Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

EDF Interesting discussion of any and all topics, including Current Events, Entertainment, Politics, Art & Literature, Career, Hobbies, Lifestyle, Travel, Sports, and Gambling. Posts are expected to be intelligent, interesting, and respectful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #4801
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 11,567
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Big,

I thought Blue was like $225 (I know I've spent $200+ on it in the past), but it looks like you can get it for $150 these days.
$150 may change my buying habbits, but i have never seen it below 225.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harris View Post
Cue howls of disapproval, I don't like Lagavulin 16. Too syrupy. I am more an iodine fan, hence the Laphroaig.

Islay is so variable! Not a fan of the sulphur of Ardbog, or the charcoal of Caol Ila. How one wee outpost can make so many flavours...

Best,
Pete
I like the syrupy ones, big fan of Dalmore as well.

fwiw out of Lag/Ardbeg/Caol Ila I think the Caol Ila 18 is the best, i just can never find it.

Lag 18 is nectar of the gods, but they phased that out for the 15, which i have yet to try.
thabighurt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #4802
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,787
Re: Whisky

Tbh,

http://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=610002

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...-label-whisky/
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #4803
El_Timon
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El_Timon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Old fashioned
Posts: 7,079
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabighurt35 View Post
Lag 18 is nectar of the gods, but they phased that out for the 15, which i have yet to try.
I tried the 18 (stashed a couple of bottles some time ago) and the 15 side by side a few weeks ago. I didn't write notes but found the 15 to be excellent, with more character than the 18. That surprised me quite a bit because I'm a big Lag 18 fanboy too.
El_Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #4804
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 11,567
Re: Whisky

KLW doesnt send to Texas or Illinois so these are arbitrary to me (maybe they will to washington?!?), but are good for reference...

I would most likely buy at $154 to have in the cabinet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Timon View Post
I tried the 18 (stashed a couple of bottles some time ago) and the 15 side by side a few weeks ago. I didn't write notes but found the 15 to be excellent, with more character than the 18. That surprised me quite a bit because I'm a big Lag 18 fanboy too.
Will def try the 15 now! would love to do a side by side which will obv be difficult now.
thabighurt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #4805
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,787
Re: Whisky

Ardbeg fans,

https://www.ardbeg.com/whisky/ultimate-range/an-oa

This new standard release Ardbeg sounds pretty good. $59.99 at K&L.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #4806
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,787
Re: Whisky

wil,

That Yamazaki 18 is great. I don't think I'd try it for $55, but it's very good. It used to be reasonably priced, but in the last two years the price has skyrocketed.

Nothing super amazing at that place, but you'd prob enjoy:
MACALLAN 15 YR
MACALLAN 18 YR
OBAN 14 YR

JW Blue flavor profile is super smooth, very well balanced, not much heat, a light sweetness, and a light peat smoke. I think it's a very good whisky, but I just don't think it has the kind of depth of flavor that you can get paying that kind of money.

So the scotches I think you'd really enjoy are some of the smokier Speyside scotches, and some of the lighter Highland scotches. I'm sure you'd like those two Macallans. The Oban might be a little too smoky and/or too briny for your preference. I love it though.

Highland Park 18 is one I bet you'd really enjoy. I think it's like $120/bottle.

At the second place, I bet you'd enjoy the Famous Grouse 18. It has been many years since I had it, so I don't actually remember what it tasted like, but I remember being pleasantly surprised.

Other bottles I think you'd like at this place.

GLENROTHES 1998 - this one is on the simpler, sweeter side, but I think it's great
HIGHLAND PARK 18 YR - def try this
MACALLAN 15 YR
MACALLAN 18 YR
MACALLAN Double Oak - dont know this one
OBAN 14 YR

So def some good stuff for you to try, but besides the Yamazaki 18 these places don't have much super premium stuff at the level of the Blue Label. Curious to hear what you think of the HP 18.

If you have a good liquor store with an online list, I can take a look there for you too if you want.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #4807
El_Timon
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El_Timon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Old fashioned
Posts: 7,079
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabighurt35 View Post
Will def try the 15 now! would love to do a side by side which will obv be difficult now.
I can get you a sample no problem. Just let me know when you get your hands on the 15 and I'll send it out.
El_Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #4808
JudgeHoldem
banned
 
JudgeHoldem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OTP ATL
Posts: 8,198
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Nit View Post
Have you tried Henry McKenna Single Barrel? I think more barrel variation but 100 proof. If you get a decent barrel way better.
picked up a bottle, thanks. I like it a lot

adding it to my standard under 30 rotation
JudgeHoldem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #4809
Da_Nit
Pooh-Bah
 
Da_Nit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Houston via Ruff Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,300
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeHoldem View Post
picked up a bottle, thanks. I like it a lot



adding it to my standard under 30 rotation


Cool glad you liked it, certainly one of my favorites. If you can still find older bottles of Evan Williams single barrel that are still 10 years old they are worth picking up. However if it's the new EWSB that's 8 years or so I'd go with Henry McKenna 10 year any day.

Another option if you can find them is older Elijah Craig bottles that are aged 12 years. They'll have a 12 in the front or will say aged 12 years in the description on the back. My favorite of all of these is is Elijah Craig store picks of barrels aged usually around 10 years. If any store around you had those pick it up! Only thing is the best barrels of Henry McKena 10.
Da_Nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #4810
foobar
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,450
Re: Whisky

American whiskey fans....release season is upon us. Your chances of getting /some/ BTAC should be decent as production for most is way...way up this year. 35k bottles of stagg, and Weller not too far behind. Oddly, Eagle Rare 17 is gonna end up being the most sought after...1.5k bottles I think.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #4811
JudgeHoldem
banned
 
JudgeHoldem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OTP ATL
Posts: 8,198
Re: Whisky

Ready for the alleged releases.

I picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr for $60 and Elmer T Lee for $30 on vacation in Florida. You can't find that anywhere in Atlanta
JudgeHoldem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #4812
JudgeHoldem
banned
 
JudgeHoldem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OTP ATL
Posts: 8,198
Re: Whisky

Picked up a Michters Toasted Rye today for $96 total. Pretty excited.
JudgeHoldem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #4813
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 11,567
Re: Whisky

i went to a hippster bar yesterday and they naturally had a great bourbob selection.

Weller 12 for $10 a pour is what i settled on.

Was very tempted to try the William Laurue Weller for $45, but I was already pretty buzzed and knew i would just slam it at that point.

I did convince my friend to get an Angel's Envy cask strength, which is prob the best bourbon I have ever had,
thabighurt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #4814
guller
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 833
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabighurt35 View Post
i went to a hippster bar yesterday and they naturally had a great bourbob selection.

Weller 12 for $10 a pour is what i settled on.

Was very tempted to try the William Laurue Weller for $45, but I was already pretty buzzed and knew i would just slam it at that point.

I did convince my friend to get an Angel's Envy cask strength, which is prob the best bourbon I have ever had,
Prices seem reasonable at least. I would have ponied up for the WLW. Do you know if it was this year's release or not?
guller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #4815
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
wil,

That Yamazaki 18 is great. I don't think I'd try it for $55, but it's very good. It used to be reasonably priced, but in the last two years the price has skyrocketed.

Nothing super amazing at that place, but you'd prob enjoy:
MACALLAN 15 YR
MACALLAN 18 YR
OBAN 14 YR

JW Blue flavor profile is super smooth, very well balanced, not much heat, a light sweetness, and a light peat smoke. I think it's a very good whisky, but I just don't think it has the kind of depth of flavor that you can get paying that kind of money.

So the scotches I think you'd really enjoy are some of the smokier Speyside scotches, and some of the lighter Highland scotches. I'm sure you'd like those two Macallans. The Oban might be a little too smoky and/or too briny for your preference. I love it though.

Highland Park 18 is one I bet you'd really enjoy. I think it's like $120/bottle.

At the second place, I bet you'd enjoy the Famous Grouse 18. It has been many years since I had it, so I don't actually remember what it tasted like, but I remember being pleasantly surprised.

Other bottles I think you'd like at this place.

GLENROTHES 1998 - this one is on the simpler, sweeter side, but I think it's great
HIGHLAND PARK 18 YR - def try this
MACALLAN 15 YR
MACALLAN 18 YR
MACALLAN Double Oak - dont know this one
OBAN 14 YR

So def some good stuff for you to try, but besides the Yamazaki 18 these places don't have much super premium stuff at the level of the Blue Label. Curious to hear what you think of the HP 18.

If you have a good liquor store with an online list, I can take a look there for you too if you want.
Thanks for this. I'm heading down to the Costco in Wilmington, Delaware next week or the week after. I'm going to go a bit heavy and buy multiple bottles. I'll report back shortly.

I've had a few mccallans over the years but never sat down and had a real long night with a good bottle. I think maybe I'll try that in the near future.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #4816
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 11,567
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by guller View Post
Prices seem reasonable at least. I would have ponied up for the WLW. Do you know if it was this year's release or not?
I do not. could always ask tho
thabighurt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #4817
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,787
Re: Whisky

Wil,

I doubt you'll find much if any of premium stuff that you might like better than JW Blue at Costco. Will likely have to go to a good liquor store for that.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #4818
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Wil,

I doubt you'll find much if any of premium stuff that you might like better than JW Blue at Costco. Will likely have to go to a good liquor store for that.
Maybe. Sometimes they have some good stuff available. I'll take a look but if not I'll have to do and search and find something relatively close (within an hour) drive and try to load up.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #4819
Peter Harris
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Peter Harris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Post count >>> Bankroll :(
Posts: 8,424
Re: Whisky

With regards to Macallan, their cask strength sherry finish I had back in 2002 (think it was just a standard 10yo or something) was pretty solid. And drinkable with or without water. That said, I haven't had a ton of Macallan since, so no real frame of reference to their other output...

Best,
Pete
Peter Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #4820
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 11,567
Re: Whisky

El T, thanks buddy, i will definitely hit you up when i get situated in Seattle. Hopefully many more trades will ensue!

So i am stopping by SLC on a cross country trip and I wandered into a local bar for a burger and a bloody. They had Gearge T Stagg and i asked about the price. $18 for 1.5oz. I just had 4 and tapped out.

I did not intend to get this buzzed before 2pm local. If it was later in the night i would have killed the bottle
thabighurt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #4821
foobar
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,450
Re: Whisky

@hurt. Unexpected drunk is the best drunk!
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #4822
JudgeHoldem
banned
 
JudgeHoldem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OTP ATL
Posts: 8,198
Re: Whisky

do you guys find much variation in the quality/taste of various bookers batches? I'm currently drinking Tommy's Batch (I think 2017-1) but I also have the Blue Knights Batch and Off Your Rocker yet to open. Just wondering if I am wasting time looking up these different ones on Distiller app or if they are more or less all the same.
JudgeHoldem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #4823
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,787
Re: Whisky

Judge: had no idea there were even different batches of bookers. I'm a big fan, but doubt I'd be able to tell the difference.

Whiskey fans: bought some bottles for a friend's birthday...

I've reviewed the butchertown Brandy itt before. Still love it as much as I did then.

As you see, I grabbed a bottle of the k&l single barrel four roses for myself too. This time they only had one version so I didn't have to choose. These bottlings are always great, this was no exception. Hard to believe this was 56%, went down suuuuper smooth.

Ardbeg An Oa is a new addition to the standard lineup. Very reasonable at I think $55. Lower proof than the others at 46.6% but wow this still packs a ton of flavor, while being smoother and easier to drink. I'm gonna have to taste it alongside the corryvreckan and Uigeadail to say how I rank them against each other, but regardless I can definitely recommend this bottle!
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 AM   #4824
Peter Harris
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Peter Harris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Post count >>> Bankroll :(
Posts: 8,424
Re: Whisky

Folks,

What do you make of this article from a now defunct UK newspaper?

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/...-a8015441.html

I have to say I haven't been a fan of Mackmyra, and whilst cask finishes intrigue me, an icewine one does not sound spectacular.

Best,
Pete
Peter Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:41 AM   #4825
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,787
Re: Whisky

Pete,

Icewine finish sounds great to me. I really like glenmorangie nectar d'or and other Sauternes finished whiskies, don't see any reason I wouldn't enjoy an icewine finish.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online