Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #10301
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

but +1000 on the wearing helmet. MANY posters here don't use one and it amazes me why they don't care about themselves that much.

Feels like people think there are on a godmode while they are in thailand
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #10302
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

i fell asleep while driving my motorbike, and I still haven't been in an accident....
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #10303
PokerSpiv
banned
 
PokerSpiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lamai, Ko Samui
Posts: 5,775
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
sure it's different and much more dangerous than some western countries but after you get used to it it's ok
Not sure what getting used to it has to do with anything.

Last time I was in Pattaya I was walking on the footpath next to beach road, a carload of drunk thais with a drunk driver mounted the kerb and almost ran me over, I had to dive off the footpath onto the grass to avoid them hitting me.

This was at lunchtime btw.
PokerSpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #10304
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSpiv View Post
Not sure what getting used to it has to do with anything.

Last time I was in Pattaya I was walking on the footpath next to beach road, a carload of drunk thais with a drunk driver mounted the kerb and almost ran me over, I had to dive off the footpath onto the grass to avoid them hitting me.

This was at lunchtime btw.
well you're australian, i am finnish. in finland we drive on the right side. that's one thing to get used to.

also in thailand it seems the usable road is anywhere where there is pavement. in finland you pretty much have to stick to your lane.

here people run the red lights more often than in finland.

there are much less bikes in finnish roads. there might be a car passing another car coming towards you and will use your lane and make you sometimes off the road. that wouldn't happen in finland (or would be very rare)
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #10305
Fletcher19
Pooh-Bah
 
Fletcher19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: still the same,just got more fierce
Posts: 4,131
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

In Thailand, you drive bike. In Soviet Russia, bike drives you. :P
Fletcher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #10306
thomas.t
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 439
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSpiv View Post
Not sure what getting used to it has to do with anything.

Last time I was in Pattaya I was walking on the footpath next to beach road, a carload of drunk thais with a drunk driver mounted the kerb and almost ran me over, I had to dive off the footpath onto the grass to avoid them hitting me.

This was at lunchtime btw.
Getting used to it has very much to do with it. Cause then you have a much better idea of what to expect from other drivers.
thomas.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #10307
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.t View Post
Getting used to it has very much to do with it. Cause then you have a much better idea of what to expect from other drivers.
ty
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #10308
subandi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
subandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: working
Posts: 6,848
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

what about medical insurancy?

I am looking at some germany based "international health insurancies"

which are about $100-$150 is this standard/fair price?

or should I look further into truly international (or even thai? guess not) ones?
subandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #10309
Lito
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

anyone know which airlines we can choose from when leaving Thailand for vietnam? Or if its much cheaper tickets to Cambodia or Laos we might go with that.

Need a ticket out of Thailand because of the visa renewel, so we have to be able to order online and get the receipt by mail.

thanks!
Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #10310
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subandi View Post
what about medical insurancy?

I am looking at some germany based "international health insurancies"

which are about $100-$150 is this standard/fair price?

or should I look further into truly international (or even thai? guess not) ones?
$100 for how long? if they say a year it might still only cover only like 90 days of consecutive stay. I got mine from finland, needed it twice and got everything back both times. first 90 days were like 60 euros and 9 months extension was 390 euros or something like that so a little over a euro per day for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lito View Post
anyone know which airlines we can choose from when leaving Thailand for vietnam? Or if its much cheaper tickets to Cambodia or Laos we might go with that.

Need a ticket out of Thailand because of the visa renewel, so we have to be able to order online and get the receipt by mail.

thanks!
try airasia.com
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #10311
subandi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
subandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: working
Posts: 6,848
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
$100 for how long? if they say a year it might still only cover only like 90 days of consecutive stay. I got mine from finland, needed it twice and got everything back both times. first 90 days were like 60 euros and 9 months extension was 390 euros or something like that so a little over a euro per day for a year.
60-110€ a month for up to 5 years but I can stay as long as I want.

so more like 3€ a day which is still not much ofc..
I would have to always pay the first 25€ of any case myself
but I think thats ok also, when I really need it I dont care about 25€

cheaper ones only have x consecutive days in a row, like you said.
subandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #10312
Slappz
old hand
 
Slappz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chiang Mai
Posts: 1,449
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
yea -1000

one of the best things about thailand is being able to drive around with motorbike. i dunno about pattaya but phuket's traffic is not that bad. sure it's different and much more dangerous than some western countries but after you get used to it it's ok
-1000 a bit harsh Lessu?!

Motorbikes are death traps, no amount of training will avoid that fact. So many accidents are out of your control and the bikes provide 0 protection.
Slappz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #10313
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappz View Post
-1000 a bit harsh Lessu?!

Motorbikes are death traps, no amount of training will avoid that fact. So many accidents are out of your control and the bikes provide 0 protection.
i still think your way overestimating the danger. sure their not as safe as cars, but your odds of getting badly injured or killed are ridiculously low if you're careful and don't suck at driving.

i know 15 - 20 2p2ers who lived in phuket for 6mo+. almost all of them drove motorbikes, most drove at least once (usually much more) drunk, and the majority drove pretty recklessly on busy streets sober. i don't nobody died, 1 guy broke his leg (while wasted), I had a few stiches (while drunk), quite a few people got road rash, and 1 guy ****ed up his hand sober when a picked banged into the side of his bike. maybe my idea of dangerous is skewed, but that doesn't seem too bad to me.

that doesn't even include the countless other 2p2ers i haven't met that haven't been killed.

deathtraps - no. drunken injury traps - yes. roadrash traps - of course.
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #10314
slipp3ry333
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 469
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreech26 View Post
maybe my idea of dangerous is skewed
In the UK the emergency nurses I know that work in A&E have a nickname for motorcyclists - organ donors.

That's with a relatively good emergency hospital treatment and care system in place.
slipp3ry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #10315
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

well that cliche statement settles that
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #10316
slipp3ry333
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 469
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreech26 View Post
well that cliche statement settles that
Might be a cliche but I've been told it by people who have to deal with it day in day out.

Glad it's settled but to be sure I think you should go ride around on a motorbike all day every day for a couple of months to test out the theory.
slipp3ry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #10317
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I've driven over 18,000km on a motorbike in Thailand now in two years and had two minor accidents - both due to me being wasted or xanax'ed out. I think if you drive carefully enough your risk of accident is low (touch wood, obv)

fwiw Phuket seems waay more dangerous than Chiang Mai for driving, and I wouldn't even think of getting on a motorbike in BKK.
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #10318
MyironThumb
Pooh-Bah
 
MyironThumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,383
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

On another note I've been in CM 9 months now and not even seen 1 traffic accident (apart from Virge + nutsflopper showing off their amazing bike skillz, 555) where as in Phuket I would see as many as 3-4(!!) accidents or aftermath of accidents in 1 day. The amount of terrible driving that happens on that Island is just ridiculous. Deff be careful driving the busy roads in Phuket.
MyironThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #10319
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipp3ry333 View Post
Might be a cliche but I've been told it by people who have to deal with it day in day out.

Glad it's settled but to be sure I think you should go ride around on a motorbike all day every day for a couple of months to test out the theory.
ha no problem there. be sure keep yourself boarded up in your room safe from all the horrifying dangers of the outside world
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #10320
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

LOL

Bullets
Knives
Bombs
Torpedos
Nuclear Radiation
Fists
Bottles
Teh Hep!

Have all tried to kill me and I've survived.

If a MB is going to get me...so be it.

My money is on the cigarettes getting me in the end Long after I have survived another 100k KM on a MB.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #10321
cracker9521
grinder
 
cracker9521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 475
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

It seems to me even though thais do some stuff we consider crazy they are all aware that everyone is doing crazy **** so there is like a heightened sense of awareness on the roads. I fear the soccer moms driving their suv's while on their cellphone or putting on makeup back in the US a lot more than I do riding a motorbike here in Phuket. With that being said the people that choose to ride w/out a helmet are freaking insane.
cracker9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #10322
kikadell
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,020
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipp3ry333 View Post
Might be a cliche but I've been told it by people who have to deal with it day in day out.

Glad it's settled but to be sure I think you should go ride around on a motorbike all day every day for a couple of months to test out the theory.
the people you're talking too see a lot of accident victims because they work in a place where all the people in accidents get taken too, so their pov is skewed

ducy?
kikadell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #10323
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker9521 View Post
It seems to me even though thais do some stuff we consider crazy they are all aware that everyone is doing crazy **** so there is like a heightened sense of awareness on the roads. I fear the soccer moms driving their suv's while on their cellphone or putting on makeup back in the US a lot more than I do riding a motorbike here in Phuket. With that being said the people that choose to ride w/out a helmet are freaking insane.
yeah this is definitely true. thais in 4wheel vehicles have a 6th sense when it comes to motorbikes
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #10324
slipp3ry333
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 469
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikadell View Post
the people you're talking too see a lot of accident victims because they work in a place where all the people in accidents get taken too, so their pov is skewed

ducy?
WOW.

This is possibly the dumbest post of all 2010 and it's only January. Bravo sir!

[ ] Is not obvious point.
[ ] Is not taken into account.
[ ] Is the main point.

ducy?
slipp3ry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #10325
dannyr
adept
 
dannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 734
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

couse its always the cars fault in an accident, its almost worse driving a car sometimes(although safer) couse they always tailgate, never blink and do some superstupid in a curve attempts at passing. nothing like having a pickup coming towards you in your lane and blinking at you for you to drive on the far left side so he can drive in his made up 3rd middle lane.
dannyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive