Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #12526
Pronto
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 428
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Yeah that looks way better than the shocking 10% with $20 cap lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Pronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #12527
avonlady94
enthusiast
 
avonlady94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

I'll be arriving in Cambodia in around 2 weeks, do I need to get Riel or will I be fine with just US?
avonlady94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #12528
valuecutting
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 84
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

usd is accepted almost everywhere
valuecutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #12529
KnightShft
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 77
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

After 2 weeks in this country I feel the duty to give a psa... Don't come here unless youre chasing live cash. Thai/Phils 3x better for just about everything besides beer prices.

Last edited by KnightShft; 09-17-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Blatant overstating itt about how "awesome" this place is. Go to Thai/Phils
KnightShft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #12530
GentlemanJack
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 405
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShft View Post
After 2 weeks in this country I feel the duty to give a psa... Don't come here unless youre chasing live cash. Thai/Phils 3x better for just about everything besides beer prices.
Sounds like you're in a unique position to give a run-down on the three countries and that sounds like something I'd love to read. Care to expand more on your post?
GentlemanJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #12531
Yazzx
old hand
 
Yazzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cambodia
Posts: 1,882
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShft View Post
After 2 weeks in this country I feel the duty to give a psa... Don't come here unless youre chasing live cash. Thai/Phils 3x better for just about everything besides beer prices.
6am post feels like your posting this after a bad experience... I've barely spent any time in thailand and never been to Philippines.. please expand further if you can.. Thanks..

Met a new dutch guy tonight absolute legend obviously doing well and my god he knows how to party, took 4 girls home with him but had his phone stolen at one of the bars... I'm sure this will leave a sour taste in his mouth and will have bad things to say about his time in Cambodia He went home pretty angrily.. but I'm sure the 4 girls (1 lb) should be able to calm him a bit lol

Last edited by Yazzx; 09-17-2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: edit: i met u at sharkys... i was guy pussywhipped by gf had to goo home early lol
Yazzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM   #12532
MojoAG
journeyman
 
MojoAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 217
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShft View Post
After 2 weeks in this country I feel the duty to give a psa... Don't come here unless youre chasing live cash. Thai/Phils 3x better for just about everything besides beer prices.
So I'll see you Thursday for the party in Pattaya?
MojoAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM   #12533
stacicurtisbill
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 47
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazzx View Post
6am post feels like your posting this after a bad experience... I've barely spent any time in thailand and never been to Philippines.. please expand further if you can.. Thanks..

Met a new dutch guy tonight absolute legend obviously doing well and my god he knows how to party, took 4 girls home with him but had his phone stolen at one of the bars... I'm sure this will leave a sour taste in his mouth and will have bad things to say about his time in Cambodia He went home pretty angrily.. but I'm sure the 4 girls (1 lb) should be able to calm him a bit lol
over a year total between cebu city and phnom penh (here now)....ill post some generalities.... u can find good food , women , and lodging anywhere but heres my view.....1)lodging- phnompenh has better apartment/condo , hotel , value prices and easier to deal directly with owners to rent/buy . And the agents in philippines are beyond bad as a rule and avoid them 2 ) transportation - philippines much better (cebu) for 2 reasons . Jeepnies literally around 15cents . Over 100 cabs taken , all but one used the meter . Friendly too , cheaper (than tuc tucs) , and they know where your going and almost all have passable english . No price gouging and little bull**** like so many phnom penh tuctucs ...Uber/ect now does improve phnom penh ill add , but most still dealing with tuctucs still i think -- and if you like to walk philippines is better . More beggars , but mostly passive , and if your walking at a brisk pace they rarely ask you twice . I cant imagine a guy in phnom penh wearing a cast , old, disabled , ect trying to walk anywhere slow . He would be completely engulffed and surrounded by tuctucs in thirty seconds flat 3) Food -cambodia wins hands down ( especially western) . So many quality places you can just randomly walk into with all different kinds of options . Not bad portions for 3 to 5 bucks . Quality overall....philippines overall horrible . Little chance of decent value meal randomly that tastes ok and small portions . If u find a place /meal thats good , go there a lot . But it wont last forever , cuz constant turnover employees , not much effort , out of stock ( macdonals out of coffee , french fries , icecream , chicken , and pop once but they do deliver so thats good ) 4) women - philppines for wife or girlfriend , phnom penh for bars and party girls/hookers/less hassle short term . I will add foreigners get a much better reception the fartther u get away from riverside , ect . Still language barrier though .....There is a reason why the philippines produces so many miss universe winners , and why so many men that have visited never go back to other asian/white women . If " there is nothing more attractive than happiness ' then these women beat all other cultures hands down . They are very passionate and intense and bubbly . Always laughing and singing. Which if your 'playing the field' beware . They desparately want babies and support (and relative pressures for money ) and extremely jealous...... if your considering visiting philippines take a buddy with you . Its not like phnompnh where you can go barhopping lots of places on foot and roam around (except at malls in philippines there re many drink/restaurant places/low key ) and be around other foreigners which is kinda nice when its your first time . More spreadout in philippines for foreigner locations , many less sportsbar hangout places / gogobars/ect , and you can feel a little isolated much easier (i think) .But they truely are a gentle , social , very polite , and foreigner friendly culture . An absolute must visit place if your living in cambodia
stacicurtisbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM   #12534
KnightShft
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 77
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazzx View Post
6am post feels like your posting this after a bad experience... I've barely spent any time in thailand and never been to Philippines.. please expand further if you can.. Thanks..
Not a bad experience just another mediocre night.

It's hard to complain with out coming off as a spoiled brat but just giving my opinion compared to Thai/Phils. Maybe 2 weeks isnt enough to give a fair assessment but...

It's obviously less developed, dirtier, more poverty stricken, lacks street lights, and has a dark history. All things I knew before I arrived so I won't harp on about those cons too much.

- The level of english is definitely worse

- The girls are definitely less attractive. Even if you prefer small darker skinned girls, they dont take care of themselves. A lot of black/yellow/missing teeth, bad skin etc.

- Small sample size of 4 girls but the sex was bad with 3/4. Things like reluctantly blowing me and spitting into a towel the whole time. Would rather just not bring them back if they're not gonna enjoy themselves.

- This is gonna sound super douchy but, the attention you get as a young white guy in Cambo doesnt compare to Phils/Thai. I got used to being asked to take pics with random girls/gay dudes just walking around at the mall or at a restaurant etc. Get catcalled every 2 minutes in Thai/Phils and even the older people smile all the time.

- The bar scene is pretty withered in PP but even worse in Sihanoukville. Most of the hostess bars are pretty dead and I hate being the only customer in a bar with 8 girls surrounding me. Tough life I know but it is awkward.

I also dont like how the bars are in clusters. There's no way you can go home with a girl one night and then avoid her bar the next time you go out. I haven't even bar fined a girl and im having to deal with girls harassing me for going to this bar or talking to that girl etc. I've noticed most guys simply just dont care but it gets to me. I know the same could be said about Thai/Phils but it seems worse here.

The freelancer seen is pretty small in PP from what I can tell and almost non existent in Sihanoukville. I personally dont love gogos/girly bars etc for girls because there's no chase or much thrill in it.

I just prefer the hunt even if she ends up asking for $ in the morning it's generally more fun. If I do decide im gonna bar fine a girl she has to be hot which is much tougher to find in Cambo (see above)

Doesnt seem like picking up non working girls is much of an option either. As I mentioned they dont seem to like white guys nearly as much as Thai/Phils. Where as Thai/Phils it is pretty easy to bang non working girls. Almost comical how easy it is sometimes.

- Food here is pretty meh, Seems like some decent options in PP but Sihanoukville is pretty bad options wise. I could see why some people would prefer Cambodia for western food but for me most of the "restaurants" don't deserve to be called restaurants. More like seedy dive bars that also serve food. Also seems like a lot of restaurants close kindve early. I prefer Thailand and even Phils (Cebu is pretty bad) for western food. Thailand is the clear winner for local cuisine though.

- Walking around here is pretty sketchy at night. Even felt the need to stash my poker roll in my sock. Although this might be unwarranted because I haven't actually seen anything bad happen. Just seems sketchy overall.

Lastly, the backpackers. Need I say more?



Cost of living seems lower, cheap drinks, and rich Chinese fish are the only reason I'd recommend cambo to live long term.

Last edited by KnightShft; Yesterday at 08:12 AM. Reason: Well I guess it's all subjective because I disagree with most of what Staci just said haha
KnightShft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #12535
HUMBLE.
journeyman
 
HUMBLE.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: on my grind, cousin.
Posts: 285
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShft View Post
Things like reluctantly blowing me and spitting into a towel the whole time. Would rather just not bring them back if they're not gonna enjoy themselves.
that is both disheartening and hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShft View Post
I got used to being asked to take pics with random girls/gay dudes just walking around at the mall or at a restaurant etc. Get catcalled every 2 minutes in Thai/Phils and even the older people smile all the time.
i swear i've seen this on twilight zone...

Spoiler:

Last edited by HUMBLE.; Yesterday at 06:40 PM.
HUMBLE. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #12536
HUMBLE.
journeyman
 
HUMBLE.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: on my grind, cousin.
Posts: 285
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

as a guy who shares the perspective of a western tourist visiting asia, i understand all the comments.

not to boo hoo on the thread (b/c i enjoy the tales of debauchery), however

Spoiler:


aren't we missing the whole point of visiting another country, which is to have an immersive cultural experience?

reminds me of the military whenever they go to the middle east--they bring with them huge trailers and generators along with name brand corporations--mcdonalds, tacobell, starbucks, etc to service the troops.

which is great, b/c who doesn't love air conditioning and iced coffee in the desert?

but when you go to another country, we inexorably bring with us our own exaggerated expectations of comfort and very humanely seek out to restore our daily routines.


i used to work with a guy who rode in his truck and never once turned the air conditioning on.
i asked him, "hey, D, why don't you turn the A/C on once in awhile, eh?"

he replied, "b/c it's hot outside, and if you get in the car and have the A/C on, you will get used to it. But when you inevitably have to get outside and have to work, your body will not be used to the heat."

so I got used to the heat.

Last edited by HUMBLE.; Yesterday at 06:42 PM.
HUMBLE. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #12537
KnightShft
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 77
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBLE. View Post

so I got used to the heat.
My whole point is there are better options that are very easily accessible and similar expense wise. So why stay in the hot truck?

I don't mean to bash the country or the people, I'm just simply saying I personally prefer Thai/Phils for the lifestyle I strive for. If my options were N.A or Cambodia I'd prob just get used to the heat.
KnightShft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #12538
poker_triad
old hand
 
poker_triad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Posts: 1,447
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShft View Post
Not a bad experience just another mediocre night.

It's hard to complain with out coming off as a spoiled brat but just giving my opinion compared to Thai/Phils. Maybe 2 weeks isnt enough to give a fair assessment but...

It's obviously less developed, dirtier, more poverty stricken, lacks street lights, and has a dark history. All things I knew before I arrived so I won't harp on about those cons too much.

- The level of english is definitely worse

- The girls are definitely less attractive. Even if you prefer small darker skinned girls, they dont take care of themselves. A lot of black/yellow/missing teeth, bad skin etc.

- Small sample size of 4 girls but the sex was bad with 3/4. Things like reluctantly blowing me and spitting into a towel the whole time. Would rather just not bring them back if they're not gonna enjoy themselves.

- This is gonna sound super douchy but, the attention you get as a young white guy in Cambo doesnt compare to Phils/Thai. I got used to being asked to take pics with random girls/gay dudes just walking around at the mall or at a restaurant etc. Get catcalled every 2 minutes in Thai/Phils and even the older people smile all the time.

- The bar scene is pretty withered in PP but even worse in Sihanoukville. Most of the hostess bars are pretty dead and I hate being the only customer in a bar with 8 girls surrounding me. Tough life I know but it is awkward.

I also dont like how the bars are in clusters. There's no way you can go home with a girl one night and then avoid her bar the next time you go out. I haven't even bar fined a girl and im having to deal with girls harassing me for going to this bar or talking to that girl etc. I've noticed most guys simply just dont care but it gets to me. I know the same could be said about Thai/Phils but it seems worse here.

The freelancer seen is pretty small in PP from what I can tell and almost non existent in Sihanoukville. I personally dont love gogos/girly bars etc for girls because there's no chase or much thrill in it.

I just prefer the hunt even if she ends up asking for $ in the morning it's generally more fun. If I do decide im gonna bar fine a girl she has to be hot which is much tougher to find in Cambo (see above)

Doesnt seem like picking up non working girls is much of an option either. As I mentioned they dont seem to like white guys nearly as much as Thai/Phils. Where as Thai/Phils it is pretty easy to bang non working girls. Almost comical how easy it is sometimes.

- Food here is pretty meh, Seems like some decent options in PP but Sihanoukville is pretty bad options wise. I could see why some people would prefer Cambodia for western food but for me most of the "restaurants" don't deserve to be called restaurants. More like seedy dive bars that also serve food. Also seems like a lot of restaurants close kindve early. I prefer Thailand and even Phils (Cebu is pretty bad) for western food. Thailand is the clear winner for local cuisine though.

- Walking around here is pretty sketchy at night. Even felt the need to stash my poker roll in my sock. Although this might be unwarranted because I haven't actually seen anything bad happen. Just seems sketchy overall.

Lastly, the backpackers. Need I say more?



Cost of living seems lower, cheap drinks, and rich Chinese fish are the only reason I'd recommend cambo to live long term.
By all accounts the English is worse here so no argument there. But this reminds me of a friend of mine during college who took a trip to Japan and complained that none of the signs were in English. We forget that it is a foreign country and while other places may speak English better, it seems odd to me still that this should be a chief complaint. I came here for that which is different and an unfamiliar language being spoken seems a big part of that.

Regarding the girls, yeah some of them spit into a towel but I've also had girls here who will more than gladly toss my salad and do just about everything else. And I've been part of three and four ways that would put anything I ever did in the States to shame.

The food thing is merely an issue of sample size as the Western food scene here is nothing short of great. Almost everyone I know who has stayed here long term has gained weight.

I've never had anything happen to me in terms of violent crimes in over three years and very few people I know have had any such experience.

And at the end of the day this is a poker forum and it's presence here looms large over all other issues.

I agree with you on the backpackers though.


Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk
poker_triad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:04 PM   #12539
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,784
Re: Living in Cambodia and turning Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShft View Post
After 2 weeks in this country I feel the duty to give a psa... Don't come here unless youre chasing live cash. Thai/Phils 3x better for just about everything besides beer prices.
LonelyBox is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online