Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Tournament Events Live updates from major events, logistics, trip reports, and other live (not televised) major tournament discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,412
Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Just noticed that they have updated Bravo to show that schedule should be released on March 1st. Series will run from May 29th through July 3rd this year...

They had some good events last year...although it was also where I got my first ever penalty. Also the first time I saw someone putting out a straddle in a tournament...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
deadlysyns
adept
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 976
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
Just noticed that they have updated Bravo to show that schedule should be released on March 1st. Series will run from May 29th through July 3rd this year...

They had some good events last year...although it was also where I got my first ever penalty. Also the first time I saw someone putting out a straddle in a tournament...
no straddle in tournaments, its just a blind raise.
deadlysyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,412
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlysyns View Post
no straddle in tournaments, its just a blind raise.
You know that, I know that...and everyone else likely knew what was described. And regardless of what one wants to label it, the reality is I had never seen that during a tournament before. Dude busted out even before the second level had been completed.
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
chrisp200
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 492
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

If by "good events" you mean: terrible structures and high rake, than yes they had good events last year.
chrisp200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,412
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp200 View Post
If by "good events" you mean: terrible structures and high rake, than yes they had good events last year.
Structure seemed fine in the ones I played...and they had lower price points on events that most others were not even willing to run like the triple-draw mix. I am one of those that likes something other than a list of nothing but NLHE events...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
SMPoker
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 229
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Almost exact dates as last year, just one extra day earlier. Really hope this means Main is last weekend in June.

Can't speak for the other events but the Main value as far as chips/buyin/structure is one of the best non WSOP events. Nice to have the large, well lit ballroom with free wifi instead of a smoky and loud casino floor. Management was from WSOP so very well run as well.
SMPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
carlo
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,661
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

I played last year and it was a great venue. As above, the convention hall was perfect and the structures were as good as any. I did find that the rake was higher than most but all in all not a deal breaker.

I did a calculation at that time and for example the Aria, in the $400, gave back 81% to the players while the golden nugget ($150) series gave back 73 %.

The 73 % was a common give back for the dailies outside the world series time period such as the Aria $125 daily .

Looking forward to playing again this year.
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
plog
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 181
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
I did a calculation at that time and for example the Aria, in the $400, gave back 81% to the players while the golden nugget ($150) series gave back 73 %.
Not really fair to compare a $400 tournament rake to a $150 tournament rake. For last year I did a comparison of structures and rakes in various price ranges for all summer no limit tournaments in Vegas:

http://www.rainbowspuppiessunshine.c...c/analysis.php

I will update that to 2018 data once all structures are online.
plog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,366
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

The structure is fine but the rake is high. Busted last year when my AA ran into 77. Guy flopped a 7 and I hit the door. I was running over the soft field and only lost from that bad beat. Better to be lucky than good.
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
DafarginNuts
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 137
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

theres something about being downtown for me during the WSOP and Grand Series. The vibe is very appealing. Much more down to earth than the strip..
I hope Binions brings back the Senior event.
DafarginNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:02 AM   #11
daChimp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
daChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mom's basement
Posts: 7,143
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Meh View Post
The structure is fine but the rake is high. Busted last year when my AA ran into 77. Guy flopped a 7 and I hit the door. I was running over the soft field and only lost from that bad beat. Better to be lucky than good.
Waaaaaahhhh.... jk

See ya out there this summer
daChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 AM   #12
shellly39
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: nottingham
Posts: 9
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
Just noticed that they have updated Bravo to show that schedule should be released on March 1st. Series will run from May 29th through July 3rd this year...

They had some good events last year...although it was also where I got my first ever penalty. Also the first time I saw someone putting out a straddle in a tournament...
the $150 events were mega the guarantees were mangled $$$$ fantastic value all depends what dates they will be 1st march schedule out means should be away from other events thou
shellly39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:43 AM   #13
Jack Eight
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 381
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

The 2018 Grand Poker Series schedule:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2056205556
Jack Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #14
lv2plapkr
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Here
Posts: 73
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Thanks for posting Jack, I noticed something unusual, they have 2 HORSE events, one on 5/30 and the other on 7/1 and none in June when most players are in town!
lv2plapkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #15
QueenOfSpades
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 122
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Thank you for including a Ladies event!
QueenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
DafarginNuts
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 137
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Four senior events all within 5 days GGGRRREEEAAAAAT!!!!
I really hope they have a decent structure.
Now hope Binions comes up with a decent PLO event between Seniors
DafarginNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #17
starvin_drummer
grinder
 
starvin_drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: in a van
Posts: 463
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2plapkr View Post
Thanks for posting Jack, I noticed something unusual, they have 2 HORSE events, one on 5/30 and the other on 7/1 and none in June when most players are in town!
I feel your pain here. I'm in town for 8 or 9 days at the end of June and would love to jump in a HORSE event somewhere. Hoping another series has one during that time.
starvin_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #18
akashenk
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,826
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvin_drummer View Post
I feel your pain here. I'm in town for 8 or 9 days at the end of June and would love to jump in a HORSE event somewhere. Hoping another series has one during that time.
It looks like the WSOP HORSE events are during the first half of June, or the middle of July. So I would imagine other venues would try to schedule around that, which may be unfortunate for the time period you’ll be in own.
akashenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #19
starvin_drummer
grinder
 
starvin_drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: in a van
Posts: 463
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashenk View Post
It looks like the WSOP HORSE events are during the first half of June, or the middle of July. So I would imagine other venues would try to schedule around that, which may be unfortunate for the time period you’ll be in own.
There will be no shortage of opportunities whether it is NLHE or otherwise so I'll be good to go.
starvin_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #20
Zamees_
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

One issue I see between the schedules, the $570 OE tourney on Jun 21.
Venetian running their $600 OE $50k/guarantee on the same day.

The good part is GN will start at 10am, with late entry at Venetian open till 5pm (starts at 1pm). If Venetian shifted their start time back to 4pm with late entry till 8pm. That would make this perfect allowing many players to play both.
Zamees_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #21
Stu Ungar
Pooh-Bah
 
Stu Ungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,858
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Any word on how many starting chips, and how long are the blind levels for the $150 Dailys?
Stu Ungar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #22
carlo
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,661
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Ungar View Post
Any word on how many starting chips, and how long are the blind levels for the $150 Dailys?
Last year, 15,000 chips , 30 minute levels, 20K guaranteed.
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
Stu Ungar
Pooh-Bah
 
Stu Ungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,858
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo View Post
Last year, 15,000 chips , 30 minute levels, 20K guaranteed.
Thank you..in previous years I think it may have been 40 minute levels, but fewer chips..12,000?
Stu Ungar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #24
carlo
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,661
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Ungar View Post
Thank you..in previous years I think it may have been 40 minute levels, but fewer chips..12,000?
Dunno' last year was my first and for some reason I thought it was 20,000 chips but not so.
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #25
akashenk
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,826
Re: Golden Nugget (NV) Grand Poker Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamees_ View Post
One issue I see between the schedules, the $570 OE tourney on Jun 21.
Venetian running their $600 OE $50k/guarantee on the same day.

The good part is GN will start at 10am, with late entry at Venetian open till 5pm (starts at 1pm). If Venetian shifted their start time back to 4pm with late entry till 8pm. That would make this perfect allowing many players to play both.
I don't think the Venetian will change its schedule after release, especially the start time. However, I could be wrong when it comes to smaller or mixed events. You can check with the TD at

Email: Thomas.larosa@sands.com

Twitter: @venetiantd
akashenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online