Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #76
Stan Loh
grinder
 
Stan Loh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All over
Posts: 457
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Can somebody suggest me some place to live in Philippines out of the city? I need a good location to write and do some soul searching. Someplace exotic without being commercialized. A hidden gem perhaps?
Stan Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #77
mnlgrind
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MNL
Posts: 553
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Loh View Post
Can somebody suggest me some place to live in Philippines out of the city? I need a good location to write and do some soul searching. Someplace exotic without being commercialized. A hidden gem perhaps?
If you're a fan of beaches there are a few outside the city, it would take you a couple of hours travel time to go to one, or try Bohol it's pretty much quiet during the off-peak season. If your into the mountain landscapes and the like, you can try Sagada it's like a spiritual mountain, maybe you can do your soul searching there
mnlgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #78
mlagoo
old fogey
 
mlagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: confused
Posts: 19,223
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Loh View Post
Can somebody suggest me some place to live in Philippines out of the city? I need a good location to write and do some soul searching. Someplace exotic without being commercialized. A hidden gem perhaps?
bacuit archipelago imo. it's paradise.
mlagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #79
alexswan
newbie
 
alexswan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 28
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

hmm I'm considering living in Thailand for a couple of months from April, and after reading this thread I fancy staying in Makati for a few months also. Can anyone recommend any nice apartments to stay at? Budget is a maximum of $1k/month. Ideally around $7-800
alexswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #80
mnlgrind
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MNL
Posts: 553
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexswan View Post
hmm I'm considering living in Thailand for a couple of months from April, and after reading this thread I fancy staying in Makati for a few months also. Can anyone recommend any nice apartments to stay at? Budget is a maximum of $1k/month. Ideally around $7-800
Try looking for apartments at Fort Bonifacio, the apartments here are pretty sweet and posh. You can also try looking at Salcedo Village area its near the business district, the have nice apartments too. 700-800usd should be enough for a kickass apartment.
mnlgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #81
Paul B.
handsome
 
Paul B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 3rd world
Posts: 7,800
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

HEY THREAD. I'm flying into Manila tomorrow. I plan on getting a SIM card when I get there, so I'll PM my number to mnlgrind and whoever else is in town as soon as I can.

I'll be blogging about the trip here. I also decided that I'm gonna hold a contest in BBV and give out money to whoever comes closest to guessing how much money I spend in the Philippines. Should be fun.
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #82
mnlgrind
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MNL
Posts: 553
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Paul hit me up when you get her, do get a local sim card at like 7-eleven or something.

Contest? lol sounds fun man.
mnlgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #83
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

I'll be in the Philippines from April 2-April 11 with a couple of days stay in Manila, followed by a few nights in Borocay, and then off to Davao. (this is tentative, but probably the most likely itinerary)

I booked a room for two nights at the Hyatt Casino in Manila(Malate area) but the reservation is not confirmed yet. If I am unable to get confirmation at the Hyatt, are there any reccomendations for good Hotels in this area? I don't have to have the swankiest, yet I don't want to sleep with the ****-a-roaches..
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 AM   #84
Paul B.
handsome
 
Paul B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 3rd world
Posts: 7,800
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Stuff I've learned in the past week:

People here are really poor.
Despite English being an official language, very few can speak it fluently.
The drivers here are ultra aggro and the traffic is nasty.
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #85
nutsflopper
veteran
 
nutsflopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,254
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

So in a whole week you haven't learned ANYTHING about the females there?
nutsflopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #86
mnlgrind
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MNL
Posts: 553
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

LH: I believe if you get a room at the hyatt thats the swankiest place in that area.
There are a couple of hotels in that area all of them are in a 5 min radius of the casino. you should check em out.
mnlgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #87
LuckyDevil
Pooh-Bah
 
LuckyDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,501
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
Despite English being an official language, very few can speak it fluently.
I wish you would elaborate on this more. Where has it been a problem. I assume in social situations it makes things hard, but what about business oriented things, shopping, taxis, restaurants, etc. Tell me what your guess would be on what percentage of the time the average Filipino understands you and what percentage of the time you understand the average Filipino. Thanks.
LuckyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #88
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlgrind View Post
LH: I believe if you get a room at the hyatt thats the swankiest place in that area.
There are a couple of hotels in that area all of them are in a 5 min radius of the casino. you should check em out.

Thanks bro. The Hyatt was all booked up and was unable to make a reservation there. (although I might want to play some NL holdem there if they offer) I end up going with a place called Pan Pacific in the Malate area, it has great reviews and I figure why not splurge for only a few nights.

Paul B: what do you mean by lots of poors?? There are lots of poors here in big U.S cities as well. Are you running into lots of squatters??
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #89
Paul B.
handsome
 
Paul B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 3rd world
Posts: 7,800
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsflopper View Post
So in a whole week you haven't learned ANYTHING about the females there?
The girls on a whole look pretty good here. Lots of exotic looking bitches. Also one big difference is how often I get hit on here (once or twice a day, which is once or twice more often than in America).

Some hookers are crazy. Literally. Mentally instable. I need to learn to stay away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDevil View Post
I wish you would elaborate on this more. Where has it been a problem. I assume in social situations it makes things hard, but what about business oriented things, shopping, taxis, restaurants, etc. Tell me what your guess would be on what percentage of the time the average Filipino understands you and what percentage of the time you understand the average Filipino. Thanks.
I don't know what you mean by "average" Filipino. If you walk up to a poor looking person or an older person on the street, chances are he/she does not speak English at all, only Tagalog. People in service industries (hotel receptionists, travel agents, waiters, cashiers, hookers, etc.) can speak decent English, at least good enough to do their job. Most taxi drivers will know how to ask you where you're going but most likely won't be able to understand anything beyond that. Like today, I asked a driver, "So what are you doing for Holy Week?" - he goes, "Yes."

Quote:
Paul B: what do you mean by lots of poors?? There are lots of poors here in big U.S cities as well. Are you running into lots of squatters??
It's a third world country, nothing like the US. Where I was staying (Ermita area), there are insane amounts of homeless people who live in shacks and walk around without shoes and/or clothes because they can't afford any. It's like those "Please help feed this child" infomercials on TV.

Even the middle class are relatively poor. A 40 peso ($1) tip to a doorman/bellhop/waiter will make his day. When I met up with mnlgrind, he told me that his college graduate friend would make ~$300 USD per month working for some finance firm. I couldn't believe it.
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #90
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post

Some hookers are crazy. Literally. Mentally instable. I need to learn to stay away from them.



Aren't most hookers mentally unstable, even here in the U.S? lol

Great info, bro. I'm looking forward to my trip, a few days in Vegas, followed by a short flight to LAX and on to the Phils for about a week and a half. I got about everything I need except for a few valiums for the long flight (probably the thing I look forward to the least)
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:15 AM   #91
geo8o2
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,450
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

i'm thinking of going there on the 26th like 5 days away. i heard they are trying to overthrow the president up there. is it safe for foreigners right now?
geo8o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:56 AM   #92
mnlgrind
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MNL
Posts: 553
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

geo: it's safe, business as usual here in the Philippines.
mnlgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #93
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,069
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

geo: It's fine, they are trying to get rid of her because her husband is uber corrupt. It's a good thing.

About PI being poor: yes its poor, very poor. But your money goes a long long way, the women LOVE foreigners (remember, you are a walking green card in their eyes, don't forget it). However, if you want to completely avoid seeing really poor people on a daily basis then just go to Makati and never leave the area. Everything you need is in that district, food, shelter, clubs, entertainment, women).
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #94
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephisto View Post
geo: It's fine, they are trying to get rid of her because her husband is uber corrupt. It's a good thing.

About PI being poor: yes its poor, very poor. But your money goes a long long way, the women LOVE foreigners (remember, you are a walking green card in their eyes, don't forget it). However, if you want to completely avoid seeing really poor people on a daily basis then just go to Makati and never leave the area. Everything you need is in that district, food, shelter, clubs, entertainment, women).

Which clubs are good to meet nice looking filipinas in Makati? (non-hookers). My plans as of now, are on the fritz with this hot but insane filipina I met, but I'll still be there April 2 and I could probably use a wing.
If anyone wants to meet up and is in town, PM me.
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #95
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,069
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

No clue locust, I haven't been in PI in about 2 years. But from my experience the clubs are trendy, so the hot clubs change all the time.

As for meeting women, in makati they are everywhere because it's the trendy area to be in and to hang out. I personally like the greenbelt mall to scope out women.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #96
Paul B.
handsome
 
Paul B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 3rd world
Posts: 7,800
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

I'm in Boracay. The beach is nice but there is a lot of seaweed in the water (not clear as expected). Girls here are tough, and there are a lot of ladyboys. Stuff here is more expensive than Manila/Cebu.

The coastline, look at all the seaweed!


A sand castle in the making


The finished product, it was very impressive and the lettering said "Boracay Island March 26, 2007"


Sunset looks cool
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #97
mlagoo
old fogey
 
mlagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: confused
Posts: 19,223
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

man i have some of the best pictures of sunsets in the bacuit archipelago


heres one of my favorites:

mlagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #98
SixPackofBud
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 36
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

I'm curious what you mean by "Girls here are tough"?

My first thought was you meant their ugly, but then it occurred to me you must mean their tough to get into the sack...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
I'm in Boracay. The beach is nice but there is a lot of seaweed in the water (not clear as expected). Girls here are tough, and there are a lot of ladyboys. Stuff here is more expensive than Manila/Cebu.

The coastline, look at all the seaweed!


A sand castle in the making


The finished product, it was very impressive and the lettering said "Boracay Island March 26, 2007"


Sunset looks cool
SixPackofBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #99
Iwind
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 70
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

It's an awesome place to be really, both in Cebu and Manila they have live NL games and they don't block any online poker sites either I believe. Thinking of going back there soon and live either in Manila or Cebu and rent something kinda permanent. I just want to check out Macau first.

Any of you guys living in either of those places and got some recomendations when it comes to apartments? Looking for an apartment in the 30k-60k baht a month rate with good internet connection, swimming pool, gym, etc. I'm thinking of renting it for two months at least, maybe longer. I have some places I've looked at before, but it'd be great to have some more options to look at.
Iwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #100
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwind View Post
Looking for an apartment in the 30k-60k baht a month rate with good internet connection,

I'm not an expert, but I don't think they would accept baht in the philippines..
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online