Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #1576
ofdabeat
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: friggin bangkok baby
Posts: 738
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Is there a section of Bangkok with a lot of middle eastern or Indian people? I need to buy some self-lighting charcoals for my hookah and this seems like the logical place to do it.

I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about Bangkok. I'll reevaluate the city when I:
1. Have more money
2. Actually can access to the money I have.
I'm starting to realize that I really need to work on my Thai if I want to live here. In Patong and Vientiane I was fine using English and maybe 30 Thai words/phrases that I could mix in. I mean, I know how say "no sadism" but I need to know how to say "turn left" or "wtf is this food you're selling."

I really liked Vientiane and I'm considering going back there to stay for at least a few months. I've done some research and quality internet access is available but it doesn't come cheaply. It could be around the same price as my rent depending on where I live and how fast and reliable I want my connection to be. Lol, the best plan is a dedicated 512k wireless connection for US $5k/month.

When I was picking my sister up at the airport, the thought occurred to me that if you were really broke, you could just live there for free and support yourself by playing poker on the free wifi. Your only expense would be food but sleeping well would obviously be a problem. Prop bet anyone?
Lao girls can really mess with your head i guess

Soi 3 suk there are loads of indian/middle eastern places it's bts nana.
ofdabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #1577
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Here's an MS Paint of my current thoughts:

WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #1578
ofdabeat
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: friggin bangkok baby
Posts: 738
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Just go where you are happy man.
Bangkok is nice in fact you just have to make a few more bucks to discover it.
Why not trying a month or two in issan ( udon thani or another city ) it's very nice. And you will learn to eat spicy there guaranteed.
ofdabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #1579
GTL
veteran
 
GTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,330
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Is there a section of Bangkok with a lot of middle eastern or Indian people? I need to buy some self-lighting charcoals for my hookah and this seems like the logical place to do it.

I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about Bangkok. I'll reevaluate the city when I:
1. Have more money
2. Actually can access to the money I have.
I'm starting to realize that I really need to work on my Thai if I want to live here. In Patong and Vientiane I was fine using English and maybe 30 Thai words/phrases that I could mix in. I mean, I know how say "no sadism" but I need to know how to say "turn left" or "wtf is this food you're selling."

I really liked Vientiane and I'm considering going back there to stay for at least a few months. I've done some research and quality internet access is available but it doesn't come cheaply. It could be around the same price as my rent depending on where I live and how fast and reliable I want my connection to be. Lol, the best plan is a dedicated 512k wireless connection for US $5k/month.

When I was picking my sister up at the airport, the thought occurred to me that if you were really broke, you could just live there for free and support yourself by playing poker on the free wifi. Your only expense would be food but sleeping well would obviously be a problem. Prop bet anyone?
i really suggest the non-self lighting coals for a hookah. obviously, if you don't have access to a gas burner or other way to start the coals you have to get the self lighting. make sure you let it burn hot for a little while before using it. you don't want to inhale the self lighting chemicals.
GTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #1580
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Have you considered the "WhoIam Bigelow-Bangkok Gigilo" option?

Perhaps you need to score a ruay, bored, 40ish Thai sugermama...
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #1581
ofdabeat
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: friggin bangkok baby
Posts: 738
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Have you considered the "WhoIam Bigelow-Bangkok Gigilo" option?

Perhaps you need to score a ruay, bored, 40ish Thai sugermama...
Funny cause we actually talked about becoming gigolos yesterday night with whoiam but ssshhhh...

ofdabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:53 AM   #1582
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

This would probably work because older Asian women love me By this I mean older than me (27-33) but I imagine the middle-aged ones would as well. We actually were talking about this the other night. "Bangkok Gigolo" would be a great undertitle.
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #1583
DMACM
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,917
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Hey all,
This was a fascinating thread. Really makes you want to visit Thiland. My law school has a bridge course with a two-week residence in Chiangmai, Thailand. I'm really considering going after reading this. I just hope two weeks with classes would leave me time to meet some local people and see some sites. Hope this hasn't been covered but how is Chiangmi?
DMACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #1584
KJS
Pooh-Bah
 
KJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: xray.fm/strikeofdeath
Posts: 4,965
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Hey all,
This was a fascinating thread. Really makes you want to visit Thiland. My law school has a bridge course with a two-week residence in Chiangmai, Thailand. I'm really considering going after reading this. I just hope two weeks with classes would leave me time to meet some local people and see some sites. Hope this hasn't been covered but how is Chiangmi?
Lived there for 18 months in 2002-2004. I really liked it. It is not huge like BKK; maybe 200K in the area. Very manageable size, easy to get around. Plenty of ex-pats there and a clearly defined tourist zone where you can easily get by without any Thai language. The best parts are outside of that though.

PM or add specific questions you might have. I can recommend a guesthouse if you do go.

KJS
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #1585
Schmitty 87
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: awaiting self-ban
Posts: 1,823
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

KJS:

I'm hopefully going to Chiang Mai tonight. In Bangkok right now. What guest house? Also, for people who have been there more recently, who is giving the best jungle treks nowadays? Also where is the train station in Chiang Mai?

Basic Thai question also: In my book it says that "a" is pronounced like the "u" in "run." So that means that farang is pronounced furung ya? wat=wut(like what)? I need the basic pointers because I'd feel really embarassed if I mispronounced hello or thank you or something like that.
Schmitty 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #1586
KJS
Pooh-Bah
 
KJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: xray.fm/strikeofdeath
Posts: 4,965
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Go Here

You are not correct about those pronunciations. Ask a Thai how to say those words and it will help.

KJS
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:34 AM   #1587
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

There's no standard system for converting Thai into the western alphabet. As a result, you'll see the same thing spelled in different ways, even something as common as Khao San Rd. I have a similar book and as KJS pointed out, you really need to hear a Thai person say the phrase. Even if you get the sounds right, you won't be understood because the tones and general flow of the words would be wrong. http://www.learningthai.com/ will show you how to pronounce all the basic stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with all these 1 baht coins I keep accumulating? I'd like to give them to a soup kitchen or something provided they have a collection box. I feel like walking in somewhere and handing them a bag of coins would be a dick move.
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #1588
ofdabeat
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: friggin bangkok baby
Posts: 738
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
There's no standard system for converting Thai into the western alphabet. As a result, you'll see the same thing spelled in different ways, even something as common as Khao San Rd. I have a similar book and as KJS pointed out, you really need to hear a Thai person say the phrase. Even if you get the sounds right, you won't be understood because the tones and general flow of the words would be wrong. http://www.learningthai.com/ will show you how to pronounce all the basic stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with all these 1 baht coins I keep accumulating? I'd like to give them to a soup kitchen or something provided they have a collection box. I feel like walking in somewhere and handing them a bag of coins would be a dick move.
If you have enough you can make a cool looking medieval armor.
ofdabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #1589
Schmitty 87
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: awaiting self-ban
Posts: 1,823
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Well I for sure just got ripped off for a taxi and now I'm paying 20 baht for 5 minutes of internet access just to tell 2+2 about it. I was going from Khaosan Rd to Hualamphong Station. I heard it was a 30 min drive (like airport to Khaoson), so when the guy quoted me 300 baht and he was in a metered taxi I figured whatever I'll not make the trouble 30 min ride would be close to 300 baht. So I'm riding and all is good and then he stops. I'm like wtf but alas it's hualampong. Probably got fleeced for $8US or so. time running out bye
Schmitty 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #1590
CanIPlayII
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 317
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Banking Question: Do the ATM cards the banks issue, work in the United States? Can you send Western Union or MoneyGram back to US?
CanIPlayII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #1591
farang0
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 629
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

KSR to Hualampong has never cost me more then 40 baht. Maybe 50 baht if there is a little traffic.

Obviously if he is quoting you a price instead of using the meter then he is ALWAYS ripping you off.

Also, someone mentioned that they needed hookah coal, Suk. soi 3 and 5 are where all the indians hang out and they sell that crap in the back of the sois.
farang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #1592
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Banking Question: Do the ATM cards the banks issue, work in the United States? Can you send Western Union or MoneyGram back to US?
ALmost every ATM machine I've seen in Thailand has the like 15 different logos of types of cards that work so I'd tentatively say, Yes. My gf's ATM card (issued from Bangkok Bank has the PLus/Cirrus/etc stuff on it)

I have also seen several Western Union Outlets over here (not sure bout moneygram).
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #1593
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

I sent money to Stars via Western Union but the rake was ridiculous. Not worth it unless there's an emergency.
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #1594
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Update plz boyz!

Are WhoIam and OfdaBeat official Male Prositute Pimps in BKK yet?

Has ofDaBeat shagged the volleyball team yet?
I'm pulling out of my personal Asian financial crisis and am going back to Laos on the 11th. No prostitution, but I did briefly consider teaching English before my luck turned around. Do you still have those firecrackers? This would be a good day to use them. Because today...is the day...we celebrate...our independence!
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #1595
iwantbooze
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 203
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

bit of a bump

currently in BKK for 2 months, was wondering a good place to buy high quality fake watches?

I have a friend who got a great one from china, and I had a look around silom and mbk but the watches don't look *really* good.

Any suggestions? :-)
iwantbooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #1596
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
bit of a bump

currently in BKK for 2 months, was wondering a good place to buy high quality fake watches?

I have a friend who got a great one from china, and I had a look around silom and mbk but the watches don't look *really* good.

Any suggestions? :-)
That's funny, ofdabeat and I were just talking about this today. He knows of some places in China but nothing here. I assume you mean watches in the several hundred dollar range, right?
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #1597
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Shameless addition/promotion of friends place in Patong.

Patong Hotel

If anyone is visiting Patong, this place is close to the beach and nightlife and I can get you a decent disoucnt on their advertised rates.

(Owner is woman who spent a week with my gf at the temple and pretty nice/straightforward)
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #1598
iwantbooze
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 203
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

whoiam: yeah, most of the ones i've seen are in the 2,000B range and are ok. As I see it though, a fake watch that only looks ok is a waste of time :-/
iwantbooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #1599
PilotMatt
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 236
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Why is Bangkok abbreviated BKK instead of BK? Or am I missing something?
Its their airport code (just like lga or jfk)
PilotMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #1600
xxThe_Lebowskixx
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indeed.
Posts: 6,512
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

r u guys speaking broken english or with a thai accent yet?
xxThe_Lebowskixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive