Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Tournament Events Live updates from major events, logistics, trip reports, and other live (not televised) major tournament discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #176
TAFFYMAN
adept
 
TAFFYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: va
Posts: 883
Quick question, if someone buys in late to the 1k satty will u sit down with a full stack
TAFFYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #177
DrSwaggerWagon
journeyman
 
DrSwaggerWagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 5280
Posts: 233
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFFYMAN View Post
Quick question, if someone buys in late to the 1k satty will u sit down with a full stack
Nope. At my table right now they were blinding off the stacks immediately
DrSwaggerWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #178
Scansion
veteran
 
Scansion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwaggerWagon View Post
Nope. At my table right now they were blinding off the stacks immediately
Really? This hasn't been the case for anything I've played so far. Can't remember if I've late registered for a satellite or not but I'd be surprised if it was different than the regular events where you get a full stack when you sit.
Scansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #179
DrSwaggerWagon
journeyman
 
DrSwaggerWagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 5280
Posts: 233
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scansion View Post
Really? This hasn't been the case for anything I've played so far. Can't remember if I've late registered for a satellite or not but I'd be surprised if it was different than the regular events where you get a full stack when you sit.
Ok, sorry for the misinfo. Just clarified with the dealer. Any stack that was already sold before 1pm was blinded off. The 5 and 10 seat stacks were kept in the well and when those were sold to late registering players, they were given a full stack but had to post or wait for the blind. And it's re-entry.
DrSwaggerWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #180
stunna954
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BIG GULP HUH? WELL, SEE YA LATER
Posts: 125
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scansion View Post
Really? This hasn't been the case for anything I've played so far. Can't remember if I've late registered for a satellite or not but I'd be surprised if it was different than the regular events where you get a full stack when you sit.
I played in this satellite too, luckily I made it. Were you actually #54 or were you #53 who took home 8K cause 54 was at my table. The big stacks were idiots they were refusing deals even when they were guaranteed 10.2K so they were just being douchy.

I personally thought it was a total crap shoot after level 6 no more poker at all. the avg stack to bb ratio got to about 9 with 100+ still left so it was a push fest for 3+ hours with so much stalling. When the tourney finished the avg stack to bb ration was just over 6 I think. The tournament director had zero control of the tournament people were doing whatever they wanted play stalled to where there was about about 5 hands in two levels for all tables and they did nothing about it and the dealer at my table thought it was funny. Finally they went hand for hand with like 56 people remaining but it was too late it had all fallen apart at that point. There was mass collusion with people begging others not to call them as they were already in and saying they would fold later and everyone should just give walks. Lastly by the time I got paid it was 6am so it was a 10 hour ordeal.

All in all there's probably value in the satellite because people were awful and pays nearly 1/5 but the 1st one that ran was hopefully a learning experience cause it was ran terribly and the structure and allowed stalling and collusion made it a crap shot.
stunna954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #181
Wubbie075
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: City so nice they named it twice
Posts: 2,593
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwaggerWagon View Post
Wubbie,

if you do play today, please post a quick summary of your experience. i'm flying in tomorrow to play the 1k satty. would like to get an idea of how these are playing, say compared to a 1k bracelet event or something...
When I got to the cage to reg I decided at the last second to bubble the 235DS instead.

I played the 1k yesterday and 550 today flaming out early in both. Obviously,I didn't last long enough to have any meaningful commentary except that I wish I was the guy who got AA KK QQ or JJ ten times in the first 3 levels.

Next year I'm gonna skip the deepstacks and focus more on the micro-STTs because they were ludicrously soft.

Last edited by Wubbie075; 07-09-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Wubbie075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #182
Scansion
veteran
 
Scansion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunna954 View Post
I played in this satellite too, luckily I made it. Were you actually #54 or were you #53 who took home 8K cause 54 was at my table. The big stacks were idiots they were refusing deals even when they were guaranteed 10.2K so they were just being douchy.

I personally thought it was a total crap shoot after level 6 no more poker at all. the avg stack to bb ratio got to about 9 with 100+ still left so it was a push fest for 3+ hours with so much stalling. When the tourney finished the avg stack to bb ration was just over 6 I think. The tournament director had zero control of the tournament people were doing whatever they wanted play stalled to where there was about about 5 hands in two levels for all tables and they did nothing about it and the dealer at my table thought it was funny. Finally they went hand for hand with like 56 people remaining but it was too late it had all fallen apart at that point. There was mass collusion with people begging others not to call them as they were already in and saying they would fold later and everyone should just give walks. Lastly by the time I got paid it was 6am so it was a 10 hour ordeal.

All in all there's probably value in the satellite because people were awful and pays nearly 1/5 but the 1st one that ran was hopefully a learning experience cause it was ran terribly and the structure and allowed stalling and collusion made it a crap shot.
I was 54th, the middle table closest to the back of the room in seat 10. Two other stacks had 7k and 8k when I had 7k in the big blind, and I busted with 35ss vs the gentleman who was nice enough to open J2dd in EP.

My only thoughts right now on the entire escapade is that it's part of the nature of satellites, but the absurdity of the situation could have been diluted if the tournament director had expressed even a little interest in keeping things running smoothly.
Scansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #183
DAT MOOSE
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,496
Angry Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Well this thread is probably dying down (and I am not much of a satellite player to begin with) but I played a few megas over the course of the series and I saw the most egregious display of collusion I've ever witnessed during the last 1pm 1060 on Sunday, July 8. A bunch of people entered and there were 78 seats and ~$3700 for 39th. With about 140 people left a player at table 309 (middle aged indian guy with glasses) says to his table "Our table won't break. I have a way for us all to get a seat, lets meet on the 20 minute break." This info was relayed to me through a guy at that table, to a guy at my table, to me.

As the tournament goes on people are getting knocked out from every table except 309 - eventually rumors start spreading that the players at 309 are just walking everyone at the table. The floor positions a guy to watch the table and he reports that they are playing somewhat normally. The floor leaves and the field is getting shorter. By the time we get to ~85 players all 9 players at 309 are still there from ~140 (when rumors first spread of collusion). Despite 309 having the least amount of chips (and the limits being huge) everyone was still there. The final straw came near the bubble. 2 guys at my table were very short, and one had his friend on the rail of 309. He got a text saying "they just walked the indian guy with glasses, he had his 12k big blind in and 2k behind." He got another text saying it happened again.

At some point during this the floor randomly moves a guy from that table. As he walks past I call him a scumbag. The guys at my table tell me that he was the guy who reported the indian guy trying to round everybody up to cheat, so I ran after him to apologize. The two short stacks at my table were super nice guys (and btw we are all short b/c 5-6 bbs is a "comfortable" stack) so i got pissed that these guys were blatantly cheating.

I end up busting a guy from my table to reach a guaranteed seat so I walk over to 309 and say "you are all scumbags I hope you bust the **** tournament day one" and walk away. Eventually one of the nice short stacks at my table bubbles the tournament and everyone at 309 is all smiles and congratulations saying "we did it!" etc... I was furious and confronted a couple of them who tried defending themselves.... ("you dont know what happened" "i only had 30k i was just trying to win a seat" etc ) anyway i was too furious to write this last night and im still angry.

So many people to blame including the players, the dealers(for not reporting blatant collusion), and the floor (although they are good guys & good floors and were handcuffed by the gray area rules surrounding satellites). I know there is some level of "accepted collusion" in these satellites but this was so blatant and over the top. They basically cheated the guy at my table (and probably several others) out of 10k. I have no idea how to clean up these megas but this was so absurd and tilting I felt like ranting into this chat box. I hope they all busted 1C already... im still in
DAT MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #184
Lord_Strife
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Lord_Strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 6,504
The only real way to prevent this is to make the max number of seats awarded be 9 or 10 per satellite, so max the $550 at 200 players, etc. That'll never happen but it's the only real way to do it, even if they tried to run them like mtt sng satellites
Lord_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #185
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,063
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Strife View Post
The only real way to prevent this is to make the max number of seats awarded be 9 or 10 per satellite, so max the $550 at 200 players, etc. That'll never happen but it's the only real way to do it, even if they tried to run them like mtt sng satellites
Didnt someone propose a format where once a player reached the a chip stack equal to the total number of chips in play divided by seats awarded, they automatically won a seat and their chips were removed from play? I dont remember where I heard this, but it seemed like a pretty airtight solution.
NickMPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #186
Boiler_bd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Boiler_bd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pushbot Extrodinair
Posts: 8,159
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMPK View Post
Didnt someone propose a format where once a player reached the a chip stack equal to the total number of chips in play divided by seats awarded, they automatically won a seat and their chips were removed from play? I dont remember where I heard this, but it seemed like a pretty airtight solution.
I like this, I also like eliminating chat like they do online
Boiler_bd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #187
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30,728
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

It's not that hard to police that sort of collusion, but firstly you need floors and TD that give a rat's ***. They instruct the dealers to keep an eye out for this sort of thing and when it's reported, do like that floor did and randomly move a couple people around. If witnesses to the ringleader's scheming will "testify" to the TD, make the ringleader sit out an orbit (standard penalty) which effectively DQ's him.

The WSOP has people from all over the world coming to play. Some cultures have a moral "flexibility" when it comes to financial matters. In other words, if you can get away with it, it's not really cheating or stealing and it's okay to do.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #188
Lord_Strife
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Lord_Strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 6,504
Would take a while but maybe a full table redraw one or two tables away from the winning point would be really beneficial for this reason
Lord_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #189
rarerabbit
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 574
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Strife View Post
Would take a while but maybe a full table redraw one or two tables away from the winning point would be really beneficial for this reason
I like this; I could see this being done where the clock is stopped when 10 away from the "money" and every table having a redraw. Once done a few times should not take more than 10-15 minutes.
rarerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #190
nobody02111
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

i know this is way late and no idea why i went through this thread, but the single table sats are very easy...i was only there for 1 day. I played 4 $175 sats, won 1, chopped 2, and came in 2nd once. I know $175 is cheap, but hey thats $1625 to the winner.
nobody02111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #191
BraveJayhawk
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BraveJayhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Couch Coaching
Posts: 8,498
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT MOOSE View Post
Well this thread is probably dying down (and I am not much of a satellite player to begin with) but I played a few megas over the course of the series and I saw the most egregious display of collusion I've ever witnessed during the last 1pm 1060 on Sunday, July 8. A bunch of people entered and there were 78 seats and ~$3700 for 39th. With about 140 people left a player at table 309 (middle aged indian guy with glasses) says to his table "Our table won't break. I have a way for us all to get a seat, lets meet on the 20 minute break." This info was relayed to me through a guy at that table, to a guy at my table, to me.

As the tournament goes on people are getting knocked out from every table except 309 - eventually rumors start spreading that the players at 309 are just walking everyone at the table. The floor positions a guy to watch the table and he reports that they are playing somewhat normally. The floor leaves and the field is getting shorter. By the time we get to ~85 players all 9 players at 309 are still there from ~140 (when rumors first spread of collusion). Despite 309 having the least amount of chips (and the limits being huge) everyone was still there. The final straw came near the bubble. 2 guys at my table were very short, and one had his friend on the rail of 309. He got a text saying "they just walked the indian guy with glasses, he had his 12k big blind in and 2k behind." He got another text saying it happened again.

At some point during this the floor randomly moves a guy from that table. As he walks past I call him a scumbag. The guys at my table tell me that he was the guy who reported the indian guy trying to round everybody up to cheat, so I ran after him to apologize. The two short stacks at my table were super nice guys (and btw we are all short b/c 5-6 bbs is a "comfortable" stack) so i got pissed that these guys were blatantly cheating.

I end up busting a guy from my table to reach a guaranteed seat so I walk over to 309 and say "you are all scumbags I hope you bust the **** tournament day one" and walk away. Eventually one of the nice short stacks at my table bubbles the tournament and everyone at 309 is all smiles and congratulations saying "we did it!" etc... I was furious and confronted a couple of them who tried defending themselves.... ("you dont know what happened" "i only had 30k i was just trying to win a seat" etc ) anyway i was too furious to write this last night and im still angry.

So many people to blame including the players, the dealers(for not reporting blatant collusion), and the floor (although they are good guys & good floors and were handcuffed by the gray area rules surrounding satellites). I know there is some level of "accepted collusion" in these satellites but this was so blatant and over the top. They basically cheated the guy at my table (and probably several others) out of 10k. I have no idea how to clean up these megas but this was so absurd and tilting I felt like ranting into this chat box. I hope they all busted 1C already... im still in
It was such a painful experience and I didn't bubble. I would've been allin the next hand though. I've thought about this situation quite a bit. I talked to Robbie afterward. I don't blame him. He was in a tough situation.

If they redrew with 83 players left, I would've thrown a tirade as I already decided to fold out and hope for the best and a random draw would've been unfair given that it was unadvertised.

But this is the only thing that I thought of that could be prevent collusion. I suggest they redraw when x% of the field remains. This would've prevented table 309 from succeeding in this fashion. Do a full redraw with 12% of the field remaining in this scenario would've meant that 16ish players would've still had to bust to be in the money.

Also, there has to be an auto clock in these things inside 10 players out. You can't allow for stalling this close to the money and let people stand behind the 'it's a lot of money on the line' excuse.


re DAT MOOSE.

On the last hand, Brett limped in with the big blind allin for very little. The big stack in the small blind had shoved every hand the previous 2 rounds decided to move allin. BR shows AQ and says ok then, big stack shows A9 and the allin player had J7. The flop was Qxx. If a J or 7 hit, I would've been allin the next hand and on life tilt if I hadn't won my seat.

The big stack said it would've been collusion if he hadn't moved allin. Lol
BraveJayhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #192
Boiler_bd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Boiler_bd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pushbot Extrodinair
Posts: 8,159
Re: Rio WSOP satellite thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scansion View Post
I'll be doing a full TR after the main event as this is my first wsop, but for the last four hours we played an average of about a hand per 30 minute level. Deals were suggested, but someone always ended up taking the worst of it and disagreed (usually some guy who's got a 10.2k lock and won't take 10k). People berated both those who wouldnt agree to the deal as well as the tournament director for not instituting hand for hand.

Eventually he decided to do hand for hand because every table literally stopped playing and a "hand for hand" chant attracted the interest of the rest of the pavilion room. Additionally, none of the big stacks wanted to deal with the confrontations involved with calling the clock on the guy whose turn it was. In a few scenarios it looked like tempers were raised high enough for security to need to be called, but in the end I satisfied 53 other November 9 hopefuls by resigning as the bubble boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT MOOSE View Post
Well this thread is probably dying down (and I am not much of a satellite player to begin with) but I played a few megas over the course of the series and I saw the most egregious display of collusion I've ever witnessed during the last 1pm 1060 on Sunday, July 8. A bunch of people entered and there were 78 seats and ~$3700 for 39th. With about 140 people left a player at table 309 (middle aged indian guy with glasses) says to his table "Our table won't break. I have a way for us all to get a seat, lets meet on the 20 minute break." This info was relayed to me through a guy at that table, to a guy at my table, to me.

As the tournament goes on people are getting knocked out from every table except 309 - eventually rumors start spreading that the players at 309 are just walking everyone at the table. The floor positions a guy to watch the table and he reports that they are playing somewhat normally. The floor leaves and the field is getting shorter. By the time we get to ~85 players all 9 players at 309 are still there from ~140 (when rumors first spread of collusion). Despite 309 having the least amount of chips (and the limits being huge) everyone was still there. The final straw came near the bubble. 2 guys at my table were very short, and one had his friend on the rail of 309. He got a text saying "they just walked the indian guy with glasses, he had his 12k big blind in and 2k behind." He got another text saying it happened again.

At some point during this the floor randomly moves a guy from that table. As he walks past I call him a scumbag. The guys at my table tell me that he was the guy who reported the indian guy trying to round everybody up to cheat, so I ran after him to apologize. The two short stacks at my table were super nice guys (and btw we are all short b/c 5-6 bbs is a "comfortable" stack) so i got pissed that these guys were blatantly cheating.

I end up busting a guy from my table to reach a guaranteed seat so I walk over to 309 and say "you are all scumbags I hope you bust the **** tournament day one" and walk away. Eventually one of the nice short stacks at my table bubbles the tournament and everyone at 309 is all smiles and congratulations saying "we did it!" etc... I was furious and confronted a couple of them who tried defending themselves.... ("you dont know what happened" "i only had 30k i was just trying to win a seat" etc ) anyway i was too furious to write this last night and im still angry.

So many people to blame including the players, the dealers(for not reporting blatant collusion), and the floor (although they are good guys & good floors and were handcuffed by the gray area rules surrounding satellites). I know there is some level of "accepted collusion" in these satellites but this was so blatant and over the top. They basically cheated the guy at my table (and probably several others) out of 10k. I have no idea how to clean up these megas but this was so absurd and tilting I felt like ranting into this chat box. I hope they all busted 1C already... im still in
I was in both of these lol. Hope they get things together for next year. Table redraws close to $$$ and start hand for hand earlier at least.
Boiler_bd is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive