Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #11301
OGS20
journeyman
 
OGS20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Interzone
Posts: 206
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I'm getting into Bangkok around the 14th/15th of March and will be looking to find somewhere in Phuket for 3 months. Are any other people getting in around this time or does anyone know of any spare rooms going?

Thanks
OGS20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #11302
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

wow nice post ron.

nick has some adding to do to the sticky
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #11303
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.t View Post
3 best restaurants
I tried wine connection the first time this valentine's day and loved it. they have good pizza, thai food and western food and the prices are not as spoiled as in some of these type of restaurants AND they had the best riesling wine i've tasted so far (thanks to the bender family again for recommending that )

obv they have a lot of different wines, deli, dessert cakes etc and bread

they've got 4 stores in phuket

locations here: http://www.wineconnection.co.th/our-store.php?id=2
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #11304
Malifous
grinder
 
Malifous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nitville
Posts: 595
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

If some one wants to go drinking/pool give me a call 0847447571. Only few nights in bangkok so would be great. Im on sukhumvit 18 soi 11
Malifous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #11305
sabinal
centurion
 
sabinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 144
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Does anyone eat Durian/Mangosteen/Lychee or any of the other great SEA fruits? Mangosteens in US are $45+/pound if you can find them..

Anyone use the saunas in Phuket on a regular? When I was down there I went to a good one in Nai Harn for 50baht a visit.. that I would recommend.

I came to Thailand for the healthy environment, would like to hear anyone's feedback on their experiences here.. health retreats visited, etc..anyone partaken?

And was the dog given back to his owner in Phuket yet??
sabinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #11306
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsflopper View Post
lon should get into the tourguide/bodyguard/translator biz
Hmmmmm.

Maybe I should start marketing myself to superballas as the "all in 1" Phuket Personal Assistant.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #11307
nhourmess
adept
 
nhourmess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 897
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

now i wanna eat at secret cliff asap. maybe have dinner there tomorrow and patong after?
who is up?
nhourmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #11308
Knut_Hamsun
grinder
 
Knut_Hamsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Thailand
Posts: 477
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinal View Post
Does anyone eat Durian/Mangosteen/Lychee or any of the other great SEA fruits? Mangosteens in US are $45+/pound if you can find them..

Anyone use the saunas in Phuket on a regular? When I was down there I went to a good one in Nai Harn for 50baht a visit.. that I would recommend.

I came to Thailand for the healthy environment, would like to hear anyone's feedback on their experiences here.. health retreats visited, etc..anyone partaken?

And was the dog given back to his owner in Phuket yet??
y, those fruits are daily treats for us.

i came to thailand partly for health reasons too. visited many places and had lots of massages. There are some hot water springs around, i like them. not sure they are worth it though. Thai massage is great. But the biggest part for me is the daily swimming and avoiding cold weather (homecountry is norway). My health has improved a lot actually.
Knut_Hamsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #11309
ags
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Hi all.

Well after living in thailand for over a year I came back to my home country looking for a decent job but no luck there so time to get back to thailand and the poker i guess. Might try out bangkok this time round.

Sorry if these visa questions have been asked a million times but do any of you have the education visa and studying thai ? And is it easy to get once over there or would it be better off sorting it out here in my home country (I still have 3 months left on the non-o 1 year one I have). I'm pretty keen to learn thai anyway so would be good.

thanks
ags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #11310
Kloonike
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Estonia
Posts: 448
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I have an education visa, signed up for a 1 year Thai course in CM University Language institute. After paying the fee and getting the acceptance letter I took it to the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh and got my visa from there. Education visa is for 3 months first, so now I have to get a visa extension letter from the language institute to extend it up to a year. Look up some places that offer these courses and they should help you with your visa issues np.
Kloonike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #11311
Mmerli
adept
 
Mmerli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 1,129
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinal View Post
Does anyone eat Durian/Mangosteen/Lychee or any of the other great SEA fruits? Mangosteens in US are $45+/pound if you can find them..

Anyone use the saunas in Phuket on a regular? When I was down there I went to a good one in Nai Harn for 50baht a visit.. that I would recommend.

I came to Thailand for the healthy environment, would like to hear anyone's feedback on their experiences here.. health retreats visited, etc..anyone partaken?

And was the dog given back to his owner in Phuket yet??
yeah most of the fruit here is really tasty. I'm not a big fan of durian, but the mangos here are unbeliveably good. Mangosteen/bananas are also part of my daily diet. I do eat the things that look like lychees but I think are not (lamyai or whatever?) pretty often too.
I mean there are so many good fruits here you should just try them out as you go. like the sala's are good if you like more sour type fruit altho they are a bit of a pain (literally) to open (its the one with the spines), the sweet tamarinds, guava etc.
Also you can buy a lot of the fruit here pre-opened/sliced, but the micronutrient value wont be as good.
Mmerli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #11312
sabinal
centurion
 
sabinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 144
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmerli View Post
yeah most of the fruit here is really tasty. I'm not a big fan of durian, but the mangos here are unbeliveably good. Mangosteen/bananas are also part of my daily diet. I do eat the things that look like lychees but I think are not (lamyai or whatever?) pretty often too.
I mean there are so many good fruits here you should just try them out as you go. like the sala's are good if you like more sour type fruit altho they are a bit of a pain (literally) to open (its the one with the spines), the sweet tamarinds, guava etc.
Also you can buy a lot of the fruit here pre-opened/sliced, but the micronutrient value wont be as good.
Yes!! I just tried Plum Mango yesterday.. a nice new treat..seasonally available here in Udon now. Salas are a nice treat too Kap.
sabinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 AM   #11313
luckymaverick
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Hey I just moved to Jakarta....how is the easiest way for me to get money into full tilt....from cash....I am on tourist visa and i think i can't get local bank account....

let me know
luckymaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #11314
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhourmess View Post
now i wanna eat at secret cliff asap. maybe have dinner there tomorrow and patong after?
who is up?
ron doesn't even mention that the pizza at secret cliff is almost as good as rugantino's. we should make it secret cliff as pregame to patong, tonight
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #11315
Danne24
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Me and my mate just got to Phuket.. Where's the best place to party?.. we live in Karon beach.
Danne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #11316
Bikolas2k
journeyman
 
Bikolas2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 299
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

me and flotsamfiend/drawforfee are in bangkok and were wondering whats the ball park of staying ina super baller furnished condo here? this place is pretty sick besides the weather. we are staying in bangkok at the royal president hotel in some family suite so if any of you guys are around here shoot me a PM, we are looking to spew ;D
Bikolas2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #11317
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danne24 View Post
Me and my mate just got to Phuket.. Where's the best place to party?.. we live in Karon beach.
it depends on what kind of party you have in mind. a bunch of us plan on going to patong tonight (with a possible pregame dinner at secret cliff, as posted above) and if what you want is lots of booze and hookers, surrounded by aussie douches in singha jerseys, then patong is the place for you.
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #11318
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

UPDATED WITH A FEW MORE THINGS
Beaches

#1 Nai Harn Beach
#2 Kata Beach/ Kata Noi Beach
#3 Laem Singh (It's the cape between Kamala and Surin beaches)

Laem Singh does require a 100m descent (via stairs) to get down to. So if they have physical issues, maybe best leave that one alone)


Restaurants

OBV depends upon what they like but I'll give you my favs with description.

#1 Secret Cliff
Location: On the hills between Karon and Patong.
Food: Very Very Very Good Thai
Price: Medium but less than the Patong beachfront Sefood places
Others:
-Built into a cliff overlooking Karon bay. Super nice views.
-Must Try the stuffed crab appetizer!
-Rutang praises the pizza (which is high praise as pizzas in Thai restaurants tend to be subpar)

#2 Ratri Jazzaraunt
Location: Up a hill off Patak Rd in Kata (entrance soi is right next to Big 1)
Food: Thai and western.
Price: Med to High
Others:
-Very nice elevated view of Kata looking out onto the ocean.
Live low key jazz music played in Background while you eat.


#3 Boathouse
Location: Kata Beach Rd (heading towards Kata Noi)
Food: Western + Seafood
Price: High
Others:
-Only restaurant (that I know) that serves Kobe Beef steaks.

#4 Kan Eng Seafood (1 and 2)
Location:
1) Chalong, 100m from Chalong Pier
2) Chalong. 400m down Cho Fa East Rd. Turn right, roll 300m to end of soi.
Food: Thai/Seafood
Price: Medium
Others:
-Both overlook Chalong Bay
-Very Good Seafood/Thai food
-Decent service

#5 Fresh Restaurant
Location: Phuket Town (near a CHinese Temple. Can give specific directions if RQSTD)
Food: Thai/Seafood
Price: Medium to Low
Others:
-Hidden little Thai fod gem that is always packed with Thais but few farangs. Amazing Thai Food/Seafood.
-Doesn't stick out down a quiet soi.


#6 Campaningna (spelling might be off)
Location: Kata. Near Kata Beach Resort down a small soi full of restaurants.
Food: Best Italian overall in Phuket imo
Price: Medium
Others: Always full at dinner time even in low season. Plenty of decent pizza places around Kata/phuket but they have by far the best pastas on the whole.

#7 Casa De Pasta
Location: Kokthanod Rd, Kata
Food: Italian
Price: Medium
Others:
-Best Pizza (w/o having to wait for a table in Campaninnga
-Hole in the wall Italian Joint run by former AC Milan footballer
-Very Good Pastas (Prob 2nd in quality only to Campaninnga)
-20m across the road is an Italian Ice Cream shop (gelatto) that is delicioso and ownded/operated by the friend of the restaurant

#8 The 9th Floor
Location: Patong off 200 Yr Rd at top of a hotel.
Food: Western High End
Price: Highest
Others: Decent view (but not spectacular) onto Patong Bay.
Small, high end, managed by a Russian I believe.


#9 Two Chefs
Location: 1 in Kata 1 in Karon
Food: Western/Scandanavian
Price: Medium to High
Others:
-Swedish Chefs
-Steaks
-Scandinavian options on the menu

______________________________

Local hole in the wall Thai Places for yummy quick, cheap Thai Meals.

#1 Red Chair (formerly Guay Jab)
Location: Khoktanod Rd, Kata
Food: Thai
Price: Low
Others:
-Super fast service
-extensive menu with some western options
-cheap

#2 Larb Kata
Location: Patak Rd. Kata
Food: Thai
Price: Low
Others:
-Extensive Thai Menu
-slower service
-outside looks pretty rundown
-super friendly staff
-Best "Fried Rice" and "Larb" (spicy meat Thai salad) in Phuket imo

#3 Kua TaNoi
Location: Chalong, 400m from Chalong Circle on Patak Rd. (Across the street from "The Dive Shop"
Food: Thai
Price: Low
Others:
-Painted purple
-Extensive Thai Menu
-Excellent chicken fried with peppers and onion
-Good Big noodle Pad Thai

#4 STEVEO'S Burger Stand
Location: 50m from Chalong Circle on Patak Rd.
Food: Western Burgers/Hotdogs/Egg Sandwiches/milkshakes
Price: Low to MED
Others:
-Good American style burger stand with rocking milkshakes.
-Open late (until ~2-3AM)


Things to do
#1 Seeing the sites
-The Beaches
-Big Bhudda (accessed from Choa Fa West Rd in Chalong
-Laem Promthep Viewpoint (southernmost point of the island) for a sunset
-Ban Pae Waterfall/Jungle trek/Gibbon Project
---Awesome little nature trail for about 500m that ends with a small wading are under an active waterfall.
---Gibbon project monkey house
-Karon Viewpoint
----Located on Jungle/mountain Rd from Kata to Rawai
----Super nice elevated views of Kata/Karon and the ocean
-Wat Chalong
----Biggest Bhuddist Temple complex in Phuket
----3-4Km from Chalong circle down Chao Fa West Rd.

#2 Tourist oriented shows
-Phuket Fantasea
Location: North side of Kamala
---all day Cultural Show with elephants and traditional dance/fires dances and Thai food

-Simon's Cabaret

---If they are fairly open minded. It is a 2hour Show of extravagently dressed Katoeys singing and dancing. It's not degen in any way. Always see busloads of Korean and Japanese tourists going to it.

#3 Elephant Trek thru the Jungle
Location: Mulitple
-On Jungle/Mountain rd between Kata and Rawai. (about 1km past Karon Viewpoint coming from Kata)
-In patong on the hill rd right across from Safari Nightclub
-----~1Hr ride thru jungle trails on the back of an elephant

#4 Siri Island Monkey viewpoint
Location: Phuket town, accesible by road (bridge)
----Little viewpoint overlooking Fenced in Jungle where you can buy bananas and throw them at a gaggle of monkeys

#5 Phuket Zoo
Location: Phuket Town about 6km from Chalong circle down Chao Fa East Rd turn right and roll another 4km.
----Small zoo (by western standards)
----Has monkey show and elephant show

Boat Trips

Definitely do a 1 day (leave hot at 7AM get back 6PM) Pi Pi Island Boat Trip.

Other options:
Goto Rawai Beach (it's a working beach not a tourist beach)
And hire a Thai Longboat (~1200THB) to take you to a private beach on one of the smaller close surrounding islands.

Car Hire
Best place I know is on Patak Rd in Kata/Karon.
They do cars daily at around 1200KTHB/day.
I imagine you could work a discount for a week + rental
I reccomend them specifically because I and none of my friends have ever had any "scam" or other problems with them.

I can get the phone number/address for you in next few days if you are interested.

Bike Rentals

Yes. Not sure where but I know they exist.
If they are staying at a big resort, the staff should be able to get that taken care of for them.

Last edited by NewTeaBag; 03-02-2010 at 06:43 AM.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #11319
thomas.t
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 439
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag View Post
UPDATED WITH A FEW MORE THINGS
Beaches

#1 Nai Harn Beach
#2 Kata Beach/ Kata Noi Beach
#3 Laem Singh (It's the cape between Kamala and Surin beaches)

Laem Singh does require a 100m descent (via stairs) to get down to. So if they have physical issues, maybe best leave that one alone)


Restaurants

OBV depends upon what they like but I'll give you my favs with description.

#1 Secret Cliff
Location: On the hills between Karon and Patong.
Food: Very Very Very Good Thai
Price: Medium but less than the Patong beachfront Sefood places
Others:
-Built into a cliff overlooking Karon bay. Super nice views.
-Must Try the stuffed crab appetizer!
-Rutang praises the pizza (which is high praise as pizzas in Thai restaurants tend to be subpar)

#2 Ratri Jazzaraunt
Location: Up a hill off Patak Rd in Kata (entrance soi is right next to Big 1)
Food: Thai and western.
Price: Med to High
Others:
-Very nice elevated view of Kata looking out onto the ocean.
Live low key jazz music played in Background while you eat.


#3 Boathouse
Location: Kata Beach Rd (heading towards Kata Noi)
Food: Western + Seafood
Price: High
Others:
-Only restaurant (that I know) that serves Kobe Beef steaks.

#4 Kan Eng Seafood (1 and 2)
Location:
1) Chalong, 100m from Chalong Pier
2) Chalong. 400m down Cho Fa East Rd. Turn right, roll 300m to end of soi.
Food: Thai/Seafood
Price: Medium
Others:
-Both overlook Chalong Bay
-Very Good Seafood/Thai food
-Decent service

#5 Fresh Restaurant
Location: Phuket Town (near a CHinese Temple. Can give specific directions if RQSTD)
Food: Thai/Seafood
Price: Medium to Low
Others:
-Hidden little Thai fod gem that is always packed with Thais but few farangs. Amazing Thai Food/Seafood.
-Doesn't stick out down a quiet soi.


#6 Campaningna (spelling might be off)
Location: Kata. Near Kata Beach Resort down a small soi full of restaurants.
Food: Best Italian overall in Phuket imo
Price: Medium
Others: Always full at dinner time even in low season. Plenty of decent pizza places around Kata/phuket but they have by far the best pastas on the whole.

#7 Casa De Pasta
Location: Kokthanod Rd, Kata
Food: Italian
Price: Medium
Others:
-Best Pizza (w/o having to wait for a table in Campaninnga
-Hole in the wall Italian Joint run by former AC Milan footballer
-Very Good Pastas (Prob 2nd in quality only to Campaninnga)
-20m across the road is an Italian Ice Cream shop (gelatto) that is delicioso and ownded/operated by the friend of the restaurant

#8 The 9th Floor
Location: Patong off 200 Yr Rd at top of a hotel.
Food: Western High End
Price: Highest
Others: Decent view (but not spectacular) onto Patong Bay.
Small, high end, managed by a Russian I believe.


#9 Two Chefs
Location: 1 in Kata 1 in Karon
Food: Western/Scandanavian
Price: Medium to High
Others:
-Swedish Chefs
-Steaks
-Scandinavian options on the menu

______________________________

Local hole in the wall Thai Places for yummy quick, cheap Thai Meals.

#1 Red Chair (formerly Guay Jab)
Location: Khoktanod Rd, Kata
Food: Thai
Price: Low
Others:
-Super fast service
-extensive menu with some western options
-cheap

#2 Larb Kata
Location: Patak Rd. Kata
Food: Thai
Price: Low
Others:
-Extensive Thai Menu
-slower service
-outside looks pretty rundown
-super friendly staff
-Best "Fried Rice" and "Larb" (spicy meat Thai salad) in Phuket imo

#3 Kua TaNoi
Location: Chalong, 400m from Chalong Circle on Patak Rd. (Across the street from "The Dive Shop"
Food: Thai
Price: Low
Others:
-Painted purple
-Extensive Thai Menu
-Excellent chicken fried with peppers and onion
-Good Big noodle Pad Thai

#4 STEVEO'S Burger Stand
Location: 50m from Chalong Circle on Patak Rd.
Food: Western Burgers/Hotdogs/Egg Sandwiches/milkshakes
Price: Low to MED
Others:
-Good American style burger stand with rocking milkshakes.
-Open late (until ~2-3AM)


Things to do
#1 Seeing the sites
-The Beaches
-Big Bhudda (accessed from Choa Fa West Rd in Chalong
-Laem Promthep Viewpoint (southernmost point of the island) for a sunset
-Ban Pae Waterfall/Jungle trek/Gibbon Project
---Awesome little nature trail for about 500m that ends with a small wading are under an active waterfall.
---Gibbon project monkey house
-Karon Viewpoint
----Located on Jungle/mountain Rd from Kata to Rawai
----Super nice elevated views of Kata/Karon and the ocean
-Wat Chalong
----Biggest Bhuddist Temple complex in Phuket
----3-4Km from Chalong circle down Chao Fa West Rd.

#2 Tourist oriented shows
-Phuket Fantasea
Location: North side of Kamala
---all day Cultural Show with elephants and traditional dance/fires dances and Thai food

-Simon's Cabaret

---If they are fairly open minded. It is a 2hour Show of extravagently dressed Katoeys singing and dancing. It's not degen in any way. Always see busloads of Korean and Japanese tourists going to it.

#3 Elephant Trek thru the Jungle
Location: Mulitple
-On Jungle/Mountain rd between Kata and Rawai. (about 1km past Karon Viewpoint coming from Kata)
-In patong on the hill rd right across from Safari Nightclub
-----~1Hr ride thru jungle trails on the back of an elephant

#4 Siri Island Monkey viewpoint
Location: Phuket town, accesible by road (bridge)
----Little viewpoint overlooking Fenced in Jungle where you can buy bananas and throw them at a gaggle of monkeys

#5 Phuket Zoo
Location: Phuket Town about 6km from Chalong circle down Chao Fa East Rd turn right and roll another 4km.
----Small zoo (by western standards)
----Has monkey show and elephant show

Boat Trips

Definitely do a 1 day (leave hot at 7AM get back 6PM) Pi Pi Island Boat Trip.

Other options:
Goto Rawai Beach (it's a working beach not a tourist beach)
And hire a Thai Longboat (~1200THB) to take you to a private beach on one of the smaller close surrounding islands.

Car Hire
Best place I know is on Patak Rd in Kata/Karon.
They do cars daily at around 1200KTHB/day.
I imagine you could work a discount for a week + rental
I reccomend them specifically because I and none of my friends have ever had any "scam" or other problems with them.

I can get the phone number/address for you in next few days if you are interested.

Bike Rentals

Yes. Not sure where but I know they exist.
If they are staying at a big resort, the staff should be able to get that taken care of for them.
Nice. Thanks man!
thomas.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #11320
OTL
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,693
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikolas2k View Post
me and flotsamfiend/drawforfee are in bangkok and were wondering whats the ball park of staying ina super baller furnished condo here? this place is pretty sick besides the weather. we are staying in bangkok at the royal president hotel in some family suite so if any of you guys are around here shoot me a PM, we are looking to spew ;D
I know people are going to Bed Supperclub which is right down the street from you tonight. If I end up going I'll pm you my number.
OTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #11321
rubbrband
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rubbrband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: R VA
Posts: 10,447
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

is this the place with the kobe beef?

http://www.boathousephuket.com/dining.htm
rubbrband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #11322
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbrband View Post
is this the place with the kobe beef?

http://www.boathousephuket.com/dining.htm
yes
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #11323
KaizenK
old hand
 
KaizenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,741
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Beware of criminal 2+2er in Bangkok(or any other turd foreigner)

A month or so before I arrived in Thailand, I received a PM from Requiem4ever, saying hey lets meet for a beer etc etc. So I say sure I'll message you when I arrive. He sounded like a decent dude, and I couldn't have been any more wrong.

Last Thursday evening, we agree to go out to bar/club or whatever. He calls 30 minutes later and says he wants to go to my place and drink beer. I thought he meant go to a bar around my place(I was in a condo off of suk 13, many places to drink), he had a slight accent, I didn't understand him 100%. He arrives at my place and I walk out to the lobby and didn't see him. So I call him and ask him where he is. He's out in front of the Family Mart, which is about 50 meters to the left.

He had 2 bottles of Chang with him, I'm like WTF? This guy just invited himself to my place. He didn't look physically imposing or sinister, so I'm like ok whatever and invite the dude in (says his name is Alex/Alexis). So we shoot the breeze for a little bit, he was quiet, but seemed like a nice enough guy. So we finish the beers and go to Boss club. That place sucked but we end up shooting pool, finishing his bottle of Scotch, and taking 2 girls from there to the next place.....Bossy. (fwiw, i never been to these 2 places before)

We get there, and he has a friend there, and he comes up with 3 beers and hands me one. I take a few drinks and as it turns out, they put something in my drink that made me lose consciousness.

(Some of the following events might be out of order, I don't remember a lot of details)
I awake the next morning/afternoon at the girl's condo (i don't even remember being there)and find that my wallet and key are gone. The 2 girls take me to the police station to file a police report. We go to my condo and this dirtbag cleaned house. My laptop, monitor, a lot of nice clothes, credit cards, camera, ipod, luggage, and cologne were gone- ALL GONE. Miraculously, they didn't find 2 ATM cards that I removed from my wallet before I went out to meet Reqium.

For a moment, I thought the girls were in on it, but they explained everything to me, which most of it i don't really remember at this point, nor does it really matter, and came to a pretty fast conclusion that they were indeed not in on it, requim simply told him he was a friend and they took it hook, line, and sinker. By the time they caught on, it was too late. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was his friend who robbed the joint, Requiem was also at the girl's condo, but apparently would go back and forth to the condo and net cafe below. Most likely, he was communicating to his friend where my condo and what my room number was, and making sure I was out like a light. I was out alright, the Thai girl was almost scared I was dead and would periodically check my pulse and was thinking of calling a doctor.

A week before this happened, I was out with an American/Lao friend who happened to be in town. In the back of the cab, he was telling me to watch my back, there's a lot of desperate people with nothing to lose who will not think twice of taking what you have- he was referring to the Thai locals. Never did it cross my mind that it would be a foreigner to be so desperate and insidious to do something like this.

In retrospect, I think of what I could have done to avoid this, its easy to say I could have done this or that differently- hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I'll just chalk it up to experience and am fortunate that I'm still alive and in relatively good spirits, considering the circumstances.

I think its a longshot he'll ever be caught or that I'll ever run into him, but if I do, I won't show him much mercy. I'll leave him the same way he left me-, but instead of a drug, I'll use my two bare fists..


but beside that night, I had a great time!!
KaizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #11324
rubbrband
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rubbrband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: R VA
Posts: 10,447
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

fyi there is a motor bike rental place right between the aloha and kata beach studio. i know for a fact they can book the bikes at the kata beach studio front desk but you need to give them your address and a copy of your passport.
rubbrband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #11325
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Hmmm.

Should I start offering "Equalizer" services?
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive