Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Tournament Events Live updates from major events, logistics, trip reports, and other live (not televised) major tournament discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #26
MarceloBahia
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 15
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
Agreed. I think that's totally reasonable. I had similar thoughts when WPT licensed their name out to so some random small cardoom in Texas where it's arguably not even legal to run poker tournaments.

It's definitely a bad look to be associated, and a bit reckless to slap your brand on just anything. That's not the same thing as being liable though, and I think OP is just saying they are because he's desperate to draw attention to his situation.
Thanks man, thatís just perfect. I wonít argue with you about that. If thatís what you think, thatís your right.

Iíll say one more time: i donít think 888 should be the only one to blame, but itís such a shame that they putted their name in such a tournment and did not care about the result.
MarceloBahia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:07 AM   #27
mamelas
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 84
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

You're 100% correct. If any company in any other industry sponsored an event, then they could and should be liable for costs as well. It is not lame for you to implicitly or explicitly say this. It is the case and 888 should be working just as hard as you to get you your money.
mamelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
Rimlog
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 193
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
From what I gather, 888 did not organize this tournament. They're just advertisers. Why are you trying to drag their name into this?
Weird hostility from you towards OP throughout this thread.

888 were "official sponsors" which is a lot more than just being advertisers, and I don't see anything in his original post which appears to be misleading. As sponsors 888 may have covered themselves legally to avoid liability, but it is in their interests to try and get this made right, as the whole idea of sponsorship is to be associated with prestigious events. They have much more clout to make a fuss about this than an individual participant, and they probably have legal grounds to pressure the organisers to honour their obligations, so it is entirely reasonable for him to highlight their involvement.

Good luck, OP. These battles are very hard to win, but I hope you get some justice. I think it is worth contacting 888Poker representatives on these boards as well as locally, not complaining to them but asking if they can help bring pressure on the organisers. It sounds as if someone has made an unfair profit at your expense.
Rimlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #29
MarceloBahia
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 15
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamelas View Post
You're 100% correct. If any company in any other industry sponsored an event, then they could and should be liable for costs as well. It is not lame for you to implicitly or explicitly say this. It is the case and 888 should be working just as hard as you to get you your money.
Thanks man! I think you got my point!

I don’t care if i’m going to be payd be CNE, the clubs or 888, But they should be aware that me not receiving os their problem as much as mine!
I feel like they think they’ve done enough aleready.
MarceloBahia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #30
MarceloBahia
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 15
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimlog View Post
Weird hostility from you towards OP throughout this thread.

888 were "official sponsors" which is a lot more than just being advertisers, and I don't see anything in his original post which appears to be misleading. As sponsors 888 may have covered themselves legally to avoid liability, but it is in their interests to try and get this made right, as the whole idea of sponsorship is to be associated with prestigious events. They have much more clout to make a fuss about this than an individual participant, and they probably have legal grounds to pressure the organisers to honour their obligations, so it is entirely reasonable for him to highlight their involvement.

Good luck, OP. These battles are very hard to win, but I hope you get some justice. I think it is worth contacting 888Poker representatives on these boards as well as locally, not complaining to them but asking if they can help bring pressure on the organisers. It sounds as if someone has made an unfair profit at your expense.
Tks bro!

I completely agree with everything you wrote.
Iím currently in contact with 888 headquarters in israel, but itís been 3 months already and not much has been done.
MarceloBahia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #31
Froost
banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

OP has a right to feel cheated, and 888 has some responsibility here, as well, and maybe that includes total responsibility, as OP rightly assumed they were involved. You cannot get the benefits of a sponsorship and then claim no liability, especially in poker, where being legit is a huge reason someone would enter a tourney. I agree that the defense of 888 here is strange, and it suggests some ulterior motive. Not a good look at all.
Froost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #32
Shuffle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,182
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

If this story is true, then sickening. I really feel for you OP.

The scammers are the people who organized and ran the tournament, they should be sued and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

If 888 sponsored the event then they bare some responsibility in my opinion as accessories and that's the consequence of failing at due diligence. They attached their name to something that turned out to be a scam. Expect to get a lot of pushback in the poker community considering the people who get a paycheck from 888, but just be persistent. The more negative publicity you give them the more eager they will be to pay you at least something.
Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #33
stinbag
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB Canada
Posts: 187
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
They attached their name to something that turned out to be a scam.
In good faith or bad faith? Did they know that would happen? Did they know the organizers of the tournament would fail to pay? The sponsor is not responsible for anything in this case other than possibly a quick apology and a point in the right direction for resolution.
stinbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #34
Shuffle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,182
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinbag View Post
In good faith or bad faith? Did they know that would happen? Did they know the organizers of the tournament would fail to pay? The sponsor is not responsible for anything in this case other than possibly a quick apology and a point in the right direction for resolution.
Even if they didn't know what would happen and are not legally responsible for the debt, they attached their name to the tournament and vouched for it in order to promote their brand. They used the tournament and bought publicity both good and bad.

If OP puts them on blast, as he should, it may cost 888 more in negative publicity than it would to just negotiate a settlement and pay the man some money.

Next time, don't recklessly attach your name to something that may be a scam.
Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #35
MarceloBahia
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 15
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froost View Post
OP has a right to feel cheated, and 888 has some responsibility here, as well, and maybe that includes total responsibility, as OP rightly assumed they were involved. You cannot get the benefits of a sponsorship and then claim no liability, especially in poker, where being legit is a huge reason someone would enter a tourney. I agree that the defense of 888 here is strange, and it suggests some ulterior motive. Not a good look at all.
Apreciated bro.

Tks for the support.
MarceloBahia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #36
Shuffle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,182
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

OP, at the same time, what steps have you taken to file lawsuit and/or press charges on the actual scammers?
Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #37
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,387
Re: I JUST WON 200K... DID I? #888Poker

OP, you should consider posting a poll in NVG to see what people here think. Plus, it would get viewed by more people and might rattle enough cages to help with possible resolution.
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online