Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Tournament Events Live updates from major events, logistics, trip reports, and other live (not televised) major tournament discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
bigtex21
Pooh-Bah
 
bigtex21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 5,880
Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

You can find schedule here: https://jsommerfeld.egnyte.com/openp...f-1583cae4eaac
bigtex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
8swanky1
centurion
 
8swanky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 104
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

I don't understand why Jimmy has taken away the 2nd weekend $250-$400 multi-flight tourneys from Saturday. It makes ZERO sense to move that to Thur-Fri.

It seems like many changes that he's made are pro-friendly and anti-rec.

Maybe that's why the field sizes are consistently declining.
8swanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
SJCX
adept
 
SJCX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 900
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

10k buy in? Can't wait to see how many runners it gets
SJCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
J_early
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 300
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Pretty sure that is the worst schedule I have seen for a Choctaw major series. Outside of the WPT main there is not a single tourney I can get excited about. If it is not broke don't fix it. Go back to the Choctaw schedules of 2017 and forget about it.
J_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,784
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Disappointed to see that it is basically a NLHE-fest...Durant used to be noted for a far-wider array of games than existed with a lot of tournament locations.

The low buy-in tends also to kill some of the entry totals...there simply isn't enough money there to make it worth the drive. This has been apparent over the past several years with the women's events...the $100 buy-in barely gets 100-120 entries. As I recall, there was a larger turnout when it was a $200 or $250 price point.

Another one that I have not seen in a while was the Seniors 6-max...it was on the calendar last January (2018) and had a decent turnout (as I recall, it was about 250 entries). While not a huge number compared to some events, getting that many for a seniors event is not a bad number, especially since the 6-max takes some senior players out of the usual element.

With it being a WPT event, I am guessing Jimmy's hands are tied as it relates to ante structure (he was one of the last TD's who ran a traditional ante but WPT tends to insist on BBA). But Jimmy had control over the side events...so seeing the change on this one makes me wonder how much of that is Jimmy and how much is WPT demands...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
vinnybstgk
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 20
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Any hotel codes available yet?
vinnybstgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #7
bigtex21
Pooh-Bah
 
bigtex21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 5,880
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybstgk View Post
Any hotel codes available yet?
Not yet I was told it the discount code will be out in a couple of weeks.
bigtex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:35 AM   #8
femacejo
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 48
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

The final WSOP-C (of this season) in New Orleans starts on Thurs., May 9th.

As much as I like Choctaw, I think I'll skip this WPT series and head to NoLa instead.

In previous years, I've run into several Houston/Dallas players during this NoLa WSOP-C stop. I wonder how many will chose Choctaw this time around.
femacejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
bigtex21
Pooh-Bah
 
bigtex21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 5,880
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by femacejo View Post
The final WSOP-C (of this season) in New Orleans starts on Thurs., May 9th.

As much as I like Choctaw, I think I'll skip this WPT series and head to NoLa instead.

In previous years, I've run into several Houston/Dallas players during this NoLa WSOP-C stop. I wonder how many will chose Choctaw this time around.
The players chasing points will be in New Orleans
bigtex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #10
Jimmy Sommerfeld
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8swanky1 View Post
I don't understand why Jimmy has taken away the 2nd weekend $250-$400 multi-flight tourneys from Saturday. It makes ZERO sense to move that to Thur-Fri.

It seems like many changes that he's made are pro-friendly and anti-rec.

Maybe that's why the field sizes are consistently declining.
Because Mothers day is Sunday! Last time this happened the players could not or would not play in a multi flight where they had to come back on mothers day! AHHHHH Now it makes sense? I look ahead and take notes...I dont just cookie cutter my schedule and then say wow what happened.
Jimmy Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #11
Jimmy Sommerfeld
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8swanky1 View Post
I don't understand why Jimmy has taken away the 2nd weekend $250-$400 multi-flight tourneys from Saturday. It makes ZERO sense to move that to Thur-Fri.

It seems like many changes that he's made are pro-friendly and anti-rec.

Maybe that's why the field sizes are consistently declining.
Wpt usually attracts many pros that normally do not come to other events. I would not say that it is Pro heavy however except that i will try a 10k event. Even if I did not have the 10k event the schedule would have been the same. I cannot have a second weekend multi flight on Saturday So I moved it on thursday and friday. ( Due to mothers day) I also added on week 3 a multi flight monster stack. I put some aggressive guarantees. As far as January goes the numbers are down because WSOP moved our event up a week and it prohibits us from having a preliminary week. My hands are tied. I am welcome to suggestions as I try hard to make the best schedule possible.
Jimmy Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:23 AM   #12
Jimmy Sommerfeld
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
Disappointed to see that it is basically a NLHE-fest...Durant used to be noted for a far-wider array of games than existed with a lot of tournament locations.

The low buy-in tends also to kill some of the entry totals...there simply isn't enough money there to make it worth the drive. This has been apparent over the past several years with the women's events...the $100 buy-in barely gets 100-120 entries. As I recall, there was a larger turnout when it was a $200 or $250 price point.

Another one that I have not seen in a while was the Seniors 6-max...it was on the calendar last January (2018) and had a decent turnout (as I recall, it was about 250 entries). While not a huge number compared to some events, getting that many for a seniors event is not a bad number, especially since the 6-max takes some senior players out of the usual element.

With it being a WPT event, I am guessing Jimmy's hands are tied as it relates to ante structure (he was one of the last TD's who ran a traditional ante but WPT tends to insist on BBA). But Jimmy had control over the side events...so seeing the change on this one makes me wonder how much of that is Jimmy and how much is WPT demands...
Wpt forces us to used BBA I decided to have a regular Seniors and a monster stack seniors. Next time i will try a 6 max again since you asked. As far as it being alot of no-limit, I agree. But its a numbers game. I like to play mixed and other type games myself (I even like LIMIT) but we are a minority. Poker has gone to no-limit. I try to squeeze non no limit and the numbers drop. I will look to add a few more in July. I predict July may be one of the biggest tournaments we have ever had. I try hard to give back to the players as much as I can. Last year we gave the players a FREEROLL of over $150,000. We also gave $5 match play. Its really hard to get a casino to give back over 150k to the players out of their drop. I will continue to strive to make it a great stop for the players.
Jimmy Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #13
Jimmy Sommerfeld
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_early View Post
Pretty sure that is the worst schedule I have seen for a Choctaw major series. Outside of the WPT main there is not a single tourney I can get excited about. If it is not broke don't fix it. Go back to the Choctaw schedules of 2017 and forget about it.
suggestions for July....
Jimmy Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #14
Jimmy Sommerfeld
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybstgk View Post
Any hotel codes available yet?
wpt19
Jimmy Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #15
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,784
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Sommerfeld View Post
Wpt forces us to used BBA I decided to have a regular Seniors and a monster stack seniors. Next time i will try a 6 max again since you asked. As far as it being alot of no-limit, I agree. But its a numbers game. I like to play mixed and other type games myself (I even like LIMIT) but we are a minority. Poker has gone to no-limit. I try to squeeze non no limit and the numbers drop. I will look to add a few more in July. I predict July may be one of the biggest tournaments we have ever had. I try hard to give back to the players as much as I can. Last year we gave the players a FREEROLL of over $150,000. We also gave $5 match play. Its really hard to get a casino to give back over 150k to the players out of their drop. I will continue to strive to make it a great stop for the players.
I wish more TD's would listen to the players the way you (and Chris at PH) do. Too many of them simply ignore the players, without whom there would be no need for a tournament (or a tournament director).

Looking forward to July and a Seniors 6-max (just don't make it a BBA event) I'll need some place to piss away all of my WSOP winnings LOL!
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #16
deadlysyns
adept
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 998
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Sommerfeld View Post
Wpt forces us to used BBA I decided to have a regular Seniors and a monster stack seniors. Next time i will try a 6 max again since you asked. As far as it being alot of no-limit, I agree. But its a numbers game. I like to play mixed and other type games myself (I even like LIMIT) but we are a minority. Poker has gone to no-limit. I try to squeeze non no limit and the numbers drop. I will look to add a few more in July. I predict July may be one of the biggest tournaments we have ever had. I try hard to give back to the players as much as I can. Last year we gave the players a FREEROLL of over $150,000. We also gave $5 match play. Its really hard to get a casino to give back over 150k to the players out of their drop. I will continue to strive to make it a great stop for the players.
Put your Plo and congress tourneys during the weekend for a bigger turnout instead of in the middle of the week.
deadlysyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #17
bigtex21
Pooh-Bah
 
bigtex21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 5,880
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Sommerfeld View Post
Wpt forces us to used BBA I decided to have a regular Seniors and a monster stack seniors. Next time i will try a 6 max again since you asked. As far as it being alot of no-limit, I agree. But its a numbers game. I like to play mixed and other type games myself (I even like LIMIT) but we are a minority. Poker has gone to no-limit. I try to squeeze non no limit and the numbers drop. I will look to add a few more in July. I predict July may be one of the biggest tournaments we have ever had. I try hard to give back to the players as much as I can. Last year we gave the players a FREEROLL of over $150,000. We also gave $5 match play. Its really hard to get a casino to give back over 150k to the players out of their drop. I will continue to strive to make it a great stop for the players.
Since many are asking for non NLH events can I ask for a 5 or 7 card stud tourney? But then you might have to hold a class teaching it.
bigtex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
Black Aces 518
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Black Aces 518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: same dances in the same ole shoes
Posts: 8,529
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

razz razz razz razz razz
Black Aces 518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #19
J_early
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 300
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Sommerfeld View Post
suggestions for July....
Thanks for stopping in Jimmy. Love your crew and the way you run things, but the past few schedules have been a little disappointing. I would love to see the options below being offered Friday-Sunday.

$350-$500 Big multi-flight with a $500K guarantee like you always had
$500-$1,000-8 handed NL. 10 handed tables are just miserable
$500-$1,000-PLO/NL mix
$500-$1,000 Heads up NL
$500-1,000-8 Game or Horse
J_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,784
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex21 View Post
Since many are asking for non NLH events can I ask for a 5 or 7 card stud tourney? But then you might have to hold a class teaching it.
I'm in on the event as long as the entry fee is under a grand...prefer 7-card to five card though.

So...you got at least a second on your motion LOL!
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #21
Jimmy Sommerfeld
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_early View Post
Thanks for stopping in Jimmy. Love your crew and the way you run things, but the past few schedules have been a little disappointing. I would love to see the options below being offered Friday-Sunday.

$350-$500 Big multi-flight with a $500K guarantee like you always had
$500-$1,000-8 handed NL. 10 handed tables are just miserable
$500-$1,000-PLO/NL mix
$500-$1,000 Heads up NL
$500-1,000-8 Game or Horse
You will see some of these in July since you asked.
No heads up... Too complicated and turnout was eh
I cant miss guarantee again lol I like my job. But Ill crunch some numbers.
Ill do an 8 Handed.
Ill do plo Nl Mix
Not fond of the 8 game but may put it in.

As far as putting a weekend of Mixed games ...It cant happen. Its a numbers game
Jimmy Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #22
Jimmy Sommerfeld
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlysyns View Post
Put your Plo and congress tourneys during the weekend for a bigger turnout instead of in the middle of the week.
Cant happen. Its a numbers game and I cant take away a No Limit event that draws 3-4000 players for a mix game even if it drew 400.

Believe me Im tired of all the no limit holdem also, but casinos need entries.
Jimmy Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #23
J_early
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 300
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Sommerfeld View Post
You will see some of these in July since you asked.
No heads up... Too complicated and turnout was eh
I cant miss guarantee again lol I like my job. But Ill crunch some numbers.
Ill do an 8 Handed.
Ill do plo Nl Mix
Not fond of the 8 game but may put it in.

As far as putting a weekend of Mixed games ...It cant happen. Its a numbers game
You are the man Jimmy. 8 handed, $800 buy in, 80K starting stack with a Friday and Saturday flight and day two on Sunday would surely get 500+ runners. Run it alongside a $200 or something to provide a lower buy in option to give you the numbers you need. Give it a name like the WSOP does with the Big 50 or Crazy Eights and your set.
J_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:14 AM   #24
ledn
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 36
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex21 View Post
Link isnt working for me anymore. Are there good mixed game tourneys during the week? Might head off to Vegas early and stop by for this instead of going to New Orleans. Avoid all them points grinders, but I have heard good things about cash games there so IDK.
ledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #25
bigtex21
Pooh-Bah
 
bigtex21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 5,880
Re: Choctaw Durant Ok WPT May 2-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledn View Post
Link isnt working for me anymore. Are there good mixed game tourneys during the week? Might head off to Vegas early and stop by for this instead of going to New Orleans. Avoid all them points grinders, but I have heard good things about cash games there so IDK.
Try this link: https://jsommerfeld.egnyte.com/openp...d-dc1300317b37
bigtex21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online