Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #10726
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I had a friend just look into what he'd get on his G.I. Bill for school in Thailand, and it was closer to 3k/mo (I forget the exact figure)

maybe officers get a better stipend on GI bill or something? I dunno
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #10727
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

......
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #10728
chriszu
journeyman
 
chriszu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: below zero
Posts: 353
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

sorry won't make it to super bowl and soccer..decided to move south for the last days.. ..sorry for bringing it up and finally can't go.. pm'd OTL the details about the reservation @bourbon street.. if some guys want to watch there..
chriszu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #10729
sabinal
centurion
 
sabinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 144
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evigt_Drabbad View Post
visa run to laos sucked big time, about 8-9 hours of deathracing in a minivan from pattaya to vientiane and vientiane was the biggest and most boring ****place NEVER AGAIN
Going there for visa run on Tuesday..flying Air Asia - Phuket to Udon Thani, and crossing over. Did you apply or 1 or 2 visas? How did the process go? Any advice on where to stay overnight?

I prefer the independent visa runs vs. the Visa run packages..my last was to KL for a few days and went smooth enough.
sabinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #10730
mithras
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vientiane
Posts: 963
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinal View Post
Going there for visa run on Tuesday..flying Air Asia - Phuket to Udon Thani, and crossing over. Did you apply or 1 or 2 visas? How did the process go? Any advice on where to stay overnight?

I prefer the independent visa runs vs. the Visa run packages..my last was to KL for a few days and went smooth enough.
Easy, from udon airport take the 40 minute minibus "limousine" (lol) to friendship bridge. Cross thai immigration, take a very full public bus over the bridge for 20 baht. Once there apply for lao visa on arrival ($35 in actual dollars or you'll get ripped off if you pay in baht). THen go through lao immigration and find some people to share a tuktuk with to the downtown area.

Once there find a guesthouse/hotel and come drink a beer (or 2 or 5) in Bor pen Nyang .

(Oh and if you want a double entry Tourist visa go to the embassy at exactly 8:00 AM the next morning)

Last edited by mithras; 02-07-2010 at 12:19 AM.
mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #10731
loosekanen
USA#1, Oh Yeah!
 
loosekanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N/A
Posts: 27,524
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
I had a friend just look into what he'd get on his G.I. Bill for school in Thailand, and it was closer to 3k/mo (I forget the exact figure)

maybe officers get a better stipend on GI bill or something? I dunno
I'm pretty sure everyone gets the same E5+dependent BAH. He could also be including total prices of school + living expenses that the bill is guaranteeing. I'm pretty sure the US gvmt wouldn't pay that much considering they don't pay that much anywhere stateside. But I've been wrong before.
loosekanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #10732
onetam
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 230
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosekanen View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone gets the same E5+dependent BAH. He could also be including total prices of school + living expenses that the bill is guaranteeing. I'm pretty sure the US gvmt wouldn't pay that much considering they don't pay that much anywhere stateside. But I've been wrong before.
What schools qualify for the new GI bill? Do Thai language schools qualify? Or would I have to go to a university to qualify for the BAH?

AFAIK, online schools in the US don't qualify for the BAH. Has to be a B&M school.

Also, the highest BAH rate is SanFran or NYC. NYC is like 2750 a month BAH. And you are right, E5+dependent pay.
onetam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #10733
Margin Of Error
banned
 
Margin Of Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,476
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

2 quick questions

where can i buy a sim card for an unlocked iphone in phuket?

Good place to rent a motorbike in phuket? Anything to watch out for?


Thx in advance
Margin Of Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #10734
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

for the sim card any 7/11 will do. I recommend 12CALL, but I'm sure all the networks are similar.
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #10735
raze
Pooh-Bah
 
raze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,540
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I am staying on Ekkamai in BKK. Can anyone let me know where to buy boxing gear in this area, whether it's a gym or a retail spot? I need to pick up a heavy bag, gloves, and hand pads.
raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #10736
FoldEqu1ty
Pooh-Bah
 
FoldEqu1ty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NOBODY NOBODY BUT YOU!!!
Posts: 5,747
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raze View Post
I am staying on Ekkamai in BKK. Can anyone let me know where to buy boxing gear in this area, whether it's a gym or a retail spot? I need to pick up a heavy bag, gloves, and hand pads.
Pfffft why bother with buying equipment when real-life girls are so cheap here

Last edited by FoldEqu1ty; 02-07-2010 at 07:56 AM.
FoldEqu1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #10737
raze
Pooh-Bah
 
raze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,540
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldEqu1ty View Post
Pfffft why bother when the girls are so cheap here....
I got mugged by a gang of katooeys last night... no more 97lb weakling.
raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #10738
Margin Of Error
banned
 
Margin Of Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,476
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raze View Post
I got mugged by a gang of katooeys last night... no more 97lb weakling.
Lol. Lemme know next time so i can bring my camera.
Margin Of Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #10739
FoldEqu1ty
Pooh-Bah
 
FoldEqu1ty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NOBODY NOBODY BUT YOU!!!
Posts: 5,747
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raze View Post
I got mugged by a gang of katooeys last night... no more 97lb weakling.
Double meaning in my post before, clarified now. How can such a terrible joke be so standard/common LOL?

i.e. What do you tell a girl with two black eyes?
Spoiler:
FoldEqu1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #10740
plowking2010
old hand
 
plowking2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,444
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

roughly how many 2+2ers live in grind houses in Phuket? And how high is the turn-over rate? Will it be relatively easy to join up with a grind house on short notice... or is this something i should start planning 6 months in advance? Or am i better off finding other people who also plan to move out there and set up my own grind house with a new group of people heading over there?
plowking2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #10741
Margin Of Error
banned
 
Margin Of Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,476
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

So i went to 711 and bought a 12 call sim card, however my phone shars zero bars and i cant make any calls? Do i need to activate it or something?
Margin Of Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #10742
moobaa
old hand
 
moobaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: comeback
Posts: 1,791
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

it has english manual
moobaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #10743
Margin Of Error
banned
 
Margin Of Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,476
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evigt_Drabbad View Post
it has english manual
Yeah but it says no service available and im not sure if thats cause its not activated or there is just no service in patong?
Margin Of Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #10744
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking2010 View Post
roughly how many 2+2ers live in grind houses in Phuket? And how high is the turn-over rate? Will it be relatively easy to join up with a grind house on short notice... or is this something i should start planning 6 months in advance? Or am i better off finding other people who also plan to move out there and set up my own grind house with a new group of people heading over there?
i dont think there are any "grind houses". everyone has just found their own places or live in small groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margin Of Error View Post
Yeah but it says no service available and im not sure if thats cause its not activated or there is just no service in patong?
lol there is service in patong. i think you just need to activate it. there should be instructions there somewhere. if you dont know how to do it just go back to the seven or some mobile shop and ask them to do it for you (and tip them a bit for it if you want)
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #10745
plowking2010
old hand
 
plowking2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,444
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
i dont think there are any "grind houses". everyone has just found their own places or live in small groups
ya... by grind house i just meant a house with 3-6 online poker players living there.
plowking2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #10746
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking2010 View Post
ya... by grind house i just meant a house with 3-6 online poker players living there.
most of the people live alone (or with their ladies). there is one limidonk community that share a bigger house.

so by your definition 1
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #10747
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
most of the people live alone (or with their ladies). there is one limidonk community that share a bigger house.

so by your definition 1
2 counting the dutch/hungarian house.... but neither one of the houses really rotates people they don't know into the mix
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #10748
subandi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
subandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: working
Posts: 6,848
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

are there any german speaking players around or are the only germans the sex tourists?
subandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #10749
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subandi View Post
are there any german speaking players around or are the only germans the sex tourists?
Quick! Before Ze Germanz Get here!
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #10750
subandi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
subandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: working
Posts: 6,848
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I know why Im leaving this country, Im first in line when it comes to badmouthing them

Last edited by subandi; 02-07-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: otoh its still the language I think in, so..
subandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive