Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Health and Fitness Discussion of health and fitness

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #1701
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTheMick2 View Post
Nah. Potatoes that taste like potatoes are great. Fries that aren't crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside aren't worth eating - just have boiled potatoes and skip the fat completely.
+infinity

you're heading down a steep slope of confirmation bias with defending something that's supposed to taste like A because it tastes like B when if you really want B you should just eat that instead

potato dumplings are the superior form of spud though imo
rickroll is offline  
Old 07-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #1702
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 38,253
Re: Project ABP

Best fries are made with one of these.


Boiling/baking potatoes first and cubing them and roasting on grill with some sage, thyme, rosemary, garlic and lemon >>>>>>>>>>>>>
gregorio is offline  
Old 07-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #1703
loco
The First Golden
 
loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Puddle of SALTS nowhere near IEL
Posts: 14,149
Re: Project ABP

Now we talking, that sounds dilly.


I like gnocchi better than fries but in general not a big fan of the potato. Even though it appears to be the highest satiety food in existence.
loco is offline  
Old 07-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #1704
Melkerson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,229
Re: Project ABP

I'm just catching up here, but is loco actually trying to argue that in-n-out potatoes, cooked poorly by frying in oil are not only better tasting, but also healthier than other potatoes cooked by a better method in a different fat.

Loco, I think you need to recuse your self from all potato-based discussions. Clearly your hatred for these things has clouded your judgement.

While BTM2's method seems like it would probably taste great, I think the first round of cooking doesn't necessarily have to be frying to have good tasting fries. Parboiling or baking as gregorio suggests is fine. For example, I don't think McDonald's fries them twice, and they have a decent fast food fry.
Melkerson is offline  
Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 PM   #1705
loco
The First Golden
 
loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Puddle of SALTS nowhere near IEL
Posts: 14,149
Re: Project ABP

I am arguing that I like them more than the other fast food restaurants. I actually eat them when my gf leaves them behind. And once in a while I give them a 10/10 because they are salted and cooked enough for my tastes (I like to see the skin and browning). And the control is a million times better than the other fast food restaurants. You never get old ones.

I did get a mustard grilled 3x2 protein style today. A little messy but I do think its better. Probably melkerson's greatest contribution to the forum. I am shocked that it is good food related. With all that lifting and running, I would have thought it would be exercise related.

Reminds me of nuclear. Most annoying poster ever but one day reccomended me Dr Andrew Lock to learn about my back rehab. Game changer. And even though he is super annoying, I remember him fondly and I am thankful. Someday when I die, I will remember melkerson. Super annoying poster who adds nothing but then makes a contribution out of left field.
loco is offline  
Old 07-28-2020, 12:16 AM   #1706
Melkerson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,229
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
I am arguing that I like them more than the other fast food restaurants. I actually eat them when my gf leaves them behind. And once in a while I give them a 10/10 because they are salted and cooked enough for my tastes (I like to see the skin and browning). And the control is a million times better than the other fast food restaurants. You never get old ones.

I did get a mustard grilled 3x2 protein style today. A little messy but I do think its better. Probably melkerson's greatest contribution to the forum. I am shocked that it is good food related. With all that lifting and running, I would have thought it would be exercise related.

Reminds me of nuclear. Most annoying poster ever but one day reccomended me Dr Andrew Lock to learn about my back rehab. Game changer. And even though he is super annoying, I remember him fondly and I am thankful. Someday when I die, I will remember melkerson. Super annoying poster who adds nothing but then makes a contribution out of left field.
Always happy to be of service to my fellow H&Fers.

And just for you, with respect to bolded, here is potential game changer #2. If you order the fries "well done", then they will cook them longer so they are crispier and more browned. Don't get me wrong, they're still terrible as far as I'm concerned, but definitely less terrible.

P.S. Do I get any credit for converting you from feet-on-wall pushups to pushups on steps? By no means a game changer, but I thought I'd get at least an honorable mention for that.

Last edited by Melkerson; 07-28-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Melkerson is offline  
Old 07-28-2020, 06:08 AM   #1707
BrianTheMick2
Long way to go and a short time to get there.
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18,304
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkerson View Post
While BTM2's method seems like it would probably taste great, I think the first round of cooking doesn't necessarily have to be frying to have good tasting fries. Parboiling or baking as gregorio suggests is fine. For example, I don't think McDonald's fries them twice, and they have a decent fast food fry.
boiling does also work. It is actually harder to do, as they fall apart too easily.

Orio's recipe sounds quite nice.
BrianTheMick2 is offline  
Old 07-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #1708
Soulman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Soulman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kettleballin'
Posts: 31,644
Re: Project ABP

This is the A+ chefskiss.jpg verified method of roasting potates: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...roast-potatoes

Insanely good. Add herbs as desired.

loco again confirming his food donkishness. Don't like potatoes? Roast potatoes, creamy cheese potatoes (e.g. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...se-potato-bake), boiled and added to potato salads (not the heavy donk kind loco), pommes anna, mashed potatoes, salt baked potatoes, hasselback potatoes...the list is ****ing endless. Though most of them are, of course, loaded with calories, so not something for daily living. Which explains loco's aversion somewhat.

Could just be said like this.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Soulman; 07-28-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Soulman is offline  
Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #1709
Soulman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Soulman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kettleballin'
Posts: 31,644
Re: Project ABP

Also, they're great for hemorrhoids!

Soulman is offline  
Old 07-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #1710
marknfw
<place holder>
 
marknfw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 8,907
Re: Project ABP

Kenji potatoes pretty damn good.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...er-recipe.html
marknfw is offline  
Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #1711
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
Re: Project ABP

gnochi is tight but the real deal is from those slavs

i honestly don't know what they're called because i need to use the english menu and i buy them with all these cyrillic letters on em in russian shops near the embassies but they got salmon, some kind of cheeseish dairy filler, and potato and they are the the bomb

a polack once referred to them as pierogis and that's something that sounds familiar so i'm guessing that's what they are called in the US but i'm from new england where it's mostly wasps and so not many poles and pierogis to go around - only ever ran into this in slavic countries and shops/restaurants in their expat communities
rickroll is offline  
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 AM   #1712
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 10,302
Re: Project ABP

I had gnocchi for the first time last month. It's pretty amazing. It was in some crazy cream sauce with mushrooms and bacon though. I just remembered it existed from this thread and ordered some, macros look decent enough to have as a carb source.
Evoken is offline  
Old 07-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #1713
Alpha Fish
Pooh-Bah
 
Alpha Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,516
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroll View Post
gnochi is tight but the real deal is from those slavs

i honestly don't know what they're called because i need to use the english menu and i buy them with all these cyrillic letters on em in russian shops near the embassies but they got salmon, some kind of cheeseish dairy filler, and potato and they are the the bomb

a polack once referred to them as pierogis and that's something that sounds familiar so i'm guessing that's what they are called in the US but i'm from new england where it's mostly wasps and so not many poles and pierogis to go around - only ever ran into this in slavic countries and shops/restaurants in their expat communities


those little bastards?
Alpha Fish is offline  
Old 07-29-2020, 11:33 PM   #1714
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Fish View Post


those little bastards?
yes those are them
rickroll is offline  
Old 07-30-2020, 02:06 AM   #1715
Alpha Fish
Pooh-Bah
 
Alpha Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,516
Re: Project ABP

yeah Pierogi I guess is what our Polish comrades call them

in Russian they are called вареники (va-RE-knee-key)

if you like them you might be a customer for "syrniki" (fried cottage cheese pancakes) as well. it's a typical Russian breakfast fare
Alpha Fish is offline  
Old 07-30-2020, 02:17 AM   #1716
Soulman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Soulman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kettleballin'
Posts: 31,644
Re: Project ABP

Pierogis confirmed delicious. Gnocchi confirmed delicious. loco confirmed food donk. it's ok man, we all derp like one of our fallen comrades used to say.
Soulman is offline  
Old 07-30-2020, 05:16 AM   #1717
BrianTheMick2
Long way to go and a short time to get there.
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18,304
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroll View Post
gnochi is tight but the real deal is from those slavs

i honestly don't know what they're called because i need to use the english menu and i buy them with all these cyrillic letters on em in russian shops near the embassies but they got salmon, some kind of cheeseish dairy filler, and potato and they are the the bomb

a polack once referred to them as pierogis and that's something that sounds familiar so i'm guessing that's what they are called in the US but i'm from new england where it's mostly wasps and so not many poles and pierogis to go around - only ever ran into this in slavic countries and shops/restaurants in their expat communities
Not THAT far from New England:

BrianTheMick2 is offline  
Old 07-30-2020, 06:19 AM   #1718
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Fish View Post
yeah Pierogi I guess is what our Polish comrades call them

in Russian they are called вареники (va-RE-knee-key)

if you like them you might be a customer for "syrniki" (fried cottage cheese pancakes) as well. it's a typical Russian breakfast fare
yes! fried cottage cheese, could never figure out what it was just knew it was dairy related - when i lived near the russian embassy i ate those things all the time and they are so good potato the best though - surprisingly liked salmon the least
rickroll is offline  
Old 08-02-2020, 12:49 AM   #1719
Number1Hater
 
Number1Hater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,814
Re: Project ABP

WTF???

IM GONE FOR A COUPLE DAYS(ON MY PURPOSE) AND THIS THREAD TURNS INTO SOME FACKING FOOD CRITIC NONSENSE??? EMBARRASSING. THIS IS A H+F SECTION.

ITS AMAZING. ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE,DEDICATION, AND TALK ABOUT FOOD. MAYBE TRY THAT DEDICATION TO THE GYM OR YOUR PURPOSE???

SAD REALLY.
Number1Hater is offline  
Old 08-02-2020, 12:54 AM   #1720
Number1Hater
 
Number1Hater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,814
Re: Project ABP

ON MY GRIND.

WEEK 2 DAY 2
TUESDAY 7/28

Bench Press(5x2, 5x1+):
135x5
135x5
135x13 AMRAP
Deadlift(5x1+):
265x20 AMRAP
Chin up(AMRAPx2):
10x9
10x6
BB Curl(12x2):
60x12x2


WEEK 2 DAY 3
THURSDAY 7/30

OHP(5x2, 5x1+):
105x5
105x5
105x13 AMRAP
Squat(5x2, 5x1+):
190x5
190x5
190x16 AMRAP
Chin up(AMRAPx2):
10x10
10x6
BB Curl(12x2):
60x12x2



THE SORENESS IS GONE. UP 5ISH POUNDS. BEEN EATING A LOT OF PROTEIN. DAILY I TAKE AND EAT 2 SERVINGS WHEY, 6-8OZ CHICKEN BREAST WITH RICE, A PROTEIN BAR AT THE LOCAL 7/11, MY EGG BITES FROM WORK, AND 2 SERVINGS OF GREEK YOGURT. ALSO DON'T FORGET MY PROTEIN PASTA.

I WAS DOING NY STRIP STEAKS, BUT ITS GETTING EXPENSIVE. I BEEN EATING THAT 2-3X/WEEK. I WENT TO WHOLE FOODS LAST NIGHT AND I SEE SKIRT STEAK. WAY CHEAPER. THE TASTE IS THE SAME TO ME. I THINK SKIRT STEAK MIGHT EVEN TASTE BETTER. ALSO FASTER TO SEAR. REALLY JUICY.

SEE YOU SOON, GOT THE STARBUCKS GRAVEYARD SHIFT IN 4 HRS.
Number1Hater is offline  
Old 08-02-2020, 06:27 AM   #1721
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Hater View Post
WTF???

IM GONE FOR A COUPLE DAYS(ON MY PURPOSE) AND THIS THREAD TURNS INTO SOME FACKING FOOD CRITIC NONSENSE??? EMBARRASSING. THIS IS A H+F SECTION.

ITS AMAZING. ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE,DEDICATION, AND TALK ABOUT FOOD. MAYBE TRY THAT DEDICATION TO THE GYM OR YOUR PURPOSE???

SAD REALLY.
just 5 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Hater View Post
THE SORENESS IS GONE. UP 5ISH POUNDS. BEEN EATING A LOT OF PROTEIN. DAILY I TAKE AND EAT 2 SERVINGS WHEY, 6-8OZ CHICKEN BREAST WITH RICE, A PROTEIN BAR AT THE LOCAL 7/11, MY EGG BITES FROM WORK, AND 2 SERVINGS OF GREEK YOGURT. ALSO DON'T FORGET MY PROTEIN PASTA.

I WAS DOING NY STRIP STEAKS, BUT ITS GETTING EXPENSIVE. I BEEN EATING THAT 2-3X/WEEK. I WENT TO WHOLE FOODS LAST NIGHT AND I SEE SKIRT STEAK. WAY CHEAPER. THE TASTE IS THE SAME TO ME. I THINK SKIRT STEAK MIGHT EVEN TASTE BETTER. ALSO FASTER TO SEAR. REALLY JUICY.

SEE YOU SOON, GOT THE STARBUCKS GRAVEYARD SHIFT IN 4 HRS.
rickroll is offline  
Old 08-02-2020, 06:34 AM   #1722
Soulman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Soulman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kettleballin'
Posts: 31,644
Re: Project ABP

ASP,

have you considered that food might be our purpoise?
Soulman is offline  
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #1723
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 10,302
Re: Project ABP

ABP This is a good diet and good deadlifts. DLs for reps over 12 are just killer and build a ton of MASS and endurance. Skirt and Flank steak are great budget cuts with awesome macros.

I have no idea what the latino population is like in Chicago, but look on google maps for a carneciera and you'll find lots of delicious pre marinaded skirt/flank for lower than grocery store prices at these places.
Evoken is offline  
Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #1724
coordi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
coordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On the shorter side
Posts: 21,574
Re: Project ABP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
look on google maps for a carneciera and you'll find lots of delicious pre marinaded skirt/flank for lower than grocery store prices at these places.
This might be the best advice ever given out in this thread
coordi is offline  
Old 08-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #1725
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 10,302
Re: Project ABP

cept i spelled it wrong. carneceria
Evoken is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive