Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Health and Fitness Discussion of health and fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 AM   #26
Aidan
RAWR!!! I LIFT AND DRINK ALCOHOL!! RAWR!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: back trying to make it
Posts: 23,470
Re: Josie 2.0

She wants "muscle mass, more so than weight loss", but I did overlook the knee issues. Actually making measurable progress is a great motivator too, though.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 AM   #27
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 8,391
Re: Josie 2.0

I've skimmed this 3 times and can't find your body weight, height, or any pics currently.

If you are very fat, just work on getting your activity level up and work on building long-term sustainable dietary changes. Watch a lot of meal prep videos on youtube. This might be a good place to start, but obviously there's a ****ton of resources on the web:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ClassyChefStef

You are not a competitive bodybuilder; you need a diet that actually tastes good and you can easily comply with, but that also is conducive to fat loss/muscle building. You shouldn't feel like these changes are some kind of "suffering", but just a new thing you plan on doing for many years to come.

In this case of very fat, just have some fun in the gym, do a few sessions with a PT, try out a lot of exercises and try to get good at them(including barbells), and do some group exercise classes. Women who are brand new almost always have very strange insecurities and embarrassment when they start visiting the gym regularly, even the young, in decent shape, and relatively athletic ones. I bet a lot of them would be more compliant if it weren't for the self-consciousness. Do whatever you gotta do to alleviate this, even if that means showing up and dicking around or messing around in yoga. Your mobility/flexibility is going to be dog**** and being megafat is going to make it a lot worse and you honestly won't be able to adapt to the workload of a hard barbell training program for a while.


If you are not megafat, then start with a focusing on learning the barbell lifts as efficiently and quickly as possible so you can begin a barbell training program like GSLP.


I'm kinda suspecting from your OP you may not have the lifestyle and sort of baseline fitness where you can start a barbell training program within the next 2 weeks; it might be more like 2 months. That's totally okay. Spend a lot of time just getting good at the lifts you're going to do as part of the program with lighter weights before you formalize it in a program of progressive resistance.

Last edited by Evoken; 04-25-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Evoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #28
Syndr0m
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Syndr0m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: China
Posts: 6,708
Re: Josie 2.0

I have to admit I kinda overlooked the muscle mass part myself.

Any pictures of your current status (or someone similar to you) and your ideal physique OP?
Syndr0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #29
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 8,391
Re: Josie 2.0

and hell a typical bikini girl workout from some ****ty fitness website is probably fine too given your knee issues. It's going to be hard to squat twice a week with that concern.
Evoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #30
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Squatting is def out. Knees can't do it.

I'm 5' 1.5". I've been 148 lbs for the past 2 months. I've lost about 75 lbs from diet, walking, cardio and yoga and free weights, all YouTube videos.

Not fat, but some hanging skin. I do have muscle tone in upper body now but want to go to next level.
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #31
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndr0m View Post
I have to admit I kinda overlooked the muscle mass part myself.

Any pictures of your current status (or someone similar to you) and your ideal physique OP?
I don't know how to load a pic. If I can figure it out I'll take a pic from the gym tonight.
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #32
Mr.mmmKay
Drugs are bad...
 
Mr.mmmKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,238
Re: Josie 2.0

You have to upload the pic here and then post the link
Mr.mmmKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #33
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mmmKay View Post
You have to upload the pic here and then post the link
Or maybe I could send it to you and you do it?

I don't get any techy shiat. I suppose I could try it in a little while if you don't wanna help a poor untech savvy person.
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,819
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
Tues: elliptical, water aerobics class, arms, chest, shoulders, back, core

Wed: Zumba class, lower body & abs

Thurs: spinning class, arms, chest, shoulders, back, core

Friday: play poker!

Sat: yoga & upper body

Sun: swimming & lower body

Does this seem decent? I want to see which activity I enjoy most, but I think I'll like them all.
Seems a little aggressive with the multiple activities each day.
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #35
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 8,391
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
Squatting is def out. Knees can't do it.

I'm 5' 1.5". I've been 148 lbs for the past 2 months. I've lost about 75 lbs from diet, walking, cardio and yoga and free weights, all YouTube videos.

Not fat, but some hanging skin. I do have muscle tone in upper body now but want to go to next level.
5'1 148 is not megafat, you can probably proceed to something with barbells pretty damn soon.


Have you actually tried it?

Don't discount yourself right away; you might find it actually has positive effects on your knee health.
Evoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #36
Mr.mmmKay
Drugs are bad...
 
Mr.mmmKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,238
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
Or maybe I could send it to you and you do it?

I don't get any techy shiat. I suppose I could try it in a little while if you don't wanna help a poor untech savvy person.
If you can find a way to send it to me I could do it, but on Imgur it's only like 2 clicks so it shouldn't be too hard.
Mr.mmmKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #37
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
Seems a little aggressive with the multiple activities each day.
Should there be more rest days? Thats why I'm asking. Just joined the gym on Sunday and I'm very excited to try all they have to offer.

How many days is optimal?
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #38
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mmmKay View Post
If you can find a way to send it to me I could do it, but on Imgur it's only like 2 clicks so it shouldn't be too hard.
Okay I'll try it. Would I have better success with my iphone or pc?
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #39
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
5'1 148 is not megafat, you can probably proceed to something with barbells pretty damn soon.


Have you actually tried it?

Don't discount yourself right away; you might find it actually has positive effects on your knee health.
No I haven't tried it. I've been working out with free weights at home, starting w 6lbs and have worked my way to 10 lbs ea.

Thank you - I will try - personal trainer Wed night.
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #40
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
5'1 148 is not megafat, you can probably proceed to something with barbells pretty damn soon.


Have you actually tried it?

Don't discount yourself right away; you might find it actually has positive effects on your knee health.
When you say barbells what do you mean exactly? small dumbells or the long bar that you put weights on?
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #41
cha59
ARTist
 
cha59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: I like meat.
Posts: 23,523
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
My goal is 100 grams but I don't always hit it. 80-100 avg.
I'd increase the protein goal by about 25 grams a day and dont go below that while keeping calories about the same. This is easy to do if you focus on eating mostly lean meat and vegetables.

I skimmed over a lot of the other replies, but the advice about doing more resistance exercise is right.
cha59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #42
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,819
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
Just joined the gym on Sunday and I'm very excited to try all they have to offer.
How long do you expect to be in the gym to accomplish all of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
Tues: elliptical, water aerobics class, arms, chest, shoulders, back, core
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #43
Mr.mmmKay
Drugs are bad...
 
Mr.mmmKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,238
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
Okay I'll try it. Would I have better success with my iphone or pc?


This method is for pc. I've heard it's also really easy to post pics using tapatalk on your phone but I haven't tried that yet
Mr.mmmKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #44
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
How long do you expect to be in the gym to accomplish all of this?
2 hours but I'm in no rush. 1 hr for the water aerobics class, which may be a waste of time if it doesn't get my heart rate up, but I'll try it. And then 1 hr max to work on upper body.
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #45
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mmmKay View Post
This method is for pc. I've heard it's also really easy to post pics using tapatalk on your phone but I haven't tried that yet
Yeah I have resisted downloading tapatalk on my phone, maybe I'll do it at lunchtime.

TY for all of your assistance/advice.
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #46
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha59 View Post
I'd increase the protein goal by about 25 grams a day and dont go below that while keeping calories about the same. This is easy to do if you focus on eating mostly lean meat and vegetables.

I skimmed over a lot of the other replies, but the advice about doing more resistance exercise is right.
I was about to say I do not like protein shakes - have a hard time getting them down, but I will work on more protein via real food.

Thank you for the advice - I didn't know how much ****ing protein I should be consuming.

Last edited by Very Josie; 04-25-2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: to say ty
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #47
cha59
ARTist
 
cha59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: I like meat.
Posts: 23,523
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
I was about to say I do not like protein shakes - have a hard time getting them down, but I will work on more protein via real food.

Thank you for the advice - I didn't know how much ****ing protein I should be consuming.


Getting enough protein is important for body composition. Resistance training is also important for that. Protein shakes are fine too, but eating real food is better.
cha59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #48
Holliday
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Holliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forum Withdrawal's world
Posts: 15,818
Re: Josie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Josie View Post
2 hours but I'm in no rush. 1 hr for the water aerobics class, which may be a waste of time if it doesn't get my heart rate up, but I'll try it. And then 1 hr max to work on upper body.
In general, other than for a brief warmup, it's better to do cardio in a separate session or after weights.

A barbell is the big bar. A dumbell is the little one. Most of us here use barbells for all the big compound movements.
Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #49
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

What I'd like to look like, tho I know I wouldn't look quite like this


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #50
Very Josie
tight-lipped
 
Very Josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: 2+2, 24x7
Posts: 1,628
Re: Josie 2.0

Here's some current body shots. I can take better ones in gym clothes if needed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very Josie is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online