trudged after the ball and played it where it lay. It was only about 50 yards due right from the teeing ground and was actually very playable (don't worry about it being out of bounds or anything like that).

After the round we were yukking it up in the clubhouse when someone overheard our conversation about poor Fred hitting a tee ball with a practice swing. He told us that Fred need not have played that shot since he was not intending to hit it with that swing. (Some of us were pretty sure that was correct.) No penalty shot or anything. Just tee up another ball and hit away.

However, given that he did play that "foul ball", did Fred violate any rule by playing that ball? We asked a few of the more knowledgeable folks at the muni, but nobody had a definitive answer.
whosnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #385
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 86,404
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

OB question:

What is the rule if your ball is clearly beyond the boundaries of the course, but these boundaries are not marked in any way AND no local rule exists to define the boundary of the course? For instance, say your ball lies 50 yards into someone's personal property, but there are no markings or local rules defining this as OB?

As far as I can tell, you have the right to play the ball as the Rules of Golf only mention "marked" boundaries and local rules that define boundaries. Absent a marking or local rule it seems like there is no boundary. Is this correct?
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #386
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 16,624
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosnext View Post
Here's one I have never heard of before. It happened in a friendly game at the local muni. But I wonder what the correct ruling would have been if this, somehow, occurred in an official tournament.

Hole 8, long par 4. One of our foresome, call him Fred, is on the tee. He tees up his ball. He invariably takes two practice swings on every tee. On his second practice swing he must have been standing a little too close to the ball and he just barely grazes the ball! The ball shoots off at a nearly 90-degree angle from the tee, going right over our golf cart.

We all laughed uncontrollably and Fred was as red-faced as anyone I have ever seen. He trudged after the ball and played it where it lay. It was only about 50 yards due right from the teeing ground and was actually very playable (don't worry about it being out of bounds or anything like that).

After the round we were yukking it up in the clubhouse when someone overheard our conversation about poor Fred hitting a tee ball with a practice swing. He told us that Fred need not have played that shot since he was not intending to hit it with that swing. (Some of us were pretty sure that was correct.) No penalty shot or anything. Just tee up another ball and hit away.

However, given that he did play that "foul ball", did Fred violate any rule by playing that ball? We asked a few of the more knowledgeable folks at the muni, but nobody had a definitive answer.
On the tee, if he didn't intend to hit the ball, he doesn't have to play it. Anywhere else on the hole you have to play it. (The ball isn't in play on the hole until you tee off)

Not sure how it's ruled for actually playing it.
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #387
EddyB66
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
EddyB66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 21,908
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
Don't think that's right. If it's not a temporary obstruction and doesn't affect your stance or swing you gotta play it as it lies.

Everywhere I've ever played with those, you can pull them out and move them. That's weird that they'd be immovable, are they cemented in or something?


Here's a pic.

EddyB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #388
ntanygd760
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ntanygd760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,048
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
OB question:

What is the rule if your ball is clearly beyond the boundaries of the course, but these boundaries are not marked in any way AND no local rule exists to define the boundary of the course? For instance, say your ball lies 50 yards into someone's personal property, but there are no markings or local rules defining this as OB?

As far as I can tell, you have the right to play the ball as the Rules of Golf only mention "marked" boundaries and local rules that define boundaries. Absent a marking or local rule it seems like there is no boundary. Is this correct?
Yeah I guess you can. I wonder if a no trespassing sign would make it OB. It is one of those things they always make clear before a tournament though.
ntanygd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #389
ntanygd760
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ntanygd760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,048
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyB66 View Post
Here's a pic.

I have never ever ever played a course where you can't remove them. How do they mow the fairway near them? I would figure out a way to move that **** if it was an issue.
ntanygd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #390
campfirewest
Pooh-Bah
 
campfirewest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,692
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
On the tee, if he didn't intend to hit the ball, he doesn't have to play it. Anywhere else on the hole you have to play it. (The ball isn't in play on the hole until you tee off)

Not sure how it's ruled for actually playing it.
If you unintentionally hit the ball it's a 1 stroke penalty and you have to replace it, with the exception being if you are on the tee there is no penalty.

https://www.thoughtco.com/accidental...e-ball-1561299

I think the ruling is the guy is DQ'd for not hitting his first shot from the tee
campfirewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #391
ntnBO
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,560
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfirewest View Post
If you unintentionally hit the ball it's a 1 stroke penalty and you have to replace it, with the exception being if you are on the tee there is no penalty.

https://www.thoughtco.com/accidental...e-ball-1561299

I think the ruling is the guy is DQ'd for not hitting his first shot from the tee
This is correct. The guy would not be DQ'd, he would be penalized however.

And the "guys at the muni" were not very knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
OB question:

What is the rule if your ball is clearly beyond the boundaries of the course, but these boundaries are not marked in any way AND no local rule exists to define the boundary of the course? For instance, say your ball lies 50 yards into someone's personal property, but there are no markings or local rules defining this as OB?

As far as I can tell, you have the right to play the ball as the Rules of Golf only mention "marked" boundaries and local rules that define boundaries. Absent a marking or local rule it seems like there is no boundary. Is this correct?
Any ball hit off the property of the golf course is OB.

From the USGA rule book definitions: "Out of bounds" is beyond the boundaries of the course or any part of the course so marked by the Committee.
ntnBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #392
RunninCM
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 825
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/you...-pga-tour-card

2 stroke penalty for not rehitting a putt after a leaf knocked if offline. What is that BS??
RunninCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #393
ntnBO
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,560
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninCM View Post
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/you...-pga-tour-card

2 stroke penalty for not rehitting a putt after a leaf knocked if offline. What is that BS??
It's in the rule book in black and white, he broke it. Simple.

Admittedly, this has happened to me in a casual game and I didn't know the rule until this weekend.
ntnBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #394
RunninCM
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 825
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

It shouldn't be in the rule book. It's nature.
RunninCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:10 AM   #395
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 16,624
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Didn't some random leaf (or something similar) fall out of the sky and stop or knock off line a putt by mickelson at the masters a couple years ago? I don't remember him replaying it.
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #396
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 16,624
Re: *** Official Rules Questions/Issues Thread ***

Nevermind, looks like it fell right before his backstroke and wasn't moving.

https://youtu.be/8bc2HC3Q-GQ
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online