Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Tournament Events Live updates from major events, logistics, trip reports, and other live (not televised) major tournament discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
bagofoRANGEs
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
WSOP Main Event

Hey

Playing ME for the first time this year and could use some help from anyone who has had the pleasure before.

Do I stay at the Rio?
Do I get to pick my Day 1?
What's easiest way to buy seat in advance?
Where are the best places to eat quickly on breaks?
All advise welcome!

Thanks for the help!
bagofoRANGEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:58 AM   #2
ChelseaAggro
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: London
Posts: 49
Re: WSOP Main Event

No
Yes
Cash
McDonald’s

My pleasure. Good questions, keep ´em coming….
ChelseaAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
bagofoRANGEs
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaAggro View Post
No
Yes
Cash
McDonald’s

My pleasure. Good questions, keep ´em coming….

Why not the Rio?
Super cheap and room is close to the table?
bagofoRANGEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
riverph7
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere close to Wall Street
Posts: 1,757
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofoRANGEs View Post
Hey

Playing ME for the first time this year and could use some help from anyone who has had the pleasure before.

Do I stay at the Rio?
Do I get to pick my Day 1?
What's easiest way to buy seat in advance?
Where are the best places to eat quickly on breaks?
All advise welcome!

Thanks for the help!
1, Yes I would stay at Rio . ( In fact I am playing ME and I will be staying there )
2, Sure You can pick your day 1 (It’s your money ).
3, Online Registration will open from August.
4, Food court set up near the tournament’s area ( Depending on your choice of food)
Good Luck and enjoy .

Last edited by riverph7; 07-05-2021 at 07:58 AM.
riverph7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 31,141
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofoRANGEs View Post
Where are the best places to eat quickly on breaks?
All advise welcome!

Thanks for the help!
Quickly? Something packed in your backpack.

Or arrange for the guy that delivers food (All-American Dave) to the tables to bring it, it's just expensive.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
bagofoRANGEs
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverph7 View Post
1, Yes I would stay at Rio . ( In fact I am playing ME and I will be staying there )
2, Sure You can pick your day 1 (It’s your money ).
3, Online Registration will open from August.
4, Food court set up near the tournament’s area ( Depending on your choice of food)
Good Luck and enjoy .
Thank you very much! & GL to you too!
bagofoRANGEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
ledn
MTTLivePro
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 387
Re: WSOP Main Event

1) If you want to. Its will be easiest if you are coming specifically for the WSOP and don't plan on going out on the strip or something.

2) Yes, you can even register into the start of Day 2 if you wish. That way you get to brag about making day 2 (with a starting stack!!!).

3) Go the night before, not really worth it to register online for one event because you still have to stand in a line to verify your cc, although this late in the series that line may be very short.

4) In the RIO I dont really know, but assume they have several restaurants. There is the WSOP Cafe near the tournament area that has few different things, I like the salad stand in there. There is a also a to go burger joint near the parking garage entrance.
ledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:13 AM   #8
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 31,141
Re: WSOP Main Event

The thing about the regular restaurants is, there will probably be at least a couple thousand players on the same break, trying to eat. If you're staying at Rio, and IF (big if) their room service is working, you can try that. Order beforehand obv. Ideally, if a buddy or wife is going with, they can order it for you 45 min before the break.

WRT possible crowds, look at the schedule. There are a LOT of events after the Main this year. There could be quite a lot of people hanging around.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:43 AM   #9
bagofoRANGEs
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
The thing about the regular restaurants is, there will probably be at least a couple thousand players on the same break, trying to eat. If you're staying at Rio, and IF (big if) their room service is working, you can try that. Order beforehand obv. Ideally, if a buddy or wife is going with, they can order it for you 45 min before the break.

WRT possible crowds, look at the schedule. There are a LOT of events after the Main this year. There could be quite a lot of people hanging around.
Wow great advice! Thanks alot!
bagofoRANGEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:46 AM   #10
bagofoRANGEs
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledn View Post
1) If you want to. Its will be easiest if you are coming specifically for the WSOP and don't plan on going out on the strip or something.

2) Yes, you can even register into the start of Day 2 if you wish. That way you get to brag about making day 2 (with a starting stack!!!).

3) Go the night before, not really worth it to register online for one event because you still have to stand in a line to verify your cc, although this late in the series that line may be very short.

4) In the RIO I dont really know, but assume they have several restaurants. There is the WSOP Cafe near the tournament area that has few different things, I like the salad stand in there. There is a also a to go burger joint near the parking garage entrance.

Lots of good stuff here! Thanks for the help/knowledge!
Especially love #2! haha
bagofoRANGEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
WillyWonky
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 93
Re: WSOP Main Event

1) I personally wouldn't stay at Rio, there are very poor dining options especially if you want to eat well (healthy) and its overly busy during the main event time. Really depends on your budget, but Cosmopolitan and Vdara are very short taxis (10 mins), much nicer to stay in and muuuch better food options.

2)Of course, many people try and say this day is better than another but I've had mixed experiences with all the options. So pick which day suits you best!

3)Registering the night before is good advice, means you can just show up at 10 mins before start time

4)I personally like to disappear back to the strip on dinner breaks, taxi to cosmo or Vdara. This cuts about a half hour out my break but its nice and quiet and more choice of food. There's plenty time to get out, eat casually and get back if you're quick off the mark to get to the taxi line. Depending on what you like to eat, if you're staying on strip you can easily bring your own food/snacks (from Walgreens or something) for the shorter breaks and just go sit somewhere quiet if you can make it in and out the bathroom in time.

Enjoy!
WillyWonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #12
TampaKn1sh
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 62
Re: WSOP Main Event

I'm a big fan of getting up 10-15 minutes before a break so I can beat the rush of players to the bathrooms or food options.

It'll give you a little less of a hectic experience, allowing you to not feel rushed and have to wharf down your meal or get stuck in long lines to the restrooms and not be able to enjoy your break.
TampaKn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:01 AM   #13
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 31,141
Re: WSOP Main Event

Then you miss hands. My priority is to play instead of eating and peeing.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #14
The Executioner
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 7
WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
Then you miss hands. My priority is to play instead of eating and peeing.
Likewise.

Don't want to miss any hands either.
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:06 PM   #15
popesc
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 311
Re: WSOP Main Event

If you have a room at the Rio, do you have time to make it to your room and back during a break for bathroom purposes?
popesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #16
riverph7
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere close to Wall Street
Posts: 1,757
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by popesc View Post
If you have a room at the Rio, do you have time to make it to your room and back during a break for bathroom purposes?
Rio is huge . Depending on which tower your room is , even jogging will take 5 to 7 minutes one way . Not advisable during short brakes (15-20 minutes)
riverph7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:06 AM   #17
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 31,141
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by popesc View Post
If you have a room at the Rio, do you have time to make it to your room and back during a break for bathroom purposes?
Sometimes.

It depends on where your table is, how big the crowd at the elevators is, which floor you're on, and how far down the hall your room is. If you think about it, any of these variables can affect your transit time a couple minutes, 2 or 3 unlucky events stacked, and you're 5 or 10 minutes late getting back.

Best solution is to be a whale so you can get one of those villas that's only halfway down the hall from the convention center.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #18
madrobin
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 553
Re: WSOP Main Event

I wouldn't stay at the Rio, because:

1. Room rates during the WSOP will be stratospheric.
2. Your room will be far enough away from the tournament area that you won't really be able to use it as a refuge during breaks, etc.
3. It's an old hotel, many of the rooms are in serious need of remodeling, and it's a CET property (they are the force of evil incarnate).

The Gold Coast is a vastly superior and much cheaper option. Easy walking distance, a bunch of great and inexpensive restaurants, and it'll be far less crowded than the Rio.
madrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:59 PM   #19
tomshooter
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 77
Re: WSOP Main Event

When I played in 2019 I had a room in the Rio and I was able to get to my room and back on breaks and I was never late. I should add that I am in my 60's with a bad knee and 50 extra pounds so I can guarantee I was not running.

I did however limit my time in the room to a piss and back out within a minute.
tomshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:49 AM   #20
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 31,141
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrobin View Post
CET property (they are the force of evil incarnate).
You're confusing them with MGM, the pioneer of parking fees and resort fees. May they burn in hell.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #21
tomshooter
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 77
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrobin View Post
I wouldn't stay at the Rio, because:

1. Room rates during the WSOP will be stratospheric.
2. Your room will be far enough away from the tournament area that you won't really be able to use it as a refuge during breaks, etc.
3. It's an old hotel, many of the rooms are in serious need of remodeling, and it's a CET property (they are the force of evil incarnate).

The Gold Coast is a vastly superior and much cheaper option. Easy walking distance, a bunch of great and inexpensive restaurants, and it'll be far less crowded than the Rio.
Is the walk from the Rio to gold Coast dangerous at night?
tomshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #22
RedOak
FUD
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 643
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshooter View Post
Is the walk from the Rio to gold Coast dangerous at night?
No, not at all. It is well lit, has a crosswalk, and is just across the street.
RedOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #23
threebanger
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 430
Re: WSOP Main Event

Sorry if this has already been asked, but will the Gold Coast be running a tourney series during the WSOP?
threebanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:36 PM   #24
razorbacker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
razorbacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DUNK CITY
Posts: 6,704
Re: WSOP Main Event

There is a big worker shortage in Vegas so plan accordingly for food on dinner break.

I wouldn’t stay at the RIO. It’s a dump. I used to stay at the Palms for WSOP but I haven’t been to that casino in years so I don’t know how it is now.
razorbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:37 AM   #25
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 31,141
Re: WSOP Main Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebanger View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked, but will the Gold Coast be running a tourney series during the WSOP?
Gold Coast closed their poker room quite a few years ago.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive