Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Online No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em online cash games of all stakes, including pot-limit and cap games.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 AM   #1726
TheGunslinger
veteran
 
TheGunslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,193
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Hi everyone, been lurking a long time, thought I'd finally say hello here. Work blocks 2+2, so I can't browse during the day.

I'm a recreational player, but have done some serious studying for the past year or so. I've been playing exclusively cash 25NL FR on Tilt since December. I don't get in a lot of volume with my RL, but I usually play 3-4 tables, use HEM, and really want to better my game. I've grinded my BR up to 25 buy-ins for 50NL, and want to start taking shots there. My SN is xxGunslingerZZxx, if anyone has any hands on me, any tips to give I would appreciate it. Any tips on taking shots at 50NL would be great, too.

Thanks everyone, good luck at the tables.
TheGunslinger is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #1727
Equus asinus
veteran
 
Equus asinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,842
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunslinger View Post
Work blocks 2+2, so I can't browse during the day.
Savage savage beat imo. Welcome and GL. I have a whopping 45 hands on you. Steal more blinds - but not mine if you move up to 50
Equus asinus is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #1728
Dr. Acula
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 266
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Tables seem oddly good this morning. About 3-4% higher average vp$ip than normal right now, was even higher an hour ago as well.
Dr. Acula is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #1729
#1ThunderFan
old hand
 
#1ThunderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In your face!
Posts: 1,837
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Anybody going to be playing the triple points happy hour?
#1ThunderFan is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #1730
EdmontonRounder
adept
 
EdmontonRounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Transcribing glyphs.
Posts: 1,098
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1ThunderFan View Post
Anybody going to be playing the triple points happy hour?
Yepppp. Triple points happy hour is the nuts IMO.
EdmontonRounder is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #1731
Joopjan
veteran
 
Joopjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Posts: 2,996
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

I stopped liking points the moment they removed almost everything good from the eu store
Joopjan is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #1732
EdmontonRounder
adept
 
EdmontonRounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Transcribing glyphs.
Posts: 1,098
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Hah, yeah that must be pretty upsetting Joopjan......I know I'd be pissed.
EdmontonRounder is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #1733
DiscoBisco
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,701
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Hey guys, new poster to this thread. I'm a regular poster in the Small Stakes FR FTP thread. I don't regularly play lower than 100NL, but I'd like to come here and talk with the community and try to help offer up advice for you up and coming grinders trying to break into 100NL.
DiscoBisco is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #1734
Trapz
banned
 
Trapz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rebuilding
Posts: 780
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
Hey guys, new poster to this thread. I'm a regular poster in the Small Stakes FR FTP thread. I don't regularly play lower than 100NL, but I'd like to come here and talk with the community and try to help offer up advice for you up and coming grinders trying to break into 100NL.
How did you grow teh nuts to play 100nl?

I'm a puss. /the end.

(I will probably be forced to move up soon and I wont have a choice of being a puss anymore.)
Trapz is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #1735
DiscoBisco
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,701
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapz View Post
How did you grow teh nuts to play 100nl?

I'm a puss. /the end.

(I will probably be forced to move up soon and I wont have a choice of being a puss anymore.)
lol...you just have to be confident in your game and adapt to more of a lag style. this was really important in the move from 100nl to 200nl for me as well. if you say your a puss then i assume you play nitty? watching cr/dc vids helped me. i also did sweat sessions/coaching. whenever you move up to 100nl i would definitely suggest some coaching from me or any number of solid players i could refer you too.
DiscoBisco is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #1736
cman24687
Pooh-Bah
 
cman24687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 3,802
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

im a 25NL 6max grinder hi-jacking this thread.

you guys are all nits IMO(no offense)
cman24687 is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #1737
mpethybridge
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mpethybridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 86.4% dead, most likely
Posts: 16,997
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapz View Post
How did you grow teh nuts to play 100nl?

I'm a puss. /the end.

(I will probably be forced to move up soon and I wont have a choice of being a puss anymore.)
If you want to play the July challenge at $25 and assure yourself of that 5.5ptbb winrate, that's cool; but imma hunt you down if you don't move up to $50 in August.

Fair warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
lol...you just have to be confident in your game and adapt to more of a lag style. this was really important in the move from 100nl to 200nl for me as well. if you say your a puss then i assume you play nitty? watching cr/dc vids helped me. i also did sweat sessions/coaching. whenever you move up to 100nl i would definitely suggest some coaching from me or any number of solid players i could refer you too.
lolz, one thing trapz doesn't lack is confidence.

I agree he'll have to adapt to playing against LAgs, but if you meant adopt a lag style, I'd disagree a little. the LAgs at $50 are losers, as a group, so you can exploit them successfully playing TAg.

At $100, the LAgs, as a group, are winners, and need to be treated with respect. the guys with a vpip of 19 are the biggest winners in my DB at $100, as a group. It's probably best at $100 to join 'em rather than try to beat 'em. But even at $100, there are plenty of solid win rates from players with vpips around 10-12, but, as a group, they are losers.

FWIW, in my DB: the average stats are 19/9/2.4 -5bb/100 at $100. A solid TAg style should be able to crush these guys.
At $50: 19/8/2.2 -6bb/100--again, easily beatable with a TAg style.
mpethybridge is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #1738
DiscoBisco
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,701
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpethybridge View Post
I agree he'll have to adapt to playing against LAgs, but if you meant adopt a lag style, I'd disagree a little. the LAgs at $50 are losers, as a group, so you can exploit them successfully playing TAg.

At $100, the LAgs, as a group, are winners, and need to be treated with respect. the guys with a vpip of 19 are the biggest winners in my DB at $100, as a group. It's probably best at $100 to join 'em rather than try to beat 'em. But even at $100, there are plenty of solid win rates from players with vpips around 10-12, but, as a group, they are losers.
ah yes, i thought he was already playing 50NL and trying to move up to 100NL sorry. thats why I said he would need to develop more of a LAG style for that.
DiscoBisco is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #1739
mpethybridge
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mpethybridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 86.4% dead, most likely
Posts: 16,997
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
ah yes, i thought he was already playing 50NL and trying to move up to 100NL sorry. thats why I said he would need to develop more of a LAG style for that.
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I play $50 and $100. I beat $100 for a low win rate playing 11/9-ish, 12/9 ish, the same style that gets me a good win rate at $50.

So i am constantly wondering--do I need to become a LAg to beat $100? I don't think I do; there are lots of winners in the 10/7 to 12/9 range at $100, despite the fact that as a group, people who play those stats lose about 1bb/100.

I don't like LAg style and find it difficult to play. But if I have to I have to. That's where my thinking is these days.
mpethybridge is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #1740
DiscoBisco
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,701
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpethybridge View Post
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I play $50 and $100. I beat $100 for a low win rate playing 11/9-ish, 12/9 ish, the same style that gets me a good win rate at $50.

So i am constantly wondering--do I need to become a LAg to beat $100? I don't think I do; there are lots of winners in the 10/7 to 12/9 range at $100, despite the fact that as a group, people who play those stats lose about 1bb/100.

I don't like LAg style and find it difficult to play. But if I have to I have to. That's where my thinking is these days.
i generally play a 16/12 type style at the 100. i haven't played 50 in a while but i think i played roughly a 11/8 there. i think playing any tighter than 12/9 is fairly exploitable at 100. obviously most players won't exploit that style, but thinking laggier players will be able to exploit it. by lag i dont always mean like 18+/14+ i just mean lag in terms of what hes currently playing. basically just saying he needs to loosen up and play more pots. getting stronger in position and especially in 3bet pots and exploiting players who fold to 3bets way to much and/or don't 3bet enough are the HUGE parts of successfully beating 100NL and moving on.


so i guess i would say you don't need to become a lag to beat 100NL, but if you want to crush 100NL and move onto 200NL then a LAG style must be developed. i think if your playing 16/12 with a 3%+ 3bet, and 85% or less fold to 3bet your going to be winning at a much greater rate than a typical 12/9 11/8 type style with a 1% 3bet, and 90+ fold to 3bet.
DiscoBisco is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #1741
Equus asinus
veteran
 
Equus asinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,842
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpethybridge View Post
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I play $50 and $100. I beat $100 for a low win rate playing 11/9-ish, 12/9 ish, the same style that gets me a good win rate at $50.

So i am constantly wondering--do I need to become a LAg to beat $100? I don't think I do; there are lots of winners in the 10/7 to 12/9 range at $100, despite the fact that as a group, people who play those stats lose about 1bb/100.

I don't like LAg style and find it difficult to play. But if I have to I have to. That's where my thinking is these days.
That's crazy stuff. My stats are closer to what you say is goot for 100. Obviously I should move up
Equus asinus is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #1742
QQ-Q u a d s-QQ
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 343
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpethybridge View Post
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I play $50 and $100. I beat $100 for a low win rate playing 11/9-ish, 12/9 ish, the same style that gets me a good win rate at $50.

So i am constantly wondering--do I need to become a LAg to beat $100? I don't think I do; there are lots of winners in the 10/7 to 12/9 range at $100, despite the fact that as a group, people who play those stats lose about 1bb/100.

I don't like LAg style and find it difficult to play. But if I have to I have to. That's where my thinking is these days.
pshh pshh mpethy id say im a lag and im a winnnnnnnnnner!
QQ-Q u a d s-QQ is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #1743
Equus asinus
veteran
 
Equus asinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,842
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

What levels are you playing now?
Equus asinus is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #1744
mpethybridge
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mpethybridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 86.4% dead, most likely
Posts: 16,997
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
i generally play a 16/12 type style at the 100. i haven't played 50 in a while but i think i played roughly a 11/8 there. i think playing any tighter than 12/9 is fairly exploitable at 100. obviously most players won't exploit that style, but thinking laggier players will be able to exploit it. by lag i dont always mean like 18+/14+ i just mean lag in terms of what hes currently playing. basically just saying he needs to loosen up and play more pots. getting stronger in position and especially in 3bet pots and exploiting players who fold to 3bets way to much and/or don't 3bet enough are the HUGE parts of successfully beating 100NL and moving on.


so i guess i would say you don't need to become a lag to beat 100NL, but if you want to crush 100NL and move onto 200NL then a LAG style must be developed. i think if your playing 16/12 with a 3%+ 3bet, and 85% or less fold to 3bet your going to be winning at a much greater rate than a typical 12/9 11/8 type style with a 1% 3bet, and 90+ fold to 3bet.
This all makes sense to me. I mean, my style has changed like crazy in the last year, even though my vpip and pfr have not changed that much. Right now, I play basically 12/9--it's actually like 11.8/8,7 in my db right now. But I am uber tight in EP-- 6/6 and pretty loose--25/17 otb. I 3 bet a hair under 3% and I fold to 45% of 3 bets (lol, don't get me started on that stat), 4 betting a lot of the 55% I don't fold. It's LP and 3 betting that have been the big changes in my game over the last year.

I think I could easily convert my game to a 16/12 style if I figured out how to open up in MP and get a bit better playing postflop with the trash hands I steal with.

Those are basically pretty modest adjustments, really, to change from a 12/8 to a 16/12, but they are super hard adjustments, I am finding out.
mpethybridge is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #1745
mpethybridge
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mpethybridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 86.4% dead, most likely
Posts: 16,997
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQ-Q u a d s-QQ View Post
pshh pshh mpethy id say im a lag and im a winnnnnnnnnner!
sure hope you are kidding. I know you are a LAg who beats $50. I also know that most LAgs playing $50 are losing.
mpethybridge is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #1746
DiscoBisco
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,701
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpethybridge View Post
This all makes sense to me. I mean, my style has changed like crazy in the last year, even though my vpip and pfr have not changed that much. Right now, I play basically 12/9--it's actually like 11.8/8,7 in my db right now. But I am uber tight in EP-- 6/6 and pretty loose--25/17 otb. I 3 bet a hair under 3% and I fold to 45% of 3 bets (lol, don't get me started on that stat), 4 betting a lot of the 55% I don't fold. It's LP and 3 betting that have been the big changes in my game over the last year.

I think I could easily convert my game to a 16/12 style if I figured out how to open up in MP and get a bit better playing postflop with the trash hands I steal with.

Those are basically pretty modest adjustments, really, to change from a 12/8 to a 16/12, but they are super hard adjustments, I am finding out.
the way i upped my vpip/pfr is opening 22+(definitely debatable),AQ+ in EP, and raising a ton of hands probably down to like 65s on the cutoff/button. enough players don't open hands like KJ/QJ/KQ from late mid position (Hijack). this is player dependent to me based on who is between you and the blinds. if you have players who like to flat in position and play flops don't open these hands. if you have players that don't 3bet and dont mess around much ie tighter players or just flat out nits, then you should be opening just about any 2 cards when it folds to you on the Hijack+

and yes, obviously raising some of these super light hands will get you in trouble in postflop spots. but generally you will have position. and you can mix up your play based on your opponents perceived ranges. cbetting a lot of flops, checking back a lot of turns, and then evaluating the river.
DiscoBisco is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #1747
DiscoBisco
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,701
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

also, a 45% fold to 3bet is super exploitable lol. this means that the proper adjustment someone should make is starting to 3bet you for value with hands as weak as 99/TT/AT/AJ. this also means your probably 4betting light too much. i'm sure your aware of how other ppl perceive this. your standard tight 50NL/100NL player probably won't even realize this about you, or even have 3bet stats on his HUD, but any decent lag will be 5shoving u light in return at times.
DiscoBisco is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #1748
MATEUSZEK
Pooh-Bah
 
MATEUSZEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sunglasses and Advil
Posts: 3,598
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Too many short stacking bastards on full tilt lately. Starting to get really pissed.
MATEUSZEK is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #1749
EdmontonRounder
adept
 
EdmontonRounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Transcribing glyphs.
Posts: 1,098
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpethybridge View Post
This all makes sense to me. I mean, my style has changed like crazy in the last year, even though my vpip and pfr have not changed that much. Right now, I play basically 12/9--it's actually like 11.8/8,7 in my db right now. But I am uber tight in EP-- 6/6 and pretty loose--25/17 otb. I 3 bet a hair under 3% and I fold to 45% of 3 bets (lol, don't get me started on that stat), 4 betting a lot of the 55% I don't fold. It's LP and 3 betting that have been the big changes in my game over the last year.

I think I could easily convert my game to a 16/12 style if I figured out how to open up in MP and get a bit better playing postflop with the trash hands I steal with.

Those are basically pretty modest adjustments, really, to change from a 12/8 to a 16/12, but they are super hard adjustments, I am finding out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by QQ-Q u a d s-QQ View Post
pshh pshh mpethy id say im a lag and im a winnnnnnnnnner!
LOL, I had no idea you were 2+2 Quads. FWIW, I used to play like 11/9 at 50 and 100 NL and had a decent winrate (3.7 ptbb/100). However, now I play like 16/13 and I am currently destroying 50. I really think that it is highly advisable to at least try and open up a bit more IF you have been a winning TAG in the past. I had been very content with my moderate winrate, and looking back I realize it was very foolish of me not to at least consider changing things up.

Last edited by EdmontonRounder; 06-11-2009 at 10:25 PM.
EdmontonRounder is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #1750
EdmontonRounder
adept
 
EdmontonRounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Transcribing glyphs.
Posts: 1,098
Re: ***Official 2009 Micro Stakes FR Full Tilt Regulars Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
the way i upped my vpip/pfr is opening 22+(definitely debatable),AQ+ in EP, and raising a ton of hands probably down to like 65s on the cutoff/button. enough players don't open hands like KJ/QJ/KQ from late mid position (Hijack). this is player dependent to me based on who is between you and the blinds. if you have players who like to flat in position and play flops don't open these hands. if you have players that don't 3bet and dont mess around much ie tighter players or just flat out nits, then you should be opening just about any 2 cards when it folds to you on the Hijack+

and yes, obviously raising some of these super light hands will get you in trouble in postflop spots. but generally you will have position. and you can mix up your play based on your opponents perceived ranges. cbetting a lot of flops, checking back a lot of turns, and then evaluating the river.
This post is spot on, and pretty much word for word what I changed in my own game. Again, it really helps if you have been a winner in the past in a somewhat more TAG style (12/9). All you have to do is make a few minor adjustments and basically open up more hands in late position. It has made a monumental difference in my game and I am definitely happy that I decided to listen to some suggestions from winning LAG players, specifically NL_Fool.
EdmontonRounder is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive