Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #226
plat4me
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 49
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1aday View Post
I teach in Korea right now, and as such have a degree, CB check and also as a bonus have a TEFL.

I'm planning on leaving Korea after my contract is up, but have a hard time figuring out which place is best for me. I'm leaning towards either Taiwan or Vietnam.

How does Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam do for the following:

-Hours you 'work' (hours you just have to just be at work, desk warming)
-Hours you actually spend teaching
-Cost of rent for standard one bed, kitchen, bathroom joint
-Cost of local food that contains meat and vegetables (I enjoy all Asian cuisine, but noodles are too just carb loaded)
-Cost of local beer
-Pay per hour in privates / month in schools/private academies

Thank you!
You can check Dave's ESL Cafefor better information, I only taught for one year but

1. Only the hours you teach, prep time is up to you and mine went from one hour a lesson to 15 minutes per lesson. You can do that at home but its easier to do it at the school because of the resources.

2. I don't rent but my friends pay from $400 to $500 for a modest one bedroom in district #1 which is the most central district.

3. Vietnam might not be the place for you, there are a ton of noodles/noodle soups here. but pricing wise $1-2 street food, $2-5 in a restaurant. With $5 being kind of pricey.

4. Depends on where you are at, market less than .50 cents. backpackers district $1, most bars $1.50-2. Higher end bars $3-5. 5 star hotels I've seen up to $8.

5. I did the Celta so I'm not sure if you have the Tefl where you had to study for a month or the online course. If you have the online course I think your experience will be different, yes even with experience teaching.
Privates are $25-30, Monthly is dependent on how much you work but hourly started off for me at $17.50 and goes up every 6 months. Most of my friends are at $22 which is close to the max at their school which is a private language academy.
plat4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #227
1aday
journeyman
 
1aday's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1 time
Posts: 354
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat4me View Post
You can check Dave's ESL Cafefor better information, I only taught for one year but

1. Only the hours you teach, prep time is up to you and mine went from one hour a lesson to 15 minutes per lesson. You can do that at home but its easier to do it at the school because of the resources.

2. I don't rent but my friends pay from $400 to $500 for a modest one bedroom in district #1 which is the most central district.

3. Vietnam might not be the place for you, there are a ton of noodles/noodle soups here. but pricing wise $1-2 street food, $2-5 in a restaurant. With $5 being kind of pricey.

4. Depends on where you are at, market less than .50 cents. backpackers district $1, most bars $1.50-2. Higher end bars $3-5. 5 star hotels I've seen up to $8.

5. I did the Celta so I'm not sure if you have the Tefl where you had to study for a month or the online course. If you have the online course I think your experience will be different, yes even with experience teaching.
Privates are $25-30, Monthly is dependent on how much you work but hourly started off for me at $17.50 and goes up every 6 months. Most of my friends are at $22 which is close to the max at their school which is a private language academy.
Thanks for the answers. Exactly what I was looking for. I'd be looking to mostly do privates. How would I obtain a work visa ? Cheers
1aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #228
Jahgwar
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

hey guys, any live game organized in HCM? Im in Q2
Jahgwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #229
djle2
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,915
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Would anyone like to do a 500usd plus trade in Saigon? My PS money for cash [vnd or usd].
djle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #230
shea1000
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroosko View Post
stayed in a hotel called happy house. about $12 p/n and next to the beach. net good but buy yourself a back-up. costs 500k-1m ($25-$50) and potentially will save you hundreds. no need to top up the data as you usually get free data every month which is more than suffice as a back-up. back to nha trang; some decent bars and restaurant, weather mostly overcast and rains sometimes this time of year but if your lucky you will get breaks in the weather and it will be all good.

Flying in tomorow from philipphines, have not been able to find any info on line about a dongle/ backup w/e they call them. As leaving here tomorow never got more credit for my backup n paid the price yesterday. So will be needing one asap. Has anyone got any info on provider/ where to get one. I land in HCMC late and then have a transfer direct to Mui Ne.

ty
shea1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #231
xleex2
journeyman
 
xleex2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 288
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Whats the estimate cost per month? In terms of baller apartment partying food and girls?
xleex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #232
shea1000
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xleex2 View Post
Whats the estimate cost per month? In terms of baller apartment partying food and girls?
~ £3k plus for anywhere in asia imo. depends on quailty of all of the above. you dont really need baller appt tho and depends how hard and where you wanna party, top night clubs and girly bars will hurt the wallet. but food and beers local sprits are stupid cheap.

the hidden costs are visas/ flights/ water/ tourist traps/ scams if you dont know asia as well
shea1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #233
sl4v3
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 270
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea1000 View Post
Flying in tomorow from philipphines, have not been able to find any info on line about a dongle/ backup w/e they call them. As leaving here tomorow never got more credit for my backup n paid the price yesterday. So will be needing one asap. Has anyone got any info on provider/ where to get one. I land in HCMC late and then have a transfer direct to Mui Ne.

ty
I assume you're talking about a 3g USB stick. I think you can get them at probably any phone shop as well as probably in big electronics stores in D1. I was told Vietel is the best and that's what I have and I've been happy with it for the most part.
sl4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #234
shea1000
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4v3 View Post
I assume you're talking about a 3g USB stick. I think you can get them at probably any phone shop as well as probably in big electronics stores in D1. I was told Vietel is the best and that's what I have and I've been happy with it for the most part.
thanks, for the info any ideas on getting one in Mui Ne? or getting one shipped here ?

if anyone has one second hand and is leaving/does not need, i can swap stars $ or cash for one either in mui ne or one posted to me.

ty
shea1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #235
sl4v3
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 270
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea1000 View Post
thanks, for the info any ideas on getting one in Mui Ne? or getting one shipped here ?
ty
Just find a phone shop there. I think you'll find they have it. I know of other people that have bought them there.
sl4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #236
sinner
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,874
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

this thread needs pics
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #237
maxostoch
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,145
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Some pics will be nice..
maxostoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #238
Schiller-Music
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

i m living in ho chi minh city district 7 since close 2 years now. i m playing nl200-nl1000. anyone up for a meeting at t&r tavern bar in district 1? maybe we could meet there all together? if you are interested in becoming an english teacher in vietnam, thats a good place to go aswell. a lot of people there are english teachers.
Schiller-Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #239
Vucking Vish
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,018
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Had email today advertising a new service from London Gatwick to Bangkok flying with vietnam airlines. Obviously its the first first from the UK that goes direct to Vietnam too.

Here is a sample fight schedule in June.

Outbound Flight
LONDON Gatwick [LGW]
Terminal N
Fri 01 Jun 2012 at 13:10
HANOI Airport, VIETNAM [HAN]
Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 06:45
Arrives next day
VN 144 Cabin:
Duration:
Aircraft:
Meals: Economy
11 hours 35 mins
Boeing 777
Lunch
Connection of 2 hours 15 mins in HANOI Airport, VIETNAM [HAN]
HANOI Airport, VIETNAM [HAN]
Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 09:00
BANGKOK, THAILAND [BKK]
Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 10:50

VN 611 Cabin:
Duration:
Aircraft:
Meals: Economy
1 hour 50 mins
Airbus A321
Refreshments
Return Flight
BANGKOK, THAILAND [BKK]
Mon 11 Jun 2012 at 19:05
HANOI Airport, VIETNAM [HAN]
Mon 11 Jun 2012 at 20:55

VN 612 Cabin:
Duration:
Aircraft:
Meals: Economy
1 hour 50 mins
Airbus A321
Dinner
Connection of 4 hours 5 mins in HANOI Airport, VIETNAM [HAN]
HANOI Airport, VIETNAM [HAN]
Tue 12 Jun 2012 at 01:00
LONDON Gatwick [LGW]
Terminal N
Tue 12 Jun 2012 at 07:20

VN 145 Cabin:
Duration:
Aircraft:
Meals: Economy
12 hours 20 mins
Boeing 777
Dinner


The price is not bad at £422.86
Vucking Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #240
Ledders
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ledders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MAGYARORSZAG!!!
Posts: 6,466
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

It began at the start of this year I believe. A friend of mine used them and said it was perfectly fine so I would snap that price up if I were travelling right now.
Ledders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #241
expulse
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

I'm up for drinks if we can get some people out.
expulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #242
SheepSuit
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: sheep will rule
Posts: 1,182
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

hi guys - do you know any expats living in vietnam? are there any job opportunities for foreigners not in teaching?

I know it's not directly poker related.. but would appreciate any help
SheepSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #243
djle2
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,915
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

http://www.vietnamworks.com/en
djle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #244
scroosko
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: dancing on the street when ps dies
Posts: 1,177
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

nice one thanks vish. may well book this up for later in the year
scroosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #245
djle2
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,915
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Anyone who wants to do a trade for my PS money for cash, let me know. Small quantities accepted. Well meet somewhere in Saigon.
djle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #246
djle2
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,915
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

^ willing to eat 10% if someone does 500usd for the above post. So 500 PS for 450 usd or Vnd equivalent.
djle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #247
NicholasJ
veteran
 
NicholasJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ZEF SIDE
Posts: 2,724
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Here in Hanoi for two more days. Anyone in Hanoi care to show me their favorite dinner spot? Anything I absolutely have to check out?
NicholasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #248
Temujen
journeyman
 
Temujen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 302
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiller-Music View Post
i m living in ho chi minh city district 7 since close 2 years now. i m playing nl200-nl1000. anyone up for a meeting at t&r tavern bar in district 1? maybe we could meet there all together? if you are interested in becoming an english teacher in vietnam, thats a good place to go aswell. a lot of people there are english teachers.

What are the requirements for english teachers? Do I have to be bilenguel?
Temujen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #249
sl4v3
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 270
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujen View Post
What are the requirements for english teachers? Do I have to be bilenguel?
No. But they should probably know English - bilingual. ;-)
sl4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #250
djle2
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,915
Re: online pros living in Vietnam thread

A degree is the official only requirement.
No criminal record too but i doubt they really bother

advantages:
if your white
have a TESOL/TESL/TEFL Certificate

In actuality, no degree is really necessary.
djle2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online