Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Health and Fitness Discussion of health and fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #76
Blarg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chairmoistening Sector 7G
Posts: 53,533
Re: General Gym Observations

MdDonalds does it.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:13 AM   #77
suzzer99
self-banned
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on top of the bell curve
Posts: 82,106
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloom View Post
My gym plays a constant loop of Gwen Stefani and Shaggy.
You're lucky. Mine is Gwen Stefani and Creed.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #78
tsearcher
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 3,854
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackInDaCrak View Post
Dark socks and tennis shoes = came from the office, brought shoes and forgot a change of socks.
Or there was a great sale on Nike wicking running socks that happened to be black. And someone was happy to get a bargain and protect his feet from blisters at the same time. And really didn't care what some goofball, at the gym, thought about the color of his socks.
tsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #79
AsH_KeTcHuM
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living vicariously
Posts: 1,135
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
Yes, cause they are on teh juice. Are you gonna start anymore stupid ass threads? Or just enlighten us with more ambiguously ghey photography?
Thremp... if you think my stretching thread is gay its because its over your head. POst some pics.... you in better shape than me? I'm not a genetic freak, I worked to get like that from damn near scratch... stretching is something I never put any effort into before, and to my surprise is making a huge difference now. put the hatorade down son... go stretch. One day you might be able to get some dome this way
AsH_KeTcHuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #80
Jihad
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ululating
Posts: 3,835
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsH_KeTcHuM View Post
Thremp... if you think my stretching thread is gay its because its over your head. POst some pics.... you in better shape than me? I'm not a genetic freak, I worked to get like that from damn near scratch... stretching is something I never put any effort into before, and to my surprise is making a huge difference now. put the hatorade down son... go stretch. One day you might be able to get some dome this way
Don't know the history, so I won't say "owned", but....um....
Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #81
Thremp
banned
 
Thremp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I lurve bewbs
Posts: 36,452
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsH_KeTcHuM View Post
Thremp... if you think my stretching thread is gay its because its over your head. POst some pics.... you in better shape than me? I'm not a genetic freak, I worked to get like that from damn near scratch... stretching is something I never put any effort into before, and to my surprise is making a huge difference now. put the hatorade down son... go stretch. One day you might be able to get some dome this way
Sorry, my banana hammock is at the cleaners. No pose down for me today.

Regardless to expand on why you're wrong. Most of the huge guys in the gym who do only curls/machines/etc do so because they are bodybuilders. Some guys use a pec deck because it provides the exact stimulus they are looking for. They aren't interested in strength and like most people probably have difficulty with their own genetics and may need a ton of isolation for correct proportion. Also, you'll probably see a ton of huge guys on teh juice who use it to cover up the fact they work out v v poorly. Tons of sets to failure, ****ty programming etc etc.

In addition the other post you created is abs retarded. I have nothing against stretching and feel its an integral part to any fitness regime. Though using things like "It enables me to feel every muscle and establish the mind-muscle connection fully" makes you sound like a tard. Things like that are completely ridiculous and possibly stupider than your fanboy Jihad (Gimme that PUMP! ONE TIME! JUIZE!) But I digress. While I agree with your general idea and strongly support it. You phrase it in a terrible way and are somewhat misguided IMO in a lot of advice. Your ab advice in particular was v v poor in the fact you pretend obliques don't exist and ignore the vast functional uses that they have. If you would make posts more like "I like stretching. It is good for you. You should stretch more. Here are reasons. Here are some basic stretching programs." That would be very clutch. In fact I'd probably adopt a majority of it since my stretching atm is very rudimentary. Its just the general fact you usually don't know what you're talking about, and come off as some sort of space cadet who'd spinning off the planet while giving some sort of esoteric reasoning for whatever you're advising.
Thremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #82
AsH_KeTcHuM
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living vicariously
Posts: 1,135
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
Though using things like "It enables me to feel every muscle and establish the mind-muscle connection fully" makes you sound like a tard. Things like that are completely ridiculous and possibly stupider than your fanboy Jihad (Gimme that PUMP! ONE TIME! JUIZE!) But I digress.

dude I'm aware that it might sound kinda lame (the whole mind muscle connection thing) but ............ its true. I dont know what else to say. If you are not very flexible you arent going to be capable of "feeling" your muscles and controlling them to the fullest.

So maybe I sound like a tard but the proof is in the pudding man. I already had a decent physique from lifting alone... and I'm telling you that stretching more has made me improve upon that by a lot.

Not my problem if you're so close minded that it "sounding lame" is gonna prevent you from the next step.
AsH_KeTcHuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #83
Thremp
banned
 
Thremp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I lurve bewbs
Posts: 36,452
Re: General Gym Observations

After reading your last post on the subject.

You are an idiot.
Thremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #84
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 8,399
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuSFwck View Post
Yobz,

Add "socializing" to that list and you're pretty much spot on.


1. Lots of people have no idea how to lift weights/do exercises correctly.
2. You can use the gym mirrors to check out girls without them knowing you're being a creep.
3. Personal trainers (at my gym, atleast) are a waste of time and money.
4. This is sort of a weird, personal belief. Middle-aged (32-40 I guess) women really want to get banged. They keep themselves in pretty good shape at the gym during the day while their husbands are at work. They read all those whack women's magazines about 10 secret sex tricks and how to keep your face looking youthful and crap like that, and they're always looking at/flirting with different guys at the gym. Their fantasy is to bring that trainer from the gym home and let him beat it up like she's 23 years old again. This is an unusual observation, but I see these women in the gym and it's all I can think.

haha, yeah I saw this 50+ year old asian man trying to do butterflies on the machine, he just kinda moved his forearm toward his bicep as his wife looked on. Also love the gym mirrors as well, got caught once, and the chick looked at me like she was ready to disembowel me on the spot.
The 30-45 year old women are hilarious as always.

Last edited by Evoken; 12-09-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Evoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #85
Evoken
2014 Golden Loco
 
Evoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Posts: 8,399
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdzthewurd View Post
Also, zero hot girls in 18-32 range
I've never understood this one. In my college gym there are naturally a few just cause of slanted demographics(and most of them are doing aerobics/yoga some pussy ****), but at any health club type gym, 0. Any theories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post

There are never enough bench presses. I think there is a law that says no gym can ever have more than three.
I don't think I've ever even been able to use the flat press at my gym since it's always taken. The inclined are almost never used, however.
Evoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #86
AsH_KeTcHuM
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living vicariously
Posts: 1,135
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
After reading your last post on the subject.

You are an idiot.

true or false... you need to be smart to be healthy/fit?

true or false... you need to know how to articulate something to be right about it?
AsH_KeTcHuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #87
Mark1808
adept
 
Mark1808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,112
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
I've never understood this one. In my college gym there are naturally a few just cause of slanted demographics(and most of them are doing aerobics/yoga some pussy ****), but at any health club type gym, 0. Any theories?
Hot chicks don't need to work out cuz they are already hot. Duh.

Last edited by Mark1808; 12-09-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Mark1808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #88
rivermetimbers
adept
 
rivermetimbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: stuck on the farm
Posts: 1,134
Re: General Gym Observations

The gym I work at on campus...
1. Is the most crowded from 3:30-6:30PM
2. NOBODY ever brings towels
3. After I end my work shift on Friday (and have planned to workout) the gym is always too crowded to workout
4. The girls on the elipticals always piss me off because they somehow manage to read a magazine or talk on the phone WHILE working out....you seriously can not get a real workout while doing this, its absolutely impossible
5. I love my job because I get paid to literally sit on my ass while watching sorority girls bounce around on the elipticals
6. I hate myself for occasionally hating my job for being so boring because all I do is sit on my ass while watching sorority girls bounce around on the elipticals.
rivermetimbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #89
surfinillini
pessimist
 
surfinillini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,381
Re: General Gym Observations

hmmm...one I realized this morning and never noticed before.

Most people jump on the treadmill and pump it up to the highest level that they can keep up with, be it 7, 8, 9. Nobody stretches or works their way up from a walk to a jog to a run. They all burn out after about 5 min and go do something else.

On the other hand I always stretch, walk/jog/run and do about 2 miles without ever stopping once I hit jog.
surfinillini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #90
00Snitch
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
00Snitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brosbane
Posts: 20,526
Re: General Gym Observations

As a gym noobie, this thread is A+ comedy with some "Wow, I should stop doing that"

Some observations (and responses to others) from my very short gym career.

- For complete newbs, personal trainers are the win. I don't effing know how hi/-low the seat on the chest press machine should be for me lol.

- All the PTs at my gym are very fit. (Well, they look heaps fit anyway...)

- All the water fountains suck.

- I do the same exercises everyday. This will change once I've got some experience under my belt and know what the hell I should be doing.

- I don't give a toss what others think about what I wear to the gym lol. I wear my black socks, general running shoes, long shorts and a singlet that shows off my slightly pudgy gut and chicken skinny arms.

- You pay $10 a month for a gym?! Mine is AUD$66!
00Snitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #91
surfinillini
pessimist
 
surfinillini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,381
Re: General Gym Observations

wow...colleges are officially on break as there were at least a dozen chode obnoxious college douches at the gym last night. Granted I was one of those two years ago, still no excuse for dressing like complete **** and screaming at each other.
surfinillini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #92
Jihad
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ululating
Posts: 3,835
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
Sorry, my banana hammock is at the cleaners. No pose down for me today.

Regardless to expand on why you're wrong. Most of the huge guys in the gym who do only curls/machines/etc do so because they are bodybuilders. Some guys use a pec deck because it provides the exact stimulus they are looking for. They aren't interested in strength and like most people probably have difficulty with their own genetics and may need a ton of isolation for correct proportion. Also, you'll probably see a ton of huge guys on teh juice who use it to cover up the fact they work out v v poorly. Tons of sets to failure, ****ty programming etc etc.

In addition the other post you created is abs retarded. I have nothing against stretching and feel its an integral part to any fitness regime. Though using things like "It enables me to feel every muscle and establish the mind-muscle connection fully" makes you sound like a tard. Things like that are completely ridiculous and possibly stupider than your fanboy Jihad (Gimme that PUMP! ONE TIME! JUIZE!) But I digress. While I agree with your general idea and strongly support it. You phrase it in a terrible way and are somewhat misguided IMO in a lot of advice. Your ab advice in particular was v v poor in the fact you pretend obliques don't exist and ignore the vast functional uses that they have. If you would make posts more like "I like stretching. It is good for you. You should stretch more. Here are reasons. Here are some basic stretching programs." That would be very clutch. In fact I'd probably adopt a majority of it since my stretching atm is very rudimentary. Its just the general fact you usually don't know what you're talking about, and come off as some sort of space cadet who'd spinning off the planet while giving some sort of esoteric reasoning for whatever you're advising.
Thremp,

Regardless of who's right/wrong in any of the conversations we've ever had over the past few months, I fail to see how your demeanoris anything short of inappropriate. If I were a mod here I would have banned you a long time ago from this forum for your overall negative inputs. You consistently come off as the exact type of person generally referred to as a "douche-bag" in this thread, exhibiting many of the annoying "gym observations" even in your writing. I sincerely hope to meet you someday.
Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #93
Thremp
banned
 
Thremp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I lurve bewbs
Posts: 36,452
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihad View Post
I sincerely hope to meet you someday.
I expect this is some sort of thinly veiled threat. I hope you're rich. My lawyer does too.
Thremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #94
POKEROMGLOL
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,847
Re: General Gym Observations

I am sorry, does Jihad have the:

1. intent to cause apprehension, of an imminent battery (harmful or offensive contact)

2. Apparent, present ability to carry out the battery
?

i think not.


Even if you were going to go for a bit of IIED:

liability does not extend for mere insults, indignities, threats annoyances, rough language, inconsiderate, or unkind acts. In other words, must be extremely egregious conduct.
POKEROMGLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #95
Jihad
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ululating
Posts: 3,835
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
I expect this is some sort of thinly veiled threat. I hope you're rich. My lawyer does too.
Never. My career is far too important to waste on fights, I stopped fighting 3 years ago and I'm not rich. I just want to meet you because I have a pretty solid image of the type of guy you are and I would love to validate it and then laugh at you.
Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #96
10379
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: General Gym Observations

I THINK EVERYONE JUST NEEDS TO SETTLE DOWN OK?!!?

But in particular, thremp, I think you need to tone it down with the whole tough guy internet persona. You seem to have a huge holier than thou attitude in the health and fitness forum. Your advice is sound but perhaps you can articulate it in a more positive manner?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #97
suzzer99
self-banned
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on top of the bell curve
Posts: 82,106
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihad View Post
Never. My career is far too important to waste on fights, I stopped fighting 3 years ago and I'm not rich.
So man-slaps in the Home Depot parking lot don't count?
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #98
Jihad
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ululating
Posts: 3,835
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
So man-slaps in the Home Depot parking lot don't count?
LOL busted I forgot all about that. I remember that pretty well, I also remember I was not in a particularly good "place" then. OK, no more fighting, starting like.....now!
Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #99
Thremp
banned
 
Thremp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I lurve bewbs
Posts: 36,452
Re: General Gym Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
But in particular, thremp, I think you need to tone it down with the whole tough guy internet persona. You seem to have a huge holier than thou attitude in the health and fitness forum. Your advice is sound but perhaps you can articulate it in a more positive manner?
I'm referred to as a douche bag by one of the bottom 5 posters on the forum mostly due to the breadth and quality of his advice (in case you're confused, its awful), who makes a weird statement at the end of his post. I counter with a ridiculous assertion that if it was a threat, I would sue him and take his monies. And I'm internet tough man?

Fair enough.
Thremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #100
JackInDaCrak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
JackInDaCrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,368
Re: General Gym Observations

lol thremp.

even if he said, "I'm going to ****ing kill you, tonight"

you couldn't sue him.
JackInDaCrak is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online