Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #11751
kap arai
adept
 
kap arai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 888
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

moram
kap arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #11752
azan
banned
 
azan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: travelling the world
Posts: 821
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag View Post
1st Recco: KataBeachstudio

cooking facility in room and rooftop pool

2nd recco: aloharesidence

no cooking in room and rooftop jacuzzi


Both have in room free wifi


KBS is more expensive but BOTH will be <20K/month after1 APR
how long would you think is too long to stay somewhere like this? 2 months? Plan on grinding some, seeing some of the islands, some other beaches, partying, maybe jungle trekking. then lots of sport and fitness sporadically throughout the stay...

Also do you know if these kind of places would be much more/less around January please?
azan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #11753
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azan View Post
how long would you think is too long to stay somewhere like this? 2 months? Plan on grinding some, seeing some of the islands, some other beaches, partying, maybe jungle trekking. then lots of sport and fitness sporadically throughout the stay...

Also do you know if these kind of places would be much more/less around January please?
January is high season here (the time around new year's being the peak season) so that place will be the most full and the most expensive around that time
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #11754
kmac0522
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 221
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

so got some questions

how much are you paying in rent a month for your place each

and about withdrawing options

when you first wanna withrdraw you need to send in your id and proof of address or what ever

so how do you get your checks mailed to you?
kmac0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #11755
wat.
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 864
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

what are living expenses in Udon Thani compared to CM, about the same? thinking about spending some time there whenever i decide to go back to thailand. obv wouldn't be going there looking for any nightlife, just to relax and maybe see a little more of the issan side of thailand.
wat. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #11756
frankpark9
adept
 
frankpark9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ionlyflyfirstclass.com
Posts: 1,031
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

what do you guys think of karenbeachstudio? its looks about the same as katabeach studio but cheaper and its right by the beach too
frankpark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #11757
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpark9 View Post
what do you guys think of karenbeachstudio? its looks about the same as katabeach studio but cheaper and its right by the beach too
Please provide a link for this place. I can't locate it on google.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #11758
OrganicGreen
old hand
 
OrganicGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 1,463
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

how many online poker players are there in thailand.. or have traveled to thailand..
OrganicGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #11759
DoubleOh
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 156
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

i'm guessing this is the place he's talking about.

http://www.karonstudio.com/

i believe it's owned by the same people. could be wrong.
DoubleOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #11760
dannyr
adept
 
dannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 734
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleOh View Post
i'm guessing this is the place he's talking about.

http://www.karonstudio.com/

i believe it's owned by the same people. could be wrong.
yea i always drove past that place, its right on patak road, not closer to beach.
think katabeach studio is nicer
dannyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #11761
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr View Post
yea i always drove past that place, its right on patak road, not closer to beach.
think katabeach studio is nicer
What he said.

From the website it looks like it's same owner/contractor.

It's on Patak Rd so deffo no closer to beach. At the same time still close to the 2p2 community hub.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:32 AM   #11762
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicGreen View Post
how many online poker players are there in thailand.. or have traveled to thailand..
There is no hard irm #.

Current levels imo:

Phuket: >20 just in our group of friends. There is also at least a French crew and a Danish Crew.

BKK: >50 + a bunch of players who the 2p2s havent met or don't interact with

Chiang Mai: >15

These nubers are low and consevrative.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #11763
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac0522 View Post
so got some questions

how much are you paying in rent a month for your place each

and about withdrawing options

when you first wanna withrdraw you need to send in your id and proof of address or what ever

so how do you get your checks mailed to you?
from what i know ppl are paying anything from ~10k to ~100k a month per house. you can pretty much find what you want.

i assume you are american since you are talking about checks. if not, there are other ways to get money

i can't help with the withdrawal options if you are an american

one point i want to make is that you dont have to change your poker sites details to your thai ones. you can just use your home country's address etc

so there is no need to send proof of address etc
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #11764
Stickit69r
journeyman
 
Stickit69r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 236
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

hey - i am in chiang mai with my family (sister, bro in law, mom and dad) they booked a driver for tomorrow to take us sightseeing/tour-elephants, hilltribe, doi suthep - any other suggestions/must see or do here?

will also take recs for food -reasonable prices and nightlife recs.

Anyone know when they will stop burning the crops up here so the smog isn't so bad?
Stickit69r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #11765
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickit69r View Post
hey - i am in chiang mai with my family (sister, bro in law, mom and dad) they booked a driver for tomorrow to take us sightseeing/tour-elephants, hilltribe, doi suthep - any other suggestions/must see or do here?

will also take recs for food -reasonable prices and nightlife recs.

Anyone know when they will stop burning the crops up here so the smog isn't so bad?
Check out Doi Pui mountain village at the top of doi suthep and also Phuping Palace, my parents really enjoyed that.

also tiger Kingdom is really good, that's on the way to the elephant camp I think.

For food you should take them to The Riverside before 7.30pm and you can get a seat on their boat that takes you up and down the river for a couple of hours whilst you eat. it's like 70baht per person or something. get there early to get a seat though.

Another nice place to take the family is the Whole Earth restaurant, really close to the night bazaar. It's Thai/Indian fusion and the setting is really nice. It's slight more pricey than standard places though.


Think the smokes gonna be here for at least another month
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 AM   #11766
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

There's literally hundreds of awesome places to eat in CM though, if you want more specifics depending on where you are and what food you want to eat then let me know and I'll try suggest some nice places
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #11767
fourkingbs
grinder
 
fourkingbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phuket
Posts: 673
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Thailand/phuket/kata beach is awesome been before but first time alone (without GF) having a great time. If you have been thinking about coming Its totally worth it, Has lived up to all expectations derived from this thread. TY

Small TR on aloha residence(Kata beach): place is clean and new, havent seen any ants which is amazing for asia. Theres a cleaning lady walking around all day. bed is firm and comfortable. Confirmed 1K baht/night when calling and walkin, weekly rate idea was rejected. Spa upstairs wasnt clean and Internet is unusable, There is a Net cafe 50meters away 60 baht/hr

Does anyone get stung by invisible/non existent jelly fish? Maybe something else in the water?

Last edited by fourkingbs; 03-19-2010 at 07:51 AM.
fourkingbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #11768
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

haha yeh I have no idea what that 'stinging' feeling is when you are in the Ocean in Phuket, but I definitely felt it most times I went swimming. Does anyone know what it is?
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #11769
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyironThumb View Post
haha yeh I have no idea what that 'stinging' feeling is when you are in the Ocean in Phuket, but I definitely felt it most times I went swimming. Does anyone know what it is?
I have never felt this. perhaps the U.S. government has put some chemical in the Andaman sea that burns all non-americans? seems to be the most likely explanation.
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #11770
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

lol rudy

seems it is these things..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lice


Quote:
They're so-called "sea lice" (not exactly like in Cat. Bob's Wikipedia link) almost microscopic larvae of jellyfish and sea anemones which cause a burning or stinging sensation. This is annoying, but not dangerous. Very common on Andaman Sea beaches and seem to wax and wane with the seasons. If you have a reaction lasting longer after you get out of the water, put vinegar on it.
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #11771
rubbrband
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rubbrband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: R VA
Posts: 10,447
Lightbulb Re: Ask us about Thailand!

just get a massage girl to pee on it
rubbrband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #11772
thorleif
veteran
 
thorleif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: thorrr
Posts: 2,427
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
I have never felt this. perhaps the U.S. government has put some chemical in the Andaman sea that burns all non-americans? seems to be the most likely explanation.
i experienced the stinging but teh gf never did. pretty sure she thought i was crazy but actually glad she didn't feel it cuz she prob wouldn't go back to the beach again if she did
thorleif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #11773
kzk
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 822
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

a friend was talking about the full moon party..anyone here already been there?

how good it is?

when is the best date to go to tailand, specially to this partys?

how xpensive is it there?

tnx.
kzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #11774
kmac0522
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 221
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
from what i know ppl are paying anything from ~10k to ~100k a month per house. you can pretty much find what you want.

i assume you are american since you are talking about checks. if not, there are other ways to get money

i can't help with the withdrawal options if you are an american

one point i want to make is that you dont have to change your poker sites details to your thai ones. you can just use your home country's address etc

so there is no need to send proof of address etc
okay yes i am american and my withdrwal method is through check so idk

i guess have my family cash it and put in my bank account?
kmac0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #11775
st0rkK
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 81
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

anyone know of a visa service that does multiple entry tourist visas?

visaHQ only does single entry visas (up to 90 days), is this what everyone else gets?
st0rkK is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive