Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Chilling in the beautiful Vondelpark,

walking around the canals of Rozengracht and Herengracht,

partying in one of the worlds best clubs,

Playing poker in Holland Casino on Leidsesquare,

having a beer in one of the beachbars of Bloemendaal..


It surprises me there isn't a big pokercommunity in Amsterdam yet!


I'm a Dutch midstakes cash player. I've lived in Amsterdam for about 4 years, mostly when I still studied. I've also traveled and lived after my studying in other cities like Capetown, Bangkok, Budapest, LA, London and Playa del Carmen. After travelling around the world and trying different cities I decided I'm still in love the most with A'dam.

I'm looking to start a pokerhouse with 1 other pokerplayer. But a big problem in Amsterdam is finding an appartment, just like in Paris, so many young couples, students, businessmen, foreigners want to live here. And the appartment often have small living space, so are not very suitable for grinding in the house.

But, there is a big chance I have a really nice appartment by the beginning of May! (Which I already talked about in my other topic):

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/17...hread-1582686/

I will copy paste a part of what I posted there:

On tuesday I finally got to watch a really nice appartment in Amsterdam-East, close to Oosterpark, which is imo. the nicest park in A'dam. I was the first person to look at it, and I was very positive about this one. I just sent an email to the agent and did an offer, and hope to get it and live there by the 15th of April or first of May (they're renovating the appartment right now, there were 4 builders working in the appartment so I couldn't make decent pictures inside)

The living room/kitchen is 6 metres by 7 metres so very huge and a lot of light and space to work, then there is a balcony which is 6 by 1.5metre so good for 4 people to chill there. 2 bedrooms which are identical 3 by 3.5 metres. and a bathroom with a bath and seperate shower. There were 4 builders working on it now. it's on the 2th floor. Everything is brand-new. It's around 10/15mins bike to the centre and 5 minutes by train. I'm still looking for a pokerplayer that plays cashgame midstakes just like me, willing to share this appartment with me, if I get it ofcourse which I will hear in a few days.

This is the location, more photos will follow if the appartment is finished.


a lot of guys have shown interest, for example there is a midstakes PLO player from Sweden, which I did hangout with in Mexico, he wants to live in A'dam for around 3 months, not sure when yet. Then a mid/highstakes NLHE player from Cape-town, which wants to live in A'dam in May and June (He's pbb going to get these months if he confirms). And a lowstakes NLHE player from Germany, which would take the room for the whole first year (but as I said I prefer someone that plays at least the same stakes as I do). There is still room for more options, so send me a PM if you're interested , the longer you want to stay the better, minimum is 2 months. Your rent will be around 1000 euro's per month, depending on how long you would stay and which months of the year (I have to ask more for short term/summertime, since I'm taking the risk paying double myself if I don't have a housemate for a while!), the only 2 priorities are: at least 23 years old (I'm 27 myself), playing midstakes cash


I know there is at least 5 to 10 other online-pro's living in Amsterdam, also there is a lot of live cashgame players. So there is room to build a community for sure

I know the city really well, can get you a cheap bike and show you around the best places. So no need for a tourguide!

Are there more people living in Amsterdam which I don't know yet?
People planning to live here or visit for a while?

Let's get this beautiful city on the pokermap!
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
SuperUberBob
Not interesting enough
 
SuperUberBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 43,181
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Taxes and high cost of living keep grinders out.
SuperUberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUberBob View Post
Taxes and high cost of living keep grinders out.
government is in lawsuits with pokerplayers about no taxes over online-poker, pokerstars is already tax-free and most sites are probably safe too. so this is not a problem imo.

High cost of living, this is true with renting appartments, but not really with drinking beers or having dinner. London for example is at least twice as expensive.

Internet is super-fast
people are friendly
girls are beautiful
it's very clean
weed is legal
food is cheap and good

these are all good reasons to live in Amsterdam.
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Mi$terMJ
banned
 
Mi$terMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 445
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

You don't pay taxes as a foreigner, just don't let authorities know thar you play poker & they'll never find out.
Also what op says, its not all that expensive compared to london etc. Clearly not the cheapest city around however.

Gl op!
Mi$terMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
pozdroziomy
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 49
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Amsterdam is great, but mainly during summer when it is really busy with all the tourists and there are music festivals going on almost every weekend. During winter it is a bit depressing (like most of Europe to be fair).
pozdroziomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozdroziomy View Post
Amsterdam is great, but mainly during summer when it is really busy with all the tourists and there are music festivals going on almost every weekend. During winter it is a bit depressing (like most of Europe to be fair).
I agree winter is not really nice except for december with sinterklaas and christmas

Also it's still better than winter in Malta or other places in Europe.
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
ONLYRAISEAA
Pooh-Bah
 
ONLYRAISEAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LATE DECEMBER BOYS
Posts: 4,876
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

I love Amsterdam, hope to live there at some point in my life.

If anyone here is going, can't miss breakfast at this place http://deverguldegaper.nl/

all around good area too imo.

have been like 5x and funnily enough never seen Amsterdam late spring/summer. guess there's something on the list to do in the near future
ONLYRAISEAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKiii_Fish View Post

[I]On tuesday I finally got to watch a really nice appartment in Amsterdam-East, close to Oosterpark, which is imo. the nicest park in A'dam. I was the first person to look at it, and I was very positive about this one. I just sent an email to the agent and did an offer, and hope to get it and live there by the 15th of April or first of May (they're renovating the appartment right now, there were 4 builders working in the appartment so I couldn't make decent pictures inside)

The living room/kitchen is 6 metres by 7 metres so very huge and a lot of light and space to work, then there is a balcony which is 6 by 1.5metre so good for 4 people to chill there. 2 bedrooms which are identical 3 by 3.5 metres. and a bathroom with a bath and seperate shower. There were 4 builders working on it now. it's on the 2th floor. Everything is brand-new. It's around 10/15mins bike to the centre and 5 minutes by train. I'm still looking for a pokerplayer that plays cashgame midstakes just like me, willing to share this appartment with me, if I get it ofcourse which I will hear in a few days.

This is the location, more photos will follow if the appartment is finished.
no luck with this appartment unfortunately
I will get a phonecall from my agent on wednesday with more news about other appartments

still got room for 1 grinder to live with me.
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
HolidayInTheSun
adept
 
HolidayInTheSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,052
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKiii_Fish View Post

It surprises me there isn't a big pokercommunity in Amsterdam yet!
It surprised me as well to learn that so many poker players live in third world ****holes, but then I realised most of them have no appreciation for the finer things in life, instead opting to scrounge for low-hanging fruit.
HolidayInTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Kingsnight and Kingsday just happened in Amsterdam. It's a day everyone dresses in orange and goes drinking all day long. DJ's are playing everywhere and it's a lot of fun. Today I'm pretty hungover so I haven't played poker the last 3 days.

I'm very happy I finally found a very nice 2 bedroom appartment in A'dam old-south! I'm going to sign the contract next week. I have to pay the agent that found me the appartment a fee, but it's worth it. the neighbourhood is known as the best in Amsterdam and it's close to the heart of the city (5 mins by bike). Next week I will shoot some pictures, it's on the 2th floor close to Olympic stadium.

I will live there from June 1st with a fellow grinder which I still have to choose. There is multiple people interested living with me in Amsterdam, but most of them are uncertain about which months and don't want to fully commit yet.

Do you play midstakes or highstakes cashgames and you want to live in Amsterdam for a few months, you can send me a message, I'm still looking for someone! Would be fun if we could motivate eachother to grind more and study together. Just like I did in Mexico a few months ago with 2 mid/highstakes grinders. Amsterdam works perfectly fine for this too!
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #11
SuperUberBob
Not interesting enough
 
SuperUberBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 43,181
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayInTheSun View Post
It surprised me as well to learn that so many poker players live in third world ****holes, but then I realised most of them have no appreciation for the finer things in life, instead opting to scrounge for low-hanging fruit.
Less money to be made online than in the past.

Plus cheap whores.
SuperUberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
thesheriff4
newbie
 
thesheriff4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Is the Holland casino the only place to play live cash in amsterdam
thesheriff4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #13
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff4 View Post
Is the Holland casino the only place to play live cash in amsterdam
Oficially yes. But there are quite some underground cashgames with lots of action in and around Adam. I prefer those mostly
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
JaNdRo27
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 62
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Hi @Lekiii_fish
I'm about to move to Amsterdam with my girlfriend but I'm noticing that it's pretty tough to get an apartment. Do you have any tips?
Did you tell the owner of your place what's your job?
'cause It looks like they ask a lot of money guarantees such as the job contract that I obviusly don't have
Thanks in advance
Alessandro
JaNdRo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #15
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaNdRo27 View Post
Hi @Lekiii_fish
I'm about to move to Amsterdam with my girlfriend but I'm noticing that it's pretty tough to get an apartment. Do you have any tips?
Did you tell the owner of your place what's your job?
'cause It looks like they ask a lot of money guarantees such as the job contract that I obviusly don't have
Thanks in advance
Alessandro
Hi allessandro,

it is very very tough especially for pokerplayers, they do ask for your job contracts thats a bummer.. I thought I had one but I had to cancel it in the very end, because I had no housemate that could pay 900 euro's, expect an appartment in a decent neighbourhood at least to be 1200 euro's with 1 bedroom and 1600 with 2 I guess if you rent long term (like a year minimum), also the agent wants 1 month fee+taxes and the gas/water/light/internet/tv is not included there too.

Good luck with the search!
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #16
JimmyRott
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Hey Lekki. That poker room in the pic you posted looks huge. What are the games like in AM? Limits, rake, variants etc. What would you say a monthly budget would be for living expenses?

I have been to Amsterdam before and loved it. My work contract is coming to an end in October and I am considering places to go play some live NLHE. I prefer playing 2/5 cash games but would play 1/2 as well and the occasional game at 5/10. I can also speak conversational dutch so Amsterdam seems like a good place for me.
JimmyRott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #17
Bulrathi
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 161
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

How much does it cost to rent a 1 bedroom apt for 1 month in an ok area?
Bulrathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #18
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulrathi View Post
How much does it cost to rent a 1 bedroom apt for 1 month in an ok area?
For 1 month i would say around 3k but not sure.. You have to rent airbnb if you want to stay so short. If you know someone where you can stay it should be cheaper.
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #19
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRott View Post
Hey Lekki. That poker room in the pic you posted looks huge. What are the games like in AM? Limits, rake, variants etc. What would you say a monthly budget would be for living expenses?

I have been to Amsterdam before and loved it. My work contract is coming to an end in October and I am considering places to go play some live NLHE. I prefer playing 2/5 cash games but would play 1/2 as well and the occasional game at 5/10. I can also speak conversational dutch so Amsterdam seems like a good place for me.
There is 2-4 and 5-5 most of time plo and holdem. Minimum buyin is pretty low but they often run deep too. The only problem is the casino closes at 3am so when the game is juicy you're forced to quit early anyway. Amsterdam is def one of the most beautiful cities in the world to me
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #20
JimmyRott
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKiii_Fish View Post
There is 2-4 and 5-5 most of time plo and holdem. Minimum buyin is pretty low but they often run deep too. The only problem is the casino closes at 3am so when the game is juicy you're forced to quit early anyway. Amsterdam is def one of the most beautiful cities in the world to me
Ok thanks. What is the rake like? I am very keen to make another extended trip to Holland. Unfortunately VISA only allows me to stay a maximum of 3 months.
JimmyRott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #21
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRott View Post
Ok thanks. What is the rake like? I am very keen to make another extended trip to Holland. Unfortunately VISA only allows me to stay a maximum of 3 months.
rake is 5% cap 20 on 2-4, 5% cap 25 on 5-5
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #22
ITT666
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,663
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

That's pretty rough rake there. Games better be real juicy and play deep often to be worth paying that rake.
ITT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #23
LeKiii_Fish
journeyman
 
LeKiii_Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 282
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

Its def on the higher side, there are places in the world where its even higher tho. But its not unbeatable
LeKiii_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #24
40s
grinder
 
40s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 546
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

love amsterdam.. but being able to live anywhere, it doesnt make sense to live there..
finding a good apartment sucks, weather sucks etc..

its better to visit sometimes
40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #25
chickens
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kanada
Posts: 159
Re: Amsterdam - City of dreams and opportunities!

I'll be here for a month from September 12th onward, booking my place in the next couple of days so if anyone's interested in chopping an apartment or just meeting up let me know
chickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online