Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #3401
Fletcher19
Pooh-Bah
 
Fletcher19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: still the same,just got more fierce
Posts: 4,131
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreech26 View Post
Hey Baba, nice gimmick. What happened to your other account?

I agree with most of this except:

1) skipping the bad food/hygeine - I've eaten nothing but great food and haven't had experience with unhygeinic ppl. Obviously I'm balling out of control by eating $5 meals.

2) most ATMs are in heavy populated areas. I would hardly call it stressful taking out money unless it's late at night.

3) yeah, the police are ****ed. but you make it seem a lot wore than it is. if they help you out with a case and you get x amount of baht, they will ask for a percentage for their commissioner (if you are who I think you are then you know this). but then you can get the commissioners phone number and he will help you get out of some jams if need be.....i think. anyway, my dealings with the police have been nothing but pleasant. as long as you don't get in too much trouble, they are very kind and helpful and one even gave me a discount on my fine (even though I was too dumb to give him some of the discount back as a kind gesture).

4) most farang driving motorbikes that have crashed are usually hammered and have almost no experience driving them and driving on the roads of phuket. aside from the recent muggings which are limited to a small section of phuket very late at night, I think driving in the daytime is more dangerous than driving home at night a little buzzed. the roads are wide open and there's nothing to crash into. if you're careful and know how to drive a motorbike, i don't think it's that dangerous at all. the people driving cars here are far more aware of bikes then anywhere I've been in the west.


I'm just nitpicking and agree with most of what you said. You forgot ot mention the crazy thai women though!
LIES!
Fletcher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #3402
Pumpui
banned
 
Pumpui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phuket, Thailand
Posts: 1,517
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaBobo View Post
Before you all pack your bags and leave your home and go to "Paradise" you should probably realize that there is a flipside to the coin. It's not all beaches, cheap beers and hot girls.

Like some people mentioned this IS a 3rd world country and that includes some not so appealing stuff too (I will skip the bad hygiene, rotten food/water and illness stuff):

People are poor (especially in off-season which it currently is) and even "good people" can get desperate in these times.
This includes but not limited to burglaries and robberies which often includes knives, guns and even machetes. These people WILL kill you for 20$
if you don't do as they want and/or they are too messed up on "mad medicine" (yabah) to give a crap.
There have been cases of people shooting people driving home on their motorbikes minding their own business to rob them of their petty change.
Attacks while the farang is using the ATM is also a commonly used technique. It can get stressfull constantly looking over your shoulders while withdrawing your hard earned (?) money.

Also, if the wrong kind of people spot you spewing money in a bar or club (which people reading this thread are likely to do), chances are that some day somebody will follow you when you leave. People have been beat to a pulp and threatened with a gun in these situations before.

Cab drivers are all part of the mafia. If you screw with them or they don't like you, you can get hurt really bad.
Remember, Phuket is a relatively small place. They will remember you and they WILL find you.
This of course counts not only for tuktuk people but with any Thai person you screw with on Phuket.
If you get drunk and accidently say something stupid to the wrong person you will enter a world of pain if you are unlucky.

I realize some of this stuff can happen a lot of places in the world, but remember you are far far away from home and the farang is ALWAYS at fault here. If you get in trouble with a Thai person even if he is acting stupid it IS your fault and they WILL gang up on you!
The police are currpt as well. They will try to get money from you if you get in trouble and they can **** you up if you dont oblige.
This is not as uncommon as you might think!

Driving a motorbike in the hills of Phuket is anything but safe! if you decide to go chances are you will see dead people on the roads. Typically farangs lying facedown in the concrete with a pool of blood and motorbike pieces around them. Sightings of motorbikes caught under a truck with only the pool of blood remaining since the meatwagon has already been there are typical too.
Hopefully you will not experience this yourself but it can happen even if you drive safely as the police really don't care much about drunken driving and somebody can crash into you. Also, if you happen to crash into somebodys car/motorbike or even worse, tuk-tuk and break/scratch their vehicle, you can go from having a NL1k roll to grinding alongside WCG|Rider on the NL25 tables in a matter of 1 day.

Have fun and good luck.
nice first post. wrong after wrong

not 3rd world, developing country

you are only talking about phuket, bangkok doesnt change on low season and is perfectly safe EVERYWHERE

People get robbed in rawai/nai harn because thats where all the old defenseless tourists/expat are.. south phuket is safe.

Those that got shot on their motorbike, they were all rolling alone and SLOW(i know the editor of the phuket gazette and he knows the victims)
a young 2+2'r in shape rolling at 90km/h doesnt have to be worried.

Over the hills in phuket, its mostly crazy thais that die there.
Police accepts bribes, thais cant afford it.

Law system isnt that ****ed up on self defence, and its possible for a farang to sew here, just gotta know someone who'S been living here a long time.


Nobody who lives here uses tuktuks, way too expensive and in bangkok its not the mafia... and then again nobody uses bangkok tuktuks, way too earth-unfriendly and noisy... but good luck trying to bash this country maybe some day your bashing will be accurate.
Pumpui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 AM   #3403
Pumpui
banned
 
Pumpui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phuket, Thailand
Posts: 1,517
Re: Thailand returns

oh, ya..
ive seen 4 dead bodies completely splatered on the ground with a motorbike separating limbs..
4 of them were thais going too ***** fast and still not knowing how to friggin drive a motorbike after 30years
Pumpui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #3404
Konig
journeyman
 
Konig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 306
Re: Thailand returns

I need short-term rental places for both BKK and Phuket. Something where I can fly in, rent by the month and have a solid internet connection. Preferably $1000USD or under per month.

Anyone got any leads for me?
Konig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #3405
Boysecley
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaBobo View Post
Before you all pack your bags and leave your home and go to "Paradise" you should probably realize that there is a flipside to the coin. It's not all beaches, cheap beers and hot girls.

Like some people mentioned this IS a 3rd world country and that includes some not so appealing stuff too (I will skip the bad hygiene, rotten food/water and illness stuff):

People are poor (especially in off-season which it currently is) and even "good people" can get desperate in these times.
This includes but not limited to burglaries and robberies which often includes knives, guns and even machetes. These people WILL kill you for 20$
if you don't do as they want and/or they are too messed up on "mad medicine" (yabah) to give a crap.
There have been cases of people shooting people driving home on their motorbikes minding their own business to rob them of their petty change.
Attacks while the farang is using the ATM is also a commonly used technique. It can get stressfull constantly looking over your shoulders while withdrawing your hard earned (?) money.

Also, if the wrong kind of people spot you spewing money in a bar or club (which people reading this thread are likely to do), chances are that some day somebody will follow you when you leave. People have been beat to a pulp and threatened with a gun in these situations before.

Cab drivers are all part of the mafia. If you screw with them or they don't like you, you can get hurt really bad.
Remember, Phuket is a relatively small place. They will remember you and they WILL find you.
This of course counts not only for tuktuk people but with any Thai person you screw with on Phuket.
If you get drunk and accidently say something stupid to the wrong person you will enter a world of pain if you are unlucky.

I realize some of this stuff can happen a lot of places in the world, but remember you are far far away from home and the farang is ALWAYS at fault here. If you get in trouble with a Thai person even if he is acting stupid it IS your fault and they WILL gang up on you!
The police are currpt as well. They will try to get money from you if you get in trouble and they can **** you up if you dont oblige.
This is not as uncommon as you might think!

Driving a motorbike in the hills of Phuket is anything but safe! if you decide to go chances are you will see dead people on the roads. Typically farangs lying facedown in the concrete with a pool of blood and motorbike pieces around them. Sightings of motorbikes caught under a truck with only the pool of blood remaining since the meatwagon has already been there are typical too.
Hopefully you will not experience this yourself but it can happen even if you drive safely as the police really don't care much about drunken driving and somebody can crash into you. Also, if you happen to crash into somebodys car/motorbike or even worse, tuk-tuk and break/scratch their vehicle, you can go from having a NL1k roll to grinding alongside WCG|Rider on the NL25 tables in a matter of 1 day.

Have fun and good luck.
I never post on these forums, but I just had to reply to this post.Having lived in Thailand for a few years, i have been reading this thread with interest, and I must say i am suprised that it has taken this long for a true account of life over there to given.
I lived in Bangkok and Phuket ,but i am now thankfully,safely back home in the States.Thailand may be good for a holiday, but i would not recomend any one to move there, never mind a grinder.
The fact is that Thailand is a 3rd world country and is very unsafe.I agree with pretty much all of the above post, and cant really add more.Although the post didnt mention the AIDS, malaria, snakes etc.

I can really identify with the part about being " a long long way from home" .I cant go into the specifics of the kafka-esque situation I was involved in, but believe me, you have no protection from the locals or the police.The law is a joke, as it is in most 3rd world corrupt countries .When you are faced with locals who want something from you or are drunk and high on the local amphetamine and just want to kick your ass for the hell of it, you have no rights.
The reason that i finally left was I have a european friend who works on Bangkok, and he told me the Thai gonverment had just invested in a new internet monitoring system.One of the uses of this system would be to catch westeners who are working from thailand on the internet, without a work visa.That means its game over for grinders out there. Never mind that gambling is illegal, which gives them carte blanche to extort even more money from you or add god know how many years to your already substantial prison sentence.
Visit thailand for a holiday? sure!,just make sure you stay in good resorts and travel in groups when you leave the safety of the hotel.(although i would advise not to be seen with americans as they are a big target, due to us being seen as walking ATMs by the robbers)
Move to Thailand to live? my advice is no.

B
Boysecley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #3406
ellys
grinder
 
ellys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 438
Re: Thailand returns

ellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #3407
jephavn
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 38
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysecley View Post
I never post on these forums, but I just had to reply to this post.Having lived in Thailand for a few years, i have been reading this thread with interest, and I must say i am suprised that it has taken this long for a true account of life over there to given.
I lived in Bangkok and Phuket ,but i am now thankfully,safely back home in the States.Thailand may be good for a holiday, but i would not recomend any one to move there, never mind a grinder.
The fact is that Thailand is a 3rd world country and is very unsafe.I agree with pretty much all of the above post, and cant really add more.Although the post didnt mention the AIDS, malaria, snakes etc.

I can really identify with the part about being " a long long way from home" .I cant go into the specifics of the kafka-esque situation I was involved in, but believe me, you have no protection from the locals or the police.The law is a joke, as it is in most 3rd world corrupt countries .When you are faced with locals who want something from you or are drunk and high on the local amphetamine and just want to kick your ass for the hell of it, you have no rights.
The reason that i finally left was I have a european friend who works on Bangkok, and he told me the Thai gonverment had just invested in a new internet monitoring system.One of the uses of this system would be to catch westeners who are working from thailand on the internet, without a work visa.That means its game over for grinders out there. Never mind that gambling is illegal, which gives them carte blanche to extort even more money from you or add god know how many years to your already substantial prison sentence.
Visit thailand for a holiday? sure!,just make sure you stay in good resorts and travel in groups when you leave the safety of the hotel.(although i would advise not to be seen with americans as they are a big target, due to us being seen as walking ATMs by the robbers)
Move to Thailand to live? my advice is no.

B
Holy **** dude, chill a little! You make it sound like living in a war zone, with murders, ninjas and crack addicts waiting on every corner to mug and/or infect you with AIDS.

I lived in a house on a smallish road, with my friend and me for five months. We were the only white people on that road. I only once felt insecure and that was because of an angry dog, following me and barking like mad rabies mofo.

I must say I felt very safe in Bangkok. Obv you have to adjust your behavior a little, don't piss people off. If you just act nice and aren't unlucky too meet a psycho, then it's all good.

Anyway. Pumpui **** you! I'm missing Thailand and I'm thinking about finding some cheap 'lastminut' ticket some time in October, will you still be in Phuket with the miss?
jephavn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #3408
ofdabeat
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: friggin bangkok baby
Posts: 738
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
The reason that i finally left was I have a european friend who works on Bangkok, and he told me the Thai gonverment had just invested in a new internet monitoring system.One of the uses of this system would be to catch westeners who are working from thailand on the internet, without a work visa.That means its game over for grinders
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAH

Jeppe you damn viking better be back quick!
ofdabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #3409
stankpickle
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 764
Re: Thailand returns

"chinese/japanese man in their 40 or 50s are the most disgusting"

heh i actually kind of look up to those dudes. at least they take the girls for what they are, candy. you know they have wives and kids back home and they (for the most part..imo) could really care less about the girls. they just come here with their wives turning a blind eye, get their rocks off, then head back home. the 50 year old white dudes are all divorced and looking for love with 19 year old hookers. far more pathetic.
stankpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #3410
stankpickle
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 764
Re: Thailand returns

LOL at these two 1 post trolls. if what you have to say is true, then why are so many people living here now and not reporting the majority of stuff that you say??

yes thailand can be unsafe, as anywhere can. yes it can suck and the government is corrupt. for 99% of people who come/live here though, these things don't affect their day to day lives. phuket and pattaya seem to be a bit more unsafe than other areas but i can tell you bangkok is without a doubt one of the safest big cities in the world. far safer than LA, London, Paris, NYC, Sydney, Tokyo, Manila etc.
stankpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #3412
BabaBobo
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpui View Post
People get robbed in rawai/nai harn because thats where all the old defenseless tourists/expat are.. south phuket is safe.]
.
right. a couple of kilometers away from this place its of course completely safe and nothing ever happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Those that got shot on their motorbike, they were all rolling alone and SLOW(i know the editor of the phuket gazette and he knows the victims)
a young 2+2'r in shape rolling at 90km/h doesnt have to be worried.
.
You just proved my point about getting killed in the hills driving 90km/hour
nobody ever takes a taxi home after a night out remember?
try again.

