Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #6276
ellys
grinder
 
ellys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 438
Re: Thailand returns

let slip the dogs of war, resident loungers up in the sky care not!
ellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 AM   #6277
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Thailand returns

lol
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #6278
allurit
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,779
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by themandude View Post
I would like to hear any stories of 2+2er catching stds while over there.
std's are illegal in thailand
allurit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #6279
Brokerstar
grinder
 
Brokerstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 507
Re: Thailand returns

Hey guys

I'm moving to Samui for a year next month. I lived there a few years back when I was a full time Thaiboxer but alas I'm a fat boy, poker player now.

So I'm more interested in the internet. When I was there before you had to pay for a certain amount of internet time.

Can you just get monthly internet and use it as much as you like for a flat rate?
Brokerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #6280
Gigi
centurion
 
Gigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 181
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerstar View Post
Hey guys

I'm moving to Samui for a year next month. I lived there a few years back when I was a full time Thaiboxer but alas I'm a fat boy, poker player now.

So I'm more interested in the internet. When I was there before you had to pay for a certain amount of internet time.

Can you just get monthly internet and use it as much as you like for a flat rate?
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...33&postcount=9
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #6281
Brokerstar
grinder
 
Brokerstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 507
Re: Thailand returns

Hi thanks for that.

I used the WiFi last time I was in Lamai (about a year ago) and found that I had a hard time staying conected.

I wondered what hard wire options may be available, maybe the signal is better now, I'll give it a try for sure, just wondered what most players out there were doing about the internet connection?

They still located in that flash building just off the ring road? and do you still have to actuallt go in and buy your top up vouchers?
Brokerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #6282
Chaom1
enthusiast
 
Chaom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: estonia
Posts: 96
Re: Thailand returns

Hey

I need to find people to fill the rooms in my apartment on sukhumvit soi 15 (bangkok). I rented the apartment for 1 year but now seems like my life is mostly going to be in china.
So I would really like to write the ownership on someone elses name. And that someone can do the same later, when plans change.
Anyways the apartment has 3 bedrooms, is 250+m2, baller and in a good area where everything you need is close.
One month rent is 60k baht +direct line internet, +maid, +electricity.

In march 2 rooms will be empty, if you only want to get one room for short period, then I ask 1k baht per day, what is a really good price for the area and for this kind of apartment.

The apartment house is called "Shiva Towers"
And btw most of the US embassy workers live also here.

oh and btw, there is a pool, gym and squash court in the building...

Here are the pictures:
http://web.zone.ee/chaom1/apartment/


Who is interested, can contact me or kevin, ryu, korea...


Heiko

Last edited by Chaom1; 02-28-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Chaom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #6283
dardo
old hand
 
dardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: swimming around
Posts: 1,614
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerstar View Post
Hi thanks for that.

I used the WiFi last time I was in Lamai (about a year ago) and found that I had a hard time staying conected.

I wondered what hard wire options may be available, maybe the signal is better now, I'll give it a try for sure, just wondered what most players out there were doing about the internet connection?

They still located in that flash building just off the ring road? and do you still have to actuallt go in and buy your top up vouchers?
Hi. I'm actually living at Lamai, and stopped using the wifi provider because it didn't work well. I'm using a standard DSL connection at my house and last 2 months has been very reliable.

Maybe as Gigi says, at Chaweng is different.
dardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #6284
FinishEmOff
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Learning to play NLHoldem
Posts: 11
Re: Thailand returns

How easy is it to get a DSL line set up?

Or just rent a small place with DSL internet already. I'm may look into some kind of signal booster if all else fails.

I'm looking to stay in Phuket in May and am keen to know about the internet options.

Last edited by FinishEmOff; 03-01-2009 at 07:57 PM.
FinishEmOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #6285
gam(m/b)ler
centurion
 
gam(m/b)ler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 162
Re: Thailand returns

hey everyone!

me and two friends want to live in thailand for a while. i have some questions and hope you can answer them. I'm sorry if some have allready been asked but this thread is so long and i didn't read everything.

we plan on rentig a house somewhere in phuket for 6-12 months(<80k thb / month) and want to be as close as possible to the beach and to some clubs or bars. i was thinking patong would be the best choice. do you recommend anything else?

it seems like most of the houses within our budget are not in walking distance to either the beach or the center of town. how do you guys get around? If we go out we're propably gonna be ridiculousely drunk so renting a car or a motorscooter is not really an option lol. are there any cabs?

well, i appreciate any advice. maybe you can tell me what you would do differently if you would be planning your stay again.
I hope well have some beer with some of you guys soon! lol
btw how much is a beer in a bar?

Thanks
gam(m/b)ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #6286
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam(m/b)ler View Post
we plan on rentig a house somewhere in phuket for 6-12 months(<80k thb / month) and want to be as close as possible to the beach and to some clubs or bars. i was thinking patong would be the best choice. do you recommend anything else?
If you are coming for that long I would just book a hotel etc for the first few weeks or the first month and then look around where you might want to stay. Have you been in Phuket before? If yes and you still want to live in Patong a whole year I would stop reading this response now

If you havent been in phuket yet then patong might sound like the number one place but really it is just a tourist center where you will go a lot in the beginning and later avoid it if possible. this just in my opinion and regarding only where to get your permanent residence from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam(m/b)ler View Post
it seems like most of the houses within our budget are not in walking distance to either the beach or the center of town. how do you guys get around? If we go out we're propably gonna be ridiculousely drunk so renting a car or a motorscooter is not really an option lol. are there any cabs?
You will get a scooter after 2 weeks tops whatever you might think now. You dont have to use it when you go out obviously: There are tuktuk's and taxis(not metered) that are overpriced but because tourists use them and they are controlled by the tuktuk mafia they are not going anywhere. metered taxis are only available from airport and they cant pick up customers from anywhere else. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam(m/b)ler View Post
well, i appreciate any advice. maybe you can tell me what you would do differently if you would be planning your stay again.
I hope well have some beer with some of you guys soon! lol
btw how much is a beer in a bar?

Thanks
Good that you are thinking this way. I would have done a lot of things different if I could do it all over again.

Repeating myself a little but I think it is important: If I were you I would come here, stay at a hotel at the beginning, browse Phuket through and only after that decide where you want your headquarters to be. Dont book any houses because you saw nice pictures on a english website. Every picture lies more than they give you information. You usually find best house deals from word of mouth (from fellow 2+2'ers ldo) or just driving around looking for houses for rent and since it is almost low season there will be plenty.

some random things: 80k is more than enough to rent a nice 2 bedroom place. even if you get a nice place you wont be spending that much. beer(small singha for example) in bars is from somewhere around 60 baht to 120 (roughly $2-$4) depending on type of bar and its location.

when are you coming? welcome anyways!
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #6287
Brokerstar
grinder
 
Brokerstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 507
Re: Thailand returns

I lived in Samui before and was going to do it again as I always thought Phuket was going to be a lot more expensive.

Then I came accross this website http://www.houseinphuket.com/houses/LTR/
and it seems that the rates here are unreal compared to most of what I've seen on offer in Samui.

It'll be great to meet other 2+2ers I'm either considering a place on my own for 20 - 30,000 ish per month or would like to consider living with other poker players in somewhere a bit more flash.

Broker
Brokerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #6288
Brokerstar
grinder
 
Brokerstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 507
Re: Thailand returns

I've looked everywhere for a similar site that has long term properites like this but in Samui.

Does anyone know of any such site, that google can't find? Would it be easier to drive around Samui to find places? and if so does anyone have any recomendations?

Broker
Brokerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #6289
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Thailand returns

count down to mcglashen coming home

5
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #6290
gam(m/b)ler
centurion
 
gam(m/b)ler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 162
Re: Thailand returns

Thanks for the great reply lessu!

we're just starting to plan everything and will get there somewhere from juli-september I guess. none of us have ever been to thailand and it definitely sounds reasonable to just rent a hotel for the first few weeks...i just thought it would be great if we got there and everything was allready organized.

enjoy your stay...i can't wait to get there
gam(m/b)ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #6291
dardo
old hand
 
dardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: swimming around
Posts: 1,614
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerstar View Post
I've looked everywhere for a similar site that has long term properites like this but in Samui.

Does anyone know of any such site, that google can't find? Would it be easier to drive around Samui to find places? and if so does anyone have any recomendations?

Broker
For 10K baths a month you can find a nice place to live at Samui. I think you can find it easily in 2-3 days looking around and asking a little.

For 15K baths you can start finding semi-baller places. So it's just very cheap.
dardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #6292
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Thailand returns

where can i buy a dvd player in bkk that plays north american dvds?
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #6293
EmpireMaker2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
EmpireMaker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Epic Burial
Posts: 9,445
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreech26 View Post
where can i buy a dvd player in bkk that plays north american dvds?
My room bwahahahaha
EmpireMaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #6294
yop
grinder
 
yop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PLO addict
Posts: 472
Re: Thailand returns

Broker,
A few months ago I was considering going living in Koh samui for a few months, and could also not really find any good results about long term rentals there.
But it should be definitly possible, this 2p2er https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/54...ar-lol-396670/ managed to find a really splendid house.
Apparently it was a short term rental that he negociated to rent for a few months ( http://www.johnsgardenresort.com/ ) for not that expensive considering how beautiful the house is (1250$/month). Edit : did not see dardo's post, so maybe it's quite expensive for the island!

Anyway I have changed my mind since... Having been to Phuket for a few days during a vacation, I didn't really like the place even though the nightlife was pretty cool. But I only stayed in Patong and the island seems to have a lot more to offer. I discover recently that there are even kiting, windsurfing or surfing spots there, which is great!
Also, the biggest problem for me with Koh Samui is the island's airport monopoly with Thai Airways which is not good at all to make short trips in nearby countries like I plan to do. No Air Asia flights landing there, sadly...

So I'll be coming in Phuket around may (unfortunatly after the windy season), and as Lessu suggest, stay in a hotel until I can find a decent place for me (~30KTHB), preferably in the south near the cool beaches and surf/windsurf spots, but maybe somewhere else? I also would not mind sharing a house with other poker players...
yop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #6295
Lessu
Thailand Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finn Land
Posts: 9,064
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop View Post
But I only stayed in Patong and the island seems to have a lot more to offer.
yes it has..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop View Post
Also, the biggest problem for me with Koh Samui is the island's airport monopoly with Thai Airways which is not good at all to make short trips in nearby countries like I plan to do. No Air Asia flights landing there, sadly...
when u say samui do you mean surat thani's airport (URT) or does the island have its own airport? i know surat thani is near samui but not sure how many airports are there. airasia flies to surat thani anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop View Post
So I'll be coming in Phuket around may (unfortunatly after the windy season), and as Lessu suggest, stay in a hotel until I can find a decent place for me (~30KTHB), preferably in the south near the cool beaches and surf/windsurf spots, but maybe somewhere else? I also would not mind sharing a house with other poker players...
a lot of people stay in kata/karon area ja i just moved to rawai. there were/are some people in chalong/rawai too. close to nai harn beach which is my favorite here
Lessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #6296
Roger Mainfield
Big Raaaaaaj
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chattering
Posts: 5,201
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreech26 View Post
where can i buy a dvd player in bkk that plays north american dvds?
There are specific DVD players where you can change the region, I have the feeling though that if you don't find those you could be out of luck. Regions are gay.
Roger Mainfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #6297
yop
grinder
 
yop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PLO addict
Posts: 472
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessu View Post
when u say samui do you mean surat thani's airport (URT) or does the island have its own airport? i know surat thani is near samui but not sure how many airports are there. airasia flies to surat thani anyways
Yes samui has its own airport just for thai airways. I didn't know there was another one in surat thani. But it's like a 3 hours+ ride from the island to the airport and there's only one flight/day for BKK only, not so great...
yop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #6298
julienheadley
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 88
Re: Thailand returns

What are people doing about visas? I went to immigration today for a *7 day* extension, and I hear visa runs are only netting 15 days. Any solutions?
julienheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #6299
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mainfield View Post
There are specific DVD players where you can change the region, I have the feeling though that if you don't find those you could be out of luck. Regions are gay.
yeah no kidding. its especially tilting because my 60baht piece of crap im only buying this because its lol 60baht even though its gonna be the biggest waste of 2hrs of my life bootlegged dvds work fine in every ****ing country, but the actual entertaining dvds i pay full price for at home don't. **** copyright laws!

Quote:
a lot of people stay in kata/karon area ja i just moved to rawai. there were/are some people in chalong/rawai too. close to nai harn beach which is my favorite here
nai harn beach is definitely my favorite too. i'd still rather live in kata/karon though. it's more central, has better restaurants and the jungle drive to nai harn is super cool.

Btw empire, you friends from Karafun were out in full force again last night. I think they have us all tricked into thinking they are providing a service for us when in fact all the do is drink our liquor and smoke our hookahs.
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #6300
HotPockets
grinder
 
HotPockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jack King Off
Posts: 632
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreech26 View Post
where can i buy a dvd player in bkk that plays north american dvds?
im fairly certain you could buy almost ANYTHING at MBK
HotPockets is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive