Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Ask us about Thailand! Ask us about Thailand!

03-04-2010 , 11:30 PM
happened to me in southamerica, i just got a temporary passport from the embassy in 2 days to be able to leave the country
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raze
Not me dude.. clearly it's stupid. Any other course of action besides visiting the embassy?
Pray that the immigration officer won't notice again...
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras
Pray that the immigration officer won't notice again...
they might notice as well at the check in (in my case air france did and didnt let me board)
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 02:42 AM
I lost my passport when in the US on holiday and the Australian embassy had a replacement one for me in 12 hours. It's only valid for a year.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinal
Does anyone living here like Formula One enough to consider going to the Malaysian GP next month.. April 3,4,5. I went to the Singapore night race last September..and it was great!! It was the first time I've seen F1, and I'm hooked.

I've considering it vs. paying the 1900baht for visa extension or I need to do that by April 11th. Just a thought.. anyone?
dude i was planning a few day trip to malaysia for visa around that time, is this in kl? sounds awesome id probably be down for this
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSpiv
The thing is the aircards are much more stable for internet than 3g phones are. When your income relies on a stable internet connection it's worth it. After all you only have to disconnect once with money on the table for that $300 to pay for itself.

Where can I buy aircard in Samui (lamai)?

Or can I get one in Bangkok beforehand?
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 07:15 AM
What other good Samui hotel recommendations you have for Samui? (the Ampai mentioned here is full)

If I can't find a hotel with a good connection, is aircard or 3g connection a reasonable option for online p0k3rs?
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxpunk
dude i was planning a few day trip to malaysia for visa around that time, is this in kl? sounds awesome id probably be down for this
Yes..I'm not 100% sure..but looking at it seriously. Singapore GP last September was awesome..


The music is not as good as Bahrain, but it's one of the cheaper GP's on the circuit
here's a link http://www.malaysiangp.com.my/node/1/4
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 09:41 AM
And the last time you visited the ATM...

Has anyone taken notice the trend of the Baht gaining on the $/pound/Euro lately... each day sets a new 6 month high... thoughts on hedging against this? IMO It's not going to change by chance, this trend has no reason to turn around.. anyone's perspective on this?

Last edited by sabinal; 03-05-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinal
And the last time you visited the ATM...

Has anyone taken notice the trend of the Baht gaining on the $/pound/Euro lately... each day sets a new 6 month high... thoughts on hedging against this? IMO It's not going to change by chance, this trend has no reason to turn around.. anyone's perspective on this?
Baht will probably fall if/when there's political unrest and when a certain major event happens. I'd expect both of these this year.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 12:30 PM
whats the best way to do visa run from chiang mai? fast and cheap, preferably flights kap
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 07:03 PM
It's probably because of the Eurozone problem with Greece.

It is easy to hedge if you want, just open a trading account

Keep in mind that by definition, hedging means that you neither make money nor lose money - you just maintain your portfolio value in exchange for a set price of hedge mechanism like futures.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinal
And the last time you visited the ATM...

Has anyone taken notice the trend of the Baht gaining on the $/pound/Euro lately... each day sets a new 6 month high... thoughts on hedging against this? IMO It's not going to change by chance, this trend has no reason to turn around.. anyone's perspective on this?

i checked exchange rates yesterday and noticed how strong the bht was. 49 something vs the . 4 months ago when i was in Thailand it was 55, i remember coming to thailand when i was 18 7 years ago and the bht traded at 80 something vs . luckily all my money is in ozzy $ atm which strong.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 08:42 PM
What's a good site for booking cheap flights? Sorry i'm a noob and it's prob been asked a lot. Was recommended kayak.com, is that good?
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkstevie
What's a good site for booking cheap flights? Sorry i'm a noob and it's prob been asked a lot. Was recommended kayak.com, is that good?
Hei.

Kayak is pretty decent site. I bought from there tickets to Hong Kong, and they find pretty much best prices in internet.. i guess.

But here is one site i hav been using. Good prices to imo.
orbitz.com

And one more. From there i got like 2x lower price to Bangkok than cheapest next price i found in internet.
estravel.symphony.cz/
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-05-2010 , 09:13 PM
it's just been the euro. the dollar has been pretty steady vs the THB the last few months.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 01:23 AM
First of all...Thailand is ****ing awesome. I've constantly been asking, "what is soooo great about Thailand?" as I have heard from multiple sources that it is the best place on Earth.

Well, I can break it down like this, its very simple: 1) The weather is amazing (if you like heat). 2) Its cheap as ****. You can survive very well with $20 per day including all meals, decent hotels, some shopping, drinking etc. 3) There are people from all over the world and I mean everywhere. Everyone is here on chill and vacation mode.4) The service is great. The Thai people just do it right. They don't give you that "**** you you ****in tourist" vibe at all. 5) WOMEN - EVERYWHERE. Thai, Pinay, Euros, Euro trash, Americans, American trash, Indians, Canadians, Africans, Asians, Brazilians...its sick. 6) Food is fantastic. We had frsh fruit for breakfast, chicken pad tay for lunch and Hamburgers for dinner. Mixed in a couple of iced coffees, Some big Chang beers, Nutella and banana crepes, and chicken skewers. Sick food life. I've only been in BKK for 4 days but it has been great so far and I cant wait to get south and to the islands and beach.

So..the help I need: Lets say you were in BKK for 48 hours and recruited 3 females to accompany you and 2 of your Euro friends to dinner and a club. Where would you take them? Any advice would be great.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 555kap555
whats the best way to do visa run from chiang mai? fast and cheap, preferably flights kap
just take the bus to the mai sai and cross the border that way
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdell408
Euros, Euro trash, Americans, American trash,
i have no idea what this means.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 09:05 AM
555
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldEqu1ty
Definitely DON'T take them imo. The incidence of "moderate" side effects like high sun-sensitivity and nausea approaches 100%, there's quite a high rate of severe reactions also like 3%. Honestly talk to some army guys that have had them and you'll get the idea, it's not fun. When in a rural area just lather on a very good insect repellant really often. Also imho I would avoid DEET and use a Picaradin-based product, the highest concentration you can find. Similar effectiveness but again without the side effects.

EDIT: To my knowledge it's kind of rare for westerners to die of malaria if they catch it because of the medical attention we receive, which is another reason not to.

Secondly, with anything like this do your own research it's your responsibilty at the end of the day. I put a couple of hours into researrching it online, and my conclusion was a very, very clear DO NOT take them, however I cant remember the specific stats and studies haha so if you're anal you'll need to look again.
That's great information! Tx!
I'll be in Chiang Mai from March 17th on and I'm really excited!
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTLITZ
Hei.

Kayak is pretty decent site. I bought from there tickets to Hong Kong, and they find pretty much best prices in internet.. i guess.

But here is one site i hav been using. Good prices to imo.
orbitz.com

And one more. From there i got like 2x lower price to Bangkok than cheapest next price i found in internet.
estravel.symphony.cz/
If you search through Kayak often you will get a lower price than going to orbitz directly. Kayak searches throuch cheaptickets and a couple other sites that are usually cheaper than orbitz but orbitz has there price match policy. Although sometimes you can click on the cheaptickets link and get an even lower fare than the one kayak finds.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 09:43 AM
Would appreciate if someone could help me with this issue:

I have no driving license to show, not even anything that looks like a international driving license and I know from living in Phuket some years ago that there are quite a few police stops there.

I will probably live in Phuket town and would like to know where the police stops are when going to the nearby cities like Kata, Karon, Patong etc. I would also like to know to what cities I can go from Phuket town without passing this police stops if taking a "speciell" road.

I would also like to know if they also stop cars at this stops or if they focus on motorbikes only.

Thanks!

P.S How much should a tuc tuc from airport to Phuket town cost? I have alot of baggage and will go with a tuc tuc instead of a taxi if possible.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 10:02 AM
He guys last night in Phuket tonight im bored

id like to meet some poker players here maybie?

Im a fun guy, on holiday/tournament circuit in asia right now. Usually i live in Europe in a poker appartement with some poker-friends in Malta! I'd like to meet some people from here!

PM me phone NR and we can have some beers

im living between Patong and Karon on the hill but have a car to get around

Cheers

Last edited by Beyn; 03-06-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Ask us about Thailand! Quote
03-06-2010 , 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.t
Would appreciate if someone could help me with this issue:

I have no driving license to show, not even anything that looks like a international driving license and I know from living in Phuket some years ago that there are quite a few police stops there.

I will probably live in Phuket town and would like to know where the police stops are when going to the nearby cities like Kata, Karon, Patong etc. I would also like to know to what cities I can go from Phuket town without passing this police stops if taking a "speciell" road.

I would also like to know if they also stop cars at this stops or if they focus on motorbikes only.

Thanks!

P.S How much should a tuc tuc from airport to Phuket town cost? I have alot of baggage and will go with a tuc tuc instead of a taxi if possible.
go make a thai driver's license in phuket town if that worries you so much. takes one day

my trip report from doing that: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...postcount=9072

also there are no tuktuk's in the airport. it's like 40km to phuket town from there so that would suck in a tuktuk. they have minivans that will carry much more stuff than a tuktuk anyway
Ask us about Thailand! Quote

      
m