Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Online No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em online cash games of all stakes, including pot-limit and cap games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #26
fozzy71
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fozzy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 8 Mile + 2.5
Posts: 37,558
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Not a mod of this forum, but I wouldn't do that even if I could. . I just come here to troll once in a while. Just something to think about when you make big theory type posts so it is a bit easier for the reader to follow.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

*Edit

Thx for the CN's.
fozzy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #27
donkyfish
adept
 
donkyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: N/A
Posts: 762
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nut View Post

One thing is for sure though:

If there's an aggrotard at the table and you wait for AA like everyone else at the table, you don't have a better chance to bust him than your opponents. It'll just become a race of who's gonna be dealt AA first (exaggerated example of course but you get what I mean)
nice 1k post
i am not sure for this
"You need to be 3bet isolating these aggrotards!!!"

of cus you not going to wait for AA to 3 bet them, but what set of hand range you will do it, AT+, 88+?

if you decide to 3 bet them with any two or marginal holding, because they are aggrotard, they might just 4 bet you or just shove on you, then if you holding something like K9, you can't call, right? so what's your plan
donkyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #28
Ouird
veteran
 
Ouird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dagobah System
Posts: 2,412
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Excellent post!! tyvm
Ouird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #29
acethiest
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,902
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Pretty good post. Agree with most of what it says.

I'm a reg (well depends on the week :P) and find that when 8 tabling you really need to shift attention to tables where you have huge fish/aggros. Start playing more hands at those tables and make specific notes about the fish. You really don't need to pay much attention to the other regs. Also don't be afraid to leave a table and open another if no dead money is there.

And yes I am a firm beleiver that 20/18 players vary greatly in styles.
acethiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,691
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkyfish View Post
nice 1k post
i am not sure for this
"You need to be 3bet isolating these aggrotards!!!"

of cus you not going to wait for AA to 3 bet them, but what set of hand range you will do it, AT+, 88+?

if you decide to 3 bet them with any two or marginal holding, because they are aggrotard, they might just 4 bet you or just shove on you, then if you holding something like K9, you can't call, right? so what's your plan
In my experience most of them call a lot of 3bets but they don't 4bet or shove. If they do, I tighten up immediately.

Again, I'm not gonna give you guys set ranges. I've tried for too long imitating people and I know that this is bad. What makes you a better player is if you take advice from others and then...

... think about poker for yourself!!!

so instead of telling you "raise xyz vs joe shmoe aggrotard"

I'm telling you:

- think about the range of hands he's playing on average and then compare your actual holding to that range

- try and be quick in developing preflop reads on your opponents (do they call 3bets with weak holdings OOP or do they fold often would be a start)

- try and be quick in developing postflop reads on your opponents (are they fit/fold or stationy would be a start)

- Then apply what you have learned and pwn the **** outta them.
Sugar Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #31
donkyfish
adept
 
donkyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: N/A
Posts: 762
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nut View Post
In my experience most of them call a lot of 3bets but they don't 4bet or shove. If they do, I tighten up immediately.

Again, I'm not gonna give you guys set ranges. I've tried for too long imitating people and I know that this is bad. What makes you a better player is if you take advice from others and then...

... think about poker for yourself!!!

so instead of telling you "raise xyz vs joe shmoe aggrotard"

I'm telling you:

- think about the range of hands he's playing on average and then compare your actual holding to that range

- try and be quick in developing preflop reads on your opponents (do they call 3bets with weak holdings OOP or do they fold often would be a start)

- try and be quick in developing postflop reads on your opponents (are they fit/fold or stationy would be a start)

- Then apply what you have learned and pwn the **** outta them.
very clear, thx a lot

you are right, instead of just copy some play from others, i think its better to think deep by myself and truely understand my own game
donkyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #32
**ZeitGeist**
grinder
 
**ZeitGeist**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Curacao
Posts: 599
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nut View Post
In my experience most of them call a lot of 3bets but they don't 4bet or shove. If they do, I tighten up immediately.

Again, I'm not gonna give you guys set ranges. I've tried for too long imitating people and I know that this is bad. What makes you a better player is if you take advice from others and then...

... think about poker for yourself!!!

so instead of telling you "raise xyz vs joe shmoe aggrotard"

I'm telling you:

- think about the range of hands he's playing on average and then compare your actual holding to that range

- try and be quick in developing preflop reads on your opponents (do they call 3bets with weak holdings OOP or do they fold often would be a start)

- try and be quick in developing postflop reads on your opponents (are they fit/fold or stationy would be a start)

- Then apply what you have learned and pwn the **** outta them.
Yeah i agree with OP here, i think most people make a mistake by asking what range should they 3bet ip or oop from blinds etc etc, everthing is depending on villain and what you know about him. And the lines of thought that OP gave are basic knowledge everybody should be using.
**ZeitGeist** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #33
behhh04
veteran
 
behhh04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,452
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

my problem is that so many villaisn i face are like 50/30 aggro stations. I try 3 betting and isolating these guys with say a hand like KQ but they so often call me. When the flop comes like Axx if i bet and they flat call, what is my play on the turn? What do i do if they donk into me on the flop? (assuming i have position).
behhh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #34
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,691
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

"my raise, my pot" is what got me in trouble big time....

I can't comment on the hand since I don't know villain. Vs an unknown that i just happen to have these stats on I prolly give up turn and assume he has Ax a lot.

I try and get to showdown as early as possible vs these guys to have reads on them. Stats suck. (well stats ONLY suck)
Sugar Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
behhh04
veteran
 
behhh04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,452
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

initially i was playing like a 22/20 style but just found that these sorts of aggro stations never respected my raises/folded so i was leaking money cbetting and double barreling etc (even when i was restricting these to dry flops or good cbetting flops like Axx or Kxx).

Is it a better idea when u face a table with like 3 of these guys to just play something like 17/15 and stick to solid abc poker without the 3 betting light, isolating in position with marginal holdings etc?
behhh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #36
donkyfish
adept
 
donkyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: N/A
Posts: 762
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by behhh04 View Post
initially i was playing like a 22/20 style but just found that these sorts of aggro stations never respected my raises/folded so i was leaking money cbetting and double barreling etc (even when i was restricting these to dry flops or good cbetting flops like Axx or Kxx).

Is it a better idea when u face a table with like 3 of these guys to just play something like 17/15 and stick to solid abc poker without the 3 betting light, isolating in position with marginal holdings etc?
i think like the op said, it really depends on your vallain, if they never fold to your c-bet, then you shouldn't c-bet bluff, should c-bet for value or c-bet less on flop and give up if called
donkyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #37
Ouird
veteran
 
Ouird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dagobah System
Posts: 2,412
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

it was asked, but i didnt see the answer anywhere

when you make your statements are you thinking everyone has at least a 100bb stack?
Ouird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #38
mksmipalla
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a glass case of emotions
Posts: 322
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Great post Sugar Nut. This is something I have that I'm realy trying to work on in my game. I need to isolate more against the right type of opp. Like others here I find I try this and get called a lot and having my cbets called then either haveing to give up on the hand or wonder I'd I should be double bareling. I have watch a lot of your vidoes and have found them really helpful including you 3bet lectures. Nice work. Hope you hand some new micro videos comming.
mksmipalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #39
Yoginatore
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

nice post, thanks.
Yoginatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #40
dcredskins24
Pooh-Bah
 
dcredskins24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,056
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Awesome post! Thanks...
dcredskins24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #41
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,691
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by behhh04 View Post
initially i was playing like a 22/20 style but just found that these sorts of aggro stations never respected my raises/folded so i was leaking money cbetting and double barreling etc (even when i was restricting these to dry flops or good cbetting flops like Axx or Kxx).

Is it a better idea when u face a table with like 3 of these guys to just play something like 17/15 and stick to solid abc poker without the 3 betting light, isolating in position with marginal holdings etc?
I have the feeling you completely misunderstood my post. I don't advocate ANY stats. I want to encourage you guys to think outside the box and take advantage of certain situations.

Today I played a session of 4 tables. On one table I was running 12/9 because no situations came up for me to isolate. Good players kept opening before me (and I can 3bet them only so much) so I couldn't open my button as much as i wanted to etc. (I quickly replaced that table btw)
On other tables I ran way over 40 vpip because ppl kept limpng and I had tight guys to my left.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT STATS I PLAY!!!

I look at every situation independantly and make my decisions accordingly.

That said, yeah ABC poker is gonna win you some money. You'll never really get better postflop playing ABC though, because, simply put, your range is too strong to ever face marginal spots.

I never play more than 4 tables because I try to suck in every last bit of information. If a villain snap does something, that means something. If a villain waits before doing something that either means he plays a gazillion tables or he has a a reason to wait (the client's player search can help here).

Over time you'll get better at figuring out what timing tells mean, what different betsizes on different board textures mean, if snapcalls on wet boards are pairs or rather draws, what snapcalls on dry textures mean... etc (I could go on an on here and obv from villain to villain different things mean different hands/ranges)

No one can teach you experience. Experience is something you get by CONCIOUSLY playing every hand as an INDIVIDUAL situation. Take notes, develop reads, don't play "my raise, my pot" poker and you will develop into a force to be recconed wwith at the tables.

Last edited by Sugar Nut; 04-29-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: On other tables I ran way over 40 vpip because ppl kept limpng and I had tight guys to my LEFT (wrote RIGHT by acident)
Sugar Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #42
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,691
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouird View Post
it was asked, but i didnt see the answer anywhere

when you make your statements are you thinking everyone has at least a 100bb stack?
Look at post #19 in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksmipalla View Post
Great post Sugar Nut. This is something I have that I'm realy trying to work on in my game. I need to isolate more against the right type of opp. Like others here I find I try this and get called a lot and having my cbets called then either haveing to give up on the hand or wonder I'd I should be double bareling. I have watch a lot of your vidoes and have found them really helpful including you 3bet lectures. Nice work. Hope you hand some new micro videos comming.
10NL vid coming this week
Sugar Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #43
Restlys
old hand
 
Restlys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,227
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

we can make 1k post?
Restlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #44
Terremoto
adept
 
Terremoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the Rofl House
Posts: 751
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nut View Post
10NL vid coming this week
Forgive my ignorance, but what site are your vids hosted on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restlys View Post
we can make 1k post?
No, you're only allowed to make 999 posts, but since you've violated the TOC you must suck up to the mods for permission to post 1,071 now.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Terremoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #45
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,691
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terremoto View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what site are your vids hosted on?
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...aining-397096/

Disclaimer:

I did NOT write this post to plug the site. But going from a swingy breakeven reg to a video instructor was an accomplishement I wanted to point out to let everybody know that with the right effort and mindset you can achive something in poker.
Sugar Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #46
loxz
centurion
 
loxz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 109
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

thanks sugar nut great post
loxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #47
Jtringer
veteran
 
Jtringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bombing My PTR on Purpose
Posts: 2,542
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Really enjoyed the post, went through a lot of similar thioughts as i opened up my game.

Just for fun do you wanna post a garph?
Jtringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #48
Terremoto
adept
 
Terremoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the Rofl House
Posts: 751
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nut View Post
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...aining-397096/

Disclaimer:

I did NOT write this post to plug the site. But going from a swingy breakeven reg to a video instructor was an accomplishement I wanted to point out to let everybody know that with the right effort and mindset you can achive something in poker.
TY, and you only mentioned it when asked, so I wouldn't think it's an issue. I like your approach to the game and would like to hear your thought process while playing.
Terremoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #49
SqueezR
stranger
 
SqueezR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

Nice post...
SqueezR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #50
Restlys
old hand
 
Restlys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,227
Re: 1K Post: Improve Your Game And Your Stats Will Follow!

lol@ everyone at NL50 3betting each other
Restlys is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive