Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #10901
Lemonade
centurion
 
Lemonade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 136
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag View Post
~15 peeps in BKK
~15peeps in Chiang Mai
~15peeps in Phuket.

There is a core of these peeps who know each other. Some show up in 1s and 2s but quickly integrate into the local communities (assuming they are not douchey).

Avg stay is like 3-6mos for any given 2p2er. A solid core of about 10 of us have been here >1yr. I'm prob longest active poster and am about to hit 3yrs.
Wow that is so cool(srs). I guess I have to look the places you mentioned. I'm thinking of vacationing there for a month in august. (in Phuket?)
Lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #10902
Requiem4ever
banned
 
Requiem4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 136
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I have a double entry visa (3 month's and i heard i can have an extension of + 3 month's but i don't know how it's work. If u can help me out there too will be great) i had it at Thai ambassy in Laos for free.

Thanks you for your help by the way :-)
Requiem4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #10903
mikenxz
grinder
 
mikenxz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 655
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Would really appreciate an update/link on visa procedure for a long stay. I am moving to chaing mai in July and want to stay for up to a year. I am reading that the re entry visa when you cross the border by land has been decreased to 15 days, is this true? Other than that I think I would apply for a 60day tourist visa and extend it by 30 days to start out with, not sure what the best option is after than. Thanks
mikenxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #10904
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4ever View Post
I have a double entry visa (3 month's and i heard i can have an extension of + 3 month's but i don't know how it's work. If u can help me out there too will be great) i had it at Thai ambassy in Laos for free.

Thanks you for your help by the way :-)
Ok you have Double Entry Tourist isa from Thai EMbassy in Lao.

These are 60+30 day visas X 2.

So once you hit 60 days you goto local immigration office, fill out a form, pay 1900THB and get 30 day extension.

At the 90 day point, you have to leave Thailand and come back in. This can be any border by land or air.

Important note: On your visa there will be an "Enter Before" date. You MUST do your border cross and re-entry BEFORE that date or you lose the 2nd entry. So if it said "enter before 20FEB" you would have to leave and renter by 19Feb latest.

For actual mechanics of how to do a border cross there are multiple ways.
For comfort, fly to any local foreign city (Closest and cheapest airfaires are probly Singapore, Kuala Lumpur. If you arn't intersted in touring about , then just book a morning flight and a return flight in the afternoons and hange about int he airport for a few hours.

For lowest expense, find a visa tour company. (I dont know the ones in BKK) They will probly charge you ~2KTHB to bus/minivan you to cambodia or Burma or whevere. This usually entails a days worth of riding in a bus.

At the actual borders it is easy. With your visa you hae to do nothing other than walk thru the immo checkpoints and let the dude do his stampy stuff.

Hope this helps.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #10905
Cyphernz
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Phuket
Posts: 77
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Hey guys I've been looking into spending some time in LOS. I've been playing poker (2/4 -10/20NL) for a living for a year now and after a recent breakup I'm looking for a change of scenary.
I've done a bit of research on my own mainly at stickman and phuket-info.com so I have a basic idea of what its like. Seems like a freakin awesome place esp for a single guy.
My parents holiday in Patong every year for the last 6-7yrs and they keep telling me i should go there (after reading what most single guys get up to over there hearing my parents telling me to go there seems a little weird to say the least)

From what I've read though it seems like it mainly attracts an older crowd (40yrs+) of guys though is this right?
Roughly how many 2+2'ers are in Phuket? And do you guys live in Phuket city or Patong?

I'm thinking I may come over in April for a couple weeks to check it out and if I like it come back on a more permanent basis. Looking at staying at Summer Breeze Hotel, anyone stayed there before?

Do most of the guys living there live in their own house / appartment or in a shared house with other poker players? What are the odds of me getting in on a shared house? I have no problem living on my own but seems like it would be good fun to live with other players.

Cheers
Cyphernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #10906
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenxz View Post
Would really appreciate an update/link on visa procedure for a long stay. I am moving to chaing mai in July and want to stay for up to a year. I am reading that the re entry visa when you cross the border by land has been decreased to 15 days, is this true? Other than that I think I would apply for a 60day tourist visa and extend it by 30 days to start out with, not sure what the best option is after than. Thanks
Ok, to give best advice need to know your country of origin.



EDIT: Please repeat this question in the "ask us about Thailand Thread"

This thread is mostly us babbling back and forth about stuff were doing here. That thead is more fore the srs questions/advice.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #10907
Requiem4ever
banned
 
Requiem4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 136
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag View Post
Ok you have Double Entry Tourist isa from Thai EMbassy in Lao.

These are 60+30 day visas X 2.

So once you hit 60 days you goto local immigration office, fill out a form, pay 1900THB and get 30 day extension.

At the 90 day point, you have to leave Thailand and come back in. This can be any border by land or air.

Important note: On your visa there will be an "Enter Before" date. You MUST do your border cross and re-entry BEFORE that date or you lose the 2nd entry. So if it said "enter before 20FEB" you would have to leave and renter by 19Feb latest.

For actual mechanics of how to do a border cross there are multiple ways.
For comfort, fly to any local foreign city (Closest and cheapest airfaires are probly Singapore, Kuala Lumpur. If you arn't intersted in touring about , then just book a morning flight and a return flight in the afternoons and hange about int he airport for a few hours.

For lowest expense, find a visa tour company. (I dont know the ones in BKK) They will probly charge you ~2KTHB to bus/minivan you to cambodia or Burma or whevere. This usually entails a days worth of riding in a bus.

At the actual borders it is easy. With your visa you hae to do nothing other than walk thru the immo checkpoints and let the dude do his stampy stuff.

Hope this helps.


On my visa it's writting 90 day's is it a different visa?
Requiem4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #10908
mikenxz
grinder
 
mikenxz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 655
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Hi, I was told to post this in here - Would really appreciate an update/link on visa procedure for a long stay. I am moving to chaing mai in July and want to stay for up to a year. I am reading that the re-entry visa when you cross the border by land has been decreased to 15 days, is this true? Other than that from what I can figure out I would apply for a 60day tourist visa and extend it by 30 days to start out with, not sure what the best option is after than. My country of origin is New Zealand. Thank you very much, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there and having someone who is actually there take the time to answer is awesome.
mikenxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #10909
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4ever View Post
On my visa it's writting 90 day's is it a different visa?
Hmmmmmm. What country do you come from? There are a certain few that get different visas.

What does it say under visa type? "O" "TR" something else?
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #10910
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenxz View Post
Hi, I was told to post this in here - Would really appreciate an update/link on visa procedure for a long stay. I am moving to chaing mai in July and want to stay for up to a year. I am reading that the re-entry visa when you cross the border by land has been decreased to 15 days, is this true? Other than that from what I can figure out I would apply for a 60day tourist visa and extend it by 30 days to start out with, not sure what the best option is after than. My country of origin is New Zealand. Thank you very much, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there and having someone who is actually there take the time to answer is awesome.
OK. You can get a double entry tourist visa at the Thai embassy in NZ. That would get you 180 days (which would include one border run and 2 incountry 30 day extensions). The tourist visa is 60+30 days. (The 30 days iis the incountry extension for 1900THB).

For your specific circumstance, I would reccomend a 2 day trip to Perth Australia to visit the Thai consulate there. Apply for a 1yr Nonimmigrant O, multiple entry visa. This would give you 1 yr (15mos if you plan it perfectly). You would still have to leave and renter every 90days but no other visa costs.

It has to be Perth for this visa. Any other Thai consulate you goto (aside from 1 in northern UK and possibly one in The US) you can only get the Tourist visa. Perth seems to be giving these 1yr Non imm Os out with no hassle (IE no paperworks, bank statements, etc)


Hope that helps.

EDIT: If you do go the tourist visa route. You could get a dbl entry form NZ Thai embassy and then at the end of your 180 days, you can goto te Thia Embassy in Laos and get another dbl entry Tourist visa. This ould also effectively give you 360 daysbut with more hassle than the 1 yr non imm O.

Last edited by NewTeaBag; 02-14-2010 at 09:48 PM.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #10911
mikenxz
grinder
 
mikenxz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 655
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Thank you very much for your help. I am going to call the Thai embassy here in NZ and ask about the double entry visa. Will also look into the one via perth but my concern with that is the possibility of paying for the trip over there and not being guaranteed a visa. If I was to go for the double entry, what would my best option be at the end of the 6 month period?

Thanks again, it helps a lot.
mikenxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #10912
lanceg
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Okay, one more time...

Please...anyone with experience in cashing out from Thailand...I'm open to suggestions. And yes, I've searched hundreds of posts in this thread already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceg View Post
Hey all, I'm in Thailand for the rest of 2010 and trying to figure out the best way to deposit/withdraw money for online poker (Pokerstars). I have a bank acct in the USA but I'd rather go through a Thai bank acct (i.e.- Kasikorn) if at all possible. According to the Pokerstars website, the following methods are available for BOTH paying and cashing out: Click2Pay, ClickandBuy, Entropay, and WebMoney. It also lists Visa but NOT Mastercard...which I don't understand.

Can those of you who have experience with one or more of the above methods make a recommendation? Or is there an easier way of going about it? Any advice from the experienced hands in Thailand would be appreciated.
lanceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #10913
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
Wow that is so cool(srs). I guess I have to look the places you mentioned. I'm thinking of vacationing there for a month in august. (in Phuket?)
personally I wouldn't do phuket in august as it's one of the worst months weather wise (along with sep-nov). I'd do bangkok instead since rain doesn't matter as much there. depending where you are from though every month in phuket might be better than any month in your home country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4ever View Post
I have a double entry visa (3 month's and i heard i can have an extension of + 3 month's but i don't know how it's work. If u can help me out there too will be great) i had it at Thai ambassy in Laos for free.

Thanks you for your help by the way :-)
check the visa from your passport (the sticker you got from the thai embassy when you applied for the visa in your home country). tell us your "type of visa" and the "enter before" date. after that it's easier to help
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #10914
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Thailand chatter thread

i just counted 23 phuketters off the top of my head, all connected to 2+2 by housemate or whatever (don and zach for example) not counting guys like ander's finnish friends, Al, etc. hell, we had 17 for sports yesterday. add in people's gfs, jonny, etc and we have a giant community here. i also know there are groups of scandi poker players that we never interact with.

i think I know 20 bkkers, and i can't know half of them.

maybe you meant that we had 15 very active board members? that's about right i guess.

also, i love the monsoon season here. to each his own.

btw, props to Juha and Ron, as always, for being the resident 2+2 advisors. don't know how many of us would be here without you guy's help.

Last edited by rutang; 02-15-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: if i'm gonna be contrary, mise well recognize
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #10915
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
not counting guys like ander's finnish friends
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #10916
moobaa
old hand
 
moobaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: comeback
Posts: 1,791
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphernz View Post
Seems like a freakin awesome place esp for a single guy.
bangkok, pattaya, phuket, chiang mai, u name it, thailand is great

Quote:
From what I've read though it seems like it mainly attracts an older crowd (40yrs+) of guys though is this right?
not true, its a healthy mix of youngsters and oldies

Quote:
Looking at staying at Summer Breeze Hotel, anyone stayed there before?
ive stayed twice in summer breeze, great staff, good food, decent price and rooms, good location if u wanna be in patong cause u have close to everything
moobaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 AM   #10917
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
maybe they are danish? every second pale skinned euro around here seems to be finnish.

also, how do you make "Anders" possessive? Ander's or Anders'?
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:57 AM   #10918
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphernz View Post

I'm thinking I may come over in April for a couple weeks to check it out and if I like it come back on a more permanent basis. Looking at staying at Summer Breeze Hotel, anyone stayed there before?
I've also stayed there twice. it's where i put my friends who want to stay in Patong, and i plug it everytime someone asks for a reco here in the thread. best internet at a reasonably priced place, great location for partying, great staff, good food, decent rooms.

I still drop by every few weeks to eat and chat with the staff.
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #10919
moobaa
old hand
 
moobaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: comeback
Posts: 1,791
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

oh yeah forgot to mention that the internet is really good compared to other places
moobaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #10920
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
maybe they are danish? every second pale skinned euro around here seems to be finnish.

also, how do you make "Anders" possessive? Ander's or Anders'?
English lesson for the american by asking a counter question: Is his name Ander or Anders?
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #10921
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceg View Post
Okay, one more time...

Please...anyone with experience in cashing out from Thailand...I'm open to suggestions. And yes, I've searched hundreds of posts in this thread already.
My understanding is that Stars will do cashouts to your Thai bank acct as long as they are >$1K.

I don't know about depositing as I haven't done that in quite some time.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #10922
y0y0b0y
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Koh Samui
Posts: 31
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

CAT CDMA adventures cont............

So I visit the CAT shop in Airport Plaza (chiang Mai) and as soon as I whipped out my dongle the entire staff start giggling

Marvellous.

It's all China's fault apparently. That or they're waiting for a little man from China to come and fix it.

The translation wasn't clear.

It might take the Chinese 2 weeks to fix. I think that's what they said.

In the meantime I can have a refund. Nice. Except I haven't been paying for the bloody thing anyhows.


So I wandered around looking for an AIS shop, but only found a promo booth thingy that implied that AIS don't offer an "unlimited" package for their 3G Dongly thing.

Marvellous.

Can anyone else confirm or elaborate about AIS 3G ?

Anyone used the DTAC ?
y0y0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #10923
Gondolin
adept
 
Gondolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 910
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

AIS: http://www.ais.co.th/3g/EN/

I was gonna buy that until I realised it doesn't work outside Chiang Mai, so wouldn't be useful to me for very long.
Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #10924
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

what model USB stick are you using with CAT CDMA?

AFAIK you can't get unlimited monthly service with AIS, only prepaid top up. Schreech has used it for around a month now so it will be interesting to see how much he has spent on it
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #10925
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Thailand chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
i just counted 23 phuketters off the top of my head, all connected to 2+2 by housemate or whatever (don and zach for example) not counting guys like ander's finnish friends, Al, etc. hell, we had 17 for sports yesterday. add in people's gfs, jonny, etc and we have a giant community here. i also know there are groups of scandi poker players that we never interact with.

i think I know 20 bkkers, and i can't know half of them.

maybe you meant that we had 15 very active board members? that's about right i guess.

also, i love the monsoon season here. to each his own.

btw, props to Juha and Ron, as always, for being the resident 2+2 advisors. don't know how many of us would be here without you guy's help.
Yeah, my estimates were definitly conservative/low. As kotkis pointed out in the other thread BKK is prob a LOT higher in numbers.

And yeah community in Phuket, counting longterm gfs, non 2p2 friends (like Zach, Don, Tyson, etc) and other trusted friends like Jhonny swell it up quite a bit.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive