Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

EDF Interesting discussion of any and all topics, including Current Events, Entertainment, Politics, Art & Literature, Career, Hobbies, Lifestyle, Travel, Sports, and Gambling. Posts are expected to be intelligent, interesting, and respectful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #76
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
what are people planning on drinking on either christmas eve or christmas? Or if celebrating Hanukkah are you keeping kosher or drinking non-kosher?

I'm probably going to be popping an 05 Louis Jadot Corton-Charlemagne. I'm always a sucker for grand cru white burgs no matter how young or mature they are
I have a couple of bottles of 1988 Philipponnat 'Clos de Goisses' that I plan to open Christmas morning.

Christmas Eve I have a few different 90's Barolo's to open: Clerico, A. Conterno, and I think Ceretto, but not sure.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #77
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nectar of the gods
Posts: 19,117
Re: EDF Wine thread

oh man, if you get the chance, I'd love to see some tasting notes on the barolos and especially the philipponnat
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #78
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

I thought we were having dinner here for Christmas Eve, but unbeknownst to me, we went to a big family friends dinner. HELLO CHEAP SPANISH!

But, the Phillipponnat 1988, "Clos de Goisses":

First of all, although I love my Champagne, I haven't drank enough back vintage to really 'know' it, like I do some other regions/style. With that said, this is it:

I first popped it with breakfast (eggs, avocado, onion, blue de basques cheese). The nose was beautiful: spicy and sweet at the same time, some light berries, lots of citrus and nutty.

Taste: Very, very tart/overly citrus that was really overpowering everything else. Finish went forever though. Needed a lot of time to open. I told everybody not to touch it for a while.

We slowly drank it over the next 4 - 5 hours, with every glass becoming that much better. The tartness leveled off to reveal a muscular, mineral laden, lemon/honey/nutty infused beautiful Champagne. Powerful. The carbonation was definitely quite slow after all of this time and wasn't that visual. You could still feel it quite strongly on your tongue though.

I have another bottle that I plan to open soon. I'm thinking it would be amazing with some combination of Pork (or not overly gamey, "game")/mushrooms/pinenuts.

Reading on their website, it says that you shouldn't be afraid to decant it, which I will definitely do next time.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #79
timhardawyhatesu
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,758
Re: EDF Wine thread

Im a pretty big wine noob but would like to get into it more. What woudl be a good pairing with seafood like shirmp, fish, oysters? Thanks.
timhardawyhatesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #80
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nectar of the gods
Posts: 19,117
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancuk View Post
I thought we were having dinner here for Christmas Eve, but unbeknownst to me, we went to a big family friends dinner. HELLO CHEAP SPANISH!

But, the Phillipponnat 1988, "Clos de Goisses":

First of all, although I love my Champagne, I haven't drank enough back vintage to really 'know' it, like I do some other regions/style. With that said, this is it:

I first popped it with breakfast (eggs, avocado, onion, blue de basques cheese). The nose was beautiful: spicy and sweet at the same time, some light berries, lots of citrus and nutty.

Taste: Very, very tart/overly citrus that was really overpowering everything else. Finish went forever though. Needed a lot of time to open. I told everybody not to touch it for a while.

We slowly drank it over the next 4 - 5 hours, with every glass becoming that much better. The tartness leveled off to reveal a muscular, mineral laden, lemon/honey/nutty infused beautiful Champagne. Powerful. The carbonation was definitely quite slow after all of this time and wasn't that visual. You could still feel it quite strongly on your tongue though.

I have another bottle that I plan to open soon. I'm thinking it would be amazing with some combination of Pork (or not overly gamey, "game")/mushrooms/pinenuts.

Reading on their website, it says that you shouldn't be afraid to decant it, which I will definitely do next time.
great notes. I'm glad you spent some quality time with it as people just chug down champagne so fast(I'm fully guilty of this as I love it so much and it generally doesn't last long in my presance)

I also need to drink more mature champagne. I've generally had them young and the oldest one I had was a 90 Henriot Milesmie at a trade tasting, but its so hard to really get much from a situation like that. I'll add that to my wine goals this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhardawyhatesu View Post
Im a pretty big wine noob but would like to get into it more. What woudl be a good pairing with seafood like shirmp, fish, oysters? Thanks.

Champagne/sparkling wine is a great pairing. Riesling is also a good pairing with fish and a lot of white burgs are great with fish and oysters. A good amount of california chards will work with lots of fish too. those are the ones I can think of right now, and I'm sure that others will be able to come up with more ideas
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #81
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhardawyhatesu View Post
Im a pretty big wine noob but would like to get into it more. What woudl be a good pairing with seafood like shirmp, fish, oysters? Thanks.
For oysters specifically: Sauvignon Blanc (less oak the better), Riesling, Sparkling, Viognier.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #82
luegofuego
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PRINCE WITH A THOUSAND ENEMIES
Posts: 4,874
Re: EDF Wine thread

we had some great desert wine for new years, Banyuls La douceur des terroirs 2004. exactly like you would expect with notes of cherries, figs, chocolate, toasted nuts. i thought it was a lot cleaner taste than lots of the ports ive had in the past so i thought it was amazing.
luegofuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #83
pscfusion
adept
 
pscfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Finding all 4 corners of my feet
Posts: 908
Re: EDF Wine thread

I was lucky enough to have a bottle of Opus One(2000) this weekend and it was fantastic. Was pretty perfect as far as I could tell, very nice long length and the perfect texture. One of the most incredible and wide ranging aromas in any wine. Nice sweet balance of tannins, I couldn't find anything wrong with it.
pscfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #84
Douro
newbie
 
Douro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: sometimes here, sometimes there...
Posts: 33
Thumbs up Re: EDF Wine thread

Nice thread! Btw, you guys should give a try on the Portuguese reds from the Douro valley...

Cheers
Douro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #85
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

Pikes 2007 Claire Valley Riesling:

WAY over delivers for price point. Haven't had many Claire Valley Rieslings, but this one kicked serious ass. I think it's a nice blend between Germany (sweet) and Alsace (dry).

Anyway, lots of citrus (grapefruit, lemon, lime), some floral notes. Maybe some pear. Lots of fruit to balance out the acidity. Goes on a long time. Would be amazing in 5-6 years but delicious now. I think i'm going to pick up a case to set down. Delicious.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #86
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nectar of the gods
Posts: 19,117
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douro View Post
Nice thread! Btw, you guys should give a try on the Portuguese reds from the Douro valley...

Cheers
i fully agree, I just need to find more still portugese reds. My store doesn't really carry that many, and there's only so much vintage port that one can drink.hopefully I'll be able to come across some more this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancuk View Post
Pikes 2007 Claire Valley Riesling:

WAY over delivers for price point. Haven't had many Claire Valley Rieslings, but this one kicked serious ass. I think it's a nice blend between Germany (sweet) and Alsace (dry).

Anyway, lots of citrus (grapefruit, lemon, lime), some floral notes. Maybe some pear. Lots of fruit to balance out the acidity. Goes on a long time. Would be amazing in 5-6 years but delicious now. I think i'm going to pick up a case to set down. Delicious.

great stuff. IMO aussie riesling is horribly under rated and I definitely need to get more familiar with a lot of



I need a bit of help on deciding what to drink and eat saturday night. UFC is gonna be on and I generally like to do some sort of food and wine pairing. I'll let people pick what I either eat or drink and will pair off the other. so, if there's a region you want me to play guinea pig on, I'm down with that or if you want to see what something you like to eat would pair well with, I'll gladly work that too. I won't go super high end on either hte food or wine since my normal friends that would join me are gonna be out of town, but I won't bottom feed either. So, what say you EDF?
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #87
jsnipes28
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jsnipes28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,695
Re: EDF Wine thread

I know this is the wine thread and all but whiskey really seems a lot more appropriate for something as barbaric as UFC.
jsnipes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #88
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post

I need a bit of help on deciding what to drink and eat saturday night. UFC is gonna be on and I generally like to do some sort of food and wine pairing. I'll let people pick what I either eat or drink and will pair off the other. so, if there's a region you want me to play guinea pig on, I'm down with that or if you want to see what something you like to eat would pair well with, I'll gladly work that too. I won't go super high end on either hte food or wine since my normal friends that would join me are gonna be out of town, but I won't bottom feed either. So, what say you EDF?
Wine: Do off-beat Italy. Salice Salentino, Primitivo di Manduria, Ciro, Sagrantino, Aglianico, Verdicchio, Vermentino, etc.

Really interesting, great value, and some superb offerings.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #89
pscfusion
adept
 
pscfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Finding all 4 corners of my feet
Posts: 908
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnipes28 View Post
I know this is the wine thread and all but whiskey really seems a lot more appropriate for something as barbaric as UFC.
Agreed, I don't know why you'd go with anything besides some beam for UFC.
pscfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #90
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douro View Post
Nice thread! Btw, you guys should give a try on the Portuguese reds from the Douro valley...

Cheers
Absolutely love Portugese table wines. Probably one of my top regions actually, simply because for under $20 you can drink a kick ass serious wine and for over $40 you can be floored. I also love Vinho Verde's in summer.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #91
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nectar of the gods
Posts: 19,117
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnipes28 View Post
I know this is the wine thread and all but whiskey really seems a lot more appropriate for something as barbaric as UFC.

well, whiskey wouldn't really work as in a sense beer would be more appropriate, but that's not what I'm asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancuk View Post
Wine: Do off-beat Italy. Salice Salentino, Primitivo di Manduria, Ciro, Sagrantino, Aglianico, Verdicchio, Vermentino, etc.

Really interesting, great value, and some superb offerings.
This was an option I had been thinking of before hand. Hopefully some more people will chime in with useful suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscfusion View Post
Agreed, I don't know why you'd go with anything besides some beam for UFC.

why not go with whatever you want for whatever you want to watch. Not really the point. I'm just trying to get some people to do some thinking and let me be a guinea pig or whatever
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #92
pscfusion
adept
 
pscfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Finding all 4 corners of my feet
Posts: 908
Re: EDF Wine thread

Yeah I understand, but a food and wine pairing for UFC just seems hilarious.
pscfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #93
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nectar of the gods
Posts: 19,117
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscfusion View Post
Yeah I understand, but a food and wine pairing for UFC just seems hilarious.

how so?
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #94
luegofuego
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PRINCE WITH A THOUSAND ENEMIES
Posts: 4,874
Re: EDF Wine thread

cause food and wine are commonly associated with still reflection, relaxation, intellectualism and not testosterone, adrenaline and screaming at the telly?
luegofuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #95
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nectar of the gods
Posts: 19,117
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by luegofuego View Post
cause food and wine are commonly associated with still reflection, relaxation, intellectualism and not testosterone, adrenaline and screaming at the telly?

why should it be that way. wine should be fun, not something to prop oneself up into a different intellectual realm. There is a time and place for serious wine drinking, I do it on a frequent basis with some of my tasting groups. But, my point for this is to have fun and emphasize that fact, and also point out that wine shouldn't always be serious, its an alcoholic beverage when you get down to it

If one wants to cut themselves off from the world and put themselves on a different level when drinking wine, that's their perogative, but my purpose in creating this thread is to get good discussion about wine, and to also pull back the sheet a bit that makes people not as willing to get into wine.

Saying that it is hilarious that one would want to watch UFC while drinking wine and eating food IMO is keeping that shield up that prevents people from getting into wine. So what if they want to watch something like football or fighting while drinking wine, the point is that the wine is being enjoyed
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #96
pscfusion
adept
 
pscfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Finding all 4 corners of my feet
Posts: 908
Re: EDF Wine thread

To each his own, but it is just so stupid. You can defend it, but i agree with luego.
pscfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #97
siglo
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 423
Re: EDF Wine thread

new acquisitions this week:

mollydooker carnival of love 2005
mollydooker enchanted path 2005
ridge monte bello 1999
chateau montelena cab 2004
pio cesare barolo 2004
siglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #98
pscfusion
adept
 
pscfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Finding all 4 corners of my feet
Posts: 908
Re: EDF Wine thread

The 2004 cabernet is really nice. I kind of like menthol-y wines and it is definitely there. It's a good value and when I don't feel like shelling out the absurd price that they charge for cakebread cab, I usually go with that and benzinger for my mid-range cabs.
pscfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #99
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscfusion View Post
The 2004 cabernet is really nice. I kind of like menthol-y wines and it is definitely there. It's a good value and when I don't feel like shelling out the absurd price that they charge for cakebread cab, I usually go with that and benzinger for my mid-range cabs.
If you get the chance, try and get some Altamura Cabernet 2005 (or 2004.. I like the 2005 better though). It is outstanding. It's everything you want a California Cabernet to be: huge fruit, amazingly velvety mouth but still has a lot of tannins... it's simply amazing and one of my favourite Cali Cab's of all time.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #100
Cancuk
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Keeping it real
Posts: 2,062
Re: EDF Wine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscfusion View Post
To each his own, but it is just so stupid. You can defend it, but i agree with luego.
What makes it stupid? That some people don't solely associate wine with "stuffiness" (for lack of a better word).

FYI, Wine is now the most popular alcoholic beverage in the US, surpassing beer.
Cancuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online