Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Health and Fitness Discussion of health and fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #26
00Snitch
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
00Snitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brosbane
Posts: 20,526
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

I almost forgot one weird tip that trainers hate!

Try gripping the bar with your thumbs around instead of over the top.
00Snitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #27
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

I guess I'll just have to try both approaches and see what works

^ The bar I use is very wide and a thumbless grip is much more comfortable. I could do pull-ups at the cable station but I never liked that, the bar is pretty low so really have to do my best not to touch the ground when doing pullups there.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #28
00Snitch
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
00Snitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brosbane
Posts: 20,526
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Yep, they probably both work.
00Snitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #29
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Leg day

Good workout overall but my grip is becoming a problem on RDL's. It's failing about halfway through last set. Very annoying to have grip be the limiting factor. Probably have to start using straps

Squat: 20xbar, 10x40, 8x70, 5x90, 5x107,5x4
RDL: 132,5x7x2, 132,5x4
Split squat: 95lbsx7x3
Leg curl: 104x12x3
Leg press: 185x12x3
Calf raise: 217,5x13x3
Kneeling cable crunch: 140lbsx14x3
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #30
00Snitch
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
00Snitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brosbane
Posts: 20,526
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

No pullups?
00Snitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #31
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Snitch View Post
No pullups?


Thought I'd do some afterwards but I was ***** spent. Thinking of trying Monte's approach first and/or adding some on push day.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #32
Contemplater
banned
 
Contemplater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Huge props to PS shills...
Posts: 494
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

I'm pretty tall (1,98m) and skinny with long arms, too. I'd recommend to give DB-exercises for chest a shot, since long arms and being skinny makes it difficult to hit the chest well when doing BB-bench.
Contemplater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:20 AM   #33
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contemplater View Post
I'm pretty tall (1,98m) and skinny with long arms, too. I'd recommend to give DB-exercises for chest a shot, since long arms and being skinny makes it difficult to hit the chest well when doing BB-bench.
I like BB because it's easier to progressive overload (2,5kg increases instead of 5lbs per hand)
Why would long arms make it have less effect? If anything the range of motion is longer, no?
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #34
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Push day

Feeling not great today. My gf probably gave me her cold she has been dealing with for a couple of days. No reason not to go lift some weights obviously.

BP: 20xbar, 10x40, 8x50, 5x60, 5x72,5x4
Press: 5x42,5
Incline BP: 3x52,5x8
Incline cable fly: 11x100lbsx3
DB lateral raise: 10x30lbsx3
Lying Tricep extension: 11x35x3
Overhead tricep extension: 11x40x3

Pullups 3x5

Put my BP and Press on video. Let me know what you guys think of form.





On a sidenote I keep getting static shocks from the gym equipment after loading/unloading plates. Super annoying.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #35
nuclear500
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuclear500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,620
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAv View Post
I like BB because it's easier to progressive overload (2,5kg increases instead of 5lbs per hand)
Why would long arms make it have less effect? If anything the range of motion is longer, no?
Longer arms only make the lift more difficult overall because of the distance the bar has to travel. It really shouldn't affect the level of activation of the pectorals - that comes down to the type of lift (and others on here might argue the Bodybuilder vs Powerlifter style).

Dumbbells big advantage is that while the bottom position will have your hands in roughly the same place as with a bar, you can bring your hands closer together at the top performing a greater degree of humerus adduction (upper arm towards midline of body) which is when the pecs get activated a lot more.
nuclear500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #36
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear500 View Post
Longer arms only make the lift more difficult overall because of the distance the bar has to travel. It really shouldn't affect the level of activation of the pectorals - that comes down to the type of lift (and others on here might argue the Bodybuilder vs Powerlifter style).



Dumbbells big advantage is that while the bottom position will have your hands in roughly the same place as with a bar, you can bring your hands closer together at the top performing a greater degree of humerus adduction (upper arm towards midline of body) which is when the pecs get activated a lot more.


Yea I could see that. My guess is I'll be fine though with the volume and flye's in there.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #37
ExpectedV
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ExpectedV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: @YoungTiltt
Posts: 11,752
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

gl man. You're DL'n better than me already, conventional that is.
ExpectedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #38
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedV View Post
gl man. You're DL'n better than me already, conventional that is.


Thanks man!
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #39
khanrava
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
khanrava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Adsman's book
Posts: 10,583
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAv View Post
Leg day

Good workout overall but my grip is becoming a problem on RDL's. It's failing about halfway through last set. Very annoying to have grip be the limiting factor. Probably have to start using straps
Do you use chalk?
khanrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #40
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanrava View Post
Do you use chalk?
I do not. My gym is not a very serious gym and apart from me I've never seen anyone even do deadlifts, RDL's and even squats to depth. I guess in that environment I'm not very comfortable getting chalk all over the place. I'm not even sure my gym allows it.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #41
Montecore
Snitch/3/1 Disciple
 
Montecore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On my fainting couch
Posts: 63,326
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Liquid chalk is your friend
Montecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #42
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

I'll look into that. Not sure where to get that around here, will have to do some searching (Bangkok area)
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:41 AM   #43
Montecore
Snitch/3/1 Disciple
 
Montecore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On my fainting couch
Posts: 63,326
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Amazon has it, if it's available there.

What are you doing in Bangkok? Poker?
Montecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #44
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
Amazon has it, if it's available there.

What are you doing in Bangkok? Poker?
Yea most products don't ship to Thailand and if they do it gets expensive real quick with shipping and import fees. $50 for a small bottle of chalk, meh.

Nah I suck at poker. It's more of a classic cliche. Went on holiday, met a girl, went back, went back again and decided to stick around here for a bit
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #45
Renton555
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,530
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Bangkok is a big enough city that there's gonna be chalk available somewhere. I found some at a store in Chiang Mai a few years ago.

As for using it, just keep it in a bag within your gym bag and apply the chalk with your hands in the bag to avoid making a mess. Pretty discreet and you can wipe it off the bar when you're done if you really feel bad about it. Most Asian gyms I've been to don't care but I wouldn't approach them asking about it. Just chalk first and apologize later if necessary.
Renton555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #46
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton555 View Post
Bangkok is a big enough city that there's gonna be chalk available somewhere. I found some at a store in Chiang Mai a few years ago.

As for using it, just keep it in a bag within your gym bag and apply the chalk with your hands in the bag to avoid making a mess. Pretty discreet and you can wipe it off the bar when you're done if you really feel bad about it. Most Asian gyms I've been to don't care but I wouldn't approach them asking about it. Just chalk first and apologize later if necessary.
Yea finding normal chalk isn't the issue, I can just order that online as well from a thai webshop. Haven't found one with liquid chalk though.
I'll just try using it somewhat discreetly and if they have an issue I'll deal with that then.
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #47
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Pull day

Still feeling pretty crappy and that affected energy levels and focus during workout, and as a result my form as well. So not the greatest workout.

DL: 60x10, 80x8, 100x5, 115x5x4
Pullup: BWx5x4
Pendlay; 62,5x8x3
Seated: 195lbsx7x3
Rear delt flye; 25x11x3
Facepull: 65x12x3
Drag curl; 25x13x2, 25x11
Incline hammer curl; 40x11x3

Lack of focus/energy = sloppy DL's
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #48
Contemplater
banned
 
Contemplater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Huge props to PS shills...
Posts: 494
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAv View Post
I like BB because it's easier to progressive overload (2,5kg increases instead of 5lbs per hand)
Why would long arms make it have less effect? If anything the range of motion is longer, no?
When you have long arms but not very long clavicles/ much shoulder width, you have a higher activation of shoulder and triceps at BB-benching than someone with short arms and wider shoulders, hence why it's easier to hit your chest with DBs than with a BB.
If you use a wide grip, shoulder will do most of the work, and with a Close grip, it'll mostly be triceps. Ofc that's true for People of all different body-types, but it's ofc worse for tall and skinny people compared to smaller T-Rex sorta body-types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear500 View Post
Dumbbells big advantage is that while the bottom position will have your hands in roughly the same place as with a bar, you can bring your hands closer together at the top performing a greater degree of humerus adduction (upper arm towards midline of body) which is when the pecs get activated a lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAv View Post
Yea I could see that. My guess is I'll be fine though with the volume and flye's in there.
I think so, too. Just keep the DB flys in the mix, or use DB-press whenever you get tired of BB press, or they don't feel/work well anymore.
Contemplater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #49
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 103,400
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

if those are your sloppy DLs, you're doing well.
kidcolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #50
rAv
veteran
 
rAv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 2,018
Re: Tired of "Do you even lift, brah?" rAv's lifting log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contemplater View Post
When you have long arms but not very long clavicles/ much shoulder width, you have a higher activation of shoulder and triceps at BB-benching than someone with short arms and wider shoulders, hence why it's easier to hit your chest with DBs than with a BB.
If you use a wide grip, shoulder will do most of the work, and with a Close grip, it'll mostly be triceps. Ofc that's true for People of all different body-types, but it's ofc worse for tall and skinny people compared to smaller T-Rex sorta body-types.





I think so, too. Just keep the DB flys in the mix, or use DB-press whenever you get tired of BB press, or they don't feel/work well anymore.

Interesting, thanks for explaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
if those are your sloppy DLs, you're doing well.

I guess they still look ok. They felt very loose and "off" though
rAv is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online