PS. being in shape is not going to help you against a gun
PPS. neither will saying "im a 2p2'er"
BabaBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #3413
stankpickle
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 764
Re: Thailand returns

"PPS. neither will saying "im a 2p2'er""

lol
stankpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #3414
stankpickle
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 764
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysecley View Post
http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/in...ch=yes&Id=6240

One person was arrested for possession 45 pills of Alprazolam (Xanax) without a prescription.

There were 116 arrests for prostitution
Interesting. I wasn't aware either of these crimes were enforced in Thailand
stankpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #3415
GIEFDORRARS
self-banned
 
GIEFDORRARS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 398
Re: Thailand returns

ok stfu troll(s)

dont let this ****** ruin the thread
GIEFDORRARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #3416
dannyr
adept
 
dannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 734
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEFDORRARS View Post
well we definately want a pool and and a bigger garden + i dont like the outside shots very much, doesnt look like a very nice area....


which areas are the most secure and quiet (not toooo far away from nightlife)?
most of the bigger villas are in small gated comunites with security.
dannyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #3417
shortstackingyo
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 565
Re: Thailand returns

i think the thai low limit grinders are in denial about the dangers over there. definitely not a safe place.
shortstackingyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #3418
schreech26
veteran
 
schreech26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chiang mai kap
Posts: 3,310
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstackingyo View Post
i think the thai low limit grinders are in denial about the dangers over there. definitely not a safe place.
I don't see what limits have to do with anything, but anyway, most people here play mid to high stakes and have been here for a while without feeling threatened. It's just like any other place in the world. As long as you're smart about things you'll be fine unless you're extremely unlucky.
schreech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #3419
K䲰䮥n
Pooh-Bah
 
K䲰䮥n's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,924
Re: Thailand returns

I'm going to Thailand with my wife for two weeks on our honeymoon. The trip will take place in early July. We're gonna spend few days in BKK and then head out to some of the islands. Any recomendations? What's the best island out there on July? Any hotel recomendations?

Things that I/she wants..
  • remote beaches
  • snorkling
  • maybe some basic scuba diving
  • good (thai) restaurants
  • maybe some live bands in the evenings
  • something real...
  • and a JACUZZI in the hotel for few nights
And the no nos
  • crowded beaches
  • drunken brits cheering for Premier League reruns
  • overly energetic nightlife
  • burger kings etc
  • constant rain
I've been to Koh Samui and liked it. Is there better place? I've heard good things about Koh Samet. Is that place cool?
K䲰䮥n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #3420
Schmitty 87
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: awaiting self-ban
Posts: 1,823
Re: Thailand returns

yeah jesus thailand is nottttt the third world. when people find out i spent some time in thailand they're like "BY YOURSELF NO WAI!" i don't think they quite get it. i'm not even close to a degenerate and i've walked around bangkok blackout at 3 am looking for a cab then passed out in the cab immediately after telling the guy where i was staying. guy just drove me back to my place, nicely woke me up when we got there. i imagine this happens daily to some of the 2+2 crowd.
Schmitty 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #3421
Schmitty 87
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: awaiting self-ban
Posts: 1,823
Re: Thailand returns

oh ya and can i ask what the deal is with tuk-tuks in bangkok? why does anyone ever take them? they're more expensive than cabs!

for example, i stayed a night on khao sahn before catching the train up to chiang mai (btw, **** trains from now on flying is the nuts). anyways, i knew that a taxi from khao sahn to hualampong costs ~50 baht. so i had my backpack and **** walking to the end of khao sahn to get a cab and obv tuk-tuks start hassling me. first guy says 200 baht. i say "lol try 40." he immediately leaves me alone. second guy says 150 baht. i say "lol try 40" he says "what you crazy? ok 100 baht." i say "nahhhh i think i'm gonna try a cab." "cab 150 baht or more! tuk-tuk only 100 baht." i say "ok 20 baht." he tells me to **** off complete with the hand and the elbow thing. i climb in a cab, tell him hualampong station, the guy turns on the meter and drives. doesn't say a word. SOOOO REFRESHING. we roll up........ 48 baht. i shipped him 200. tuk tuks suckkkkkkkkk
Schmitty 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #3422
stankpickle
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 764
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by K䲰䮥n View Post
I'm going to Thailand with my wife for two weeks on our honeymoon. The trip will take place in early July. We're gonna spend few days in BKK and then head out to some of the islands. Any recomendations? What's the best island out there on July? Any hotel recomendations?

Things that I/she wants..
  • remote beaches
  • snorkling
  • maybe some basic scuba diving
  • good (thai) restaurants
  • maybe some live bands in the evenings
  • something real...
  • and a JACUZZI in the hotel for few nights
And the no nos
  • crowded beaches
  • drunken brits cheering for Premier League reruns
  • overly energetic nightlife
  • burger kings etc
  • constant rain
I've been to Koh Samui and liked it. Is there better place? I've heard good things about Koh Samet. Is that place cool?

Samet you aren't going to find many secluded beaches but it hits on everything else pretty well. Def stay clear of Phuket (at least Patong, not sure about the rest of the island) and Samui as they appear to have much of what you are looking to avoid. I'd consider Koh Tao, which has a great dive culture and lots of privatish beaches. There is a great resort on the backside of the island called New Heaven which has a great honeymoon suite overlooking the ocean. Koh Phi Phi also strikes me as a place that would be good for a honeymoon, very beautiful island.

Unfortunately July is going to have a fair bit of rain anywhere you go. July here is not like July in Europe or the States.
stankpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #3423
zasterguava
Pooh-Bah
 
zasterguava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I'm in London
Posts: 4,416
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty 87 View Post
oh ya and can i ask what the deal is with tuk-tuks in bangkok? why does anyone ever take them? they're more expensive than cabs!

for example, i stayed a night on khao sahn before catching the train up to chiang mai (btw, **** trains from now on flying is the nuts). anyways, i knew that a taxi from khao sahn to hualampong costs ~50 baht. so i had my backpack and **** walking to the end of khao sahn to get a cab and obv tuk-tuks start hassling me. first guy says 200 baht. i say "lol try 40." he immediately leaves me alone. second guy says 150 baht. i say "lol try 40" he says "what you crazy? ok 100 baht." i say "nahhhh i think i'm gonna try a cab." "cab 150 baht or more! tuk-tuk only 100 baht." i say "ok 20 baht." he tells me to **** off complete with the hand and the elbow thing. i climb in a cab, tell him hualampong station, the guy turns on the meter and drives. doesn't say a word. SOOOO REFRESHING. we roll up........ 48 baht. i shipped him 200. tuk tuks suckkkkkkkkk

for a seemingly boring story, i enjoyed the read! I certainly can relate to being pleased with the taxi's in BK... so long as you request the meter the fairs are very cheap. whereas I got ripped off everytime I got a tuktuk.

the first tuk tuk i got was unbeknown to me only about 20 metres from Kha Son Road and I agreed on a 200baht fare and all he did was drive round to the other end of khao son road. sneaky bastard!

motorbikes ftw though
zasterguava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #3424
stankpickle
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 764
Re: Thailand returns

"we roll up........ 48 baht. i shipped him 200"

hahaha funny how we farang do so many things like this in thailand. its not about the money, its the ego. we don't care about paying them the extra $2 we just don't want to get hustled. i relaxed on this a bit and have tried to see things in absolute terms instead of relative terms (as in its only $2 not its 200% more expensive than it should be) and it makes life a little easier and less stressful
stankpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #3425
cookie
Pooh-Bah
 
cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Numbers in kilograms
Posts: 5,986
Re: Thailand returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty 87 View Post
oh ya and can i ask what the deal is with tuk-tuks in bangkok? why does anyone ever take them? they're more expensive than cabs!

for example, i stayed a night on khao sahn before catching the train up to chiang mai (btw, **** trains from now on flying is the nuts). anyways, i knew that a taxi from khao sahn to hualampong costs ~50 baht. so i had my backpack and **** walking to the end of khao sahn to get a cab and obv tuk-tuks start hassling me. first guy says 200 baht. i say "lol try 40." he immediately leaves me alone. second guy says 150 baht. i say "lol try 40" he says "what you crazy? ok 100 baht." i say "nahhhh i think i'm gonna try a cab." "cab 150 baht or more! tuk-tuk only 100 baht." i say "ok 20 baht." he tells me to **** off complete with the hand and the elbow thing. i climb in a cab, tell him hualampong station, the guy turns on the meter and drives. doesn't say a word. SOOOO REFRESHING. we roll up........ 48 baht. i shipped him 200. tuk tuks suckkkkkkkkk
But tuk tuks and banana pancakes is like the REAL Thailand, because it says so in my Lonely Planet I stole from a library!!!

----

Ofdabeats backpacker song in the Lao airport has to be one of the most awesome things ever.... ahhh Thailand I miss ya!
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive