Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Micro-Small Stakes Full Ring Discussion of up to 1/2 online no-limit pot-limit Texas hold'em full ring games, situations and strategies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #351
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Wow, best thread ever. Thanks for revealing these tidbits along with thread/blog links in order to help people find their own answers. Incredibly helpful.

Btw, while I spent the last 3 hours reading and digesting this thread I was sweating LittleZen multitabling NL5k/NL2k for a few hours and checked out his HHs. Very standard, nothing out of line and he was only going in with big pairs AQ+. I'll be sure to do my own datamining of high stakes games at FTP and elsewhere to expand on your ideas.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #352
diebitter
Grotesquely Handsome
 
diebitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 64,912
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

So he only pushed, what, JJ+ and AQ+?
diebitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #353
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

TT+, AQ+. I saw one raise in LP w. A7, and cbet a 7 high board, and shoved turn. The other night I saw him 4bet ai from CO w. KQo vs Genius28 who 3bet him from button and won. Otherwise, he plays a very tight game. I'll continue monitoring him though.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #354
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Btw, check out the hornets nest I started at nvg with littlezen as the main topic. All I wanted to know is simply how he is doing in the HS stars games and now it has evolved into another big war between fullies and SS'ers. The comments made by timex are laugh out loud good.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #355
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

that littlezen thread is funny

It just shows how wrong I was in the past
I thought ss'ing knowledge had to be kept secret and that online poker would change drastically with a guide on how to do it. Turns out I was wrong. You can put up a simple guide and it mostly will not make a difference as it still requires poker talent.

However, there is still alot of fear and name calling...sadness. I hoped this thread would move the factions beyond that..... oh well.
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #356
timex
Bonafide 9
 
timex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,886
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephisto View Post
Btw, check out the hornets nest I started at nvg with littlezen as the main topic. All I wanted to know is simply how he is doing in the HS stars games and now it has evolved into another big war between fullies and SS'ers. The comments made by timex are laugh out loud good.
???
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...d.php?t=111442

This thread?
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #357
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

argh.... you found this thread

please keep your misinformation to the littlezen thread
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #358
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Of course MyTurn2Raise, as I tried many times to teach better BR management/poker skills to my degen poker/gambling friend who always loses his roll to higher and higher games and then tilts at online BJ to boot, it shows to me that people either ignore good advice because it's too hard to implement, takes too much discipline, or are simply not intelligent enough to comprehend what is being shown to them. However, to people who want to learn, not afraid to put in some hard work, you have helped us greatly.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #359
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

damnit timex, you were not suppossed to be reading this thread...... I wouldn't have made my comment if I knew you'd see this.

Last edited by mephisto; 01-24-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: grammar sux
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #360
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

You know, this ain't an easy thread to find... How I found it is lol. I googled '20 bb shortstacking', found a thread in flopturnraise.com discussing the topic. Some guy linked a thread on 2+2 'how to crush shortstackers, read op and skimmed the rest, saw that a guy named 'myturn2raise' was getting a lot of attention for his contrarian view, searched him, and found this thread.

Juding that this thread has only 3.9k views versus the thread I made yesterday which is topping 6k views now shows that this info is still widely unknown to the vast majority of 2+2ers let alone the poker community in general.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #361
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

or you can search shortstacking on google and find HajiShirazu's Donkey Devastation blog


oh yeah....view numbers are off for this thread since the majority of it was before the conversion to the new vBulletin software
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #362
GaryTheGoat
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: rail of tears
Posts: 630
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

MyTurn2Raise:
Quote:
oh yeah....view numbers are off for this thread since the majority of it was before the conversion to the new vBulletin software
Yeah...the old software thread had about 340 replies with 6500 views. The vBulletin software started at 340 replies and 340 views which is now over 4000 views. So there have been well over 10000 views of this thread.

gTg

Last edited by GaryTheGoat; 01-25-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: fixin'
GaryTheGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #363
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Didn't know about the views reset because of the software update. However, 10k is still less views than the micro stakes full ring january thread.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #364
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

point taken

My guess is about 5-7 people have really taken advantage of this thread to make some money

More have learned about countering certain small stack strategies



There has not been a large scale change in the games even with the steps to winning being laid out right here
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #365
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn2Raise View Post
point taken

My guess is about 5-7 people have really taken advantage of this thread to make some money

More have learned about countering certain small stack strategies



There has not been a large scale change in the games even with the steps to winning being laid out right here
because you didn't do anything that was previously unknown to any shortstacker that can break even. Nothing you have said is of any consequence, you just saved people from having to think about the first 10k hands they play. I learned pretty much everything laid out in this thread in like a week of play.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:35 AM   #366
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
because you didn't do anything that was previously unknown to any shortstacker that can break even. Nothing you have said is of any consequence, you just saved people from having to think about the first 10k hands they play. I learned pretty much everything laid out in this thread in like a week of play.
exactly right
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #367
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn2Raise View Post
exactly right
So I don't see your point. You taught people how to break even or be a marginal loser. When you were thinking about posting this I actually thought you might have groundbreaking information, but once it was posted I really don't think its going to do any harm. If you follow this advice you might be an annoying shortstacker, but you most certainly won't be a good one and there is a huge difference. Good shortstacks will mix things up and play situations that can't be taught on a message board. There is still no SS strat that I know of that will completely alter the game.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #368
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
So I don't see your point. You taught people how to break even or be a marginal loser. When you were thinking about posting this I actually thought you might have groundbreaking information, but once it was posted I really don't think its going to do any harm. If you follow this advice you might be an annoying shortstacker, but you most certainly won't be a good one and there is a huge difference. Good shortstacks will mix things up and play situations that can't be taught on a message board. There is still no SS strat that I know of that will completely alter the game.
ummm....
you'll be a winner playing with what I posted... not breakeven or a marginal loser...
I know from doing it myself and from numerous PMs I received over this thread of people thanking me for giving them the tools to make some really decent sums of bank

that should be enough to bring out the Romanian and Chinese sweatshops

having looked at many datamines, just playing with what I posted would be a higher hourly than most the fullring grinders that play full time that post in the fullring forums.

I don't believe I claimed to know more or post anything that the top shortstackers did not already know.... so, it's really a strawman to say this thread fails because it doesn't provide that.

What it does provide is
1) the solid fundamentals to a strategy that grinds out a small, but above most grinders, hourly
2) Some interesting things for people to think about when countering a shortstack
3) made explicit some things on shortstacking that were not previously in print on the forums that I follow


Of course, winrate could be improved (dramatically so--perhaps doubled winrates at a few stake levels higher) by knowing more poker... LDO

It seems you contest that one could win by just studying this thread... I have numerous anecdotal stories that claim otherwise, but
1) we'll never have a true double-blind study on the winrates of those who try shortstacking based on this thread
2) we possibly disagree on what is fully entailed in this thread and what studying it means

Last edited by MyTurn2Raise; 01-25-2008 at 07:31 AM.
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #369
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

BTW--- I do wish this thread did go further into concepts/situations

I certainly am not the best shortstacker and there are still theoretical leaps I have yet to make

Basically, all I can add with my present state of knowledge is more and more detailed examples of the concepts laid out previously....I find that work to be rather tedious
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #370
Landlord79
veteran
 
Landlord79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Breaking Rocks!
Posts: 2,065
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

I haven't read this full thread in a while, but I must say, MT2R, that between this thread and CMAR's I have started seeing where the short-stackers are making moves in good spots and I've been able to call them more marginally in some +EV spots. In fact, I think that since my BR is large enough to sustain the hits, I'm usually happy to take neutral EV spots against them because I can sustain the variance and am usually happy to gambool for 20bbs or less with some dead money in the pot.

In fact, I think that's the strategy to have against SS'rs. You just have to decide how much money you are willing to gambooooool for. If your roll is big enough, you can gamble more often and eventually, the house wins!
Landlord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #371
GaryTheGoat
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: rail of tears
Posts: 630
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn2Raise View Post
BTW--- I do wish this thread did go further into concepts/situations

I certainly am not the best shortstacker and there are still theoretical leaps I have yet to make

Basically, all I can add with my present state of knowledge is more and more detailed examples of the concepts laid out previously....I find that work to be rather tedious
I'll try to help with the tedious stuff. Just let me know what you want "crunched". My br is better now and I can devote more time to study.

Caveat: My work product ain't what it used to be. You should review/check same.

gTg

ps Have you given any thought to ss limit holdem? I have some stuff from barryg1 and others, but haven't examined it yet.
GaryTheGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #372
illini43
Pooh-Bah
 
illini43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,829
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

SS'ing limit hold'em appears to have no real advantage because the stack sizes are less relevant in limit than they are in no-limit. Stars forces you to buy in for at least 5 big bets and at least at the higher levels it seems as if putting 5 big bets into the pot are around the max for one pot.
illini43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #373
New York Jet
adept
 
New York Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ICM = I Collect Money
Posts: 759
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWeaver View Post
I've pre-calculated a few ranges in Excel and programmed a couple macros so the answer is always only 6 mouse-clicks away. Quicker than charts.
Teaser for a project I've been working on...



4 slide bar moves vs. 6 mouse-clicks
New York Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #374
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

that is.... ummmmmm.... oooooooooooooops
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #375
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: M2TR shortstacker illuminati thread

and here I've been working off of tons of charts I've put together
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive