Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Health and Fitness Discussion of health and fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #151
HalfSlant
Pooh-Bah
 
HalfSlant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Squat Rack
Posts: 5,982
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

knees not out far enough, and not going deep enough (those are both related however)
HalfSlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #152
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSlant View Post
knees not out far enough, and not going deep enough (those are both related however)
Aye cheers. Will keep working on it
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #153
HalfSlant
Pooh-Bah
 
HalfSlant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Squat Rack
Posts: 5,982
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

can you get your knees all the way out, when there is no weight on your back? Like the full ATG deep squat position and just hold it there comfortably?

If not, some mobility work could go a long way to helping your squat.

If you can, then it seems like more of a mental problem.
HalfSlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:07 AM   #154
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSlant View Post
can you get your knees all the way out, when there is no weight on your back? Like the full ATG deep squat position and just hold it there comfortably?

If not, some mobility work could go a long way to helping your squat.

If you can, then it seems like more of a mental problem.


I can. Did you see my previous vids where I got good depth? Thats why I thought it might be camera angle screwing it up a bit as I dont know why my squats would suddenly be high.

I think I just need to focus on really jamming knees out more

Last edited by rAv; 07-30-2016 at 01:12 AM.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:46 AM   #155
Renton555
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,530
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Not to speak for HS, but I don't think he was talking about you being strictly below parallel or not. That is pretty tough to tell from the angle, but it's clear that you're cutting off depth prematurely. Not hitting your bottom and not getting a good stretch reflex. My squat reps are all a bit high from an absolute standpoint, but some of them are especially high, and it's usually accompanied by an excessive squatmorning. Not sure if the case is the same for you.
Renton555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 AM   #156
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton555 View Post
Not to speak for HS, but I don't think he was talking about you being strictly below parallel or not. That is pretty tough to tell from the angle, but it's clear that you're cutting off depth prematurely. Not hitting your bottom and not getting a good stretch reflex. My squat reps are all a bit high from an absolute standpoint, but some of them are especially high, and it's usually accompanied by an excessive squatmorning. Not sure if the case is the same for you.
Hm okay I see. Perhaps Halfslant can elaborate
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #157
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

PULL

DL warmups, 6x270
Pullups; 4x7
Pendlay: 3x7x160
Seated: 3x8x160
Rear delt: 3x12x64
Facepull: 3x12x100. Used different pully because able to microload this one with plates
Curls

First time DL'ing with belt. Felt pretty solid. Nice to be able to have something to push against when bracing.

rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #158
Aidan
RAWR!!! I LIFT AND DRINK ALCOHOL!! RAWR!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: back trying to make it
Posts: 23,470
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Tactical frog stretch is a good one
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #159
BPA234
veteran
 
BPA234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 3,123
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

HS is telling you that your squats are high. Even with the angle it's actually easy to see because of the stripes. You can try a little wider stance, push your knees out more. Also, you look like you are rolling your elbows back and up. You don't want to do that.
BPA234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:58 AM   #160
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Tactical frog stretch is a good one
Tried this, think it might be helpful, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPA234 View Post
HS is telling you that your squats are high. Even with the angle it's actually easy to see because of the stripes. You can try a little wider stance, push your knees out more. Also, you look like you are rolling your elbows back and up. You don't want to do that.
Fair enough, I'll just put it down to a bad session. The elbow thing is not something I consciously do. I'll watch out for it. Guess it can cause shoulder issues or something?
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #161
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Legs

Squat: warmup, 4x5x255 (PR)
RDL: 3x8x285
Split squat: 3x7x115 (PR)
Leg curl: 12x130, 2x10x130
Leg extension: 2x12x163, 11x163
Calf raise: 3x15x125

First time squatting with belt today. Felt great.
Think there might be a slight improvement in squats. I guess it's too much to ask to fix everything in one session. I had trouble focussing on knees out in my worksets. I guess subconsciously I just want to gtfo that hole as quickly as possible no matter what. Trying again next time.



rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #162
nuclear500
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuclear500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,620
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

That's an awfully high RDL for a deadlift that is basically the same from your previous posts.
nuclear500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #163
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear500 View Post
That's an awfully high RDL for a deadlift that is basically the same from your previous posts.


How so? It's basically half a normal deadlift and can use stretch reflex. Doesn't it make sense to be able to move more weight?

I'm also closer to my max with RDL compared to deadlift
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #164
HalfSlant
Pooh-Bah
 
HalfSlant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Squat Rack
Posts: 5,982
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

depth looks good on those squats.

doesn't look like you are using the belt correctly because it is moving around and stuff. maybe its too loose?
HalfSlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #165
Montecore
Snitch/3/1 Disciple
 
Montecore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On my fainting couch
Posts: 63,326
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSlant View Post
depth looks good on those squats.
Really? They all look barely parallel at best to me (and some seem clearly high).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSlant View Post
doesn't look like you are using the belt correctly because it is moving around and stuff. maybe its too loose?
This, plus it's not that wide and seems kind of crappy. Tightening it seems like the only potential remedy.
Montecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #166
HalfSlant
Pooh-Bah
 
HalfSlant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Squat Rack
Posts: 5,982
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

they are like 1-2 inch below parallel in the side view video. don't need to be ATG imo
HalfSlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #167
nuclear500
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuclear500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,620
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

I wouldn't call an RDL half a normal deadlift because in the deadlift the musculature is worked primarily in a concentric manner and you are engaging your quads to a degree, however minor, and it does aid a lot as a synergistic hip extensor (since your feet are planted your knees can't extend so the hip moves instead)

The RDL is much more of an eccentric hammering of the hamstrings, glutes and lower back obtained by basically not bending your knees more than a tiny bit. The bar lowers and raises through hinging your hips and only your hip joint - and it never passes the mid shin. So at mid-shin you should be feeling it hard in your hamstring and lower back as your back naturally must be bent over more than a regular DL.

Personally I feel an enormous difference in my hamstrings between the two, the difference in form is notable. In fact its not uncommon to find people saying they just don't feel deadlifts in their hamstrings. But if you aren't feeling your hammys in an RDL you're doing it wrong.
nuclear500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #168
Montecore
Snitch/3/1 Disciple
 
Montecore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On my fainting couch
Posts: 63,326
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSlant View Post
they are like 1-2 inch below parallel in the side view video. don't need to be ATG imo
I think we might need a circa 2014 fakeb style red lining, because I disagree pretty strongly. Or just call me a N1Hesque #sperger and move on. Either one works, really.
Montecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #169
nuclear500
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuclear500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,620
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

The loose pants make it difficult. I think the crease of his hip is breaking parallel but not the top of his leg.
nuclear500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #170
Montecore
Snitch/3/1 Disciple
 
Montecore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On my fainting couch
Posts: 63,326
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

I was looking at the top of his quads, yes. We're also essentially built the same, so I might have some preconceived notions about what proper depth "looks" like, since I know what it looks like for me.
Montecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #171
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Interesting, I didn't think there would be doubt about depth this time. To me it seems clear I'm below parallel at least in the side view vid.
I guess there's no harm in working on mobility and trying to go slightly lower though.

About the belt, I think I just need to get used to it more. I had it set so that I could really push out my stomach against it with proper breathing, but I probably failed proper breathing on a couple of reps.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #172
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear500 View Post
I wouldn't call an RDL half a normal deadlift because in the deadlift the musculature is worked primarily in a concentric manner and you are engaging your quads to a degree, however minor, and it does aid a lot as a synergistic hip extensor (since your feet are planted your knees can't extend so the hip moves instead)

The RDL is much more of an eccentric hammering of the hamstrings, glutes and lower back obtained by basically not bending your knees more than a tiny bit. The bar lowers and raises through hinging your hips and only your hip joint - and it never passes the mid shin. So at mid-shin you should be feeling it hard in your hamstring and lower back as your back naturally must be bent over more than a regular DL.

Personally I feel an enormous difference in my hamstrings between the two, the difference in form is notable. In fact its not uncommon to find people saying they just don't feel deadlifts in their hamstrings. But if you aren't feeling your hammys in an RDL you're doing it wrong.
Thanks yea I do feel RDL more in the hamstrings. I don't make it all the way down to mid shin though, only slightly below the knee, as far as my flexibility allows me to go.
I posted a RDL vid a couple of posts back so let me know if you think my form is off
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 AM   #173
Aidan
RAWR!!! I LIFT AND DRINK ALCOHOL!! RAWR!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: back trying to make it
Posts: 23,470
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

High for me, too
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #174
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

PUSH

BP: warmups, 4x5x175
Press: 4x5x112 (PR)
Incline: 3x7x135 (PR)
Fly: 12x80, 2x12x100
Cable lateral raise: 11x35, 2x12x35
Lying tricep: 3x12x75
Tricep pushdown: 2x12x160, 12x170

rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #175
BreakingYourNuts
old hand
 
BreakingYourNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,242
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAv View Post
Thanks yea I do feel RDL more in the hamstrings. I don't make it all the way down to mid shin though, only slightly below the knee, as far as my flexibility allows me to go.
I posted a RDL vid a couple of posts back so let me know if you think my form is off
Let me start by saying that I'm by no means an expert. I like to do RDL fairly light and go down to mid shin, that way I feel like I get a much better stretch in the hamstrings compared to when I go as heavy as possible.
BreakingYourNuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online