Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #251
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:

"suits" can be had for a couple hundred up to $1,000 for high end tailors in Hong Kong. But there are various quality levels in materials, tailors, etc. my buddy just got back from Hong Kong and got custom made shirts for $90ish each. This sounds expensive, but they were made by some of the best tailors in the world.

$90 for custom shirts is a bargain. I have a small obsession with custom suits due to reading a multi-page ad in GQ the last time I was at the doctor's office. You choose the material and every detail of the cut, then they take something like 40 measurements and assemble the suit. Then several weeks later, you try it on and the make more alterations. You try it on again and they make a final round of alterations before you actually get it. It looks better, fits better, and offers a better range of motion than even, say, a tailored Armani suit or anything comparable.
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #252
aitchie
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 132
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Is it true that drinking the thai red bull-type energy drink is similar to taking speed?

I got truly messed up drinking a bucket of whiskey (only a 1/4 bottle) & red bull and still not sure why
aitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #253
southerndog
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Andy B. \'08
Posts: 1,162
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

OK, there's a difference between "Balla" and living nicely.

I agree that one could live very comfortably off $1k/month. I'm not really sure what baller would be though. One thing to realize is that buying a car is VERY expensive over here. Almost all cars are 20k+ and driving a 4 cylinder honda isn't baller. A Benz will cost you +$100K, and if you're only living for a year, it will be a bad idea.

there are houses for rent in my neighborhood for $500 that are VERY nice. They are probably 4k sq foot or so.
southerndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #254
Kneel B4 Zod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Kneel B4 Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,952
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Quote:

"suits" can be had for a couple hundred up to $1,000 for high end tailors in Hong Kong. But there are various quality levels in materials, tailors, etc. my buddy just got back from Hong Kong and got custom made shirts for $90ish each. This sounds expensive, but they were made by some of the best tailors in the world.

$90 for custom shirts is a bargain. I have a small obsession with custom suits due to reading a multi-page ad in GQ the last time I was at the doctor's office. You choose the material and every detail of the cut, then they take something like 40 measurements and assemble the suit. Then several weeks later, you try it on and the make more alterations. You try it on again and they make a final round of alterations before you actually get it. It looks better, fits better, and offers a better range of motion than even, say, a tailored Armani suit or anything comparable.
just keep in mind that tailors are like 7-11's in Hong Kong. there are various quality levels and levels of competence, and corresponding price differences, between them. ie not all $90 custom made shirts are equal to one another.
Kneel B4 Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #255
farang0
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 629
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Not really.

Farang have cash anyways and thais just understand that white people will come and live in their country, spend tons of cash, and not do any work. A bunch of farang living together and having a good time will not look out of the ordinary. As long as your not being an ass and flashing cash around you will be fine.

Also, my favorite thing about living in Thailand: 80 THOUSAND DOLLAR TAX BREAK EACH YEAR - SHIP IT
(Must live outside of usa for 11 months a year to qualify)
farang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #256
southerndog
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Andy B. \'08
Posts: 1,162
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Not really.

Farang have cash anyways and thais just understand that white people will come and live in their country, spend tons of cash, and not do any work. A bunch of farang living together and having a good time will not look out of the ordinary. As long as your not being an ass and flashing cash around you will be fine.

Good point

Quote:

Also, my favorite thing about living in Thailand: 80 THOUSAND DOLLAR TAX BREAK EACH YEAR - SHIP IT
(Must live outside of usa for 11 months a year to qualify)
REALLY?? I thought that was a one time thing. Is it true for every year?
southerndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #257
farang0
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 629
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Well this is my first year paying taxes outside of USA but reading the IRS website I dont see why they would limit it to one year. Its just an extra form to fill out.

But some people cant handle 11 months outside of the USA. personally 30 days in the USA is more then enough for me to leave for 11 more months
farang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #258
IlPug
grinder
 
IlPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: air, imo
Posts: 699
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:

$90 for custom shirts is a bargain. I have a small obsession with custom suits due to reading a multi-page ad in GQ the last time I was at the doctor's office. You choose the material and every detail of the cut, then they take something like 40 measurements and assemble the suit. Then several weeks later, you try it on and the make more alterations. You try it on again and they make a final round of alterations before you actually get it. It looks better, fits better, and offers a better range of motion than even, say, a tailored Armani suit or anything comparable.
i think i remember a great tailor in BKK. he used to do everyone in the embassy as well as tony blair and clinton/reagan i think.. raja was his name - it'd be more along the expensive side, but let me see if i can track down an address.

-pug
IlPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #259
farang0
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 629
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

I wouldnt worry too much about finding a tailor. TThey are EVERYWHERE.

In samui alone I counted EIGHTY tailors. 80!!
farang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #260
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
I wouldnt worry too much about finding a tailor. TThey are EVERYWHERE.

In samui alone I counted EIGHTY tailors. 80!!
Right, but the guy who hems my pants is also a "tailor" but I wouldn't give him $1k to make me a suit.
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #261
faded
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 1,758
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

my favorite thai dish is chicken pad thai. i've never really had anything else, recommend me a new thai dish!
faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #262
southerndog
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Andy B. \'08
Posts: 1,162
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

So farang0, you're staying in Samui??

What is your living situation?
southerndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #263
kazana
Pooh-Bah
 
kazana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: que, said che
Posts: 5,659
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Degen, first, thanks for doing this.

My wife and I have been to Thailand last year and have been absolutely in love with that country ever since.
We also thought of moving there, but we're not certain, yet.

Now, maybe you can answer a few remaining questions (I haven't read all of the posts, just the first 6 pages, so excuse me if I'm asking double):

1) You mentioned you'll get locked out for 90 days after the third extension (total time in Thailand 90 days). Are there any ways to get around this, without getting into serious trouble (talking bribes, "favours", etc.)?

2) Isn't gambling illegal in Thailand? How do you conceal that you're earning your $$ by playing poker? Have you ever heard of anyone getting into trouble due to that?

3) If we should decide to move there, I'd like to contact you and a few other poker farangs over there. Is that okay with you? Or is your mailbox already filled with "hi i'm moving to thailand" messages?

Thanks again for this thread.
kazana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #264
Turkish
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 306
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
i would like to do muay thai
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #265
Frinkenstein
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Springfield University
Posts: 565
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Is it true that drinking the thai red bull-type energy drink is similar to taking speed?

I got truly messed up drinking a bucket of whiskey (only a 1/4 bottle) & red bull and still not sure why
I also found that the "buckets" really [censored] me up badly. I've never experienced anything else like it. That stuff is chock full of ephedrine I am told. The canadian version doesn't have that.
Frinkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #266
grandgnu
banned
 
grandgnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,196
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Bill:

QUESTION ONE: How hard would it be to find teen asian girls to slap me around and how much would it cost (i.e. no sex or nudity........just violence)

QUESTION TWO: The cost of living sure as hell beats what we were looking at in North Carolina. But my wife isn't too keen on the possibility of living overseas. What might entice her to give Thailand a try?

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

(edited to add question three)
grandgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:55 AM   #267
RunDownHouse
Allez Biere!
 
RunDownHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 12,819
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

I'd be surprised if anything can entice your wife to move to a foreign country she's never visited.

Is there a reason a vacation to Thailand is out of the question? Or is that the plan once the wife becomes more amenable to the idea? It just seems weird that your wife would be so hostile to the idea that she wouldn't even want to vacation there, but you think Degen can come up with something that will convince her.
RunDownHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #268
grandgnu
banned
 
grandgnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,196
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
I'd be surprised if anything can entice your wife to move to a foreign country she's never visited.

Is there a reason a vacation to Thailand is out of the question? Or is that the plan once the wife becomes more amenable to the idea? It just seems weird that your wife would be so hostile to the idea that she wouldn't even want to vacation there, but you think Degen can come up with something that will convince her.
Well, she knows I've got this thing for asian chicks, but I haven't been overly impressed by the pics I've seen of Thai women thus far (i.e. I'd be more inclined towards Japanese women)

I might be able to convince her to vacation. But should I really enjoy it down there and consider moving, what things might help entice my wife to also consider Thailand (i.e. what places should I take her, or what should I show her to make her fall in love with the place)
grandgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #269
RunDownHouse
Allez Biere!
 
RunDownHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 12,819
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Wait, aren't you the guy that gives her a set allowance, and any further decisions must be approved by you?
RunDownHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #270
southerndog
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Andy B. \'08
Posts: 1,162
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Bill:

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

(edited to add question three)
Thailand's not for you.
southerndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #271
shockdaworld
journeyman
 
shockdaworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 315
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Great thread, thanks to everyone helping out. I was supposed to go earlier this month but my cousin backed out. Now I'm tryin to figure out what's next, more and more the plan seems like it should be 'buy ticket, details later'.

1. The specific penalties if you were caught gambling online, say in a cafe?

2. It was mentioned earlier drugs such as paxil are common, do you need a prescription from a local or are they otc? Does this include adderall or other amphetamines?

3. Any personal experiences with the recent coup? Was it similar to how it was reported in the U.S. media? Any worries about it in the future?

4. In regards to the 80k/yr tax exemption, it seems there would be a potential problem. If you report you are in Thailand playing poker yet gambling is illegal there, how does the IRS view this?

Also, I would be interested in any kind of 'baller mansion' project, especially if it was on one of the islands right on the beach. PM if any interest
shockdaworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #272
IlPug
grinder
 
IlPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: air, imo
Posts: 699
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Quote:
Bill:

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

(edited to add question three)
Thailand's not for you.


well there are mcdonalds and burger kings everywhere:P


-pug
IlPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #273
grandgnu
banned
 
grandgnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,196
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Wait, aren't you the guy that gives her a set allowance, and any further decisions must be approved by you?
Oy vey, exaggerated. I take a set percentage from her check each week because I'm responsible for paying ALL the bills that come in.

She gets to have some money that is "hers" that she can spend however she wishes, and her monetary contribution towards the bills is not even close to covering 50% of expenses, so I think I'm more than fair.
grandgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #274
grandgnu
banned
 
grandgnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,196
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bill:

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

(edited to add question three)
Thailand's not for you.


well there are mcdonalds and burger kings everywhere:P


-pug
Not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks.
grandgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #275
RunDownHouse
Allez Biere!
 
RunDownHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 12,819
Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Quote:
In regards to the 80k/yr tax exemption, it seems there would be a potential problem. If you report you are in Thailand playing poker yet gambling is illegal there, how does the IRS view this?
I'm not a tax attorney, a CPA, or any of that. That being said...

I've got a good friend that lives in Argentina, and he's never mentioned it being a problem. It seems intuitive to me that the IRS wouldn't go to the trouble of figuring out the legal status of online poker in every jurisdiction on earth, and then, when deemed illegal, narc you out to local authorities.

If you were worried about something other than trouble from the Thai government, what would it be, when we're talking about the IRS reading "online poker" on your return? Whether, as an illegal activity in the local jurisdiction, its not exempt?

fwiw, I know my friend got his return from his first year, no problems. I do not know how he reported his income, only that he reported it.
RunDownHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive