Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Micro-Small Stakes Full Ring Discussion of up to 1/2 online no-limit pot-limit Texas hold'em full ring games, situations and strategies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
*Split*
See my coaching listing
 
*Split*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: making videos
Posts: 9,261
Arrow COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Stream the video here:

DL the video here:

This video focuses on planning, and how we can use that planning to create default lines, while considering other lines at the same time. I talked about compartmentalizing information, and planning from both a PF and postflop POV. I wrapped up the video with a full hand example (AK). The video is 35minutes, and took a long ass time to make, so hopefully you enjoy it =)

Let's start a discussion...
*Split* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
JHolsinger88
adept
 
JHolsinger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,191
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

First! Watching now...
JHolsinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
gadolparah
Pooh-Bah
 
gadolparah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Needs more stakees
Posts: 4,356
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

2rst. always excited to see a vid from split. thanks!
gadolparah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
alphakenny1
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 458
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

excited to watch 3rd....
alphakenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Deppir
grinder
 
Deppir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 445
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Awesome video. Very well put together, thanks

Important concepts to really take in
Deppir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
SammyG-SD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SammyG-SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Original Bacon MVP
Posts: 12,600
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

now I have something to do at work.
SammyG-SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
JHolsinger88
adept
 
JHolsinger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,191
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Very nice vid.

1 - Fwiw I am never folding AK in an unopened pot lol But I understand what you are getting at and you raise a lot of good points about situational awareness.

2 - I have slight issue with the sample villain having QQ there. No 3 bet pre from the btn, and no 3 bet on a J high flop. This is irrelevant but I didn't expect to see QQ

Great video man, a lot of good information. Nice to get a first hand viewing of how a top player thinks. Much appreciated.

GL.

Last edited by JHolsinger88; 08-02-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Are you a robot?
JHolsinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
udbrky
stranger
 
udbrky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: avoiding responsibility
Posts: 28,828
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

When I dl'd this, I got a popup that said "ABC Moneymaking system."

I didn't read it, but I assume it's an outline for the video.
udbrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
JHolsinger88
adept
 
JHolsinger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,191
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
When I dl'd this, I got a popup that said "ABC Moneymaking system."

I didn't read it, but I assume it's an outline for the video.
LOL.
JHolsinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
zocketpocket
veteran
 
zocketpocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: C.R.E.A.M get that mannies!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 2,935
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Great video. Can you go over your reasoning for not wanting to 4bet AK in a aggro game?
zocketpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #11
kasik047
grinder
 
kasik047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: blogging bout.. stuff.
Posts: 524
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

this is just an example of why split is the man
kasik047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
illini43
Pooh-Bah
 
illini43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,827
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Nice dude, I've watched 5 minutes and I'm blown away by the quality.
illini43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #13
*Split*
See my coaching listing
 
*Split*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: making videos
Posts: 9,261
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppir View Post
Awesome video. Very well put together, thanks

Important concepts to really take in
thank you. glad i gave some food for thought =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG-SD View Post
now I have something to do at work.
lol. thats why I like giving the stream-able version

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHolsinger88 View Post
Very nice vid.

1 - Fwiw I am never folding AK in an unopened pot lol But I understand what you are getting at and you raise a lot of good points about situational awareness.

2 - I have slight issue with the sample villain having QQ there. No 3 bet pre from the btn, and no 3 bet on a J high flop. This is irrelevant but I didn't expect to see QQ

Great video man, a lot of good information. Nice to get a first hand viewing of how a top player thinks. Much appreciated.

GL.
1. fair enough. so long as you are thinking about positional awareness more i consider it mission accomplished

2. very standard for a TAG to flat QQ there, and also very standard for a TAG to treat the hand as SDV the whole way through. this is FR =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
When I dl'd this, I got a popup that said "ABC Moneymaking system."

I didn't read it, but I assume it's an outline for the video.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zocketpocket View Post
Great video. Can you go over your reasoning for not wanting to 4bet AK in a aggro game?
I personally don't mind getting into the 4b dynamic. But most players will get chewed by trying to get into the 4b from EP dyanmic with a hand like AK. The big issue is that the 4bet starts to turn your range face up and overall puts you on the bad side of the minimax game (you always lose the most when you are behind, and never win much when you are ahead). If you are going to 4b/fold then you could do so with your entire range, and then the balancing act gets very difficult. I'm not saying you should never fight, but I am saying that trying to get into a fighting dynamic is going to be insanely tough against good players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasik047 View Post
this is just an example of why split is the man
well thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini43 View Post
Nice dude, I've watched 5 minutes and I'm blown away by the quality.
thanks. The vid took about 18hrs total (with scripting, recording, editing, etc). Glad the quality is appreciated =)
*Split* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:01 AM   #14
macvolcan
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 606
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Great work with the video, looks great and definitely a lot to think about.

Couple questions/points:

1. under compartmentalizing you only list 5 player types, do you keep it so small just to keep it simple? Or do you not see value in further defining player types, ie a loose passive pre flop that is fit or fold post flop.

2. for flop textures you lump 1 broadway hands with 1 broadway hands that contain an A, while I agree your likely to take similar lines, aren't you a lot more likely to get raised as a bluff by regulars on a k72 board than an A72 board? Also a lot of loose passive fish play every A and so a flop with an A in it is much more likely to hit their range than one that doesn't.

3. Can't say I agree with the AKo examples in open folding, but they are definitely good hand examples to sit down and map out on a tree diagram and put some thought into as one could easily put themselves into some trouble in those spots.

Thanks again for putting in all the time and work to make this, definitely appreciated.
macvolcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #15
illini43
Pooh-Bah
 
illini43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,827
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Finished it...took me 2.5 hours. I watched ten minutes, smoked, watching an episode of Angry Beavers with my roommate, played 3 games of FIFA, smoked, then completed watching it.

This is pretty...pretty...pretty good
illini43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #16
saitokthx
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 23
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation


what an amazing helpful video about planning.
+10 points
saitokthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
Cangurino
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cangurino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Circus
Posts: 13,478
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Great ideas, and great food for thought.

However if you allow some constructive criticism: I personally would find this particular contents much easier to digest in a text based format. I don't feel doing a video adds much value here, and I'm forced to follow Split's speed of thought rather than my own. This is aggravated by the fact that voice and text on the screen sometimes present different, complementing information, which makes it hard to follow unless you're a multitasking native speaker. (I'm aware that most media players these days have a pause button.)

I'll probably end up making a transcript and reading it at my leisure.
Cangurino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
JH1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
JH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,301
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

18rd

dl nowwwwwwwwww
JH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
SaintGeorge5
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 220
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Very nice work
SaintGeorge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
JH1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
JH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,301
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

iPoding this for the 2 hours i'm about to be in a car for. no i'm not driving.
JH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
Cangurino
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cangurino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Circus
Posts: 13,478
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1 View Post
iPoding this for the 2 hours i'm about to be in a car for. no i'm not driving.
you in a drive-in or something?
Cangurino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
JH1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
JH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,301
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangurino View Post
you in a drive-in or something?
traveling but i'm not driving lol. although i was in the longest drive-thru in the history of Tim Horton's already this morning.
JH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #23
Below Zero
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 848
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Very nice!
Below Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #24
JHolsinger88
adept
 
JHolsinger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,191
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini43 View Post
Finished it...took me 2.5 hours. I watched ten minutes, smoked, watching an episode of Angry Beavers with my roommate, played 3 games of FIFA, smoked, then completed watching it.

This is pretty...pretty...pretty good
Angry Beavers is the nuts
JHolsinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #25
*Split*
See my coaching listing
 
*Split*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: making videos
Posts: 9,261
Re: COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macvolcan View Post
Great work with the video, looks great and definitely a lot to think about.

Couple questions/points:

1. under compartmentalizing you only list 5 player types, do you keep it so small just to keep it simple? Or do you not see value in further defining player types, ie a loose passive pre flop that is fit or fold post flop.

2. for flop textures you lump 1 broadway hands with 1 broadway hands that contain an A, while I agree your likely to take similar lines, aren't you a lot more likely to get raised as a bluff by regulars on a k72 board than an A72 board? Also a lot of loose passive fish play every A and so a flop with an A in it is much more likely to hit their range than one that doesn't.

3. Can't say I agree with the AKo examples in open folding, but they are definitely good hand examples to sit down and map out on a tree diagram and put some thought into as one could easily put themselves into some trouble in those spots.

Thanks again for putting in all the time and work to make this, definitely appreciated.
1. I just break it down to 5 basic player types because its as simple as you can break it down imo. When I am actually playing a hand I use all the info I have available (and treat a 13/9 differently than a 14/11 and such)...but when I have a little info (say 10/6 over 22 hands) it allows me to use my default lines against that player type

2. technically an Ahi board is better to attack than a Khi board (based on comobos), but I understand what youre saying. Yes, the board textures are super simplified, but its not that compartmentalized if you talk about an Ahi board, Khi board, Jhi board, 9hi board, etc, lol

3. fair enough

np. glad you appreciated it

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini43 View Post
Finished it...took me 2.5 hours. I watched ten minutes, smoked, watching an episode of Angry Beavers with my roommate, played 3 games of FIFA, smoked, then completed watching it.

This is pretty...pretty...pretty good
lol. hopefully it was a good episode of Angry Beavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitokthx View Post

what an amazing helpful video about planning.
+10 points
gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangurino View Post
Great ideas, and great food for thought.

However if you allow some constructive criticism: I personally would find this particular contents much easier to digest in a text based format. I don't feel doing a video adds much value here, and I'm forced to follow Split's speed of thought rather than my own. This is aggravated by the fact that voice and text on the screen sometimes present different, complementing information, which makes it hard to follow unless you're a multitasking native speaker. (I'm aware that most media players these days have a pause button.)

I'll probably end up making a transcript and reading it at my leisure.
I made this a video because I felt planning is so visual that seeing it laid out like that would help. you can PM me and id be happy to send you the script (its a little scattered at this point, but itll save you a lot of time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintGeorge5 View Post
Very nice work
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
Very nice!
thank you as well
*Split* is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online