Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #9301
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

cdma doesn't work in bangkok nor in taiwan if he is planning on staying there
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #9302
igetjokes
old hand
 
igetjokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ko Samui, Thailand
Posts: 1,226
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGod View Post
i would reconsider your vacation plans if you value your safety, thailand is the 8th most dangerous country in the world (for americans).
Americans generally aren't happy unless they have something to be afraid of.
igetjokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #9303
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igetjokes View Post
Americans generally aren't happy unless they have something to be afraid of.
lol@ associating this tool with americans in general.
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #9304
NewTeaBag
banned
 
NewTeaBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ผสม FTW!
Posts: 6,249
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSpiv View Post
It's not really civil war since the army picked sides a long time ago. What there has been is a bit of a military dictatorship since Thaksin was ousted, with the military installing a regime that wasn't really popular with either the left or the right.

Basically the King holds absolute power at the moment and has done since Thaksin went busto. When the king dies? That's when the real civil war will start, and when you might *actually* want to leave the country for a while.
This is a highly superficial analysis of the situation.

The army "being on a specific side" is not a determiner whether a civil war is underway.

The King is higlhy respected and loved by the nation but does not hold as much ACTUAL power as many think.

I do agree that when the king passes there is going to be some mighty upheaval.
NewTeaBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #9305
player bets
banned
 
player bets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangrock
Posts: 420
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeaBag View Post
This is a highly superficial analysis of the situation.

The army "being on a specific side" is not a determiner whether a civil war is underway.

The King is higlhy respected and loved by the nation but does not hold as much ACTUAL power as many think.

I do agree that when the king passes there is going to be some mighty upheaval.
Lon should know as he is same same thai person when and if something like
this happens..which something will...ill be at scratch dog doing the funky chicken. sorry for my lack of seriousness but i guess im being serious happy thanksgiving yallzzzz
player bets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #9306
LuckyfishZ
veteran
 
LuckyfishZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,361
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Would 3k US/ month give me a baller life in Thailand?
LuckyfishZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #9307
OTL
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,693
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyfishZ View Post
Would 3k US/ month give me a baller life in Thailand?
Not mega baller but you could live very comfortably. We will return the favor and take you to the closest thing Thailand has to a booking club if you come Damn I need to go back to Seoul.
OTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #9308
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

3k lives very comfortably, not super baller
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #9309
LuckyfishZ
veteran
 
LuckyfishZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,361
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTL View Post
Not mega baller but you could live very comfortably. We will return the favor and take you to the closest thing Thailand has to a booking club if you come Damn I need to go back to Seoul.
cool. You guys grinding in Thailands still? How long u guys gonna be there for? Are you with the same people when we met? Didn't think Thailand had a bookingclub
LuckyfishZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #9310
OTL
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,693
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyfishZ View Post
cool. You guys grinding in Thailands still? How long u guys gonna be there for? Are you with the same people when we met? Didn't think Thailand had a bookingclub
I'm going home for xmas but will be back Jan 19th. The other guys are still here or planning to return in about a month. You should come for a few months over the winter. Thailand doesn't have booking clubs but there are lots of hostess type places with karaoke and private rooms that has a sort of similar feel. That night at the booking club was one of my favorite nights out ever
OTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #9311
LuckyfishZ
veteran
 
LuckyfishZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,361
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTL View Post
I'm going home for xmas but will be back Jan 19th. The other guys are still here or planning to return in about a month. You should come for a few months over the winter. Thailand doesn't have booking clubs but there are lots of hostess type places with karaoke and private rooms that has a sort of similar feel. That night at the booking club was one of my favorite nights out ever
I really wish I could go to Thailand but I have to write a NY bar exam next year Feburary . If you guys are still there by then, I will seriously consider going.
LuckyfishZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #9312
hammer_time
veteran
 
hammer_time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,791
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

I want to stay in Thailand for 2 months in a single bedroom appartment (not sharing) with internet and in a safe, nice area. How much would a decent single bedroom appartment cost in dollars per month? With a kitchen, shower, furnished etc, nothing super balla, just the basics.

Thanks.
hammer_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #9313
Jigsaws
Pooh-Bah
 
Jigsaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NL
Posts: 5,178
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer_time View Post
I want to stay in Thailand for 2 months in a single bedroom appartment (not sharing) with internet and in a safe, nice area. How much would a decent single bedroom appartment cost in dollars per month? With a kitchen, shower, furnished etc, nothing super balla, just the basics.

Thanks.
www.mrroomfinder.com
en.9apartment.com

Because you're looking for a 2-month contract you'll most likely need to get a serviced apartment, which drives up the price somewhat. I would probably try and find something for a maximum of ~600 usd (20k baht), though if you look around you should be able to find places for less.
Jigsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #9314
hammer_time
veteran
 
hammer_time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,791
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Thanks. That first website is excellent.
hammer_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #9315
85off
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,536
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

dumb question -- im in a lease in sd for a few more months, but wanted to take a month long vacation in jan or feb.. what price am i lookin at for a hotel per night, perferably with internet. the apt i see im assumin i cant do 1 month, even if i offer alittle more--or the name of a good hotel-- thanks
85off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #9316
Acombfosho
banned
 
Acombfosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: chiang mai
Posts: 1,021
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

regarding the day to day stuff like doing the washing, dishes, cleaning the house, buying food in at shops etc, how much would it cost to get a good and reliable maid to take of all of this stuff?
Acombfosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #9317
acehole60
old hand
 
acehole60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Losing at Omahaha
Posts: 1,575
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Hi guys.

I'm contemplating spending a month or two in Thailand during the winter. It'll be a mixture of vacation and poker grinding. I might meet up with a friend and travel for a week or two too.
Should I look into getting an appartment or is a hotel room better when I'm "only" staying there for a month or two? How much would it cost?
Where would you recommend me going? The most important things for me are nice beaches and internet connectivity.


Just skimmed the thread and I'll be looking here: www.mrroomfinder.com
acehole60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #9318
Dire
banned
 
Dire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: wasting less time
Posts: 8,581
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer_time View Post
I want to stay in Thailand for 2 months in a single bedroom appartment (not sharing) with internet and in a safe, nice area. How much would a decent single bedroom appartment cost in dollars per month? With a kitchen, shower, furnished etc, nothing super balla, just the basics.

Thanks.
IME, kitchens are definitely not standard. And pretty much everywhere in Thailand is 'safe'. At least not in the sense that there's no places such as in the US where you'd be a fool to walk (or even drive) through at night. I'd guess the biggest danger is probably the militant muslims in the south. Can I get a **** religion?
Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #9319
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole60 View Post
Hi guys.

I'm contemplating spending a month or two in Thailand during the winter. It'll be a mixture of vacation and poker grinding. I might meet up with a friend and travel for a week or two too.
Should I look into getting an appartment or is a hotel room better when I'm "only" staying there for a month or two? How much would it cost?
Where would you recommend me going? The most important things for me are nice beaches and internet connectivity.


Just skimmed the thread and I'll be looking here: www.mrroomfinder.com
From the bigger places I have been Bangkok and Chiang Mai don't have beaches. I haven't been to Pattaya but everyone says the beaches there are not nice.

Phuket is always a safe bet with the beaches. There are many many nice beaches and the scenery is nice otherwise too

You can always get CDMA for internet. It's not the most practical solution for you since you are only staying for couple of months since it is a bit expensive to buy (the model they sell atm costs 6500 baht (~130euros/$195). good news is that the first 3 months are free(normally monthly cost is 845baht, dunno how long this promo is alive). i dont know if that's too much to spend for you just for internet if you cant sell the stick after your holiday.

obviously you can get some apartment or house with adsl installed. you would just have to come here and spend the first few days looking for the places and then sign a 2-month contract. you just have to be active and/or ask help here for finding the places.

you can also use an agent but the places will be always more expensive than the ones you find yourself obviously.

the cost is pretty much up to you. you can find some basic rooms from a guesthouse from maybe 7k and after that sky is the limit. depends hugely on your budget and what you want from the place
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #9320
acehole60
old hand
 
acehole60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Losing at Omahaha
Posts: 1,575
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
From the bigger places I have been Bangkok and Chiang Mai don't have beaches. I haven't been to Pattaya but everyone says the beaches there are not nice.

Phuket is always a safe bet with the beaches. There are many many nice beaches and the scenery is nice otherwise too

You can always get CDMA for internet. It's not the most practical solution for you since you are only staying for couple of months since it is a bit expensive to buy (the model they sell atm costs 6500 baht (~130euros/$195). good news is that the first 3 months are free(normally monthly cost is 845baht, dunno how long this promo is alive). i dont know if that's too much to spend for you just for internet if you cant sell the stick after your holiday.

obviously you can get some apartment or house with adsl installed. you would just have to come here and spend the first few days looking for the places and then sign a 2-month contract. you just have to be active and/or ask help here for finding the places.

you can also use an agent but the places will be always more expensive than the ones you find yourself obviously.

the cost is pretty much up to you. you can find some basic rooms from a guesthouse from maybe 7k and after that sky is the limit. depends hugely on your budget and what you want from the place
Thank you very much, I probably should have been more specific.

I've been looking around and believe Phuket would suit me nicely.
With respect to my budget I'm very flexible. It doesn't matter if it's a tad expensive (tho I don't require any special luxury). My options would be to either hire an agent (any advice on where to get one?) or just get down there and figure things out by myself?

The internet solution you proposed seems good and not that expensive imo.
acehole60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #9321
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole60 View Post
Thank you very much, I probably should have been more specific.

I've been looking around and believe Phuket would suit me nicely.
With respect to my budget I'm very flexible. It doesn't matter if it's a tad expensive (tho I don't require any special luxury). My options would be to either hire an agent (any advice on where to get one?) or just get down there and figure things out by myself?

The internet solution you proposed seems good and not that expensive imo.
if you want to save time and dont mind the little more expensive prices from an agent i suggest you browse siamrealestate.com a little. I used them when I made my first trip to thailand with friends so that we would have a place ready when we arrived.

i'm sure there are many others too but cant suggest any

if you need help figuring out the cdma just ask here
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #9322
rutang
veteran
 
rutang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wandering
Posts: 2,640
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

what's the best spot to watch El Clásico in Patong tonight? I don't ever go to watch futbol and have no idea what the good spots are. preferably a place that stays open late so Ernesto can watch the other Madrid team's game after.
rutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:53 AM   #9323
Pinocchio
adept
 
Pinocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: balancing preflop folding ranges
Posts: 798
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
what's the best spot to watch El Clásico in Patong tonight? I don't ever go to watch futbol and have no idea what the good spots are. preferably a place that stays open late so Ernesto can watch the other Madrid team's game after.
everywhere will be showing it
Pinocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #9324
thomas.t
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 439
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

When I called the Cat Cdma internet office in Phuket they told me that there promotion would last until the last of november and that I need a working visa to be able to sign the contract.

Can anyone confirm this? I was hoping to be able to sign the contract with just a 60 day tourist visa.

Thanks!
thomas.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #9325
Pinocchio
adept
 
Pinocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: balancing preflop folding ranges
Posts: 798
Re: Ask us about Thailand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.t View Post
When I called the Cat Cdma internet office in Phuket they told me that there promotion would last until the last of november and that I need a working visa to be able to sign the contract.

Can anyone confirm this? I was hoping to be able to sign the contract with just a 60 day tourist visa.

Thanks!
cant you just get a thai person to sign?
Pinocchio is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive