Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #10926
y0y0b0y
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Koh Samui
Posts: 31
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyironThumb View Post
what model USB stick are you using with CAT CDMA?

Huawei EC226
y0y0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #10927
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
English lesson for the american by asking a counter question: Is his name Ander or Anders?
Anders

to make it possessive Anders'
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #10928
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y0b0y View Post
Huawei EC226
rigged, I have the same. So it's worth taking it back you think?
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #10929
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

i know his name is Anders. obv i'm asking for an english lesson because i don't know how to make it possessive.
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #10930
Echelon
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chiang Mai
Posts: 476
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

where are AirAsia ticket offices located in Phuket?
Echelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #10931
Echelon
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chiang Mai
Posts: 476
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

found it, Patong Beach road
Echelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #10932
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

there is one in 2nd floor in the big tesco in phuket town
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #10933
Requiem4ever
banned
 
Requiem4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 136
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag View Post
Hmmmmmm. What country do you come from? There are a certain few that get different visas.

What does it say under visa type? "O" "TR" something else?


It's a Tourist visa type
Category ''TR''
NO of entry ''2''
fee ''0 baht''
issued at: Vientiane
date of issue: 30 november
enter before: 30 feb 2010

So i am wondering, i just have to go to another country, and come back in Thailand? I don't have to go to any ambassy or whatever stuff like that?
Requiem4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #10934
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4ever View Post
It's a Tourist visa type
Category ''TR''
NO of entry ''2''
fee ''0 baht''
issued at: Vientiane
date of issue: 30 november
enter before: 30 feb 2010

So i am wondering, i just have to go to another country, and come back in Thailand? I don't have to go to any ambassy or whatever stuff like that?
you have a visa already so you dont have to go to embassy. just make sure you leave and more importantly you should come back no later than 1 day before that enter before date though i have no clue what is going on since there are only 28 days in february
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #10935
marcin.luk
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 43
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

im curious it is expensive to live in hotel room in thailand for a little longer than usual (1-2 months)
hotel is a simple solution for me but im wondering how much it cost per month ?
marcin.luk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #10936
lanceg
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag View Post
My understanding is that Stars will do cashouts to your Thai bank acct as long as they are >$1K.

I don't know about depositing as I haven't done that in quite some time.
Okay, thanks for the response NewTeaBag.

My only concern now is that I created the account with PokerStars in the US, so if I try to deposit or play from a Thai ip address will they freeze my account? I know I could get around this by using a vpn (or as Lessu suggested elsewhere connect to a friend's pc back home in order to make a deposit), but I've heard that vpns can have pretty bad lag.

I'm almost at the point now where I'm just going to pay for a vpn (i.e.- blacklogic). Not just for playing, but also for depositing and cashing out. That way I don't have to worry about frozen accounts, issues with Thai banks, etc...just do everything via vpn and my bank acct back in the US.

BTW, if anybody has a "secret" they'd like to share on how to circumvent all this crap, I'm all ears...please pm me.
lanceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #10937
nutsflopper
veteran
 
nutsflopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,254
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

marcin, get a serviced apartment
nutsflopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #10938
nutsflopper
veteran
 
nutsflopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,254
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

lanceg, the secret is to do everything as normal on stars, no problem.
nutsflopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #10939
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
i know his name is Anders. obv i'm asking for an english lesson because i don't know how to make it possessive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag
to make it possessive Anders'
.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #10940
Margin Of Error
banned
 
Margin Of Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,476
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceg View Post
Okay, thanks for the response NewTeaBag.

My only concern now is that I created the account with PokerStars in the US, so if I try to deposit or play from a Thai ip address will they freeze my account? I know I could get around this by using a vpn (or as Lessu suggested elsewhere connect to a friend's pc back home in order to make a deposit), but I've heard that vpns can have pretty bad lag.

I'm almost at the point now where I'm just going to pay for a vpn (i.e.- blacklogic). Not just for playing, but also for depositing and cashing out. That way I don't have to worry about frozen accounts, issues with Thai banks, etc...just do everything via vpn and my bank acct back in the US.

BTW, if anybody has a "secret" they'd like to share on how to circumvent all this crap, I'm all ears...please pm me.

Yeah I'm interested in this topic as well.
Margin Of Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #10941
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceg View Post
Okay, thanks for the response NewTeaBag.

My only concern now is that I created the account with PokerStars in the US, so if I try to deposit or play from a Thai ip address will they freeze my account? I know I could get around this by using a vpn (or as Lessu suggested elsewhere connect to a friend's pc back home in order to make a deposit), but I've heard that vpns can have pretty bad lag.

I'm almost at the point now where I'm just going to pay for a vpn (i.e.- blacklogic). Not just for playing, but also for depositing and cashing out. That way I don't have to worry about frozen accounts, issues with Thai banks, etc...just do everything via vpn and my bank acct back in the US.

BTW, if anybody has a "secret" they'd like to share on how to circumvent all this crap, I'm all ears...please pm me.
Stars are cool with you playing in Thailand.

For me, since I'm here longterm, I actually changed my Stars acct address to Thailand.

AFAIK, you can keep depositing/withdrawing via your normal US channels as well even while playing from a Thai IP.

Stars are certainly easy to play and deal with from Thailand.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #10942
Requiem4ever
banned
 
Requiem4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 136
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Okay thanks you realy much :-) And where is the fastes place to do a visa run (By bus/train) except Laos?
Requiem4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #10943
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

you dont need vpn for stars. my account infos are all from my finland times and when cashing out i was asked once why i am playing from thailand when my registered address is in finland. i explained my situation and they said ok and shipped me my monies

like someone said already dont try to hide anything since you are not doing anything wrong. ask them beforehand if you want. i dont think stars is in habbit of screwing innocent over
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #10944
lanceg
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin.luk View Post
im curious it is expensive to live in hotel room in thailand for a little longer than usual (1-2 months)
hotel is a simple solution for me but im wondering how much it cost per month ?
Almost every place I've stayed has given me a discount for staying there more than a week. Even if they don't advertise a weekly/monthly discount they'll usually give you one if you pay for the period in advance. This might not be possible if you are in a popular area during high season though.

Be careful about monthly rates though. A lot of places will advertise a monthly rate that's cheaper, but then they'll charge you for water and electric. If you're inside your room a lot and running ac all day you can end up paying more than the daily rate.

Right now I'm in a cheap guesthouse in Pattaya. Stayed a couple of nights to make sure I liked it, and then prepaid for a month and got a discount. Small room, but nice and quiet, and the wifi is great.

BTW, for those in Chiang Mai looking for a cheap guesthouse with a great internet connection, try RCN Guesthouse. Stayed there a month and was very happy. Only 500 Baht/night with free unlimited internet included, and the staff were very friendly.
lanceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #10945
lanceg
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I was beginning to think I'd have to devise a scheme so complicated that the NSA might take notice...just to play internet poker.
lanceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #10946
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

when we came for high season to phuket last year, summer breeze gave us a pretty considerable discount rate for 2 weeks (we were getting 5 rooms) it never hurts to ask. in low season, a 2 month rate should be pretty reasonable.
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #10947
Rhayne
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 37
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Hey am considering spending something in the region of 4 months maybe longer maybe shorter in thailand this summer, as I am graduating this year. One of the options I have is to travel to Thailand and grind, how easy would this be as I am a $5-10 NL player, reasonable win rate. Only thing is while I have been to Thailand before I have never considered something like this before and would be a little lost as to whether this is my best option.

Normally I would get a job like any other graduate but the job market in the UK is depressed so I figured that I might take a break from the job hunt and possibly wait till next year and start re applying then when the job market 'hopefully' will start to bounce back. Not to mention this would be a sick opportunity to do something completely different from what would be considered 'norm' which I find enthralling

Any thoughts or comments? Negative and positive feedback is welcome
Rhayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #10948
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhayne View Post
Hey am considering spending something in the region of 4 months maybe longer maybe shorter in thailand this summer, as I am graduating this year. One of the options I have is to travel to Thailand and grind, how easy would this be as I am a $5-10 NL player, reasonable win rate. Only thing is while I have been to Thailand before I have never considered something like this before and would be a little lost as to whether this is my best option.

Normally I would get a job like any other graduate but the job market in the UK is depressed so I figured that I might take a break from the job hunt and possibly wait till next year and start re applying then when the job market 'hopefully' will start to bounce back. Not to mention this would be a sick opportunity to do something completely different from what would be considered 'norm' which I find enthralling

Any thoughts or comments? Negative and positive feedback is welcome
i think it's very positive you are planning to do something other than what the "normal" people do, even if it's for a while only

if you play 5-10 you won't need many buy-ins per month to live a pretty nice life here.

I'd book a flight and spend some time at different locations here and then possibly choose one as your HQ and rent a place for a bit longer
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #10949
Rhayne
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 37
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
i think it's very positive you are planning to do something other than what the "normal" people do, even if it's for a while only

if you play 5-10 you won't need many buy-ins per month to live a pretty nice life here.

I'd book a flight and spend some time at different locations here and then possibly choose one as your HQ and rent a place for a bit longer
Hmm cheers. I try to do things where 'norm' people wouldn't do, for example I spent one year studying in South Korea, which I'm pretty sure by many peoples situations wouldn't be normal in the slightest and it was the best year of my life excluding nothing!

The problems I find are that I know no one in Thailand, although hopefully I can get to know some 2+2ers in Thailand to help the transition easier, another is that I'm currently in a upswing in my poker career and the problem is I know I'm playing quite well but I'm running above average right now, so I will have to wait and see if this is a natural progression or merely a good upswing

But once again the main problem is the simple fact of moving to a completely new country with no real information apart from a dream.

How you go about renting an apartment? Is it easy?
What kind of expense are you looking at per month?
Would it be better to live in Bangkok or one of the islands? I'm aware there has always been quite a large argument regarding this but an clarification would be appreciated
Rhayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #10950
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhayne View Post
How you go about renting an apartment? Is it easy?
What kind of expense are you looking at per month?
Would it be better to live in Bangkok or one of the islands? I'm aware there has always been quite a large argument regarding this but an clarification would be appreciated
all these questions are kind of big. i won't even try to answer generally unless you make the questions more specific.

first, renting a place is easy. in phuket all you do is hop on your motorbike and start driving around until you find a place that suits you, negotiate rent and other contract stuff and move in. nothing special to it.

monthly expenses vary a lot depending on your rent, if you go out a lot, do a lot of activities etc. I think I spend around $2k a month including everything (me+gf)

the location question is too difficult to answer too without you telling anything you want. that's why I said in my first reply that you should spend a little time at each of the main locations phuket, bangkok and chiang mai since there are big 2+2 communities at each place (you mentioned you would want to stay near 2+2'ers) and then choose which one suits you best
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive