Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread

03-29-2013 , 12:38 AM
Wow @ dufnering. Sandra Gal even in on it. Too bad she's not Dufnering in a white bra and thong.

Dufner's one of my favorite players. I imagine he relates to a lot of people on this site with his cold, rational demeanor. He's got an economics degree.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 12:45 AM
Being emotionless is just more efficient.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homanga
Check out #dufnering on twitter for a good laugh.
so good
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 12:54 AM
just went tilt watching Keegan take like 3 minutes to pull the trigger on a bunker shot. I wouldn't miss him at all if he died in a tire fire.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rod's Cousin
Dufner's one of my favorite players. I imagine he relates to a lot of people on this site with his cold, rational demeanor. He's got an economics degree.
dingdingdingding
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottswoode
just went tilt watching Keegan take like 3 minutes to pull the trigger on a bunker shot. I wouldn't miss him at all if he died in a tire fire.
I saw that, too. Then he hit it to like 8 feet. I'll see plenty of him tomorrow.

Bradley can be super-slow sometimes which is mega-tilting. He's still one of the funnest guys to watch making a charge on Sunday. I was pulling for Dufner in the PGA but Bradley's play down the stretch was incredible. He really is a fierce competitor.

During match play final Hunter Mahan had a greenside bunker shot that he hit short and was still out. He was left with a 10-20 foot putt and I clocked him at 2 minutes and 36 seconds between the time he hit his bunker shot and his putt. ****ing insane. Almost 3 minutes when he was still out.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rod's Cousin
During match play final Hunter Mahan had a greenside bunker shot that he hit short and was still out. He was left with a 10-20 foot putt and I clocked him at 2 minutes and 36 seconds between the time he hit his bunker shot and his putt. ****ing insane. Almost 3 minutes when he was still out.
He was like that in high school too, even in practice rounds.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottswoode
just went tilt watching Keegan take like 3 minutes to pull the trigger on a bunker shot. I wouldn't miss him at all if he died in a tire fire.
I don't see why there can't be a shot clock in golf.Go over 2 minutes and its a 1 shot penalty and then the clock restarts.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 02:33 AM
grunching

LOL BO
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 02:45 AM
Ty Tryon was on Tiger Woods 04. I was like, who the **** is this "phenom" that I've never heard of before and never heard of since?

I always kicked his ass in his stupid challenge and then lost the driving competition to Annika Sorenstam. Probably tells you all you need to know about the kid
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schu_22
Nice double, bogey, bogey down the stretch there Phil. Go back to snorting Enbrel and eating pulled pork sandwiches
Dude, that's not nice!

Spoiler:
Don't bad mouth pulled pork.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottswoode
just went tilt watching Keegan take like 3 minutes to pull the trigger on a bunker shot. I wouldn't miss him at all if he died in a tire fire.
Yeah, that was ridiculous. You really gotta walk up to see your spot that many times, keegan?! And Notah during all of it was like, I love keegans routine, he might take a long time to approach it, but when he does, no time is wasted.

His pre shot routine looks like someone who just hit a crack rock, but it works for him. Ide imagine being in the same group as him is miserable. I know I wouldn't want to watch that **** all day long.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfirewest
I don't see why there can't be a shot clock in golf.Go over 2 minutes and its a 1 shot penalty and then the clock restarts.
BO,

What are your thoughts on this?
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 09:11 AM
A shot clock is impractical. When does it start? When you get to your ball? When the green clears? When your partner hits? So if you are away you get 2 minutes and if you are second to hit you get 4 minutes? Is there a guy with a stopwatch following every group?

Solution in search of a problem imo.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 09:23 AM
They have one today they just don't enforce it. Make the time limit longer so there are no excuses but then actually hand out stroke penalties.

Quote:
A rules official or Tour official will notify all players in the group that the group is being put "on the clock." Once a group is on the clock, PGA Tour officials begin timing each player. Once that timing of a group begins, each player has 40 seconds to play each stroke, except in the following cases when he has 60 seconds:

• He is the first of his group to play from the teeing ground of a par-3 hole;
• He is the first to play a second shot on a par-4 or par-5;
• He is the first to play a third shot on a par-5;
• He is the first player to play around the putting green;
• He is the first to play on the putting green.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 09:26 AM
That's not a universal shot clock; it's implemented only when the group loses contact with the group ahead of it.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 09:28 AM
The whole process is a universal shot clock. If you play slow, you eventually get put on the clock.

I hate people who play slow as much as anyone, but as long as players keep up I'm fine with it.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucksandgravs
BO,

What are your thoughts on this?
Against it. There are just too many places the ball ends up where a lot of extra thought is required. That being said, I do believe play is too slow on tour.

BO
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucksandgravs
Yeah, that was ridiculous. You really gotta walk up to see your spot that many times, keegan?! And Notah during all of it was like, I love keegans routine, he might take a long time to approach it, but when he does, no time is wasted.

His pre shot routine looks like someone who just hit a crack rock, but it works for him. Ide imagine being in the same group as him is miserable. I know I wouldn't want to watch that **** all day long.
haha yep, that was the shot I was watching too and notah really made me laugh.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 10:36 AM
If they simply enforced the rules already in place play would quicken substantially.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnBO
Against it. There are just too many places the ball ends up where a lot of extra thought is required. That being said, I do believe play is too slow on tour.

BO
This could be fixed with a simple time bank?

They already have markers following each group, wouldn't be much to ask for them to also keep a time bank for players.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 11:53 AM
Not to start the debate again but I found this interesting. Below are the course lengths for Augusta National since it was built.


2010: 7,435 yards (6,799 m)
2000: 6,985 yards (6,387 m)
1990: 6,905 yards (6,314 m)
1980: 7,040 yards (6,437 m)
1970: 6,980 yards (6,383 m)
1960: 6,980 yards (6,383 m)
1950: 6,900 yards (6,309 m)
1940: 6,800 yards (6,218 m)
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnBO
Against it. There are just too many places the ball ends up where a lot of extra thought is required. That being said, I do believe play is too slow on tour.

BO
Easy fix: you can call "extra time" on say 4 shots per round. In the case of a lost ball or drop situation the clock doesn't start until the ball is located. Maybe you get 3 minutes if a drop is required.

I don't think it would cause many problems if you make the times high enough. Just knowing that the clock exists would be enough to speed a lot of guys up.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schu_22
Easy fix: you can call "extra time" on say 4 shots per round. In the case of a lost ball or drop situation the clock doesn't start until the ball is located. Maybe you get 3 minutes if a drop is required.

I don't think it would cause many problems if you make the times high enough. Just knowing that the clock exists would be enough to speed a lot of guys up.
I like your thinking here, but I just don't ever see this happening. Golf is too rich in its history to make this drastic of a change. Its a methodical game in which each person deals with the situation differently. For example; Ricky takes virtually no time through his pre shot routine where as Keegan likes to think and visualize before each shot.

As long as they are done between 6 and 6:30, that's all that matters as far as pace goes. Its all about TV. I hate to say this, but if it wasn't for TV, rounds would take far longer.
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote
03-29-2013 , 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucksandgravs
I like your thinking here, but I just don't ever see this happening. Golf is too rich in its history to make this drastic of a change. Its a methodical game in which each person deals with the situation differently. For example; Ricky takes virtually no time through his pre shot routine where as Keegan likes to think and visualize before each shot.

As long as they are done between 6 and 6:30, that's all that matters as far as pace goes. Its all about TV. I hate to say this, but if it wasn't for TV, rounds would take far longer.
I think there is a decent chance we see something done about slow play at some point though. They did a segment 2 weeks ago? on slow play and the tour realizes it is an issue. Would be shocked if something wasnt done in the next 5 years
Official 2013 PGA Tour FEDEX CUP Discussion Thread Quote

      
m