Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #2301
pocketpair89
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison79 View Post
Never used Woori bank but I have used KEB and yes. You have to go skrill to KEB.
So I should make an account with KEB then deposit to Skrill using the KEB card? Then deposit to PokerStars using Skrill? I'm sorry, I have never used Skrill before so I'm a little bit confused how this process is going to work.
Also I'm not sure if I can get the Skrill master card tho because I'm staying with a family member so verifying my address might be tough.
pocketpair89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #2302
madison79
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Interweb
Posts: 583
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpair89 View Post
So I should make an account with KEB then deposit to Skrill using the KEB card? Then deposit to PokerStars using Skrill? I'm sorry, I have never used Skrill before so I'm a little bit confused how this process is going to work.
Also I'm not sure if I can get the Skrill master card tho because I'm staying with a family member so verifying my address might be tough.
IDK tbh I've never deposited from KEB to skrill. Verifying address isn't hard at all.
madison79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #2303
gson
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

I've been doing as much research as I can about SKorea, but quite frankly, the US and western media don't pay much attention to SKorea.

You can gather the most intel from expats and patch together a reasonably detailed picture of what life in SK is like.

From what I can gather, Seoul seems a lot like NYC (crowded, energetic, a bit superficial, with endless forms and opportunities for entertainment), but racially homogeneous and far safer beyond the wildest dreams of any new yorker.

Seems like a trip will be absolutely necessary.
gson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #2304
pocketpair89
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison79 View Post
IDK tbh I've never deposited from KEB to skrill. Verifying address isn't hard at all.
I thought you said that you used KEB. How did you deposit money on pokerstars then? I honestly have no idea and don't know how skrill works either so I'm very confused. Sorry for such noob questions.
pocketpair89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:22 AM   #2305
madison79
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Interweb
Posts: 583
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpair89 View Post
I thought you said that you used KEB. How did you deposit money on pokerstars then? I honestly have no idea and don't know how skrill works either so I'm very confused. Sorry for such noob questions.
I've staked for awhile now due to having E2 visa. You can find someone who can ship you cash on PS for Korean money. Np on questions.
madison79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #2306
gson
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Well, my research into SKorea continues unabated as I find the topics of culture, history and politics all fascinating.

It's very painful digging into the past sometimes, and encountering those skeletons is never pleasant. But what must be done must be done.

As it turns out, the kpop obsession with plastic surgery did not emerge out of a vacuum. It is indirectly the product of the ongoing occupation of Korea by the US military, and US imposition of cultural standards and ideology, including it's standards of beauty.

Sadly, the kpop and entertainment industry, perhaps not surprisingly then, parallel their US counterparts in many respects. Slave contracts and sexual exploitation are the norm in the entertainment industry. There were a rash of suicides at the turn of the decade, but few media sources in the west or east have given extensive coverage to this startling issue.

It is not surprising then that US troops stationed in SKorea have such an extraordinary sense of entitlement, and rage with such a sense of fury when their superiority complex is questioned or threatened even in the slightest.

For my Korean brothers, you are not really "escaping" the US or taking a vacation from, you are re-entering the US via a korean colony and outpost.

Some of the early posts in the first few pages of the thread make sense now. Drunks posting that Korean women are whores, black guys enraged when they encounter racism, despite the fact that they represent an imperial, colonial power.

I get it now, and probably understood all of it before, but never wanted to admit it. This world is a sick ****in place but I still seek out it's beauty.
gson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #2307
djz
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: doesnt matter, have position
Posts: 2,011
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

ban for being NK spy imo

makes sense, trying to make contacts with foreigners and locals, then spreading commie propaganda to them.
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:13 AM   #2308
madison79
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Interweb
Posts: 583
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gson View Post
Well, my research into SKorea continues unabated as I find the topics of culture, history and politics all fascinating.

It's very painful digging into the past sometimes, and encountering those skeletons is never pleasant. But what must be done must be done.

As it turns out, the kpop obsession with plastic surgery did not emerge out of a vacuum. It is indirectly the product of the ongoing occupation of Korea by the US military, and US imposition of cultural standards and ideology, including it's standards of beauty.

Sadly, the kpop and entertainment industry, perhaps not surprisingly then, parallel their US counterparts in many respects. Slave contracts and sexual exploitation are the norm in the entertainment industry. There were a rash of suicides at the turn of the decade, but few media sources in the west or east have given extensive coverage to this startling issue.

It is not surprising then that US troops stationed in SKorea have such an extraordinary sense of entitlement, and rage with such a sense of fury when their superiority complex is questioned or threatened even in the slightest.

For my Korean brothers, you are not really "escaping" the US or taking a vacation from, you are re-entering the US via a korean colony and outpost.

Some of the early posts in the first few pages of the thread make sense now. Drunks posting that Korean women are whores, black guys enraged when they encounter racism, despite the fact that they represent an imperial, colonial power.

I get it now, and probably understood all of it before, but never wanted to admit it. This world is a sick ****in place but I still seek out it's beauty.
I don't really see how US is a imperial and colonial power here when Korean gov pays them to stay. I do agree that US should remove military bases from all foreigner countries.
This is the 3rd/4th post that you have made really bashing foreigners and it's getting a bit old.
Here are two articles about Korean and sex.
http://www.ibtimes.com/south-korea-t...-state-1222647
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...16_129743.html

So 1/3 GDP goes to sex in Korea. Sure must be a lot of women paying for it and Koreans are the number 1 underage hookers in other countries.
madison79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #2309
loosekanen
USA#1, Oh Yeah!
 
loosekanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Within 30 Feet of a Dogfish IPA
Posts: 25,959
As a US soldier I take offense to your stated "sense of entitlement." I think most soldiers behave extremely well. If you consider there are 40,000 of them here at any one time and just about any perceived misconduct WILL make the news it's almost amazing to me how few incidents there are.

There are bad apples in every bunch, but Soldiers here are inundated with classes on being a good guest and we get punished severely for anything that will bring the alliance into jeopardy. If you're trolling you're doing a good job. If you're not then it's time to stop buying into stereotypes and start opening your eyes.
loosekanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 AM   #2310
dogarse
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,454
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

gson, it my new favorite poster, good work keeping it real.
dogarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #2311
loosekanen
USA#1, Oh Yeah!
 
loosekanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Within 30 Feet of a Dogfish IPA
Posts: 25,959
Yeah. I've def been trolled. Well done.
loosekanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #2312
gson
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Not a single asian woman on the list of the "world's sexiest women." This is what I mean by media brainwashing:

http://www.maxim.com/hot100/2013

Buck toothed, flatassed miley cyrus is listed #1.

Butterfaces jennifer lawrence is no. 5, and ashley tisdale is 8.

Beached whale kat dennings is 83.

edit: there is one token asian woman and a half indian woman on the list. So, 1.5% of the list is asian. Even though China and India are the 2 largest countries on the planet.

This is cultural imperialism at work.

Last edited by gson; 05-19-2014 at 04:09 PM.
gson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #2313
Edgelooker1
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bulgogi and Yaki Mandu Avenue
Posts: 650
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

WH BBJ now at KRW 30,276,000

Also, I read at WH poker room that at the end of this month they will have a 3 day event 330k buyin (1 rebuy allowed) for guaranteed 20mil payout with 1st place getting a WSOP TICKET.
Edgelooker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #2314
Syous
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Syous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ploville
Posts: 6,907
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

interesting, keep us updated!
Syous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #2315
djz
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: doesnt matter, have position
Posts: 2,011
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

if that list is cultural imperialism, does that mean that miley cyrus is the USA's #1 culture warrior?
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #2316
madison79
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Interweb
Posts: 583
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djz View Post
if that list is cultural imperialism, does that mean that miley cyrus is the USA's #1 culture warrior?
Def means we are best at sticking our tongues out.
madison79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 AM   #2317
gson
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosekanen View Post
Yeah. I've def been trolled. Well done.
Nope, not looking to evoke a reaction. Simply jotting down honest observations, unfiltered. If you've spent any time in skorea as you say you have, you should be used to that by now.
gson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 AM   #2318
gson
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djz View Post
if that list is cultural imperialism, does that mean that miley cyrus is the USA's #1 culture warrior?
I would say she is a puppet and a pawn. The most important players are the people pulling the strings from above or from behind the curtain, choose whatever analogy you prefer.

The GI's who are complaining about the honesty of my posts should be well aware of the validity of this point, as they serve their masters in dark suits in both the US and SKorea, east and west, doing as they are told.
gson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #2319
madison79
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Interweb
Posts: 583
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gson View Post
Not a single asian woman on the list of the "world's sexiest women." This is what I mean by media brainwashing:
I agree it's not a list of sexiest women in the world since lack of many cultures is evident but then again it's a US based magazine so of course it's going to have more celebrities from USA/western culture.

It should be noted the media and cultural brainwashing that young Korean women get from Kpop and tv. 99% of those women have had plastic surgery.
http://youtu.be/_ti1CDQUlSE

I also remember reading a summary of a Korean movie where a young lady with a great voice but she is over weight so they have very pretty lady lip sync in front of the crowd while heavy lady really sings. So how does she fix this problem? She gets plastic surgery and everything is wonderful.
madison79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #2320
gson
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison79 View Post
I agree it's not a list of sexiest women in the world since lack of many cultures is evident but then again it's a US based magazine so of course it's going to have more celebrities from USA/western culture.

It should be noted the media and cultural brainwashing that young Korean women get from Kpop and tv. 99% of those women have had plastic surgery.
http://youtu.be/_ti1CDQUlSE

I also remember reading a summary of a Korean movie where a young lady with a great voice but she is over weight so they have very pretty lady lip sync in front of the crowd while heavy lady really sings. So how does she fix this problem? She gets plastic surgery and everything is wonderful.
You don't have a credible source for that figure, as most celebrities will not admit to plastic surgery, even here in the US.

Having said that, you are mistaking proximate causes with ultimate causes. The proximate cause of the desire for plastic surgery is kpop and koreantv. The ultimate cause however, is US cultural imperialism via the media.

As a matter of fact, it was the US which introduced plastic surgery to Korea, along with western ideals of beauty. Not difficult to figure out. It's not like koreans decided spontaneously instantaneously that they wanted a double eyelid and decided to shave their jaws down.

The US has always been a culture predicated upon Anglo superiority. It's officials realize brainwashing is far more effective than military combat for the purposes of colonization.
gson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #2321
Edgelooker1
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bulgogi and Yaki Mandu Avenue
Posts: 650
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

I think Gson would get along fine with a local Korean guy I used to know in Seoul. He also blamed the US for a lot of things wrong with Korea. He was totally against the US military being on the peninsula, even though he actually worked on one of the bases (USAG Yongsan). He actively participated in anti-US protests (even took off of work to do so).

And when his wife became pregnant, and just prior to her due date, they both flew to Los Angeles so that his wife could give birth at a hospital there so that his newborn son would be automatically born a US citizen and also not be required to do the mandatory SK military service.

So on one hand he was anti-US while at the same time serving and supporting his family, working for those he was against, but he was still quick to have his son become a US citizen so he wouldn't have to serve and defend his own country.
Edgelooker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #2322
dogarse
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,454
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

There's not really anything hypocritical about that. One can blame the problems iof Korea on the US and still recognise that it's beneficial to be a US citizen in order to avoid the problems that you believe the US has caused.

I'm sure there are also millions of Afgans and Iraqis who despise the US for what they've done to their country but would still sacrifice everything to be able to live there.
dogarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #2323
djz
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: doesnt matter, have position
Posts: 2,011
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

gson, i can't believe i'm actually engaging a troll, but all of your arguments are bad ad hominems based on **** you read in blogs so you could make assumptions about how people act. oh and you aren't presenting any facts or evidence either (a ****ing maxim list is not "evidence"). just baseless assumptions. you don't even have any personal anecdotes yourself.

if you are being serious, then you're good evidence of the harm the internet does to people socially. also you're pretty bad at forming arguments (or labeling them)...how badly did you bomb the LSAT or the logic class you took in college? edgelooker didn't make an ad hominem, though i agree with what dogarse said.

Quote:
Having said that, you are mistaking proximate causes with ultimate causes. The proximate cause of the desire for plastic surgery is kpop and koreantv. The ultimate cause however, is US cultural imperialism via the media.
no the ultimate cause of the issues you've brought up is god (or the big bang if you don't believe in god), because without god america/europe/TV wouldn't exist and there would be no western imperialism.

even if the US is the ultimate cause, neither that nor proximate cause is sufficient to establish fault. the societal issue of >50% of women in seoul having plastic surgery is so far removed from anything that western media does that it's absurd to say it's the actual cause. if it were the actual cause, why isn't the rate of plastic surgery as high everywhere else on earth as it is in SK ?

i encourage to bring these lively political debates to the poker table tho the next time you play at a casino. but keep your trolls elsewhere plz.
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #2324
djz
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: doesnt matter, have position
Posts: 2,011
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

first of all, just because an argument contains an ad hominem doesn't mean all of it is false or even faulty. for example, if i say "the sky is blue while gson catches STDs from ladyboys he picks up on hooker hill" that doesn't mean the sky isn't blue. if i said "the sky is blue BECAUSE gson catches STDs from ladyboys he picks up on hooker hill" that statement would be logically unsound not because of the ad hominem but because the sky is obviously blue for other reasons (false causation).

also lol i am totally fine with people criticizing the US i am pretty far out there on the left and i like reading noam chomsky (don't hate i don't want to have any more political discussion in this thread). my rage isn't "latent" (it's totally open) nor it is about people criticizing the US. what i am not cool with people spewing totally retarded BS and i'm happy to skewer them for that.
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #2325
Edgelooker1
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bulgogi and Yaki Mandu Avenue
Posts: 650
Re: Ask A Pro about Living in Seoul, South Korea

Just a reminder for anyone headed to the casino with US dollars (or any other foreign currency)- get your Korean won outside the casino, like at money exchanges in Itaewon.

Exchange rate at Walker Hill is 998. I can't remember the last time a 100 dollar bill would get us less than 100,000 won. Itaewon rate is ~1022.
Edgelooker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online